PDA

View Full Version : The Simpsons Movie

Dreddz
07-26-2007, 09:31 PM
Much better than I thought. The timing of the movie is still a problem, 12-14 years ago would of been preferable, as the movie still reflects the last few seasons rather than the superior ones in the mid 90's. But nonetheless, this isnt just 4 episodes stuck together. They put alot of effort into this movie to make it as funny as possible, and for the most part, this movie is much funnier than anything the last 5 or 6 seasons have produced. If your like me and dont even watch the new Simpsons episodes anymore, still watch this movie because at least you can be assured that its much much better than what there cranking out on the TV nowadays.

Rengori
07-26-2007, 10:46 PM
Wait, how did you see this? It doesn't come out until tomorrow.

Lynx
07-26-2007, 11:20 PM
im seeing it tommorow which will be opening day for me. im all excited :bounce:

Dreddz
07-26-2007, 11:37 PM
Wait, how did you see this? It doesn't come out until tomorrow.

It came out yesterday in the UK.

cloud21zidane16
07-27-2007, 12:54 AM
i saw it today, and thought it was really good too. A lot of it is much funnier because you are in the cinema with laughing people though, meaning its no where near as funny at home on DVD:( But i was still hugely impressed being a big Simpsons fan:)

jrgen
07-27-2007, 09:09 AM
I hope they didn't try to make it more accessible, throwing in jokes that appeal to all groups of people simply to reach out to a broader audience. (In the trailer, they just show a bunch of characters get hurt.) That is probably my main concern. However, I am a minority among Simpsons fans in the sense that I prefer the newer episodes to the ones from the early 90s. The ones from mid and late 90s were the best though.

Slothy
07-27-2007, 02:09 PM
Much better than I thought. The timing of the movie is still a problem, 12-14 years ago would of been preferable, as the movie still reflects the last few seasons rather than the superior ones in the mid 90's. But nonetheless, this isnt just 4 episodes stuck together. They put alot of effort into this movie to make it as funny as possible, and for the most part, this movie is much funnier than anything the last 5 or 6 seasons have produced. If your like me and dont even watch the new Simpsons episodes anymore, still watch this movie because at least you can be assured that its much much better than what there cranking out on the TV nowadays.

I'm the same type of Simpsons fan you are apparently, so you fill me with hope sir. I'll be seeing it tonight I believe. Hopefuly it doesn't dissapoint.

Clawsze
07-27-2007, 05:56 PM
I'm seeing it tonight, it looks so funny.
But the 90's episodes were the best, hands down.

Burtsplurt
07-27-2007, 09:23 PM
I liked it - it was a lot better than I expected. I laughed a lot, but there was never any feeling of impetus or peril. I think it was pretty much as good a film as they could have made out of it. It's always going to be more suited to 20 minutes but, to its credit, it didn't feel like it dragged.

Ralph is awesome.

Lynx
07-27-2007, 11:14 PM
oh man i saw it today and i must say it was sooo funny. it lived up to my expectations.

Rengori
07-27-2007, 11:17 PM
I just purchased tickets, I'm seeing it later tonight. :D

Shlup
07-28-2007, 12:24 AM
I went to see it with very low expectations, but I really liked it. You can tell they put a lot of effort into trying to please the fans, not just cranking out a movie for the sake of it.

It wasn't something I'd rant and rave about, but it gets my thumbs up.

Iceglow
07-28-2007, 12:59 AM
I'm going on a date to it...hopefully it will be good.

Araciel
07-28-2007, 01:40 AM
i don't know if we'll bother going. if we do it'll be with free movie passes.

Slothy
07-28-2007, 04:12 AM
Saw it tonight and it was good. Still, I just couldn't help but compare it to the good old days before the show started to suck and feel that it just didn't measure up in the end. Twas a good movie, but I agree with Dreddz that a movie should have been made when the show was in it's prime.

I Took the Red Pill
07-28-2007, 04:57 AM
It was better than the extremely unfunny past few seasons, but as alot of people are saying, it doesn't beat The Simpsons' Golden Age, that being within the first 10 seasons.

Ouch!
07-28-2007, 05:17 AM
Pretty freaking funny. I was expecting crap until people started saying it was good. I was still skeptical, but I wasn't disappointed.

