PDA

View Full Version : Triple Triad: Can it be matched?

CloudDragon
07-31-2007, 05:58 AM
Is it just me or was this one of the BEST mini games in an RPG? I find myself starting new games on FF8 for the sole reason of playing some Triple Triad.

The aspects I love about this game are how simple it seems, yet becomes more complex the further you get in the story while visiting different regions. It's an easy game to learn and master, but being familiar with all the rules takes a little bit of mastery. It's such a great feeling hearing that fanfare music when you when a card battle.

Other card mini games have never been able to live up to this one in other RPGs I've played. What are your thoughts?

Xurts
07-31-2007, 06:40 AM
I liked everything about it and thought it was great. The artwork, music, rules, sidequests, modding, etc. It very rarely got boring, and it was fun collecting every card. Triple Triad is definitely my favorite FF minigame. Tetra Master had the potential to be better, and it's a shame that it failed.

rubah
07-31-2007, 06:48 AM
Triple triad exemplifies the best qualities of card games:

It is basically very simple but has an increasing scale of difficulty(or fun).

Also it can be played in real life!

strawberryman
07-31-2007, 06:51 AM
I have to agree it was quite addicting. Fun enough that I just couldn't get those Hero Drinks and Holy Wars out of whatever that GF ability was that I can't recall at the moment by converting cards. I'm sure someone will chime up with the answer.

McLovin'
07-31-2007, 06:58 AM
That is just one thing FF8 is great at :)

CloudDragon
07-31-2007, 07:06 AM
I liked everything about it and thought it was great. The artwork, music, rules, sidequests, modding, etc. It very rarely got boring, and it was fun collecting every card. Triple Triad is definitely my favorite FF minigame. Tetra Master had the potential to be better, and it's a shame that it failed.

I was trying to think of the name for that. Tetra Master, ah. I see what you mean. It seems FF8 made playing Triple Triad almost inevitable in acquiring some items. That may have forced a lot of players into the game but for the better I think.

LunarWeaver
07-31-2007, 07:31 AM
It was the only mini-game I ever devoted myself to because I enjoyed it and not because there was some game-related prize for it. Not that you couldn't get things out of it by turning cards into items, but I'm just saying it -- for once -- wasn't the driving motivation.

God, I love Triple Triad ;_;

CloudDragon
07-31-2007, 07:34 AM
The fact that there's a mini game you can enjoy AND progress further through the game with rare items makes it even more appealing.

Wolf Kanno
07-31-2007, 08:30 AM
Triple Triad, dare I say it... is the best mini game in the FF series. I don't know why it hasn't shown up again. I know people who only play VIII so they can play this card game. My own save file has at least a good 10 hours devoted to me just playing this card game. I still haven't been able to get every card either... Damn you Card Queesn! Damn you Random rule! I need my smurfing Chicobo card back!

Hambone
07-31-2007, 11:38 AM
Excuse me? Tetra Master is much better.

BG-57
07-31-2007, 04:55 PM
Triple Triad was simply the most addictive mini-game I've ever played. Of course, being the way I am, I just kept the cards instead of refining them. Except for my Disc 4 save where I had nothing to lose.

I guess it reflects my hoarding/collecting attitude IRL. :p

Xurts
07-31-2007, 05:16 PM
I have to agree it was quite addicting. Fun enough that I just couldn't get those Hero Drinks and Holy Wars out of whatever that GF ability was that I can't recall at the moment by converting cards. I'm sure someone will chime up with the answer.
All you need to do that is Quetzacoatl's Card Mod ability. Beat King for the Gilgamesh card, which refines into 10 Holy Wars.

PS - Tetra Master is rubbish.

The Ceej
07-31-2007, 08:04 PM
Triple Triad was so good that I bought a few packs of the cards and used them to win almost every card in the deck from a guy who worked at EB. I think the problem with Triple Triad was that they made it too good and there was no way they could follow it. The problem now is, even though I have all the cards, no on ever wants to play with me. Of course, these people don't play Final Fantasy VIII either. Well. One did. But in his defense, he was too stupid to figure out how to play it in the game. So, why would he want to play a master at it?

So yeah. Triple Triad is, undeniably, the absolute best minigame Square ever had to offer. And unlike many of their minigames that came later, Triple Triad was completely optional.

CloudDragon
07-31-2007, 10:05 PM
Triple Triad was so good that I bought a few packs of the cards and used them to win almost every card in the deck from a guy who worked at EB. I think the problem with Triple Triad was that they made it too good and there was no way they could follow it. The problem now is, even though I have all the cards, no on ever wants to play with me. Of course, these people don't play Final Fantasy VIII either. Well. One did. But in his defense, he was too stupid to figure out how to play it in the game. So, why would he want to play a master at it?

So yeah. Triple Triad is, undeniably, the absolute best minigame Square ever had to offer. And unlike many of their minigames that came later, Triple Triad was completely optional.

Wait they sold TT cards at EB games?

Hayate
08-01-2007, 12:10 AM
I liked Triple Triad and such but...I think Blitzball is the best minigame out there to date. =).

Triad was really cool though. You could refine the cards into some very useful items but, Blitzball will always be my favorite.

Zeromus_X
08-01-2007, 12:24 AM
Tetra Master is better. xD Didn't see the whole pull with Triple Triad, as I could get through the game just fine even without all of the prizes. The rules and the general game itself just confused me, which wasn't so with Tetra Master, which was actually fun.

Still, nothing will ever be as bad as Blitzball.

