PDA

View Full Version : MGS4 hands-on demo

Yamaneko
07-24-2007, 07:05 PM
Video of Metal Gear Solid 4 demo is predictably awesome - Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/24/metal-gear-solid-4-gameplay-demo-is-predictably-awesome/)

Gametrailers.com - MGS4: Guns of the Patriots - Gameplay Revealed (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22703.html)

Wet yourself.

My only gripe so far is the FPS perspective. It needs to be off-centered and the guns need to sway when moving.

EDIT: Added gametrailers feed. Gamevideos is getting hammered.

JKTrix
07-24-2007, 07:32 PM
I started to load this on my PC at work, but then I realized it was over 15 minutes long. Not wanting to get fired for leeching huge amounts of bandwidth, I'll have to wait till I get home to watch all of it.

However, the few seconds of the beginning I saw were beautiful.

I Took the Red Pill
07-24-2007, 07:48 PM
Fuck me in the eye, I need it.

DK
07-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Jesus H. Christ, I don't think I've ever wanted to play a game more in my entire life. WHY MUST THIS GAME BE FOR THE PS3 :(

I was virtually salivating for the entire 15 minutes.

LunarWeaver
07-24-2007, 07:59 PM
Holy meaning of life discovered, Batman! I would pay triple the Ps3's price just to get my hands on this. I love you, Kojima, I really do...please love me back...please look at me after.

Khaotic
07-24-2007, 08:06 PM
I will masturbate to those magazines.

Wait, what? I mean, this game looks amazing so far.

Fonzie
07-24-2007, 08:28 PM
Finally, you can take soldiers weapons for your own use.

Necronopticous
07-24-2007, 08:32 PM
I cried.

Slothy
07-24-2007, 08:34 PM
My god that demo looked amazing. If I get no other game this generation besides this I doubt I'd care. It was good to see all the new sneaking elements, as well as some of the AI (the frightened soldier cowering in battle).

Fonzie
07-24-2007, 10:33 PM
Hmmm, EVA is supposed to be in the game also.

Ramza Beoulve
07-24-2007, 10:59 PM
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/5986/droolskg1.gif

Miracles are true, well, I'll need to keep my saves for this until then, this game will be just more than amazing.

Old Manus
07-24-2007, 11:17 PM
I came.

The battle was awesome. I like how they kept the boxes and magazines and stuff too.

Shiny
07-25-2007, 12:02 AM
Very impressive. I'm impressed with all the new ways to hide. Changing the camouflage suit by coping the pattern to match the tile...wow. Phenomenal, as well as practically everything else.

Psychotic
07-25-2007, 12:06 AM
Outer Heaven is a place on Earth. :drool:

I am going to spend hours sniping at people, and I am going to spend hours watching battles.

Even the movement of Snake was awesome. The way he rolled to the side while on the ground, and the way he did a jump roll to the side as well was just :eek: But the crawling off the edge and swinging down took the biscuit, it was so fluid and my god I want it right now.

Croyles
07-25-2007, 01:25 AM
Heres a HD version.
Gametrailers.com - MGS4: Guns of the Patriots - Gameplay Revealed HD (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22702.html)
Still downloading it. Kojima Productions dont mess around with the length of their videos do they.

Mirage
07-25-2007, 01:54 AM
Al right, this is great. As Yamaneko already mentioned, the weapons need to sway a bit in first person mode.

cloud21zidane16
07-25-2007, 02:22 AM
wow.......speechless, that looks so good. Its good that they used the magazines and boxes again along with the barrels, and the camoflauging looks fun too

KentaRawr!
07-25-2007, 02:26 AM
I predict many "No Kill" runs involved in helping one of the two sides in every battle you get to. >_>

Big D
07-25-2007, 02:51 AM
Al right, this is great. As Yamaneko already mentioned, the weapons need to sway a bit in first person mode.Maybe Snake's just so badass that his hands are always rock-steady?:p

3% downloaded... this one's going to be worth the wait.

JKTrix
07-25-2007, 12:21 PM

'Hmmm' is right. She was in MGS3, which was 40 odd years ago from Present Day. If MGS 1/2/4 are set in the future, she's gonna be *old*.

Hullo, Grandma. (Note, this wasn't part of the gameplay video)
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/JKTrix/mgs4eva1.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/JKTrix/mgs4eva2.jpg

Dreddz
07-25-2007, 12:23 PM
The whole floor texture mimicking looks amazing, and did I see Snake squeeze that mans genitalia? Sweet.

And the great thing is I have a PS3.

Slothy
07-25-2007, 01:59 PM

'Hmmm' is right. She was in MGS3, which was 40 odd years ago from Present Day. If MGS 1/2/4 are set in the future, she's gonna be *old*.

