PDA

View Full Version : Why do people think the voice acting is bad?

Hambone
07-20-2007, 06:59 AM
I thought everyone's voice suited their personalities well, but(!) everyone's voice was so different from one another that it gets "annoying" getting used to the variance in voices during cutscenes. Is this why everyone thinks the VA in this game is bad?

Dr. Acula
07-20-2007, 07:28 AM
I thought Yuna's voice acting was bad. Nobody else seemed to bother me though.

Zeromus_X
07-20-2007, 07:43 AM
Because people are picky and like to whine about insignificant things.

I enjoyed all of the characters' voices except Tidus's, although after playing through the game you kinda get used to it. At least Tidus puts emotion into his voice, unlike Vaan from FFXII, who sounds like he has a cold all the time.

Admittedly, I was too busy reading the subtitles to worry about the mismatched lip syncing thing. :p

Rikku, the Al Bhed
07-20-2007, 04:54 PM
Because people are picky and like to whine about insignificant things.

I enjoyed all of the characters' voices except Tidus's, although after playing through the game you kinda get used to it. At least Tidus puts emotion into his voice, unlike Vaan from FFXII, who sounds like he has a cold all the time.

Admittedly, I was too busy reading the subtitles to worry about the mismatched lip syncing thing. :p

I agree, Vaan is an emotional stone. Seriously, Tidus actually expresses his emotions. He's not afraid to hide them, plus during the game, he really does grow up. I love the guy!

LunarWeaver
07-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Wakka, Rikku, Tidus, Kimahri, Lulu, and Auron are all done by professional voice actors that have been in other things nobody ever bitches about. I would blame any woes with Tidus on the voice director for making him play the part very high-pitched through a large portion of the journey. Ours sounds better than the Japanese VA in my opinion, so what can ya do.

Yuna is done by a regular actress...I think she's really good, she just had to read the lines in awkward fashions to match the lips a lot of the time.

If you took the Final Fantasy title away, people would have probably been much more lenient with it. If you want to hear some truly bad voice-acting, go play the first Baten Kaitos on the Gamecube. That will make you appreciate how much work went into this game to find good voices.

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
07-20-2007, 08:31 PM
i didn't dilike the voice acting, i actually thought it was quite good. although the lip syncing wasn't anything special.

ReloadPsi
07-20-2007, 10:27 PM
According to an FAQ on GameFAQs, the Japanese version's lipsync was off too, not that I remember where it was. Possibly a script translation guide or something.

Anyway, this is why I hate the voice acting.

There's these awkward pauses in between every single line.

Also, the characters talk so slowly that you will be done reading the subtitle before they even say the first few words.

Japanese sentences tend to vary in length in comparison to English ones. There are times where twenty Japanese words will translate back to about ten in English, and vice versa.

Because Square were a bit lazy, they didn't make any... adjustments... to the game... in order to let the... English dialogue... flow more nicely.

Then... we end up with this... long pauses... in the middle of a goddamn sentence.

I hope you... have a good way to... keep yourself occupied... during all this.

Especially you, Yunalesca! I didn't LISTEN to your speech, I just pulled my laptop out and played on DOOM!

Jessweeee♪
07-20-2007, 11:27 PM
They had a lot of difficulty matching the words to the lips because Japanese sentences are much longer than English, so they often had...to talk...like...this...orsometimesreallyfastlikethis. Auron's VA didn't have as much trouble because his mouth was covered most of the time.

Namelessfengir
07-21-2007, 12:29 AM
i had no problem with the voice acting cause i grew up with damn bad dubbing of martial arts movies

cloud21zidane16
07-21-2007, 02:43 AM
the voice acting was good and i had no problem with it, but i much prefer the classic dialouge:p
also i only found out not long ago that Wakkas voice is the same guy who did Benders voice on futurama:D

Lone Wolf Leonhart
07-21-2007, 09:17 AM
I'm not sure why people thought the dialogue was bad, it was mostly the lip synching that was bad, as said before.

I was surprised when I found out Wakka and Kimahri were voiced by the same peson though.

Peter_20
07-21-2007, 04:19 PM
My favourites are the voices for Auron, Lulu and Kimahri, because they always did a great job.

The others are good as well, but they all make some irritating mistake at some point in the game.
Tidus is very annoying the first few hours of the game, Wakka sounds kinda bad during the line "damn!... great day I'm having" thing in the Bikanel Desert, and Yuna sounds way too nice and calm during the moments when she's supposed to be mad.
Oh, and Rikku acts way too much like Sephie during the latter parts of the game; I liked her much better on that Al Bhed ship, because back then she was actually likable, and she still had that Rikku-charm anyway.

...but in the end, the voice acting is truly nice and perfectly makes the FF series justice.

Galvatron
07-21-2007, 04:25 PM
YouTube - Tidus and Yuna laugh...out loud? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5FTJxfV3pc)

Also, a whole game filled with Tidus' horrible voice TALKING ALL THE TIME is way too much.

atlanteay
07-21-2007, 05:14 PM
It's funny that they got professional voice actors for the characters that spoke less. Wakka is voiced by the same guy that did Bender from Futurama :love: and Rikku's VA did almost all the cartoons i liked so it's pretty awesome. Then there's Yuna's voice that sounds like she's out of breath all the time. Tidus wasn't that annoying until he started screaming.

KasaiDraco
07-21-2007, 11:31 PM
the only voices i liked were wakka and rikku.

Peter_20
07-21-2007, 11:36 PM
the only voices i liked were wakka and rikku.You forgot about Auron. :D

cally777
07-25-2007, 01:10 AM
Its possible to carp about the VA, and I was sometimes irritated by Tidus voice. But even there u can argue he's in character. And if you get irritated by pauses in Yuna's VA, go play a 3D shooter or get some more ritalin by all means.

Really though we should celebrate the fact that the VA took FF to a whole new level, and the good IMO far outweighs the bad. Auron and Lulu are especially awesome.

:choc::choc::choc:

Jessweeee♪
07-25-2007, 10:13 PM
Tidus's VA, James Arnold Taylor, voiced a lot of things, including Leonardo in the most recent TMNT movie n.n

My friends and I were watching it, and were like OMG TIDUS GOT KIDNAPPED!!!

Godhand
07-25-2007, 10:25 PM
The voices were bad because the VAs were spending most of their time trying their hardest not to laugh at the outrageously bad script they had been given to read from.

Money's money, though, so they gave it their second-to-worst shot.

f f freak
07-25-2007, 10:29 PM
The voices were bad because the VAs were spending most of their time trying their hardest not to laugh at the outrageously bad script they had been given to read from.

Money's money, though, so they gave it their second-to-worst shot.

The script wasn't bad. The VA's I thought were particularly good except for Tidus but I just didn't like his voice. They were probably laughing at your sad attempts to make this game seem bad.

Godhand
07-25-2007, 10:39 PM
Yes, the VAs can see into the future to posts I make on the tubes. That sounds about as plausible as someone like you having a good comeback.

Zing!

f f freak
07-25-2007, 10:51 PM
Yes, the VAs can see into the future to posts I make on the tubes. That sounds about as plausible as someone like you having a good comeback.

Zing!

They can? Wow I was joking but I guess someone as, how should I put it, challeneged as you would believe such a thing. Thank you and Good night.

Bolivar
07-25-2007, 10:52 PM
other than it was slowly read at time, I had no problems at all with the voice acting, nor did I hear anyone else complain about it, until I checked what people on the internet were saying about this game.

I think some of it comes from the fact that XII's was much better, but that localization team put ALOT of effort into their part.

scrumpleberry
07-25-2007, 10:59 PM

Ditto, but I disliked JAT as Tidus. I simple didn't like his voice though, the quality of his voice ACTING was actually pretty good. Rikku's annoyed me as well, but just for HYPER SUGAR FF GURL YAY!ness.

Odaisé Gaelach
07-25-2007, 11:21 PM

Yeah, I thought that too.

Leen-Leen
07-26-2007, 02:50 AM
Everyone's voice acting was fine, except Yuna's. It felt way too ... different and strained. I liked Lulu, Auron's, and Rikku's voice acting the best, though. xD

demondude
07-26-2007, 11:36 AM

Zing!

I feel rude for intervening this argument.

But you godhand have not said a single nice comment on this forum.

Every single one of you're pathetic posts are just pieces of crap that is not gaining you any respect.

No one here likes you go and make some friends and try not to insult them every frigging time they speak to you.

So get lost stop insulting us and stop acting so retarded

Hazzard
07-26-2007, 12:14 PM
I feel it was due to bad timing. Especially for Yuna as she seemed almost robotic midway through one of her talks.

AOp
07-26-2007, 01:59 PM
I think some of the English actors tried too hard to match their voices to the lip movements of the characters. That is why all those big pauses showed up.

KasaiDraco
07-26-2007, 09:45 PM
the only voices i liked were wakka and rikku.You forgot about Auron. :D

I actually picked them because they are the only VA in the game that I like from other shows.

Jessweeee♪
07-27-2007, 12:53 AM
This thread makes me cry :cry:

Radje
07-27-2007, 01:29 AM
You mention Bender's VA voicing Wakka, but what about Tidus? His VA was Fry in Futurama wasn't he?

Jessweeee♪
07-27-2007, 01:41 AM
You mention Bender's VA voicing Wakka, but what about Tidus? His VA was Fry in Futurama wasn't he?

No, James Arnold Taylor voiced Tidus, Billy West voiced Fry :P

Tara Strong and James Arnold Taylor also worked on Drawn Together....and a lot of other things...DX

Radje
07-27-2007, 11:27 AM
Whoops. I wonder how long I've gone through life believing that lie...:confused:

TEDDYRAY
08-18-2007, 01:54 AM
the only voices i liked were wakka and rikku.
...Rikku was the best voice in the game in my opinion, fits her character perfect...

No.78
08-18-2007, 10:39 AM
I think the voice acting in 12 is worse XD

Hazzard
08-19-2007, 02:42 AM
Matt Mckenzie was wonderful, he made Auron's character so believable - the man who lived through hell, and came back...