PDA

View Full Version : Holes in the ground >:O

Jojee
07-18-2007, 12:25 PM
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa316/chinajapan2007/b-31.jpg

So I just got back from a trip to China & Japan, and I'm super glad to be back in the land of sanitary, sitting toilets n_n; The picture above is a typical Chinese toilet; in fact, it's the entire bathroom of the house that I stayed in while in Beijing.

What you do is... crouch... ;o And do your stuff, ya?

How do you feel about crouchy toilets? ^_^ Have you used them before? Do you have the (mis)fortune to be living in an Asian country that is filled with them and use them often?

I imagine that something like that (it's pretty small) in so small an area (the bathroom was tiny) would be really tough for someone to use if they were very overweight! So like... a lot of Americans would probably have much difficulty with it. :| ...And crouching for long periods of time is PAINFUL. *works out with crouches!*

:kaofight2:

Jess
07-18-2007, 12:43 PM
I like to sit down whilst using the toilet, which is why I'm pleased I'm a female and living in England. :jess:

Loony BoB
07-18-2007, 12:48 PM
I wonder if there are any reasons they don't change to the western style of toilets.

Jojee
07-18-2007, 12:55 PM
Probably there's too many and lack of funds or whatever! The newest and bestest places already use sitting toilets, and some houses have them too, but the majority of places still use the crouching kind. Especially public places =[

Fynn
07-18-2007, 01:15 PM
Right, I live in Poland and some people qualify it as an Eastern European country. We don't have these... Holes, instead of toilets. However, our closest neighbour to the east - Lithuania - they do. I was once on a trip with a choir there and we stayed at this... Let's call it a hotel. They had the same stuff as the thing in your picture. The only diference is that it was orange...

Resha
07-18-2007, 01:37 PM
I wonder if there are any reasons they don't change to the western style of toilets.

Well, sometimes crouching toilets in public places like malls and stuff can be a bit of a boon; no fear of infections from dirty seats and stuff. I know some of my friends prefer to crouch for a little while as opposed to using filthy foul dubious-looking seats.

And yes, Asian country, yes, yes! But they're actually not that common. A few public places will have only crouching toilets, but mostly sitting ones. And most homes have sitting ones, too!

Orange holes sound pretty cool :p

daggertrepe
07-18-2007, 02:06 PM
Ew, this would be OK if you were a guy trying to go pee. For a girl, it's lose/lose.

Obsidian
07-18-2007, 02:24 PM
I suppose constantly having to crouch would help make sure you are in good shape. If you don't have good thigh strength, you could topple over while you are trying to do your business! :(

Namelessfengir
07-18-2007, 03:12 PM
I suppose constantly having to crouch would help make sure you are in good shape. If you don't have good thigh strength, you could topple over while you are trying to do your business! :(

:lol: that's probably why they keep them, to have a laugh at the tourist expence. id laugh

Chimp
07-18-2007, 03:45 PM
With western style toilets, the bowl volume ensures that if you aren't doing something stupid, the urine will not bounce back and hit you.

For people with strong streams, those crouching toilets offer NO splash protection.

I would rather pee outdoors than get my shoes messed up in that place.

Fynn
07-18-2007, 03:57 PM

Actually, Lithuanians DO seem to be in good shape :D

rubah
07-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Oh my word. Jojo, you should've just learned to pee standing up. All girls should incase they go to china!

Jojee
07-18-2007, 07:07 PM
Look it's not like I haven't tried, but at the end it always drips down your leg and it's gross and then you have to shower and waste a ton of time and it was all for nothing. D:<

We just aren't properly equipped... x_X;;

Northcrest
07-18-2007, 07:10 PM
[QUOTE=Jojee;2251273]http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa316/chinajapan2007/b-31.jpg

:eek: wow

Flying Mullet
07-18-2007, 07:21 PM
When my wife and I last went to Japan we bought an electric toilet seat to bring back with us so the seat would be warm for her in the winter. xD

The Ceej
07-18-2007, 07:27 PM
I think I'm a little more worried about whether that small square in the corner was your shower. I couldn't use that as a shower or bath or whatnot. Please tell me it wasn't.

Jojee
07-18-2007, 07:35 PM
No, thankfully. xD I have no idea what that was. I didn't bother to or want to examine it closely. You just showered holding the showerhead while standing on the floor (wearing slippers of course n_n) and all the water went into the drain on the floor. (If you look really hard, you can see it by the box thing!)

