PDA

View Full Version : Entering college

Rye
07-24-2007, 07:26 PM
Fall is approaching, so I want people who are going into university/college this fall to talk about where they're going and how they feel about it and stuff. I choo-choo-choose you. :bigsmile:

I'm a High School Senior at the mo', so I'm just interested. ;]

Laddy
07-24-2007, 07:28 PM
I'm going to be a junior at Vanderbilt.

daggertrepe
07-24-2007, 07:35 PM
I'm gonna be a freshman. :)

Jess
07-24-2007, 07:38 PM
I'm off to College to do Health and Social Care -- it's the second time I'll be going so I'm not particularly worried/nervous or anything. I'm quite looking foward to it! :jess:

Resha
07-24-2007, 07:47 PM
I think I'm in college now (6th Form = college? These things confuse me so much!) so -- well, I don't think it's going to be very much different. Studies will be harder, I guess.

I am kinda worried though.

Won't be going to uni till '08.

XxSephirothxX
07-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Well, US college=university which is after grade 12. I'll be a sophomore at the University of Georgia. Am very much looking forward to going back.

Fonzie
07-24-2007, 08:08 PM
The University of Texas Medical School in Houston. I plan to go here after college.

Nominus Experse
07-24-2007, 08:11 PM
I'll finally be entering a University this autumn. But the fact that I now have a 10k loan (and it's only going to grow in size over the years) is rather... worrying.

Hopefully a Masters of Fine Arts in Creative Writing is worth it.

Fonzie
07-24-2007, 08:16 PM
I'll finally be entering a University this autumn. But the fact that I now have a 10k loan (and it's only going to grow in size over the years) is rather... worrying.

Hopefully a Masters of Fine Arts in Creative Writing is worth it.

You better make a pretty damn good book, Trevor. :)

rubah
07-24-2007, 09:24 PM
I'll be a freshman at UA - University of Arkansas (http://www.uark.edu/)

I've got a fellowship on my back so I feel pretty good about it. Going to go for Mechanical Engineering

Peegee
07-24-2007, 09:36 PM
Lots of parties, wanton sex, and um, there's that educational portion of it, but smurf to that nonsense.

Seriously, college is the best 4 year (3 year, 2 year, 1 year) party. Don't forget to have fun or you'll end up like my brother!

Jojee
07-24-2007, 10:06 PM
I'm going into my senior year at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I'll be applying to numerous law schools this fall. ^^

I remember I was totaly psyched and excited to first go to college. Overrated, imo. ;|

Miriel
07-24-2007, 10:10 PM
I'm going into my last year at the University of Southern California. I'm soooo ready to be done with school.

My only regret with College will be that I never took advantage of any study abroad programs (and it's too late to do so now). Seriously, any of you guys starting college, really try and do study abroad. So many of my friends have done it, and I'm so jealous it hurts.

Other than that, there's nothing more I want out of College except my diploma.

Yamaneko
07-24-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm done in five weeks. :)

Yukki-Chan
07-24-2007, 10:20 PM
I'm going to an Art and Design Tech college in the Autumn to do a foundation in art, from then on I'm going to uni (still have no idea where).
No one I know is going and my friends are going to different places so the idea seems a bit lonely at first but I'm looking forward to meeting new people and getting better at my art.

Jojee
07-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Good for the people who are psyched about getting out of school. Really. It seems positively frightening to me and like a huge step. I'm relieved I still have a few years of grad school after this; I'm not ready to be an entirely self-sufficient adult yet. Any way you put it, school > full time work, I think. D:

oddler
07-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Any way you put it, school > full time work, I think. D:

Yes. And both at the same time is BS. :(

Shoeberto
07-24-2007, 10:47 PM
Going to UofA for computer science. Pretty nervous.

