PDA

View Full Version : Pokémon Green = Pokémon Red?

Peter_20
07-31-2007, 12:11 AM
I've discovered that Diamond and Pearl are almost exactly similar, and since they tend to be mentioned together I was wondering if Green and Red are also the "same" game, since they also tend to be mentioned together.
In other words, is Pokémon Green pretty much the same game as Pokémon Red?

Sakura
07-31-2007, 12:18 AM
Leaf Green and Fire Red are vastly similar :p
In fact they're the same as the red/blue versions that came out in those cartridges, same items trainers, gym leaders almost in the exact same positions as they were in red/blue ;x
How long has that dancing elephant been a smiley

Peter_20
07-31-2007, 12:22 AM
In fact they're the same as the red/blue versions that came out in those cartridges, same items trainers, gym leaders almost in the exact same positions as they were in red/blue ;x
How long has that dancing elephant been a smileyOh, so if I play Red and Blue, then I've technically experienced the very first installment, Green, as well?

:pinkelephant:

Ouch!
07-31-2007, 12:24 AM
There's always multiple versions of each generation, the only significant differences usually being what pokemon are available to catch. That's why trading has always been such a big part of pokemon since the very beginning. It was impossible to get pokedex completion in the first game without trading with someone who had a different version.

Red = Blue (Fire Red = Leaf Green)
Gold = Silver = Crystal
Ruby = Sapphire = Emerald
Diamond = Pearl

Crystal and Emerald were added to the second and third generations after the initial games, so they had some other bonus stuff the originals didn't.

Edit: There was no Green version in the States until Leaf Green.

Peter_20
07-31-2007, 12:27 AM
Thanks, guys.
Time to tackle them first installments! :D

qwertysaur
07-31-2007, 12:29 AM
In every generation of Pokemon there are two games released at first. The games are almost the same, but different pokemon are availabe. For instance, you can catch wild glameow in Pearl, but in diamond you can catch Stunky instead. The only generation where the plot changed was the third generation. In Ruby you faced team Magma, while in Sapphire you faced team Aqua.

The generations and games in each generation are

First(Kanto)
Red/Blue(Green in Japan)/Yellow

Second(Jhoto)
Gold/Silver/Crystal

Third
Hoenn
Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald

Kanto(remakes of first gemeration)
Fire Red(remake of Red)/Leaf Green(Remake of Blue)

Fourth(Sinnoh)
Diamond/Pearl

Peter_20
07-31-2007, 12:32 AM
qwertyxsora, would you please explain the first generation?
Do you mean that Green from Japan actually was released elsewhere, and they basically changed the name to Blue?
In that case, Green is the exactly same game as Blue? :confused:

...then this would mean that Japan has no Blue version, right?

Ouch!
07-31-2007, 12:33 AM
First(Kanto)
Red/Blue(Green in Japan)/Yellowl
I had completely forgotten about Yellow.

Comet
07-31-2007, 12:41 AM
Diamond + Pearl = Pokemon Gem

Heath
07-31-2007, 12:45 AM
Do you mean that Green from Japan actually was released elsewhere, and they basically changed the name to Blue?

Green and Blue are the same game, yes. It was Green in Japan, but Blue elsewhere.

Hazzard
07-31-2007, 01:17 AM
Pokemon Gem, ehh?

Markus. D
07-31-2007, 06:07 AM

It has Johto... or is it Kanto?

I'm not sure which one is which T_T... but anyways, I think (Think...) you can go there after getting somewhere (Never quite played it...)

Spammerman
07-31-2007, 06:24 AM
Isnt it always 2 versions are made, then they make a master version, example red and blue, then yellow, gold silver, then crystal.

Heath
07-31-2007, 01:17 PM

It has Johto... or is it Kanto?

I'm not sure which one is which T_T... but anyways, I think (Think...) you can go there after getting somewhere (Never quite played it...)

Kanto = Pallet Town, Viridian City, etc
Johto = New Bark Town, Cherrygrove City, etc

Isnt it always 2 versions are made, then they make a master version, example red and blue, then yellow, gold silver, then crystal.

I wouldn't quite say they were master versions, just versions that we generally the same as the predecessors but with marked differences. E.g. in Yellow you've got Pikachu following you and you get all three starters, in Emerald you fight both Team Aqua and Magma, etc

Lionx
08-03-2007, 05:44 AM

Green and Blue are the same game, yes. It was Green in Japan, but Blue elsewhere.

I think this is false, i do have a japanese version of Blue, Greeen AND Red back in the days....but i do know Green was never out in the states. However i dont know the difference between them.

qwertysaur
08-03-2007, 06:05 AM
Pokémon Red and Blue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokemon_Green#Development)

This clears up the differences between red, blue and green.

Lionx
08-03-2007, 06:21 AM
Lol thats what i thought....x.x I remember getting all the colors back in the days all in Japanese before it was out in the States...

Heath
08-03-2007, 12:49 PM

I think this is false, i do have a japanese version of Blue, Greeen AND Red back in the days....but i do know Green was never out in the states. However i dont know the difference between them.

Eh. Apart from some relatively minor differences what I said was still generally right. They are essentially the same game.

Kanshisha
08-03-2007, 01:06 PM
It's the same ... but i think it's just the certain legendaries? io don't know.. but yeah, it's all the same thing

UltimateSpamGrover
08-04-2007, 08:07 AM
I know the original Pokemon Green pokemon sprites look different than the original Red/Blue ones.