PDA

View Full Version : Would you go this far for your password?

Iceglow
07-31-2007, 12:15 AM
Article (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/sex,-crime-and-videogames/gang-kidnaps-gamer-to-get-password-using-fake-orkut-date-280966.php)

Would you go that far to protect your password? What do you think kept him from stopping himself giving over the password?

strawberryman
07-31-2007, 12:26 AM
Really, as long as you're the only one who has said password, you have a significant amount of leverage despite having a gun held to your head. It would likely be hard to remember such in that situation, but that's where willpower comes in.

Since I, for one, would believe that you'd be more at risk after giving the password, since you're no longer any use, I'd likely keep it to myself. But, as I said, people are more likely than not to act differently in the actual situation than what they say they'd do, so.

I think another valid question is whether you'd go to such lengths to get a password like that. ;)

Namelessfengir
07-31-2007, 01:28 AM
it depends on what the password is for and how much its worth. like bank accounts compared to a god damn game account.

id give my bank account and laugh as they left cuz there's only a couple hundred bucks .... big score!!!

as for the game account who cares???

Rostum
07-31-2007, 01:58 AM
as for the game account who cares???

I think the article said something about it being worth $8,000. Or that is how much they were going to try and sell it for. Though, you are still right... it's just a game account.

Mirage
07-31-2007, 02:20 AM
I would go as far as not falling for traps like that.

KentaRawr!
07-31-2007, 02:40 AM
Woah, that dude has a +577 mana potion in GUNBOUND? That is the best looking item in the game EVER!

Anyway, that was a pretty odd story. I'd have probably given them the password, but on the other hand, they can't get it if they kill me, and if they do get it, no more need for me, is there? But still, if they realize it's not coming out of me, they'll ditch the plan and kill me, won't they? But of course, instead they let me go. They're nice. I guess I should have let them have my password. But naturally, an unrealistic end for an unrealistic demand, as it always goes. If their greatest plan was to sell a Gunbound account, I guess one couldn't expect them to be very experienced.

Madame Adequate
07-31-2007, 02:56 AM
Their failure to kneecap him shows their uselessness at threats and extraction of information.

Peter_20
07-31-2007, 03:28 AM
Wohoo, and in a few weeks videogames will get an even worse reputation, because OMG videogame pazzw0rd2 enkorridj murd3r!11!

...and this concerns *all* gamers, not just crazy people with strong mental problems.
Videogames will kill this planet, yes-yes-yes.

Odaisé Gaelach
07-31-2007, 04:54 AM
Their failure to kneecap him shows their uselessness at threats and extraction of information.

Hit the nail on the head there. Both metaphorically and literally. :)

Markus. D
07-31-2007, 05:49 AM
Let's not forget:

THERE ARE NO GIRLS ON THE INTERNET~

Captain Maxx Power
07-31-2007, 02:29 PM
I got mugged for my WoW exp yesterday in Brixton :(

Bunny
07-31-2007, 02:48 PM
lol called their bluff

Hazzard
07-31-2007, 02:54 PM
What a heroic nerd.

tidus_rox
08-01-2007, 05:06 AM
I would obviously give them the passowrd... my goodness...

Heath
08-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Well, I'm really quite surprised by that, especially due to the fact it's in Brazil. In South Korea and Japan there's a bit of a history of madness over MMO games, at least. Still props to the guy for not giving in, he's clearly one of life's winners.

Fuzoya
08-01-2007, 02:45 PM
If something like this would happen to me and they wanted my wow account I would have given the password right away!
Because I can the secret password and all the other info to the account so I can take it back whenever I want :D