PDA

View Full Version : What are the top PC style/Western style rpg's(like Oblivion) in 2006/2007?

Dragonsoul
07-22-2007, 01:18 AM
There are different type of rpg's. For now I know of 4 or 5 main types. There is traditional, action, tactical, and pc style/western style(like Oblivion, Two Worlds, Overlord, etc). Also, I believe there may be another genre for console rpg's, but I'll explain it later.

What are the top PC style/Western style rpg's in 2006 and 2007 besides The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion? Also, please list ALL of them if possible.

I don't know much about this genre, but I want to research it now. Let me list what I know of from this year and last year...

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Gothic III
Overlord
Two Worlds

Also, how would you classify Bioshock? I see it listed as first person shooter and/or action rpg and/or action adventure game. Also, I'm curious about the game "Folklore" coming out for PS 3 on Oct 2nd or so. Mass Effect by the way is what I call a 3rd person shooter rpg(like FF VII: Dirge of Cerberus)

Basically, please list all 2006/2007 rpg's like Oblivion! :)

Odaisé Gaelach
07-22-2007, 01:29 AM
Also, how would you classify Bioshock? I see it listed as first person shooter and/or action rpg and/or action adventure game.

Bioshock is a spiritual sequel to System Shock 2, which is one of the most famous FPS/RPG games.

If it turns out anything like System Shock 2, it would be an FPS and an RPG and an adventure game. :)

Shoeberto
07-22-2007, 01:33 AM
I was just about to say the king will probably be Bioshock. Even though I won't be able to play it probably for years on my rig.

Dragonsoul
07-24-2007, 04:42 AM
Interesting! I don't know much about this genre so I didn't know Bioshock was listed in it.

What is the official name for the genre of Oblivion? Is it "PC Style" or "Western style" or something else?

I am getting a Xbox 360($399 version) on August 3rd. I will get Blue Dragon on August 28th for it. Before Blue Dragon comes out I'll rent Bioshock(August 21st) and Two Worlds(August 14th). I wonder what I should do before renting Two Worlds.

Is there anything that you can recommend to me for an eleven day period? I might get some demos of stuff.

Karellen
07-24-2007, 04:48 AM
What is the official name for the genre of Oblivion? Is it "PC Style" or "Western style" or something else?
First person RPG. The 'Western' or 'PC' label is superfluous because those are the original types of video game RPGs anyway. 'Japanese' and 'console' is only added to game titles because more often then not they don't actually play like actual RPGs.

Dragonsoul
07-24-2007, 04:51 AM
Ok, so Oblivion is "First person rpg" not "PC Style rpg" or "Western Style rpg" apparently.

So I read that Bioshock is a "First person shooter rpg" with action/adventure game and action rpg elements.

Let me say that I don't know too much about Oblivion but how much different is Bioshock from Oblivion?

I'll rent Oblivion sometime in August or September.

Captain Maxx Power
07-24-2007, 11:28 AM
In terms of basic gameplay Bioshock and Oblivion have certain elements in common. Both are free-roaming, first-person role players with several quests to do and places to explore. You can choose to ignore the main story line and simply scope out the environment. There are however several differences. The most obvious is art design, in that whilst Oblivion is set in a traditional Tolkien-esque fantasy land of orcs, trolls, elves, magic etc. Bioshock is more of a steampunk affair with a storyline revolving around a technological city corrupted by power and biogenetics. It also offers a slightly more linear story path since you have to do certain tasks in a certain order to complete the game. The gameplay itself also differs in that Bioshock has you using guns as your main weapon, with different customisable options. There's also the idea of plasmids which work sort of like spells in Oblivion, enhancing your character's abilities significantly. Both are amazing and classic games in their own right for different reasons and both are (or rather will be) worth owning.

Dragonsoul
07-24-2007, 08:41 PM
So the main differences between Oblivion and Bioshock are the story and setting and the weapons and magic you use and that Bioshock is a little bit more linear. It appears that these two games are in the same subgenre of console rpg's, "First person rpg's", right?

I'll rent Oblivion and based on how it goes I'll have a better idea of how I will like Bioshock on August 21st when I go rent it.

Thanks! I can't wait until August 3rd when I get my Xbox. I decided to go for the $399 version not the $299 version. The $479 version(black, 120gb hd, hdmi support) isn't worth the extra money for me so I won't get that one.

Between August 3rd and August 14th I want to rent all Xbox 360 rpg's!

These are(Usa releases chronologically with dates):
03-21-06 The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
04-18-06 Final Fantasy XI(w/three exp. packs)
08-29-06 Enchanted Arms
10-24-06 Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
10-24-06 Phantasy Star Universe
11-21-06 *The Elder Scrolls IV: Knights of the Nine
03-27-07 *The Elder Scrolls IV: The Shivering Isles
06-26-07 Overlord
-Please note that I included both expansion packs for The Elder Scrolls IV, but they are not new games, just expansions, I won't rent them I'll just rent The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
-Also, I read that there is a special edition of Marvel: Ultimate Alliance with "Gold Edition" in the title, not sure of it's release date right now.

