PDA

View Full Version : FF7 PVP system

kawakami Gensai
07-21-2007, 01:07 AM
Here is a math challenge for any1 out there. I have an idea as to how to pit two different ff7 parties in battle by using a pen and paper system, but in order to do so I need to crack square's code (or so to say) for FF7. Basically I need to know point for point how traits like VIT and Agility work out mathematically. If this can be done a player vs player system can be devloped with a few tweaks. (And btw the ATB system couldnt really be used for a pen and paper system)
I intend to try to figure out how this works, but I was hoping that someone knew where I could find such info. At any rate this may take some time....:confused:

ReloadPsi
07-21-2007, 01:40 AM
On GameFAQs (http://www.gamefaqs.com), go to the FF7 section and read the "Battle Mechanics FAQ". It fully lists all the calculations for damage and so forth.

Here's the bugger: They're way more complex than can be done in a pen and paper RPG format, though you might be able to figure a way to simplify them and still reflect realistic FF7 figures. Also, a PVP system could only work competitively if HP could go up 99999 (but not damage) as a single 4x-Cut would mean victory for whomever pulled it off first.

Don't let me put you off having fun experimenting with this idea, though.

kawakami Gensai
07-21-2007, 02:57 AM
Well I developed a system to counter quick deaths. I plan to give each party member like 50 lives. This would make the game last longer.

Trisdyn
07-21-2007, 05:38 AM
That would still leave the problem of things like

Meteo, the simple magic spell, and Knights of the Round doing the same thing.

I don't really see what kind of problem there is, other then the quick deaths. I think you should really cut down the damage taken, but other then that it should work out pretty nicely.

leader of mortals
07-22-2007, 07:22 PM
maybe if you divide all damage dealt by 10, to a maximum of 999 damage in 1 attack, and make kights of the round do only 4 or 5 hits instead of 13.

Heath
07-22-2007, 11:13 PM
Or possibly even outlaw multiple hit attacks if you were to be terribly heavy-handed over it. Seems to me that characters would end up too overpowered anyway, to be honest.

Big D
07-23-2007, 02:17 AM
maybe if you divide all damage dealt by 10, to a maximum of 999 damage in 1 attack, and make kights of the round do only 4 or 5 hits instead of 13.That sounds like a good way to go:)

It should be reasonably easy to make a working replica of FFVII's battle mechanics using pen and paper; it'd just have to cut a few corners and simplify things a bit. Dice and such would be good for determining misses, criticals and the random damage modifiers. Maybe two dice - first one for hits (1=miss, 2 to 5=hit, 6=critical) and the other for damage randomisation.
Something like that, anyway.

leader of mortals
07-23-2007, 03:50 AM
maybe if you divide all damage dealt by 10, to a maximum of 999 damage in 1 attack, and make kights of the round do only 4 or 5 hits instead of 13.That sounds like a good way to go:)

It should be reasonably easy to make a working replica of FFVII's battle mechanics using pen and paper; it'd just have to cut a few corners and simplify things a bit. Dice and such would be good for determining misses, criticals and the random damage modifiers. Maybe two dice - first one for hits (1=miss, 2 to 5=hit, 6=critical) and the other for damage randomisation.
Something like that, anyway.

Then it would be a bit more like a board game, which would be a very good idea really. Pretty cool too:cool:

Captain Maxx Power
07-23-2007, 06:21 PM
For the sake of calculations I would try and reduce any damage done to single digits or below a la D&D. It would help to cap any other stats in the same vein as well, since attempting to calculate with pen and paper beyond double digits becomes tedious.

If it were me this is how I would do it;

Level ranges from 1 to 20. Main stats range from 1 to 20. At level 1 a character can distribute stat points between the six main stats, with luck set to a base value of 5. The highest valued stat, or alternatively a one the player chooses if their is a tie, is considered the primary stat. On levelling up they can place two stat points into their base stats, along with one point automatically added to their primary stat. Luck does not go up at all except every five levels, so level 5, 10, 15 and 20, and goes up by a number between 1 and 4. HP starts out as equal to Vitality stat + 10. On each level up you gain Level gained + Vitality * 2 HP e.g. On gaining level 9 with 11 Vitality, you would gain 9 + (11 * 2) = 31 HP. MP is the same except you only gain your Magic / 2 rounded stat. This bonus is applied after a player adds their stats for that level.

Now for combat. Each player can either choose a physical or magical attack. If a player chooses a physical then a check is done against the dexterity of the attacker and the defender. A player must roll higher than Defender Dex - Attacker Dex. E.g. 10 Dexterity Vs. 6 Dexterity = 4 or higher to hit. Rolls of 1's are automatic misses and 20's are automatic hits, so even players with high dexterity can miss targets/be hit. Once a hit has been determined then the damage done is equal to Weapon Power + Attacker Strength - Defender Vitality. If the value is below 1 the damage is considered to be 1. Damage done is capped at the attacker's level * 2. For magic elemental attacks automatically hit, and do (Attacker's Magic - Defender's Spirit) * Spell Power damage, with a bottom range of 1. Status attacks use the same formula as above except with both player's Spirit stat, i.e. Defender Spirit - Attacker Spirit. If successful the status is applied, if not nothing happens. Any magical attack uses up its MP value. Critical checks are done afterwards against a player's Luck, with two d20 rolls both under the player's luck stat to create a critical hit, automatically doubling the final damage done.

Or at least that's a basic idea. :cool: