PDA

View Full Version : Crtitics be damned!

Rengori
08-01-2007, 11:39 AM
What movies do you love that the critics simply hated?

I thought Kung Pow! was hilarious, but at Rotten Tomatoes it has a 10%.

Heath
08-01-2007, 11:48 AM
I can't think of any films off the top of my head, but I absolutely adore Police Squad! which was cancelled after one series by the television channel it was on (required too much attention to watch, supposedly).

Shoeberto
08-01-2007, 06:28 PM

When I saw the thread title, Kung Pow! was the first movie to come to mind.

I'm generally a snobby movie elitist, but I love Kung Pow.

The Ceej
08-01-2007, 07:35 PM
As a general rule, the critics are usually wrong. So, the more the critics hate it (or profess to hate it), the more likely it is to be a great movie and vice versa. I think they're just angry that they're not good enough to have any part in the making of the film, so they figure they'll ruin the industry by giving a review which is opposite their actual opinion.

For example:

They really spat all over The Butterfly Effect which turned out to be a great movie.

They gave glowing reviews to Terminator 3, which, as we all know, was terrible storywise because it didn't follow Cameron's original storyline. Mostow didn't know what the hell Terminator was supposed to be about.

I was going to see Eragon on my birthday this year, but someone who was a big fan of dragons told me it was terrible. For this reason, I decided to read the reviews. The critics loved the movie. This sealed the deal. If an expert and a critic disagree, the expert is always right. I decided not to see Eragon. I could go on all day, but you get the point.

Fonzie
08-01-2007, 08:11 PM
As a general rule, the critics are usually wrong. So, the more the critics hate it (or profess to hate it), the more likely it is to be a great movie and vice versa. I think they're just angry that they're not good enough to have any part in the making of the film, so they figure they'll ruin the industry by giving a review which is opposite their actual opinion.

For example:

They really spat all over The Butterfly Effect which turned out to be a great movie.

They gave glowing reviews to Terminator 3, which, as we all know, was terrible storywise because it didn't follow Cameron's original storyline. Mostow didn't know what the hell Terminator was supposed to be about.

I was going to see Eragon on my birthday this year, but someone who was a big fan of dragons told me it was terrible. For this reason, I decided to read the reviews. The critics loved the movie. This sealed the deal. If an expert and a critic disagree, the expert is always right. I decided not to see Eragon. I could go on all day, but you get the point.

Ay, The Butterfly Effect was a great movie.

Miriel
08-01-2007, 08:39 PM
As a general rule, the critics are usually wrong.
As a general rule, i find that critics are usually right.

I can't think of any movies right now that I loved but critics hated.

XxSephirothxX
08-01-2007, 09:00 PM
Agreed. Critics are just people who watch lots of movies, and in general that means they sort of know what they're talking about. Obviously anyone with a brain knows when and when not to totally rely on what a critic says. If they give a huge action movie bad reviews for having a lame story, well, as long as you wanted to see it for the action, who cares?

For example:

I saw that movie. Man, was it bad. :p

Terminator 3 was fine as an action movie, despite the story not being as good as what was presented in the first two. And while he may have sort of ruined Cameron's storyline, at least it didn't play out exactly how one would've expected.

The critics totally :skull::skull::skull::skull: all over Eragon. 16% = not love. Maybe you're just not looking at enough critics. The idea is to look at general consensus, or, even better, find a critic who has similar tastes in films as you yourself do, and use that as a guideline.

Araciel
08-01-2007, 09:13 PM
i don't listen to critics, but for the most part they agree with my tastes. they know what elements make a good movie, which is why they get paid to do what they do. if a critic craps on a movie, i reserve judgment until i see it myself and then usually see why they said what they said, or if i disagree with some of their points.

Vermachtnis
08-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Dirty Work, that movie was awesome.

Faris
08-01-2007, 09:45 PM
I never really pay attention to what critics say I just watch whatever sounds interesting, so I don't really know. However, my dad keeps complaining how critics always put down Will Smith movies. I do like some of his movies, I Robot was good and it was put down a lot apparently.

Ryth
08-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Everyone who said Kung Pow! has my respect.

Germ Hamee
08-01-2007, 09:54 PM
For the most part, I agree with the critics I keep up with, but every once and awhile I manage to disagree profousely. There's only two movies I can think of at the moment: The Fountain, and Silent Hill.

While The Fountain wasn't all out bashed by critics, the consensus seemed to be completely divided in half. A lot of people just didn't get it, and that saddens me.

