PDA

View Full Version : rudolf the turk

boys from the dwarf
07-29-2007, 08:27 PM
so here i am sitting watching the first episode of 24 and i see some guy called rudolf in the credits and i think for a while "Wow how'd i manage with an odd name like that? if i was call rudolf i guess i'd shorten it to rude or something." shortly afterwards i thought of FF7s Rude. could Rude have a full name of Rudolf?

Rude is an unusual name but then again. so is just about every other FF name. nice thought though.

ReloadPsi
07-29-2007, 09:49 PM
I thought he was called Rude because he's impolite. Reno means "squanderer" or "pimp", Elena means something about light (she has blonde hair).

Wish you could rename those dudes though :P

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
07-30-2007, 07:13 PM
that's a good point actually, maybe there's a few names that are actually nicknames. off the top of my head, Tifa could be short for tifanny

BG-57
07-30-2007, 07:32 PM
Germans named Rudolf generally go by the nickname Udo, although it could be also abbreviated as Rudy, which close enough phonetically to Rude.

The Ceej
07-30-2007, 07:33 PM
I thought he was called Rude because he's impolite. Reno means "squanderer" or "pimp", Elena means something about light (she has blonde hair).

And Rufus means redhead.

f f freak
07-30-2007, 09:41 PM
that's a good point actually, maybe there's a few names that are actually nicknames. off the top of my head, Tifa could be short for tifanny

I always thought Tifa was short for Tiffany. Though I guess it would be spelt Tifanny.

Rudolf would be a pretty cool name actually.

Reno means "squanderer" or "pimp"

Really? Cool.

MJN SEIFER
08-04-2007, 03:22 PM
I remember reading somewhere that Tifa was short for "Tifareth" or something like that.

Dunno if it's true.

Namelessfengir
08-04-2007, 04:17 PM
I remember reading somewhere that Tifa was short for "Tifareth" or something like that.

Dunno if it's true.

i thought tifareth was the code for tifa/arieth fanfics and hentai

ReloadPsi
08-04-2007, 06:26 PM

Dunno if it's true.

i thought tifareth was the code for tifa/arieth fanfics and hentai

No, it refers to the Ten Sefirot of the Kaballah (from which Sephiroth's name is also derived) on which "Tiferet" is usually (but not always) number seven, hence her Seventh Heaven, plus because she's important to the game and FF7 does tend to toss the number 7 around a lot (7 Limit Breaks per character, the Lucky Number 7 trick, Tifa's Seventh Heaven, "Lucky Seven" on the Battle Arena slots, etc.)

There's speculation that Tifa's also meant to sound phonetically identical to "Tiefer" (give or take some loss in translation and dialect due to non-native speaking), meaning "Deeper" in German. And, well... the song "Rein Raus" by Rammstein makes that pretty amusing :D This is probably coincidence though, just like Legend Of Zelda's Link character being left handed with "Link" being German for "left" which is supposedly unintentional.