PDA

View Full Version : The Great Duel

Fynn
07-26-2007, 08:19 PM
Yes, it's a duel between the PSP and the DS! Which one do you like better and why?

I pick the DS. I own one and I just like it because of the touch screen. I don't want my console to play movies, and I have my MP3 player for music. The games that come out for the DS suit me better since I'm more of a Japanese game fan.

OK, what do you guys think?

demondude
07-26-2007, 08:21 PM
My favourite is the DS because the PSP has had very few good games and I doubt i'll buy one.

scrumpleberry
07-26-2007, 08:28 PM
I like the DS. For me it feels a lot nicer to use and I love the touch screen. I think the PSP is pretty good but sony should probably stick to un-handheld consoles.

God, can you imagine if Microsoft did a handheld? Terrifying...

Fynn
07-26-2007, 08:30 PM
God, can you imagine if Microsoft did a handheld? Terrifying...
Yeah... I mean, I already miss the times when Game Boys were the only handheld out there... Although there was this N-gage thing, or something? Well, it's in the past now.

scrumpleberry
07-26-2007, 08:36 PM
The N-Gage was nokia though, wasn't it?

Fynn
07-26-2007, 08:40 PM
The N-Gage was nokia though, wasn't it?

Yeah, I know, but... Well, at least here people were all like ZOMGWTFBBQLOOKATTEHGRAFIKZ!!1!!one!!!11!!!1111!!eleven!!!DIZIZSOGONNAOWNTEHGBA!!!one-hundred and eleven!!!!!!111!!

Dreddz
07-26-2007, 08:59 PM
The DS has the better library of games, no doubt. Although in my eyes neither handheld really excels in the games department, comparing it to previous Gameboys. However, the hardware the PSP uses is far far superior, allowing for more potential. This potential shows in all the homebrew and emulators available for the system. Which I think justifys its purchise. The system just needs more original titles, because while the system has a library with plenty of great games, alot of them are rehashes and ports. Not cool seeing as you could probably emulate them anyway.

Odaisé Gaelach
07-26-2007, 09:02 PM
Neither, actually. I've got a tonne of games on a USB key. I just plug it in and play. :)

Bolivar
07-27-2007, 01:40 AM
Definately the DS. Every gaming console/handheld has been basically reinventing the exact same thing since the Famicom.

Nintendo, interestingly, is now focused on bringing new methods of playing, redifining how you take your video games.

I've had touch-screen palm pilots/PDA's for years now, and have played alot of different games on them. But I can honestly say that each individual mini-game on "New Super Mario Bros." is better than anything I've seen attempted in that time.

i've been a sony fan, and a genesis one before that, but I can't deny that Nintendo just basically knows how to make fun games. Most companies today are lacking that.

Momiji
07-27-2007, 06:20 AM
The DS has Pokémon.

Enough said.

Fonzie
07-27-2007, 06:30 AM
DS.

Yew-Yevon
07-27-2007, 05:35 PM
I'll go with the PSP since it the one I own and the fact that its practicly a external drive one you plug it into you PC. I got lots of Hentai on my PSP :D

Slothy
07-27-2007, 05:51 PM
I'll go with the PSP. Though I don't own one, it really has the games that interest me. I think there are also a lot more good new titles for it than many realize (I think too many people simply ignore the majority of news and reviews relating to the system). I use my mom's DS mainly to play GBA games. Frankly the DS library doesn't overly impress me, and contrary to what many seem to believe, I don't see that the touch screen has matured into a usefulness beyond controlling minigames and such. Even games like Pheonix Wright which seem largely designed with the touch screen in mind I find easier and more comfortable to control traditionally the majority of the time. Nintendo seems intent on creating new control methods that are either unecessary, or that even they seem largely incapable of using in new and truly creative ways. The DS kind of just makes me long for the old days of the Gameboy. The is just too much of a casual game market for me.

JKTrix
07-27-2007, 06:35 PM
...I don't see that the touch screen has matured into a usefulness beyond controlling minigames and such...Nintendo seems intent on creating new control methods that are either unecessary, or that even they seem largely incapable of using in new and truly creative ways...[There] is just too much of a casual game market for me.

Just like the people who ignore PSP news, you probably just aren't looking at/trying the right things.

Phoenix Wright is a port of a GBA game (with the exception of the last case in PW1), which explains the obvious tacked-on feel of the touch (and voice) support.

There are some 'casual' DS games that are actually quite good. Two of the DS's best games are in Nintendo's 'Touch Generation' (games for non-gamers) line: Elite Beat Agents (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/98139-elite-beat-agents-again.html) (Read the comments of your fellow EOFFers!) and Planet Puzzle League (The Best Version Of The Best Puzzle Game Ever). They're both easy for new gamers to get into, and there's enough challenge for a hardcore gamer to be sated. And both make excellent use of the Touch Screen.

The upcoming Zelda: Phantom Hourglass also uses the touchscreen to great effect.

Not to say the PSP sucks. It is doing pretty well, it's just being eclipsed by the DS. Personally I think it is a fun system that finally has more than a handful of worthy games. I just get the fun quicker, more often and for longer periods of time on the DS.

Yew-Yevon
07-30-2007, 05:34 PM
I'm posting from my PSP :)