PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone play the original NES version?

Sefie1999AD
07-22-2007, 02:41 PM
I was wondering, since I don't have a DS, I won't be able to play the DS version of FFIII. However, the NES version was still quite enjoyable from what I remember. The biggest additions I'm missing are the party members having individual personalities and the rearranged soundtrack, IMHO. So does everyone play the DS version or are there still some people that play the NES version of FFIII?

Tavrobel
07-22-2007, 05:53 PM
I still play the NES version, on emulator, of course. I do it about once a year, because it's pimp like that.

fredsanford
07-22-2007, 07:22 PM
I still play the NES version, on emulator, of course. I do it about once a year, because it's pimp like that.
Me too. I love final fantasy 3 and Im a traditional, original kind of guy.

tidus_rox
07-22-2007, 08:17 PM
lol... I play only the DS version, but I don't really like it... FF I owns

atlanteay
07-22-2007, 09:04 PM
i played the NES version orginally and then switched to the DS when it came out.

Takara
07-23-2007, 02:18 AM
I play both. I enjoy them equally.

Brennan
07-23-2007, 03:10 AM
I play the original on an emulater

Zeromus_X
07-23-2007, 04:27 AM
I play both. I enjoy them equally.

smily face
07-25-2007, 02:36 AM
I play the ds one but I want to play it on the original one too

Markus. D
07-25-2007, 08:45 AM
I've played right through both.

Enjoyed the DS one more though (IMO IMO ~~~)

Rengori
07-25-2007, 09:11 AM
Not anymore, but I still call them Onion Kids.

Crossblades
07-25-2007, 05:21 PM
I've beaten the NES version and the DS version. The NES version was good, but the DS is a whole lot better:D

ReloadPsi
07-25-2007, 09:27 PM
Yes. In fact, back in the day when us Europeans only had 7 and 8, 3 ended up being my fourth FF game (my third was 1). It was an incomplete fan-translation and it was some time before I would get to play the game in plain English.

Discovering that the legendary "Urfyurfi" from the incomplete translation meant "Cough! Cough!" and that "Seinsein" from the same ROM meant "Sob, sob!" was the most enthralling experience of my life.

At some point I will have to get a DS in order to play the remake.

silentenigma
07-28-2007, 01:26 AM
The nes version is the only one i've got, and i'm not about to buy a DS just to play it in 3D.

Great Sephiroth
07-29-2007, 10:53 PM
I still play FFIII's NES version...I play it in nesticle but I cannot save it...And becasue that, I think I never finish this game:cry:
At least, why didn't Square release FFIII remake for PS1...Every single nostalgic FFs released by Square but FFIII didn't...Why????

Peter_20
07-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Every single nostalgic FFs released by Square but FFIII didn't...Why????That IS strange.
I would love a remake of FF3 that was executed just like the ones for FF Origins.

I hear there's a version like that for the WonderSwan (this one: http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/3/32/220px-FF3_WonderSwanColor.jpg), but that one's probably only released in Japan. :rolleyes2

Why does Japan hate Europe? :(

Great Sephiroth
07-30-2007, 10:09 PM
Dammit...:( Really japan hates European...
This is VERY strange... I mean, they released FFChronicles (including FFIV and Chrono Trigger), and then suddenly they jumped off FFIII and they released FFOrigins (including FFI and FFII)...I wish I could play WonderSwan version of FFIII even it is Japanese...Bu my luck is out...

Sefie1999AD
07-30-2007, 10:58 PM
While I'd usually agree about Europeans being unlucky with Square Enix games, I have to remind you that the Americans were just as much out of luck when it came to FFIII. The DS version of FFIII was the first version both Americans and Europeans were able to play, unless they downloaded or imported the Japanese ROM for NES. The WSC version of FFIII was never finished. Supposedly it was being made, but SE had to cancel the project before it was completed.

Rengori
07-30-2007, 11:05 PM
S1999 is right, the Wonderswan version was never completed, so unless you wanted to play an unfinished game...

And just so you know, I'm pretty sure Japan's only option was the NES version. Since those are kinda hard to find now, they're playing ROMs too. So quit saying that Japan hates everyone in Europe.

Moon Rabbits
07-31-2007, 05:46 AM
Yes, I still do because FFIII is wonderful.

07-31-2007, 07:42 AM
I only play the NES version because I don't, and won't, have a DS. The only way I'll play the DS version is if DS gets an emulator sometime in the future. I'm too poor to spend money on video games and systems, and will be for the rest of my life.

Not that that's a complaint. the NES version rocks =)

Great Sephiroth
07-31-2007, 10:15 PM
While I'd usually agree about Europeans being unlucky with Square Enix games, I have to remind you that the Americans were just as much out of luck when it came to FFIII. The DS version of FFIII was the first version both Americans and Europeans were able to play, unless they downloaded or imported the Japanese ROM for NES. The WSC version of FFIII was never finished. Supposedly it was being made, but SE had to cancel the project before it was completed.

This is too bad...But this is how ridiculous, they release FFI and FFII and FFIV but they never release FFIII for PS1, what's wrong with them??? We are soo unlucky. Maybe there is a Japanese version of FFIII for PS1???

Sefie1999AD
08-01-2007, 10:47 AM
I only play the NES version because I don't, and won't, have a DS. The only way I'll play the DS version is if DS gets an emulator sometime in the future. I'm too poor to spend money on video games and systems, and will be for the rest of my life.

