PDA

View Full Version : Which was better, Rogue Galaxy or Odin Sphere?

Dragonsoul
07-31-2007, 08:50 PM
These are tied for the 5th best rpg release in the Spring season by me, based on their popularity and reviews. Here's a tentative order...

1. World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade(PC)
2. The Elder Scrolls IV: The Shivering Isles(PC, Xbox 360)
3. Super Paper Mario(Wii)
4. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion(w/ Knights of the Nine)(PS 3)
5th or 6th. Rogue Galaxy
5th or 6th. Odin Sphere

I have Rogue Galaxy and am 13 hours into it. I have never played Odin Sphere. Both are action rpg's released this spring for Playstation 2 with roughly the same level of popularity, so I thought a poll would be a good thing to make.

Since I haven't played Odin Sphere I may not choose one, I'll vote for I don't know. What is your choice and comments? :)

Slothy
07-31-2007, 09:06 PM
I haven't played Rogue Galaxy, but it didn't appeal to me too much in previews and such. Odin Sphere is one of my favourite action RPG's ever, with a good story, great gameplay, and the most beautiful 2D graphics (and some of the most beautiful period) I've ever seen. The soundtrack is also exceptional.

Dragonsoul
07-31-2007, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the post! Please don't forget to vote on thread! :)

I remember when I was reading in various rpg magazines and/or websites last fall and I believe they said that Final Fantasy XII was the last good rpg for PS 2 or did they say that FF XII is the last super huge rpg for PS 2? Anyways, since that time we have Rogue Galaxy and Odin Sphere. We also have coming up Shin Megamei Tensei: Persona 3, Wild Arms, and Final Fantasy XI: Wings of the Goddess. FF XI: W of the G may be the last great rpg for Playstation 2. Also, the .hack//G.U. trilogy may be as good as these games or nearly as good right?

Is there any other great rpg coming out for PS 2 after FF XI: W of the G(Oct 16th)?

Go to the Odin Sphere website, the music is great!! :D

Madame Adequate
08-01-2007, 12:28 AM
I wanna get a hold of Odin Sphere, but right now I'm too poor. I do have Rogue Galaxy, and although it's a lot of fun at first I got bored of it before I saw it through to the end. Actually, thinking about it, I got bored because there is one boss fight which is just dumb and annoying.

Slothy
08-01-2007, 02:37 AM
I wanna get a hold of Odin Sphere, but right now I'm too poor.

Do you have two kidneys? If so, you can do with just one. I'd sell one of mine for the game if I had to.

JKTrix
08-01-2007, 01:49 PM
I'd say Odin Sphere. While I've dropped both into the abyss of my 'Play it Later' gaming collection, Odin Sphere held my attention for a much longer period of time.

Dreddz
08-01-2007, 02:04 PM
The level of quality that Level 5 put into their RPG's is staggering. You'll be hard to find a game that is more worth your money than a game from Level 5. Rogue Galaxy is a perfect example on how much depth and detail Level 5 put into their games. Its hard to gripe about anything in Rogue Galaxy as it is all played out flawlessly, you'll only dislike the game if what there offering you is not your thing to begin with.

I have yet to play Odin Sphere. Im sure that game is great and all but no other game developer knows how to push my buttons as much as Level 5 do. So my personal opinion is that Rogue Galaxy is the better game.

Dragonsoul
08-01-2007, 08:07 PM
Odin Sphere is so far winning the thread.

Game Reviews from Metacritic (http://www.metacritic.com/games)
Game Rankings - Video Game Reviews, Release Dates, Cheat Codes (http://www.gamerankings.com)

Go to those two sites, type in both games, and look at their averages of critical and user reviews. They are both about the same except Odin Sphere has higher user reviews on Metacritic.

I may play Odin Sphere next year.

JKTrix
08-01-2007, 08:54 PM
I'm glad you're going to play Bioshock. Hopefully that'll loosen your RPG fixation and expose you to the rest of the Game world.

Dragonsoul
08-01-2007, 08:57 PM
I've played the rest of the game world and I don't have interest in it as much as I do for rpg's. I do like Resident Evil games and real-time strategy games though.

Bioshock is a hybrid between first person shooter, action/adventure, and action rpg. I will rent that game. I wonder if it will be more popular than Mass Effect?

Slothy
08-01-2007, 09:40 PM
I may play Odin Sphere next year.

Hopefully you'll be able to find it by then. It strikes me as the type of game that, regardless of the good reviews and the hype, will likely become a hard to find classic before too long.