Rengori
07-28-2007, 05:39 AM
I just got back, that was definately better than anything I've seen since Hot Fuzz.

jrgen
07-28-2007, 07:11 PM
It was better than the extremely unfunny past few seasons, but as alot of people are saying, it doesn't beat The Simpsons' Golden Age, that being within the first 10 seasons.
The first few seasons were not even close to how good it got a bit later in the series, and still worse than the last few seasons. People just claim the old episodes are much better to seem oldschool or some:skull::skull::skull::skull:. Just like with Southpark, the older episodes are much more childish. It took a few seasons for the writers to get what they should be doing.

Saw the movie today and it was quite good. The first half was really intense in terms of joke frequency. Then towards the end, it got a bit more slow paced to cram in the story elements mandatory to a full-length movie, but it was still more intense than other movies in the genre of comedy.

I Took the Red Pill
07-28-2007, 07:21 PM
The first few seasons were not even close to how good it got a bit later in the series, and still worse than the last few seasons. People just claim the old episodes are much better to seem oldschool or some:skull::skull::skull::skull:. Just like with Southpark, the older episodes are much more childish. It took a few seasons for the writers to get what they should be doing.I agree that the first season wasn't stellar, but the second season was great, as was the third and so on. The second season had the classic Sir-Putts-A-Lot episode, along with the rare Radioactive Man comic episodes, both on my list of favorites. The third season had Flanders' opening of the Leftorium and Flaming Moe's. Most of the episodes inbetween were worthwhile too. Sure they had their hiccups, but so did later episodes (Homer discovering the Third Dimension in Season Seven? Come on now.) So I stick by the earlier seasons, barring the first I guess.

I Don't Need A Name
07-28-2007, 08:21 PM
spiderpig was meant to be the funniest thing in it. someone described it to me and it just seemed pathetic....but i think the simpsons suck anyway so i just posted in this thread to jip them :bigbiggri

Rengori
07-28-2007, 11:16 PM
spiderpig was meant to be the funniest thing in it. someone described it to me and it just seemed pathetic...

That was no where near the funniest thing in the movie, not by a long shot.

Hazzard
07-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Spiderpig being Harry Potter looked funny in the adverts.

Kirobaito
07-29-2007, 06:40 AM
I liked it. I thought the beginning was better than the end, but pretty funny overall. They didn't show the teaser for The Dark Knight like they were supposed to, though!

The Unknown Guru
07-29-2007, 06:51 AM
Spiderpig, Spiderpig, does whatever a spider pig does,
Can he spin a spider web?
No he can't, he's a pig.

And no, that wasn't the funniest part.

Cz
07-29-2007, 01:10 PM
I went in with pretty low expectations, so wasn't disappointed with what I saw. It's obvious that a lot of effort was put into the script, rather than just putting out a lazy feature length version of the TV show. It had a few laugh out loud moments, and even the stuff that looked unfunny in the trailer came across quite well. Considering the state of the show at the moment, this could have been much, much worse.

Lynx
07-29-2007, 01:20 PM
i cant beleieve they didnt actually reveal the state the simpsons were in. i mean come on 400 episodes and a movie and still what sate is it???

pshh i know which one actually ;)

i have a good feeling ill end up seeing it again i loved it.

Rengori
07-29-2007, 01:29 PM
i cant beleieve they didnt actually reveal the state the simpsons were in. i mean come on 400 episodes and a movie and still what sate is it???

It's Kentucky.

Madame Adequate
07-29-2007, 05:20 PM
The first few seasons were not even close to how good it got a bit later in the series, and still worse than the last few seasons. People just claim the old episodes are much better to seem oldschool or some:skull::skull::skull::skull:. Just like with Southpark, the older episodes are much more childish. It took a few seasons for the writers to get what they should be doing.

That's a pile of crap. The first season isn't anything special, and you're right about them needing to find their feet. By the second season, they'd got the basics figured out and put out some good episodes, although still little truly special. But once they got to season 3, there was some magic there. Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk, Flaming Moe's, Homer's Triple Bypass, Marge in Chains, Bart Gets an Elephant, Homer at the Bat, And Maggie Makes Three... etc.

It's hard to point at any particular time when The Simpsons lost it. I don't agree with the "made in the '90s" thing - after all, episodes like A Hunka Hunka Burns In Love and HOMR come after 2000, but you could just see it as seasons went past; the big names became bigger deals, the storylines went from crazy to bizarre, and the snappy wit just dissipated.

Lynx
07-30-2007, 12:02 AM

It's Kentucky.

but kentucky isnt a 5 minute drive to the ocean?

Rengori
07-30-2007, 12:04 AM

It's Kentucky.

