PDA

View Full Version : Children of The Cornbread...

LaqueeshaJenkins
07-29-2007, 08:42 AM
Hah! I just used that name to attract attention, but since you're already here... I was wondering if the original Final Fantasy (NES version) had a saving system. If not, then how could ANYONE in their right mind try to beat that game. By the time you had, your NES would be damn-near fried! Or is that even possible? COULD you break your NES playing FF? Thank you all for your wonderfulness!!!

--Guurl! Cornbread!

Meat Puppet
07-29-2007, 08:56 AM
You could save in Inns ...or something. Just a random stab, though. I think that the original Dragon Quest had a password system, rather than save files though.

Zeromus_X
07-29-2007, 08:58 AM
In the original, you could save by either going to an Inn and resting there or using a Tent or Cottage.

In the original Dragon Quest, there was indeed a saving system. You would have to talk to the king to record your adventure in the "imperial scrolls of honor". This could be rather tedious if you're far away from the first castle, but I'd prefer it to a password system.

Captain Maxx Power
07-29-2007, 11:39 AM
In the original Dragon Quest, there was indeed a saving system. You would have to talk to the king to record your adventure in the "imperial scrolls of honor". This could be utterly mind-boggling awful and stupid and ridiculous if you're far away from the first castle, but I'd prefer it to being stabbed in the eye with a red-hot poker.

Fixed'ed.

Also in the NES FF1 you could only have one save file going at a time. Starting a new game and then saving would overwrite the file.

Rengori
07-29-2007, 12:58 PM
Also in the NES FF1 you could only have one save file going at a time. Starting a new game and then saving would overwrite the file.Which totally sucked, because when I was a cheap ass who only played ROMs, the schizophenic side of me that wanted to see what X party combination would want would overwrite my game right around Elfland.

Meat Puppet
07-31-2007, 08:50 AM
I think that was Dragon Warrior that had save files.

theundeadhero
07-31-2007, 10:12 AM
It's possible to beat the whole game without turning off your NES if you have about 1 1/2-2 days to play, depending on how much you sleep and how well you know the game.

Xurts
08-03-2007, 02:57 AM
Also in the NES FF1 you could only have one save file going at a time. Starting a new game and then saving would overwrite the file.Which totally sucked, because when I was a cheap ass who only played ROMs, the schizophenic side of me that wanted to see what X party combination would want would overwrite my game right around Elfland.
If you're using a ROM then you can just use different save state slots.

Rengori
08-03-2007, 03:11 AM
If you're using a ROM then you can just use different save state slots.

I never remembered that though.

ReloadPsi
08-03-2007, 03:41 AM
It's possible to beat the whole game without turning off your NES if you have about 1 1/2-2 days to play, depending on how much you sleep and how well you know the game.

I doubt you'd even need that much. With the right party you can complete it very quickly *cough* two Fighters two Red Mages with equipment found in chests and just the bare minimum spells *cough*