PDA

View Full Version : Help with getting an online multiplayer to work

McLovin'
07-31-2007, 01:25 AM
I am trying to set up a multilayer session with another computer from a long way away for this game (www.rasterwerks.com).

It says to put in the IP address of my server and then click "Server" in the Network Mode. And all the other person has to do is put the same IP and click "Client" in Network Mode.

So my question is why when I put my Ip in the "Server IP" area it does not work. (the other person can't connect)

Am I using the wrong IP for I tried using my computer IP from "whatismyip" and also the 2 IP's given when go to command prompt and type "ipconfig." (not the Subnet Mask cause I don't know what that is...)

Can ya help me?

Mirage
07-31-2007, 01:50 AM
Two IPs? You shouldn't use the one that's labelled "Gateway".

McLovin'
07-31-2007, 01:58 AM
Well I used the one labeled "IP Address" but they say they still can't connect. And I have no idea how to find the port so I leave the default one as it is on the game. (1626)

o_O
07-31-2007, 02:15 AM
The game isn't hosted locally, so using any IP addresses you get from ipconfig won't work. Most likely they're something like 192.168.*.*.

The address that you should use is whatever you get from http://www.whatismyip.com. You should also make sure that there isn't any firewall or antivirus blocking that particular application at either end.

Editga: Removed EoFF's IP. Automatically parsed in there. :p

McLovin'
07-31-2007, 02:57 AM
Still doesn't work. The other person can't connect.

And it isn't a firewall problem. (else a pop up would have appeared saying the firewall blocked it)

I have it as Server, IP from whatismyip, and the port 1626. =/

Rostum
07-31-2007, 03:21 AM
And it isn't a firewall problem. (else a pop up would have appeared saying the firewall blocked it)

It could be a hardware firewall. :p

rubah
07-31-2007, 03:46 AM
Do you have a router that doesn't have proper ports forwarded?

Shiny
07-31-2007, 09:02 PM

It could be a hardware firewall. :p

Nah, I unblocked it and still won't let me connect to a client. It works as a server though. But, when tried vice versa it doesn't work still.

Discord
07-31-2007, 10:29 PM
Install Hamachi on both PCs and play over pseudo-LAN.

PS: Which game are we talking about?

o_O
08-01-2007, 02:33 AM
Hamachi is good, but the game's not hosted locally, so I doubt you could play over a LAN. I haven't tried the game since there isn't a Shockwave plugin for Linux, but I highly doubt it's possible.

I would do what Allie said and check that all of the necessary ports are forwarded in your routers.

Baloki
08-01-2007, 11:26 AM
Arn't you supposed to put their IP in your settings and they put your IP in their settings?

McLovin'
08-01-2007, 07:25 PM
no :p you want them to connect to YOUR IP or else you won't be playing together :p

I know what the problem is. It's the port. I need to find out my computer's port and put it in or else it won't work.

Discord
08-02-2007, 10:41 PM
Ohhh.. it's one of those Shockwave games! Hmm... unless you've got the access to your routers settings, you can pretty much forget it. Only the admins can forward the ports.

PS: Since when do you need to forward the ports for Sheckwave MPs though?

McLovin'
08-03-2007, 12:28 AM
go to the website to see what I mean cause I don't know what you're saying. :)

o_O
08-03-2007, 04:17 AM
Ok I tried the game and it is indeed trying to use a non-standard port (1626 by default). Here is how to forward ports:
- Start > run and type "ipconfig"
- Note down the IP address and default gateway.
- Open IE or Firefox and enter the default gateway as the address.
- It will ask you for username and password. Usually "admin/admin" or "admin/password". If not, Google for your router to find default admin username and password.
- Go to <a href="http://www.portforward.com">portforward.com</a> and (follow static IP guide if you haven't already got one) find your router on the routers page.
- You can pretty much follow instructions for any application guide there, just replace names (Shockwave) and ports (1626) where appropriate.

McLovin'
08-03-2007, 04:33 AM
Thanks for the info. :)