PDA

View Full Version : Ehrgeiz

Spawn of Sephiroth
07-30-2007, 05:11 PM
So, I saw this game at Game Stop a few months back when it used to be Rhino's, but it looked good. I am bidding for it on ebay just trying to get my hands on it because I didn't have the money when I first found it. So, what is this game like and what do you guys rate it.

Slothy
07-30-2007, 05:19 PM
It's a terrible fighting game. I hated it even back when true 3D fighters were a fairly new thing and people were more forgiving. Unless you're a collector who must have everything featuring FF characters I don't think it's worth it, but play it for yourself to see how you like it. Just don't pay too much for it.

Spawn of Sephiroth
07-30-2007, 05:30 PM
well, game stop was wanting 40 bucks for it, right now my bid is 5.99 with a little over a day left. So, im not gonna go no higher than 15, quite possibly 20, depending.

Shoeberto
07-30-2007, 06:16 PM
I remember thinking it was fun. There's a lot of minigames built into it.

I was also like in the fourth grade when I rented it, so y'know.

Necronopticous
07-30-2007, 06:39 PM
It's so hilariously bad that it's worth picking up, even for the $39.99 Gamestop was charging.

The reason Gamestop charges $39.99 for it is because it has Final Fantasy VII characters in it, it's out of print, and it has a Squaresoft logo on the cover art.

Most Gamestops/EB games don't carry any original Playstation games anymore so you should feel lucky that you saw it there.

Dreddz
07-30-2007, 06:50 PM
I actually like the game, but the best part was the Quest mode unfortunately, not the actually fighting part of it.

Markus. D
07-30-2007, 07:55 PM
What Dreddz said :]

I Took the Red Pill
07-30-2007, 08:02 PM
One of the worst planned out fighting games I've ever played.

ReloadPsi
07-30-2007, 08:06 PM
A truly subpar fighting game that frankly makes us hope Square-Enix are gonna do better ones in the future.

What's notable though is that Tifa's moveset from that game also appears in Advent Children, though because so few of those who saw AC had played Ehrgeiz they mistook these moves for her Limit Breaks. It's worth playing at least for that.

Bolivar
07-30-2007, 09:38 PM
lol a few weeks ago i was in my friends apartment, in the bathroom when i heard a conversation in the kitchen

"Yeah, we used to be into those squaresoft games back in the day, too"

"Didn't they make a fighting game?"

*me coming out of the bathroom
"YO! Ehrgeiz was THE SH*T MANNNN!!!"

seriously, it was ok. it gets alot of hate because it's an easy target for FFVII-haters in that it falls way below the perfection line. But as a fighter it was pretty decent. Like Dreddz said, the RPG mode was actually pretty cool, i might have to pick that back up sometime.

Spawn of Sephiroth
07-31-2007, 02:05 AM
It's so hilariously bad that it's worth picking up, even for the $39.99 Gamestop was charging.

The reason Gamestop charges $39.99 for it is because it has Final Fantasy VII characters in it, it's out of print, and it has a Squaresoft logo on the cover art.

Most Gamestops/EB games don't carry any original Playstation games anymore so you should feel lucky that you saw it there.

No, it was Rhinos Video games at the time when I saw it. Gamestop bought them out since then. I figured thats why it was so high.

Slothy
07-31-2007, 03:23 AM
A truly subpar fighting game that frankly makes us hope Square-Enix are gonna do better ones in the future.

I think it's worth noting that Square didn't make the game, or even publish it originally. It was developed by Dream Factory and published by Namco for the arcade. Square only published the PSX port so it ended up with FFVII characters. Can't say that's a bad thing either since the game didn't stand a chance of selling without them (and still didn't sell well with them).