And yeah, Japan has a lot more normal toilets than China. Cleaner ones, too. With toilet paper o_o;

Miriel
07-18-2007, 07:41 PM
I've used "hole in the ground" toilets before when I went to Korea. I was aghast, and I was NOT expecting it. I was like 11 years old at the time, told my parents I needed to use the bathroom, and then found myself staring at a dark hole in the ground. I think I ran out screaming. :p

Yamaneko
07-18-2007, 09:09 PM
Once again the superiority of men over women is illustrated empirically. Also, America is the best!

Fonzie
07-18-2007, 09:10 PM
I've used "hole in the ground" toilets before when I went to Korea. I was aghast, and I was NOT expecting it. I was like 11 years old at the time, told my parents I needed to use the bathroom, and then found myself staring at a dark hole in the ground. I think I ran out screaming. :p

Did you talk to Kim?

Jessweeee♪
07-18-2007, 11:07 PM
We dig a hole in the ground when we go camping on the beach. It's not fun T~T

Iceglow
07-18-2007, 11:37 PM
I've known plenty of people (female) to be able to pee without covering themselves in it from a crouching position.

DK
07-18-2007, 11:45 PM
Yes, I experienced this when I went to visit family in India and Nepal. I was like 11 years old, had no idea what it was going to be like and walked into this public toilet to be greeted by some rancid hole in the floor and a giant cockroach on the wall. I was not impressed.

Brennan
07-18-2007, 11:47 PM
This... is... awkward

fire_of_avalon
07-19-2007, 01:30 AM
Looks to be about similar to going outside, which I learned to do probably before I was potty trained. No big deal.

Hambone
07-19-2007, 03:23 AM
What if the guys just need to pee? :(

Brennan
07-19-2007, 03:28 AM
What if they guys just need to pee? :(

Damn! Had to remind me... :(

rubah
07-19-2007, 04:30 AM
You just wait yams. I'm going to become the best lady freestanding peer and then I'm going to pee in your face>:[

Doomie
07-19-2007, 04:34 AM
Look it's not like I haven't tried, but at the end it always drips down your leg and it's gross and then you have to shower and waste a ton of time and it was all for nothing. D:<

There are a few things in this world that I would never want to hear anyone say, (especially an overly-hyper, small, Asian woman).

That was one.

Edit: Even if you spread your legs really, REALLY, wide? lolz sexual innuendo.

Jojee
07-19-2007, 05:01 AM
*slaps Doomie*
You didn't want to hear it because you'd like too much! n_n
*slams Yams too, just for fun*

Crouching to pee isn't bad. Crouching to poo for an extended period of time is bad >=[ Especially in a very small space in a funny position since you're trying to not touch anything.

I say a lot of disturbing things, don't I :p

Yamaneko
07-19-2007, 05:10 AM
LET'S TALK MORE ABOUT BODILY FUNCTIONS

Nominus Experse
07-19-2007, 05:25 AM
Lots of room to smurf / masturbate in those bathrooms. Though there is the chance that one of you will disappear into the abyss.

It'd be like Pitfall, but much, much worse.

Leen-Leen
07-19-2007, 05:34 AM
Oh my goodness xD I remember those toilets from when I used to live in Japan when I was little. When I was little I absolutely refused to use them, I probably only used it like once or twice the four years that I lived there.

It was just too ... weird and disgusting ...

At least in the neighborhood where I lived we had the sitting toilets xD

Jojee
07-19-2007, 05:51 AM
Smurfing in those bathrooms? D; Please tell me you're kidding. All that bumping into things... dirty... wall... things... UGH gross.

Shiny
07-19-2007, 06:00 AM
Brings a whole new meaning to bumping uglies doesn't it? Also, where's the toilet paper? :-\

Nominus Experse
07-19-2007, 06:02 AM
No, Jojee, the internet is serious business, you see. I never say things in a sarcastic manner.

Jojee
07-19-2007, 06:14 AM
Somewhere on the wall sitting on a pipe :p Chinese public bathrooms don't have toilet paper, you need to bring your own. If you forget... then sucks to be you. D: Really.

Hahah and with all your smurfing rep, Nom, I wouldn't be so surprised if you were serious! :|

CimminyCricket
07-19-2007, 06:42 AM
He was serious.

rubah
07-19-2007, 07:23 AM
I loved the demo of pitfall I had

Yamaneko
07-19-2007, 07:26 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ef/Omf-2097.png

Nominus Experse
07-19-2007, 07:31 AM
One Must Fall into the abyss known as the Chinese toilet in 2097