But they've said twice that Springfield was in Kentucky!

cloud21zidane16
07-30-2007, 01:43 AM

It's Kentucky.

When!? theyve never said that i dont think:D i even remember Matt Groening in an interview saying theyll never reveal which state its in.

Rengori
07-30-2007, 01:47 AM

It's Kentucky.

When!? theyve never said that i dont think:D i even remember Matt Groening in an interview saying theyll never reveal which state its in.

In the episode where they were doing a behind the music type thing, they said that they were a northern Kentucky family. In another episode, the one where sugar was banned from Springfield, Mr. Burns told Homer they were smuggling sugar from south of the border, and Homer said "You mean Tennessee?"

Yeah, I'm a nerd like that.

Zeldy
07-30-2007, 06:19 PM
I thought it was bloody hilarious :}

I Took the Red Pill
07-30-2007, 07:52 PM
In the episode where they were doing a behind the music type thing, they said that they were a northern Kentucky family.
Yeah, I'm a nerd like that.In later airings of this episode, the location was changed to Southern Missouri. But that's besides that fact, because the producers have gone on the record to say that that episode is not canon, just like any Halloween episode.

Formalhaut
07-30-2007, 08:01 PM
I just watched it today and loved it.

Funny moment: The bit where Marge and bart saw a poster of the simpsons WANTED so marge distracted the clark so he won't notice and Bart changes the picture to look different. Then another family comes in, they look exactly like the WANTED poster.

i laughes so hard people looked at me and thought i was a Weirdo. :sweatdrop

Sick Boy
07-30-2007, 09:02 PM
I was pleasantly surprised with this movie. I expected it to take on the form of more recent seasons, and not be very good or funny. But it was more like older season. It had some very good laughs, and overall was a good movie. I don't regret seeing it at all.

The best part was when Bart was saying he preferred Flanders as a father and kept saying Diddly in Homer's face.

Tidusblitzx
07-30-2007, 09:13 PM
Thanks alot for that unmarked spoiler. Now I shouldn't even go see the movie. ;_;

Rengori
07-30-2007, 11:18 PM
In the episode where they were doing a behind the music type thing, they said that they were a northern Kentucky family.
Yeah, I'm a nerd like that.In later airings of this episode, the location was changed to Southern Missouri. But that's besides that fact, because the producers have gone on the record to say that that episode is not canon, just like any Halloween episode.

You ignored what I said afterwords, Tennessee is directly south of Kentucky.

Zeldy
07-30-2007, 11:23 PM
I was pleasantly surprised with this movie. I expected it to take on the form of more recent seasons, and not be very good or funny. But it was more like older season. It had some very good laughs, and overall was a good movie. I don't regret seeing it at all.

The best part was when Bart was saying he preferred Flanders as a father and kept saying Diddly in Homer's face.
haha, I was one of the only people in the cinema to laugh at that! I thought it was hilarious.

Araciel
07-30-2007, 11:32 PM

in a 'behind the music' episode? well that can't be taken seriously. also anything homer says in any given episode shouldn't be taken at face value ...its fucking HOMER...
also, it's the simpsons...they'll never put them in a specific state.

ps i was surprised by the movie, in that it didn't totally suck

Rengori
07-30-2007, 11:35 PM

in a 'behind the music' episode? well that can't be taken seriously. also anything homer says in any given episode shouldn't be taken at face value ...its smurfing HOMER...
also, it's the simpsons...they'll never put them in a specific state.
Once again my other statement was ignored.

In another episode, the one where sugar was banned from Springfield, Mr. Burns told Homer they were smuggling sugar from south of the border, and Homer said "You mean Tennessee?"

I Took the Red Pill
07-30-2007, 11:37 PM
Your statements are quite forgettable tbh

Rengori
07-30-2007, 11:38 PM
Your statements are quite forgettable tbh

True, true.

Araciel
07-31-2007, 02:08 AM
no, you just didn't know what i meant

ALSO anything homer says is suspect...imeant that homer doesn't know geography very well, so almost any state in that line could have been correct to him.