For fun, I'll type in the Xbox 360 fall rpg release schedule here(Usa)...
8-14 Two Worlds
8-21 Bioshock
8-28 Blue Dragon
9-3 The Elder Scrolls IV: Game of the Year Edition(w/both exp. packs)
9-17 Eternal Sonata
10-16 Final Fantasy XI: Wings of the Goddess
10-30? Lost Odyssey
11-20? Mass Effect
11-?? Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus

By the way, how many people here are interested in Phantasy Star Universe? I don't know much about it. Is it popular and/or good?

Main Page - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org)
Game Reviews from Metacritic (http://www.metacritic.com/games)
Game Rankings - Video Game Reviews, Release Dates, Cheat Codes (http://www.gamerankings.com)

Those three sites give info on a game, and the last two give averages of critical reviews, plus also give user reviews average.

Captain Maxx Power
07-24-2007, 10:07 PM
By the way, how many people here are interested in Phantasy Star Universe? I don't know much about it. Is it popular and/or good?

Popular probably not in the same sense as say WoW (then again what the hell is?). As for good I can't say personally because I haven't played the game, but the general consensus from game review sites/publications seems to be it sucks. Usually I'm all for deciding for myself, but when everyone keeps saying the same thing then I'm inclined to think that is actually the case.

Madame Adequate
07-24-2007, 10:56 PM
This thread is as good as any to ask in: Does anyone know if Two Worlds is any good?

I'm waiting for Mass Effect personally. Bioshock looks good too.

XxSephirothxX
07-24-2007, 11:04 PM
Bioshock is going to be the :skull::skull::skull::skull:. Maybe better than Mass Effect. I'm certainly much more excited about it. Two Worlds *looks* like it has potential, but it seems very similar to Oblivion. I honestly haven't read about it much.

And I don't see much comparison between a gun-based first person shooter RPG and a fantasy swords-and-sorcery quest based RPG like Oblivion, which can be played in either first or third person (though third sucks). Pretty different entities.

Dragonsoul
07-25-2007, 08:43 PM
This thread is as good as any to ask in: Does anyone know if Two Worlds is any good?

I'm waiting for Mass Effect personally. Bioshock looks good too.

It appears that it's going to be good, not sure yet though. I'll rent it when it comes out, and Bioshock. Mass Effect I might buy, if I dont' have time to buy it I'll just rent it for a few days.

Aug 3rd I get Xbox 360($399 version) and will rent Oblivion and possibly Overlord for it before I rent Two Worlds(Aug 14th) and Bioshock(Aug 21st). That will keep me busy before buying Blue Dragon(Aug 28th). The Elder Scrolls IV: Game of the Year edition comes out for PC/Xbox 360 on Sep 3rd but I don't need to rent it, PS 3 version is 7 days later. I will rent Eternal Sonata when it comes out on Sep 17th! I plan to rent all the Xbox 360 rpg's and buy what I like best. I got huge plans for this.

Two Worlds appears to be very similar to The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, I am interested in it. There will be a special edition released! Luminous Arc(DS tactical rpg) and Heroes of Mana(Real time strategy rpg on DS) and Shin Megamei Tensei: Persona 3(PS 2 rpg of unknown genre, yes it's delayed to this date) will also come out on Aug 14th. As for overall gaming on that day, that's the day that Madden NFL 2008 comes out, and will own the weekend.

August 14th is the start of the Fall 2007 rpg season! :)

EDIT:
The story of Two Worlds sounds like Warcraft 2 kind of!
Two Worlds
The world changed when Aziraal, the god of war, was slain in the huge battle long ago. The hordes of Orcs lost their divine leader and were forced to withdraw to the southern wastelands. Now, thousands of years later, the location of Aziraal's tomb is still unknown, well hidden by other gods who did not dare to entrust the secret to mere mortals. However, now, a fragile peace between the civilized races and the hordes is at stake. When the dwarven mining expedition discovered an ancient temple dedicated to an unnamed deity, a silent war begun, and it will soon ignite the fires that will lead to the holy crusade of the Orcs. However, the real danger lies somewhere else. A powerful force churns silently - weaving a secret plot of fear and destruction. In the end one of the Two Worlds will remain.

That's great because Warcraft 2 is my 2nd fav pc game after Starcraft, and just above Final Fantasy XI. I don't play PC games much, mainly only Real time strategy. Stronghold his good also.

Laddy
07-25-2007, 11:41 PM
Baldur's Gate II is really good (for PC) even though it's seven years old.

Dragonsoul
07-25-2007, 11:53 PM
I heard of this game but don't know about it. I'll research it.