Miriel
07-24-2007, 11:04 PM
Good for the people who are psyched about getting out of school. Really. It seems positively frightening to me and like a huge step. I'm relieved I still have a few years of grad school after this; I'm not ready to be an entirely self-sufficient adult yet. Any way you put it, school > full time work, I think. D:

No no no!

Work > School

The only reason I'm ready to get out of school is because I know what I want to do, I've tried doing it in conjunction with school, but school is holding me back. :(

There's so much to do! So much to get done. Gotta get out of school and get workin'.

Psychotic
07-24-2007, 11:17 PM
I'll be in my last year of my Economics degree at University of Leicester, although I dunno if I'll stay on to do a Masters. Depends on if I feel ready for the big ol' world of work.

Cz
07-25-2007, 01:28 PM
As long as I get the necessary grades, I'll be starting a Politics course at Bristol University. I'm not all that enthusiastic about it, and I'm only really going along with it because I've got no idea what I'd do otherwise. I'm sure it'll be fun though, and if nothing else it'll be an interesting change of pace from living at home.

Bunny
07-25-2007, 01:36 PM
I skipped college and made a huge mistake. I'm not sure about anything right now.

Meat Puppet
07-25-2007, 01:41 PM
I skipped college and made a huge mistake. I’m not sure about anything right now.

Bunny
07-25-2007, 01:43 PM
I see what you did there.

Parker
07-25-2007, 01:54 PM
I'm going to a British University to study Geology. I don't know why I chose Geology, I am no good at it, but it should be fun to live more independently than I do right now.

Croyles
07-25-2007, 02:08 PM
Im going to do my BA at Southampton Solent University (in England). It will be cool!

Madame Adequate
07-25-2007, 05:02 PM
Lots of parties, wanton sex, and um, there's that educational portion of it, but smurf to that nonsense.

Seriously, college is the best 4 year (3 year, 2 year, 1 year) party. Don't forget to have fun or you'll end up like my brother!

Fun isn't fun.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
07-25-2007, 10:03 PM
I did more work last year than I did in my first 5 years of secondary. If you're not one of those naturally gifted people then you have to work like a dog (imo)

Doomie
07-25-2007, 10:42 PM
It'll be my second (And last) year at college, and if I have advice, it's TAKE ADVANTAGE of the liberties they give you. College is so much fun, yet so very short. Also, if you are going to a laid-back predominantly Italian college, just wear trackpants.

Jessweeee♪
07-25-2007, 10:46 PM
I'm going to be a Junior in high school this year...I am so not looking forward to college T~T

Tallulah
07-25-2007, 11:52 PM
I'm gonna be a freshman. :)

It is NOT okay to be a freshman! *paddles Dagger*

Me? Been there, done that, ancient history...

AOp
07-26-2007, 12:00 AM
Hot pockets are so key.

SY_Hepcat
07-26-2007, 12:06 AM
Planning to go to Cardiff Uni to do Chemistry. More nervious about my a-level results than actually going

Denmark
07-26-2007, 12:58 AM
I is will be a sophomore at Lehigh University in Bethlehem, PA. I've been wanting to go back since the day I left. (I is a computer engineering major. what fun!)

Kirobaito
07-26-2007, 01:08 AM
I will be a sophomore/junior (second year of college, but I have junior standing) at Baylor University in Waco, Texas. I'm not studying anything particularly important.

But I want to go back, because at least at school I have something to do.

Rostum
07-26-2007, 02:22 AM
Don't forget to have fun or you'll end up like my brother!

What? Successful?

I finished college in 2006, doing audio engineering. But now I'm going back to University to study either Fine Arts or Interactive Entertainment (meaning animation for games and film).

I've been doing absolutely nothing but a few random jobs here and there for the last 2 years, so sick of it. I just want to study and get on with my life.

edczxcvbnm
07-26-2007, 10:29 PM
Any way you put it, school > full time work, I think. D:

You couldn't be more wrong. Getting out into the working world was so much better and more productive. You learn so much more once you get out of those restrictive university doors.