Lynx
07-31-2007, 02:29 AM
oh wow i didnt realize peopel would acre much about the state i thought that was just me :p

anyways the claim that they live in kentucky was from the behind the laughter episode. it said they were a kentucky family but it also claimed they were just actors. it was all part of the joke.

in an episode you can homers dirver license clearly for the state it says NT. and theres soime other time where you can see these letters for the state but i forget at the moment. and according to the site that i found this info on, groening claimed that the state was a made up state called north tacoma. and it was amde up because it featured, high mountains, a short drive to the ocean, harsh winters and harsh summers as well. also within a days drive of PA and las vegas. obviously a state that breaks the rules of the country :D

idk maybe the confirmation by groening is a lie but you cant ignore the NT on the license. if i find a picture ill link it. or you can google it and see what comes up i guess?

Leen-Leen
07-31-2007, 03:00 AM
It was funny, but not thatt funny. I wasn't laughing through the whole thing, though I thought it got funnier around the middle of the movie. I might have been expecting too much, though.

Sevink
07-31-2007, 08:11 AM
It was entertaining, but I didn't laugh very much. It wasn't as funny as I expected it to be, but I'm not disappointed.

My favorite part was when Homer was searching through his wallet and had a photo of his head cut and taped on Michael Jordan's body. That's not really a spoiler, but just in case..

Lynx
07-31-2007, 08:27 PM
wiki is a great place to learn things.

David Silverman, a director for the Simpsons, has claimed that Springfield is in the fictional state of "North Tacoma" (or "North Takoma"). This is substantiated by the state abbreviations NT and TA used within the show. However, this has never been officially confirmed in any canonical episode of The Simpsons or by other Simpsons producers. And on Homer's Driver License the state is NT and the zip code is 49007, which is a Kalamazoo, Michigan zip code

tetsuyabh
08-01-2007, 03:33 AM
I liked the movie too.

If you're expecting 2hrs of fanservice, then you'd be right, but fortunately (and wisely, on Groening's part), it's not integral to the plot.

Heath
08-03-2007, 12:15 PM
I thought there was a joke at some point when they're on the run and they look at four states that have no geographical closeness at all, which was supposed to poke fun at the whole 'which state is it?' debate. I know that people didn't laugh at that one when I was there, probably because they didn't know the geography. I mean, weren't Nevada and Maine included in that joke?

Shlup probably best sums up how I felt about the film in that I didn't have any real expectations either but I enjoyed it. It was good, but definitely not great. Having said that, I think I'd rather have simply watched 3 episodes from seasons 5-9 back-to-back.

starseeker
08-03-2007, 12:18 PM
I thought the Simpsons Movie was better than the fifth Harry Potter film.

Rostum
08-03-2007, 12:50 PM
I liked the movie, and there were bits that were funny. I like how they greatly improved the digital animation.

To me, it just really didn't feel epic enough. There wasn't enough celebrities, wasn't enough story and it didn't really show any sort of development of character except for Homer (who is my favourite character). The bits that I found really funny, were already shown in the many commercials.

I dunno, I felt they could have done better, but I still really liked it. I would have been just as satisfied by watching 3 new episodes back-to-back.

Rye
08-03-2007, 02:33 PM
I went to see it with very low expectations, but I really liked it. You can tell they put a lot of effort into trying to please the fans, not just cranking out a movie for the sake of it.

It wasn't something I'd rant and rave about, but it gets my thumbs up.

My thoughts exactly. It was funny. It wasn't a work of art, it wasn't amazing, but they did put effort into it, yes.

Peegee
08-09-2007, 06:21 PM
I'm not sure the point of showing Bart's pen0r but I was too busy laughing to think. I will preface that I personally LOATHE simpsons ever since season 13 (I'm a fan of seasons 1-9 and think the show started to dip since) and I haven't watched simpsons in literally 4 years, if not more.

Regardless, I watched it with no expectations, and was happily entertained. This is sufficient for a good movie and a thumbs up from PG.

Spiderpig xD

PS: there's rumours of spiderpig making it to season 19. Whatever happened to the piggie anyway?

The Mog Ninja
08-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Spider Pig Spider Pig
Does whatever a Spider Pig does
Can he swing from a web? No he can't he's a pig.
Look out. He is the Spider Pig!

Hazzard
08-16-2007, 11:32 PM
Just watched it, and the ending was kind of cliche and expected, but I found it quite touching; father and son finally doing something together. Nice ending.

Miriel
08-16-2007, 11:40 PM
I thought it was great.

The scene where Homer is walking through the snow talking to himself was hilarious. I was seriously laughing so hard.

Also, trapuccino. Hahahahaha.

Proxy
08-17-2007, 12:43 AM
it was just a long simpson's episode. I laughed a bit, but i didn't expect anything spectacular. entertaingin, but not worth buying.