MGS1 and the Tanker section of MGS2 aren't in the future anymore actually. MGS takes place in 2005, with MGS2 taking place in 2007 and 2009. MGS4 is taking place in 2014 which is a full fifty years after MGS3. So yeah, she'll be in her seventies. I want to see what happens storywise with her though. So far, with the exception of Revolver Ocelot who isn't likely to talk to Snake about dear old dad, she'll be the only one to show up who knew Big Boss from before his legend began. I wouldn't mind seeing what conversations ensue as a result.

Fonzie
07-25-2007, 08:21 PM
People say she might be the mother of Snake. It implies it.

Big D
07-26-2007, 02:29 AM
You mean that she was the surrogate mother for Solid, Liquid and Solidus?
According to the MGS3 timeline, she disappeared (I think it was in Hanoi during the Vietnam war), with no mention of her being found again, so it seems strange that the powers-that-be would track her down just to use her in an project that theoretically anyone could be used for...

Slothy
07-26-2007, 02:56 AM
You mean that she was the surrogate mother for Solid, Liquid and Solidus?
According to the MGS3 timeline, she disappeared (I think it was in Hanoi during the Vietnam war), with no mention of her being found again, so it seems strange that the powers-that-be would track her down just to use her in an project that theoretically anyone could be used for...

Apparently she does reappear in Portable Ops, but I don't see why she would be used as a surrogate for the cloning project, particularly considering she used to be a chinese spy.

Odaisé Gaelach
07-26-2007, 05:39 AM
Very classy stuff. Fantastic! But some of the AI and animations look terrible. When the two enemies on the roof are shooting Snake from behind, he lies down, kills them, and they seem to throw themselves off the roof like lemmings, instead of sliding over the bar as with ragdoll physics.

The second pair of enemies on the roof fire at Snake, but don't hit him at all. He's standing out there completely uncovered, aiming the RPG... and he doesn't get hit at all. Perhaps that's deliberate - Konami didn't want him to get hurt for the presentation...

Radje
07-26-2007, 01:24 PM
If you've played MGS games before you'll notice that the difficulty in this demo was considerably toned down. Some enemies simply ignored snake when he was standing in plain view of them or when he made a bit of noise. Like when he dropped from the ledge to electro-knife that soldier. The soldier would've heard that in Snake-eater.

Kojima wanted to show everyone the features without the annoyance of getting killed at one point or having to interrupt a demonstration to kill off a guard that inadvertently spotted him. I wouldn't consider this demo to be a finished version of the normal difficulty by any means.

Big D
07-26-2007, 04:02 PM
That might explain the lack of gun-shake, too - so the demo player wouldn't have to contend with the possibility of missing the target a lot.

Radje
07-26-2007, 05:26 PM
It makes sense.

This is going to be a fantastic game. Kojima never disappoints. Also, don' you think the english voice actor sounds so much more bad-ass than the Japanese one?

fredsanford
07-27-2007, 05:41 PM
To be honest I think the game looks bloody outrageous. I enjoyed the Ps version and the ones that came after that aimed for realistic , intelligent game play. However this game is outrageous, statue cammo...and all that . Its so fake and silly stupid. Tile cammo...you lie on the ground and they dont see you....PLEASE . This game is so outrageous that it is actually comical, a joke !

I mean the games were cool because it was a war hero that was clever, cunning , and had horrible odds. The games gave you ways to explore "last and daring" possibilities out of danger and harm. This cammo stuff though is outrageous and has gone too far. On and off in seconds cammo...Im a statue !!! LAME!!!! VERY LAME!!!! Most statues are nude to begin with and a man dressed as a marine with marble paint on his clothes and face isnt going to fool anyone with an IQ over ....something very low. :p

Maybe its a fun game I dont know but I think that it is a down grade to what video games are over all trying to achieve, more realistic game play.

Sephex
07-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Finally got around to watching it on a good connection last night. Amazing. Looks like I'll have to get a PS3 in a few months.

Slothy
07-27-2007, 06:01 PM
To be honest I think the game looks bloody outrageous. I enjoyed the Ps version and the ones that came after that aimed for realistic , intelligent game play. However this game is outrageous, statue cammo...and all that . Its so fake and silly stupid. Tile cammo...you lie on the ground and they dont see you....PLEASE . This game is so outrageous that it is actually comical, a joke !

I mean the games were cool because it was a war hero that was clever, cunning , and had horrible odds. The games gave you ways to explore "last and daring" possibilities out of danger and harm. This cammo stuff though is outrageous and has gone too far. On and off in seconds cammo...Im a statue !!! LAME!!!! VERY LAME!!!! Most statues are nude to begin with and a man dressed as a marine with marble paint on his clothes and face isnt going to fool anyone with an IQ over ....something very low. :p

Maybe its a fun game I dont know but I think that it is a down grade to what video games are over all trying to achieve, more realistic game play.

Realistic gameplay? Have you ever played an MGS game? And if you don't like the camo then you've never played MGS3 have you?

