PDA

View Full Version : Will video games ever be truly accepted?

Peter_20
08-01-2007, 03:09 AM
This interactive entertainment has existed for over 50 years now, and it still suffers from labels such as "it's for children!" and "it's sooo violent!".
These labels are completely contradaictory as well, which make the whole thing rather comical.
Anyway, do you think the video game haters will ever realize that video games is a perfectly great piece of art?
Yes, art, because they stir up feelings within you, and lots of producers and directors work in a team for some years trying to create a great, memorable game.
That's why this is art, but some people just don't wan't to realize that.

I've convinced my mother that video games are more than just "bang-bang-bang gained 5000 points", and she even tries to show some interest in my playing game now.
I've also fooled her into playing "Terra's Theme" from Final Fantasy 6 on her violin, and she thought it was a wonderful melody, and then I told her it was from a video game.
I've done this to her several times, too. XD
However, I still feel that she hasn't fully realized this medium's full potential, and that she still probably doesn't realize how fantastic video games can be.

This goes for most people that never actually try video games; they tend to think of the medium as a zombie-slaughter full of clichés and senseless violence with stiff characters.

qwertysaur
08-01-2007, 03:12 AM
I am trying to lead my mother into games. I got her to play DDR once, and she looked like she was haveing fun.

Tavrobel
08-01-2007, 03:18 AM
Everyone needs a scapegoat.

Peter_20
08-01-2007, 03:19 AM
I am trying to lead my mother into games. I got her to play DDR once, and she looked like she was haveing fun.Yeah, that's what I mean.
When you actually get them to play a game, they suddenly go all "wohoo, this is fun!", but they usually refuse to even try it out; for some reason they usually want to keep their prejudiced views on the medium.

tetsuyabh
08-01-2007, 03:22 AM
I think it's as simple as this:

Our generation, namely people 30 and younger, recognize video games as just as meaningful a medium for expression as motion picture.

When all the old people die, video games will finally get some respect.

Goldenboko
08-01-2007, 03:26 AM

Our generation, namely people 30 and younger, recognize video games as just as meaningful a medium for expression as motion picture.

Yep basically.

cloud21zidane16
08-01-2007, 03:33 AM

Yep basically.

not for sure, when we get old we our hearing and vision might not be as good and video games may be more detailed and difficult so we will get very frustrated and hate all newer games:p And we will be complaining how final fantasys these days are no where near as good as they used to be:D

Griff
08-01-2007, 03:55 AM
Every negative thing that has been said about video games was once said about heavy rock music (except for the for kids part) back in the 70s-80s and now most people do accept it at the very least, whether they like it or not, the same will happen with video games soon enough, just give it time.

Lawr
08-01-2007, 04:02 AM
Your Question:
Will video games ever be truly accepted?

Your Answer:

pspkilla
08-01-2007, 04:14 AM
I heard that this year video games are going to outsell CDs. But i also heard that they were trying to diagnose gaming as a sickness lol.

Araciel
08-01-2007, 04:24 AM
i think when all the right-wing conservatives who want something base their campaign platforms on, video games will be accepted.

tidus_rox
08-01-2007, 04:54 AM
MMM, my mom enjoys DDR. She doesn't really look at video games as the cliche type. She does recognize that there are very brilliant storylines and crap - but thats just what she hates. She thinks that videogames SHOULD be cliche and "who-gets-the-most-points" kinda thing...

What a weird family, hey?

Peter_20
08-01-2007, 05:01 AM
MMM, my mom enjoys DDR. She doesn't really look at video games as the cliche type. She does recognize that there are very brilliant storylines and crap - but thats just what she hates. She thinks that videogames SHOULD be cliche and "who-gets-the-most-points" kinda thing...

What a weird family, hey?Why are video game considered "shoot heads for high score" in the first place?
Where does this prejudice come from?

...and the very next day, games are considered "childish" all of a sudden. :eep:

Markus. D
08-01-2007, 05:38 AM
I try to get my family members into games.

:]

They like hack 'n' slash rpg games annnnnnnd Pokemenz

Peter_20
08-01-2007, 06:01 AM

They like hack 'n' slash rpg games annnnnnnd PokemenzYou can't dislike Pokémon, the creatures are too cute for that. :D

I mean, Bulbasaur, Pikachu, Ponyta and Turtwig?
*dies*

Hazzard
08-01-2007, 10:39 AM

They like hack 'n' slash rpg games annnnnnnd PokemenzYou can't dislike Pokémon, the creatures are too cute for that. :D

*dies*

it would be a crime if you disliked it.

tetsuyabh
08-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Haha, I love your input, Sagensyg.

Hilarious.

Nifleheim7
08-01-2007, 11:33 AM
In 2006 video games outselled the movie and music industry but some people still not think of games as respectful as the other forms of entertainment.
Ultimately,as others have already said,video games will not get the recognition they deserve until the generations "shift" (to put it politely)
It's just a matter of time.

Peter_20
08-01-2007, 12:34 PM

*dies*

it would be a crime if you disliked it.Yeah.
You also gotta love it when Pikachu stands there and goes "Pikapikapikaaa!"
Too cute for words. :love:

Captain Maxx Power
08-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Prostitution's being going for thousands of years and that's still not fully accepted. We've got no chance.

JKTrix
08-01-2007, 01:18 PM
Every negative thing that has been said about video games was once said about heavy rock music (except for the for kids part) back in the 70s-80s and now most people do accept it at the very least, whether they like it or not, the same will happen with video games soon enough, just give it time.

It even goes beyond the 'heavy rock' of that time. TV airings of Elvis' performances used to be limited to the top half of his body, because his gyrations were deemed too sexy for TV. Look at TV now.

It's true, it's all about the generations. Like many people have said, once the older generation fades out, our generation of people who grew up with videogames will be the norm.

Nintendo seems to be accellerating this now. Games are bleeding in to the older generations already, softening it up. There are still the random negative spikes, like the recent Manhunt 'banning', but as a whole games are entering 'mainstream' entertainment.