Iceglow
08-01-2007, 12:46 AM
Triple Triad was amazingly simple, numbers 1 - 9 and A, A beats all numbers of higher value beat others turn on 4 axis, walls = A always.... and simplicity worked for it. With Tetra master it got too complex, turn on up to 8 axis, attack and defence ratings even I couldn't figure out (I spent probably in excess of 100 hours on Triple Triad removing all the rules in the game bar Open, All, Same wall. A lengthy process but awesome to use, same wall cannot work without same so it's effectively removed from play meaning "open" and "all" are the only 2 rules in play anywhere) I liked Tetra master to a degree and managed eventually to find cards I could win multiple games with but there was no bonus to doing it other than the black-jack game at the end with Vivi.

Ouch!
08-01-2007, 12:59 AM
Heroes and Holy Wars, yeah. If you beat the CC group on Disc 3, you can challenge Diamond on the Ragnarok after Time Compression and win any rare cards you missed/modded. Modding 'em automatically adds them to Diamond's inventory, so you can win the cards back over and over.

And yes, Triple Triad is undoubtedly the most addictive mini-game ever.

terus01
08-02-2007, 02:55 PM

HA? I never tried it... :cry:

The first time I played FF8 I really hate card games (Because I hated card games in real life also years ago).

After I repeat it once or twice, I changed my mind.

It is fun, challenging, and quite simple.

But, the minigames I like is Blitzball, I think it is the greatest minigames in FF.

Araciel
08-02-2007, 03:09 PM
i found it boring, and it's convenient that if you don't like it, you don't have to play it....like FF8 itself, which i also quit.

The Ceej
08-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Wait they sold TT cards at EB games?

Yes. They were sold as Final Fantasy VIII cards. You got like fifteen of varying types of cards having to do with the game. Four of them would be Triple Triad cards. So, if you were good at the game, and you knew people that were buying a lot, all you had to buy were two packs. I bought about ten packs before I realized the guy who was selling them to me was a big collector that called himself an expert player. I challenged him to a series of games with all the rules in effect, trade rules all) and didn't lose a game. I just kept taking his cards, five at a time, until he had one card left. I don't remember what it was, but it was one he wasn't willing to give up and one I never obtained. I still bought cards until they were no longer available and I'm still missing a few cards. Half of the player cards and cards here and there in the rest of the deck. If you have them and you want to play...

Jessweeee♪
08-02-2007, 10:14 PM
:kaoclove: I LOVE TRIPLE TRIAD :kaoclove:

I never got the hang of Tetra Master...and Blitzball was kinda fun...but I totally sucked at it....

Roto13
08-03-2007, 12:46 AM
It's fun if there's no Random rule in effect.

Also, I can't imagine paying money for actual Triple Triad cards. They're actually less useful than ingame cards and those are free. Unless someone out there has a Quezacotl.

rubah
08-03-2007, 01:17 AM
I printed mine ftw

Odaisé Gaelach
08-03-2007, 01:25 AM

Couldn't you also play Terra Master in real life? And Blitzball?

...Hang on, I'll get back to you on that one.

Comet
08-04-2007, 08:10 PM
In Triple Triad, I got every single card except:

PuPu
Irvine
Kiros
Doomtrain
Phoenix

This is due to that stupid Queen of Cards Quest, which I couldn't keep up with!

CloudDragon
08-04-2007, 09:10 PM
That's something I'm going to try and master this play though. The Queen of Cards Quest that is.

Jimsour
08-04-2007, 09:28 PM
When I got far enough in FFVII that all I had to do was beat Sephiroth (literally! I done *everything* else I could on my first game bar any Aeris stuff) I spent hours in the gold saucer playing mini games.

When FFVIII came out I followed a guide that told me how to play Triple Triad, the basics, but I never got into the game untill close to the end, so I didnt have any weird rules to get rid of apart from random (ugh!) and I really got into it. I think I had most cards and every special card (gfs, characters) eventually other than I think, Shiva, because I didnt give the magazine to the guy on the boat.

Yes, Triple Triad kicked arse, I could never get into FFIX's Tetra master, I just wasnt good at it, I despise Blitzball and the only way I could get 100% in FFX-2 was by using an online guide to beat Shinra at Sphere break.

Triple Triad beat them all hands down as I havent done any mini games in FFXII yet.

ReloadPsi
08-04-2007, 10:05 PM
I love Triple Triad on the one condition that the Plus rule isn't being used, as I lose way too many matches to perfect AI :p

Also, items from cards. No complaint there!

CloudDragon
08-07-2007, 06:19 AM
Plus and Same were awesome rules, I thought.

The Ceej
08-07-2007, 03:20 PM
Plus and Same were awesome rules, I thought.

Agreed. Plus and Same added an element of strategy. Especially if you were playing Open.

PuPu
08-08-2007, 02:46 AM
Triple Triad was okay. The Random, Same, and Plus rules were really annoying though. Tetra Master was just slightly better than Triple Triad, since was more challenging. Blitzball in FFX was fun at first, but got really boring after you play it for a long time...especially when trying to get Wakka's Celestial Weapon. Blitzball in X-2 was the most pathetic excuse for a minigame.

But my favorite minigame is actually Chocobo Hot & Cold.

Goldenboko
08-08-2007, 02:59 AM
But my favorite minigame is actually Chocobo Hot & Cold.

Finally starting to give in to the Choco-side are we? :mwahaha:

PuPu
08-08-2007, 03:02 AM
No. I still enjoy killing Chocobos in X-2 because they always pummel me with ChocoMeteor. And if I ever catch them, I send them to desert, or feed them to the Chocobo Eater.

Chocobo Eaters for the win!

Markus. D
08-11-2007, 01:52 AM
I love it n___n

It has so much benefit OUT of the Minigame aswell, which I think adds to it :]