That's too bad. I won't be able to play the DS version, either. It's good that you can enjoy the NES version, though. :)

And just so you know, I'm pretty sure Japan's only option was the NES version. Since those are kinda hard to find now, they're playing ROMs too. So quit saying that Japan hates everyone in Europe.

This is too bad...But this is how ridiculous, they release FFI and FFII and FFIV but they never release FFIII for PS1, what's wrong with them??? We are soo unlucky. Maybe there is a Japanese version of FFIII for PS1???

Great Sephiroth: Read what Rengori said. I know it's a bit weird how FFIII never got a PSX version, but it's the same way for everyone. Not even the Japanese have any versions of FFIII other than the NES and DS versions. So no, there is no Japanese version of FFIII for PSX.

Great Sephiroth
08-01-2007, 04:07 PM

That's too bad. I won't be able to play the DS version, either. It's good that you can enjoy the NES version, though. :)

Great Sephiroth: Read what Rengori said. I know it's a bit weird how FFIII never got a PSX version, but it's the same way for everyone. Not even the Japanese have any versions of FFIII other than the NES and DS versions. So no, there is no Japanese version of FFIII for PSX.

Yeah you are right dude...Sometime, somewhere maybe I can buy a DS and so, I can finally play FFIII remake and my soul has finally got peace....

Fuzoya
08-01-2007, 04:32 PM
When I beated the game I played it on a NES emulator

Great Sephiroth
08-02-2007, 09:15 PM
When I beated the game I played it on a NES emulator

I cant because I cant save the game...I use Nesticle emulator and this isnt save FFIII...:( What is the problem...

Elpizo
08-02-2007, 09:18 PM
I've played and beaten both versions and love em both. I'm replaying the NES version now actually, naming my OnionKids Luneth, Arc, Refia and Ingus just for fun and planning to beat Cloud of Darness without N/N/S/S party.

But I like the DS version more. Why? Because it has Refia, no more needs to be said.

And me thinks the DS version needs more love.

Sefie1999AD
08-03-2007, 04:49 PM
I cant because I cant save the game...I use Nesticle emulator and this isnt save FFIII...:( What is the problem...

Why can't you save? You can either try the ordinary methods of saving the game on the world map, or you can try save states, but I suggest you never try them both together. Make sure the game file (let's say it's called FF3.nes) isn't read-only, and also make sure the save file (FF3.sav) isn't read-only. Another choice would be to use FCE Ultra instead. I beat my first game of FFIII with Nesticle and the second game with FCE Ultra, and I thought the graphics looked a lot better with FCE Ultra. In addition, there's some problems with Nesticle during the ending: after defeating the Dark Cloud, you'll see a view of space. Nesticle only shows you a couple of lines of text on the screen, while there should actually be a lot of text scrolling from bottom to top.

I've played and beaten both versions and love em both. I'm replaying the NES version now actually, naming my OnionKids Luneth, Arc, Refia and Ingus just for fun and planning to beat Cloud of Darness without N/N/S/S party.

But I like the DS version more. Why? Because it has Refia, no more needs to be said.

Refia. :love: I haven't even played the DS version, and I already have a White Mage Kitty (Devout) figurine of her. ^^ Since the three guys and a girl are four brothers in the NES version, which classes do you think Refia is allowed to use in NES? I mean, it might be a bit weird turning her into a Thief because she'll look like a bearded guy. :p

Elpizo
08-03-2007, 07:17 PM

Refia. :love: I haven't even played the DS version, and I already have a White Mage Kitty (Devout) figurine of her. ^^ Since the three guys and a girl are four brothers in the NES version, which classes do you think Refia is allowed to use in NES? I mean, it might be a bit weird turning her into a Thief because she'll look like a bearded guy. :p

I made Refia my White Mage and I'll later make her my Shaman. Those two classes don't look so boy-ish. Summoner and Onion Knight I find acceptable for NES Refia too. But absolutely not Viking. XD

But you should really find a way to play the DS version, though. Not only is it soooo cute to see how Refia protests against being turned into a toad (Tower of Owen), it's also very cool to see the Cloud of Darkness using something else than FlareWave.

Great Sephiroth
08-04-2007, 09:42 PM

Why can't you save? You can either try the ordinary methods of saving the game on the world map, or you can try save states, but I suggest you never try them both together. Make sure the game file (let's say it's called FF3.nes) isn't read-only, and also make sure the save file (FF3.sav) isn't read-only. Another choice would be to use FCE Ultra instead. I beat my first game of FFIII with Nesticle and the second game with FCE Ultra, and I thought the graphics looked a lot better with FCE Ultra. In addition, there's some problems with Nesticle during the ending: after defeating the Dark Cloud, you'll see a view of space. Nesticle only shows you a couple of lines of text on the screen, while there should actually be a lot of text scrolling from bottom to top.

Err...I have a FF3.nes file but when I save this game, FF3.sav file not exists...I don't know why? Maybe didn't I download FF3 ROM completely...but no its in a .zip file, and everything seems to be allright...This makes no sense...

Dark Warrior
08-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Nes version. In a emulator obviusly, and I'm playing it again (using virtuanes). I really liked.

I'm not going to buy a DS just for one game, so I will wait 2 or 3 years for a emulator to be done and try it.