CloudDragon
07-26-2007, 11:25 PM
Sophomore at the University of Kentucky. I'm ready to go back now. Summer's been fun back home, but as KB said at school I'll have something to do.

Venom65437
07-27-2007, 06:48 AM
I'm entering my final semester at Florida Gulf Coast University. I hate it. I could get into all the reasons, but it would take way too much time.

Anyway, if I had chosen more wisely, I'd probably have a great time. I hope you enjoy your college experience. Just don't act like an ass like so many freshmen do. :tongue:

Blackmage
07-27-2007, 07:04 AM
I was at Middle Tennessee State University for two years under the computer science program. If I was still in college, I'd be on my last year now.

I'm kinda glad I'm not in college, but at the same time, I really wish I was. It's very mixed feelings for me. So many people go to college mainly to be able to get a job with a bigger paycheck; I, for one, am not a fan of that ideology. You gotta go to college for what you love. I thought that programming was going to be awesome and glorious and everything I wanted to do. I was wrong. And, now, I have no idea what to do; I was so sure-fire gung-ho about computer science I hadn't thought of other possibilities. Between that and losing my scholarship to video games, I'm not in college and I probably won't be going back any time soon.

So, the moral of the story? Make absolutely sure you know what you're doing with yourself before going into college.

Rase
07-27-2007, 07:08 AM
I'm going to Evangel University this fall, which is in Springfield, Missouri. I'm planning on majoring in English Education, which should be fun. I'd say I'm pretty psyched about it, what with me having inside knowledge about the school and the best teachers and such. Also, it doesn't hurt that Facebook has been enormously helpful in finding other incoming freshmen and hooking up with them. :)

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-27-2007, 07:10 AM
Going into my junior year at McGill University (BA- major: World Religions; minor: East Asian Cultural Studies). I am so excited to start my courses!

I remember my first year, I was so excited and nervous. I thought there was going to be a big change from high school, there wasn't really. Just a whole bunch of drunken, somewhat obnoxious teenagers during Frosh Week (the fact that the drinking age here is 18 did not help). Overall, I'd say so far it has been a good time, better when you make a few friends. It was only last year I started to have close friends, since before then were just a few acquaintances. But yeah, you make so pretty good friends while learning interesting things (most of the time stuff is interesting). So basically my advice is make friends, though do not forget your old ones. As far as academics go, BSing works to your advantage during tests if you know half of what you are talking about. Also, try to pick a variety of courses your first year. A lot of places that have 4 year programmes allow you to take a variety of courses your first year, take advantage of it. You might think you are interested in something but find out it is not exactly your thing.

Heath
07-29-2007, 02:55 PM
I could've been going the the University of East Anglia (Norwich) to study either English Lit with Creative Writing or English Lit and History, but decided I wasn't happy with those options. As a result, I'm unemployed for a year! Going to go through UCAS again in September though now that I have my results. Hoping to get into somewhere like York or Warwick.

Avarice-ness
07-29-2007, 05:50 PM
I'm starting in September at The University of Wisconsin - Waukesha campus, then gonna transfer to UW's school in Milwaulkee~ (Lolz Jowy went there, it's a slow take over)

But the only thing I'm freaked out in, is that my placement tests put me in second year english because I apparently missed only one, if not any, so like that class is like throwing me in a pit of fire. My advisor lady said that since I did so well on my placement tests I shouldn't bring myself down a level on english, so hey if she thinks I can pass it, here's hoping~

Other than that I have fighting goals~ My majors prolly going to shift alot, but I'm going to be doing my best to get into a medical school, although I look at it this way, if I decide that medical school isn't what I want to do in a few years (BA's are highly recommended and such) then atleast I'll have a damn high GPA that could really open up alot of opportunities for when I continue my schooling past my BA in what ever my major is. I've got 4 years, hopefully my wandering mind can decide what it wants. :razz: