PDA

View Full Version : Guilty Gear 2 - Goin' 3D. On the 360. And it's...different.

JKTrix
07-18-2007, 12:48 PM
This is from Famitsu. Judging by the pictures and bit of text I can read, it's going to be a 3D "melee action" game. And it's on the 360.

It mentions something about 'Real Time' on the right hand side. I wish the scan was bigger because I can't read most of the other stuff (not like I'd be able to read much anyway). The other guy who isn't Sol is named 'Sin', which is printed clearly in roman letters.

Curious, they're calling it "Guilty Gear 2" as if it's the direction the series is going in. Hopefully some more information will surface soon, but right now I am not impressed.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/JKTrix/guiltygear2.jpg

Madame Adequate
07-18-2007, 01:37 PM
I can't wait for the people in love with 2d games to find out :D

Markus. D
07-18-2007, 01:40 PM
:3

Well yay~

KentaRawr!
07-18-2007, 01:42 PM
This is why banning people who visit the General Gaming Discussion side of the forum should be banned. :3

Anyway, this looks... interesting. I was never a big fan of Guilty Gear, but I'm still interested to see how this turns out.

Maxico
07-18-2007, 03:44 PM
What a horrible idea, I've never played Guilty Gear but the ingame artwork I saw of it was always amazing, pretty much the only thing that interested me in it.

This has nothing for me.

Raebus
07-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Yeah, what a horrible idea! I mean, I haven't it played myself but I'm going to join the crowd that hates it even if they haven't played the 2d versions and have only seen screen shots. DOWN WITH THE PEOPLE WHO MADE THIS, ETC. >=[

Dreddz
07-18-2007, 04:33 PM
The only thing im surprised about is that its exclusively for the 360. 2D games are dying out and they seem to only be living on on handhelds, Ive expected for some time that big 2D franchises will leap to 3D and likely try to stay there. King of Fighters and maybe now Guilty Gear, just wait til Street Fighter 4 is announced in 3D, just wait...

As for this game in particular, well GGXX Slash is probably my favourite game of all time, so this news is hard to digest. Whats hardest to get through is that it wont be a real fighting game, so I may not even bother with this title. It may still be as fantastic as previous games, but I wont hold my breath. Ill wait for more news to come out first still.

Maxico
07-18-2007, 04:46 PM
Yeah, what a horrible idea! I mean, I haven't it played myself but I'm going to join the crowd that hates it even if they haven't played the 2d versions and have only seen screen shots. DOWN WITH THE PEOPLE WHO MADE THIS, ETC. >=[

Ohoho, aren't you the witty one.

All I'm saying is that I'm a big supporter of 2D artwork in games. I generally prefer 2D artwork to it's 3D counterparts. I feel that one less beautifully animated 2D game and one more generic 3D "melee action game" is a bad move, regardless of the quality of each title.

I havn't played Guilty Gear to any great extend, but I have seen enough to appreciate the artwork and animation that goes into each game, something that I don't feel can be matched by 3D animation.

I would also like to point out that the reason for this change is almost certainly due to the fact that it's cheaper to this in 3D than to produce the HD resolution sprites needed for such a game, rather than a stylistic decision.
Possibly also due to RAM contraints in the 360 but I'm not too sure how big of an issue that is.

Wolf Kanno
07-19-2007, 07:55 AM
If it's going to be like Soul Calibur Legends, then I really don't care. If they are trying to make the series go 3D then I'm disgusted cause it will absolutely destroy the games refined combat system. 3D fighters have always seemed too sluggish for my taste and GG has always been about fast and intese battles where half the time you don't know what's going on. My battles with friends turn into pure pyrotechnic mayhem that would make DBZ proud.

From the looks of it, it seems to be an action game though. "Melee Action" may be either a poor marketing ploy (since the industry feels beat em ups are dead) or it means it will be an action game with fighting game senseibilities for it's combat system. Hopefully it will actually play well since it's never worked in the past.:rolleyes2

DK
07-19-2007, 01:42 PM
Yeah this looks pretty retarded, tbh. You have one of the best fighting games ever made, with an awesome fighting engine and everything, and then turn it into what looks like Kingdom Hearts with GG characters? What the fuck, man, seriously.

JKTrix
07-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Apparently the 'Real Time' part I read suggest 'Real Time Strategy'.
Arc System Works Announces Guilty Gear 2 news from 1UP.com (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161381)

I hope they didn't look at Soul Calibur 3's Chronicles of the Sword mode and say 'Hey, that was pretty nifty! Let's do that!'

Cuz it sucked.

The only good '3D-action-game-that-was-spun-off-from-a-fighting-game' I've played is Ninja Gaiden. And that almost doesn't count.

KentaRawr!
07-19-2007, 05:00 PM
The only good '3D-action-game-that-was-spun-off-from-a-fighting-game' I've played is Ninja Gaiden. And that almost doesn't count.

No, it doesn't count at all. >_>

Maxico
07-19-2007, 05:21 PM

That's 'a character from a 2D action game becomes a minor character in 3D fighting game'.

That's the complete opposite of what's going on here.

JKTrix
07-19-2007, 08:51 PM
That's 'a character from a 2D action game becomes a minor character in 3D fighting game'.

That's the complete opposite of what's going on here.

...who then reappeared in his own 3D action game, which was based off *both* the old 2d game *and* the fighting game. 'New' Ninja Gaiden can be called a spinoff of DOA for various reasons. But it is disputable, which is why I said it 'almost doesn't count'.

The point I was trying to make is that a good fighting game spinoff that isn't a fighting game doesn't exist.

Don't test me on DOA/Ninja Gaiden history kids :P

CimminyCricket
07-19-2007, 08:56 PM
This has suck written all over it. ;_;

Roto13
07-20-2007, 12:38 AM
So did Guilty Gear X, so I'm not unhappy about any drastic changes they make. :p

(Ok, so I only played GG X for an hour. My opinion is worth very little.)

Lionx
07-20-2007, 10:59 AM
Very excited, just hope they learn from KoF MI and do the right moves to make sure they make it a nonturtle based game with enough general moves and unique moves like it always has now.

Will see how this pans out <3

CimminyCricket
07-20-2007, 03:58 PM
GGX was fun ^_^