I love the camo in this game. Believe it or not, but if someone had a real suit with those capabilities, it's entirely possible that soldiers could walk right by them without noticing anything. Particularly in the damaged buildings of a war zone. You'd be amazed at how easy it is to miss something hiding in plain sight like that.

I wonder though if there will be a camo index as there was in MGS3, or if it's just assumed that since you take on the texture of everything you press against that you're camo is just maxed. Obviously moving will give you away and things. I agree with everyone who thinks the AI was toned down for the demo. I'll be interested to see how alert they are in the final game.

fredsanford
07-27-2007, 06:04 PM
Actually I have not played too many MGS games...cased closed. I lost, you win.

Croyles
07-27-2007, 06:06 PM

Oxymoron mate.

Mirage
07-27-2007, 06:09 PM
I don't think that Kojima aims for realism in his games. Personally, I don't like realistic games anyway. If I wanted absolute realism, I'd just go outside. Only one life and no continues, ohh yeah.

fredsanford
07-27-2007, 06:13 PM
I don't think that Kojima aims for realism in his games. Personally, I don't like realistic games anyway. If I wanted absolute realism, I'd just go outside. Only one life and no continues, ohh yeah.
I look for realism in modern games, graphics, etc etc. Of course unless the title is "fantasy" or "fiction" Games are some place between reality and fiction i understand that but I dont like the cammo. That is all Im saying.

Raebus
07-27-2007, 06:21 PM
Realism = Good for graphics but nothing else. To me, the more realistic a game gets that isn't in the graphics area, the less fun it becomes.

"Oh whats this? It copies the realism found in life? What? If I get shot once, I'm dead? and I have to get keys first to steal a car?".

fredsanford
07-27-2007, 07:43 PM
Realism = Good for graphics but nothing else. To me, the more realistic a game gets that isn't in the graphics area, the less fun it becomes.

"Oh whats this? It copies the realism found in life? What? If I get shot once, I'm dead? and I have to get keys first to steal a car?".
Well yes and no, some video games have set gravitiys and obey laws os science. The AI is great. The game play very diverse. Fully rendered environments. I just cant stand the idea of lieing on ground with paint on and not being detected. That is poor AI , the idea of cammo is charming and witty but the idea that it would work to that extreme just turns me off. I like suqar with my tea but I dont like it too taste TOO sweet.

Croyles
07-27-2007, 09:06 PM

Well yes and no, some video games have set gravitiys and obey laws os science. The AI is great. The game play very diverse. Fully rendered environments. I just cant stand the idea of lieing on ground with paint on and not being detected. That is poor AI , the idea of cammo is charming and witty but the idea that it would work to that extreme just turns me off. I like suqar with my tea but I dont like it too taste TOO sweet.

Its just a game. I dont hear anybody saying things like "Hey! You cant throw turtle shells in real life! WTF is this about?!" when they are playing Mario Kart.

Radje
07-27-2007, 09:30 PM
It's just a matter of personal opinion. Fredsanford, in MGS games they usually have a difficulty setting called [your continent] extreme. Which is basically the difficulty of the game set to reality. Often one shot kills, it's much easier to get detected etc. If you are into realism in your games try that. It will be difficult but it's certainly a challenge worth taking.

fredsanford
07-27-2007, 09:35 PM
It's just a matter of personal opinion. Fredsanford, in MGS games they usually have a difficulty setting called [your continent] extreme. Which is basically the difficulty of the game set to reality. Often one shot kills, it's much easier to get detected etc. If you are into realism in your games try that. It will be difficult but it's certainly a challenge worth taking.
Thank you for your temperance and understanding.

KentaRawr!
07-27-2007, 09:37 PM

Actually, I'm pretty sure they don't base the name off of the continent you're in, but simply refer to it as European Extreme. Unless, you were saying Fred's from Europe. >.>

Radje
07-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Nah I only assumed that it depended on where you were playing the game, as I can't see any reason for it being called European extreme otherwise. Interesting to find out I was mistaken on that one. Any thoughts as to why it is European extreme?

Necronopticous
07-27-2007, 10:08 PM
European's are pretty extreme.

KentaRawr!
07-28-2007, 04:09 AM
I think it's because the mode only appears in European versions until the "Sub" version comes out, sort of as a make-up for being so danged late.

Iceglow
07-28-2007, 08:22 AM
Actually sorry to burst the american bubble here. The reason for many extreme difficulty and the EE mode on MGS games (Resident Evil is another series with this commonly found feature) is in general because although Japanese gamers enjoy playing game scientiffic studies have proved European gamers to simply be better at gaming than them, they often recieved complaints from countries over in Europe (The UK in particular apparently) that gamers found the difficulty even on Hard mode TOO easy.

The off topic part done I'll be looking for a PS3 sometime soon I guess too.