And I just thought Silent Hill was a great horror movie. It was also a movie people didn't get, which I don't understand because it takes 20 minutes to lay everything out for you. I guess it's just a bias against video games. Then again, I'm probably biased due to my love of the series. I guess that makes this a null point. Whatever.

Rocket Edge
08-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Freddy got Fingered.

Bunny
08-02-2007, 01:26 PM
I do not read reviews. I am my own person and will my make own judgement based on my own opinions, I do not need a professional critic to tell me how to feel about a movie.

Madame Adequate
08-02-2007, 01:35 PM
I do not read reviews. I am my own person and will my make own judgement based on my own opinions, I do not need a professional critic to tell me how to feel about a movie.

It must be nice to have infinite time and money and so be able to judge every movie ever for yourself.

Bunny
08-02-2007, 01:48 PM
I look at each movie individually, by trailers and very brief summaries. If I don't think the movie sounds interesting, then I do not bother with it. I never said I saw every movie ever made, did I?

jrgen
08-02-2007, 02:49 PM
For example:

It's a great movie, if you get the proper ending. I saw it once and thought it was great and told my family to watch it when it was on the movie channels. But then when we watched it, they aired some ridiculous happy ending, in which none of the pieces fit together. So if the critics saw the version which ends with the dude seeing the chick walk away on the streets, I understand why it got bad reviews. The real version is, however, very intelligent and philosophical.

The Ceej
08-02-2007, 07:57 PM
For example:

It's a great movie, if you get the proper ending. I saw it once and thought it was great and told my family to watch it when it was on the movie channels. But then when we watched it, they aired some ridiculous happy ending, in which none of the pieces fit together. So if the critics saw the version which ends with the dude seeing the chick walk away on the streets, I understand why it got bad reviews. The real version is, however, very intelligent and philosophical.

There are actually four endings. And the one that played in theaters is a lot worse than the one that ended up on the DVD. And they had to cut scenes out to make the theatrical ending work.

I have one caveat with that movie and that's the part where he's in jail and goes back in time and slams his hands on the receipt holders and then comes back and the scars had magically appeared. First of all, best case scenario, they would have been there his whole life. Second, it would probably have been enough in its own right to change the timeline. But yeah. That's my only caveat with that movie and I wish they would have noticed that wasn't plausible before filming.

EDIT: I like to call this movie the anti-It's A Wonderful Life. If you've seen the DVD version, you'd know why.

Sefie1999AD
08-02-2007, 08:42 PM
The movie "Hoodwinked" was often bashed by the critics, especially for its somewhat outdated CGI graphics, but I found the movie enjoyable myself. :) The writing was pretty clever, the movie was entertaining, there's some parody elements of the original Hoodwinked story and some references to other movies as well. The movie is also "clean", so people of any age can watch it. That's pretty rare nowadays, really, even for animated films.

Roto13
08-02-2007, 10:31 PM

It must be nice to have infinite time and money and so be able to judge every movie ever for yourself.

Indeed.

I don't have the opinion that if a critic thinks something is good or bad, it must be true. But if most critics are saying a movie is terrible and I have no expectations about it, I probably won't see it. It happened with Catwoman.

I don't think anyone looks to critics to tell them what to think about a movie, but rather to offer advice whether or not to spend the time and money to see a movie in the first place.

Shiny
08-03-2007, 02:49 AM

When I saw the thread title, Kung Pow! was the first movie to come to mind.

I'm generally a snobby movie elitist, but I love Kung Pow.

Everyone who said Kung Pow! has my respect.
All three of you conquer. Kung Pow! was hilarious. Anyone who doesn't like movies just because critics dislike them is missing out.

Mirage
08-03-2007, 09:54 PM
Kung Pow! for the win. I also thought the butterfly effect was good, I got the ending where he killed himself in his mother's womb.

Anyway, I tend to listen to critics to a certain degree. If everyone everywhere are giving a movie :skull::skull::skull::skull:ty reviews, I probably won't waste my time on it, but if the reviews are mixed, some really good and some really bad, the bad ones won't stop me.

And yeah, T3 is clearly incompatible with T2's ending. T3 was an interesting watch nevertheless, but not even close to T2.

Zeromus_X
08-03-2007, 10:02 PM
I generally don't read reviews, since obviously everyone's opinions differ. I take reviews for a grain of salt most of the time. I'll go see a movie if I want to, and whether I enjoyed it or not it is just fine with me.