PDA

View Full Version : Why use a Japanese word in English when English has a word for it?

ReloadPsi
08-01-2007, 03:29 PM
It really annoys me when people are speaking English and then throw in foreign words which actually have an exact equivalent word in the English language. There are a few examples that stick out here for me:

Seiyuu - This is the one that really annoys me. Seiyuu is the proper word for "voice actor" in Japanese, so as soon as a voice actor comes from Japan, he or she is not a voice actor in English terms, they're "Seiyuu" instead. Doesn't make sense; they're actors who provide voices, so they're voice actors. Which English words did "seiyuu" derive from?

Anime - A word I assume to be derived from the way they write "animation" in transliterated Japanese. They're still charicatures animated by overlaying cells and indivually drawn frames, so how is it not still a cartoon? Why do we have to use the word "anime" just because it's from Japan and uses their drawing style? A sponge cake that's light brown and has strawberry jam in the middle may be called a Victoria Sandwich, but everyone still just calls it cake.

Honourable mention: Tokusatsu, meaning "Special effects". However, seeing as these special effects shows seem to be pretty much a unique kind of genre in Japan (the live action Sailor Moon is not something we'd ever see spawned from the western world) I tend to let this one slide and even grudgingly use it. Sure enough, they were being done in Japan long before Americans started using ridiculous special effects in their kids' shows, and these even get dubbed "American tokusatsu" at times. Makes enough sense I guess.

Madame Adequate
08-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Okay, when I am in charge, #1 change to language lessons is that people now learn the ways in which languages evolve and change.

*Headdesks*

JKTrix
08-01-2007, 04:23 PM
I think a much bigger issue with these words you should have is the word 'Katana'. When you think 'Katana', you think 'Japanese Sword from Japan' (or even *shudder* Samurai Sword). But in Japanese, katana just means 'sword'. Even now with the influence of western style swords, Japanese would still generally call them 'katana'.

Words are borrowed all the time from other languages to take on similar (yet sometimes simultaneously different) meanings from the original language.

'Tokusatsu' in English is pretty obscure, unless there's some big culture of tokusatsu fans. Which I guess there is. Seiyuu is used a lot in the anime culture, because people in the anime culture--who are into Japanese things--should know what it means. It's just a way of simply identifying whatever they're talking about. Instead of saying 'Japanese Voice Actor' or 'Japanese Cartoon' or 'Japanese Sword' or 'Japanese Live Action Show With Cheesy Special Effects', they've adopted the Japanese word for it.

And of course, everything is better in Japan. /sarcasm

Zeromus_X
08-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Seiyuu - This is the one that really annoys me. Seiyuu is the proper word for "voice actor" in Japanese, so as soon as a voice actor comes from Japan, he or she is not a voice actor in English terms, they're "Seiyuu" instead. Doesn't make sense; they're actors who provide voices, so they're voice actors. Which English words did "seiyuu" derive from?

I don't believe any, since it's a Japanese word. In general, I see Seiyuu used when referring to Japanese voice actors, and Voice Actor or VA for English voice actors or otherwise. For example: "Jade Curtiss: Seiyuu: Takehito Koyasu. Voice Actor: Kirk Thornton" (Not the best example, but you get the idea). I personally just use the term 'voice actor'.

Anime - A word I assume to be derived from the way they write "animation" in transliterated Japanese. They're still charicatures animated by overlaying cells and indivually drawn frames, so how is it not still a cartoon? Why do we have to use the word "anime" just because it's from Japan and uses their drawing style? A sponge cake that's light brown and has strawberry jam in the middle may be called a Victoria Sandwich, but everyone still just calls it cake.

This is actually rather humorous because in Japanese, Anime (which you're right, it is short for animation) refers to all types of animation, not just Japanese animation. But in English and in other languages it's come to refer to specifically Japanese animation. Go figure.

ReloadPsi
08-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Instead of saying 'Japanese Voice Actor' or 'Japanese Cartoon' or 'Japanese Sword' or 'Japanese Live Action Show With Cheesy Special Effects', they've adopted the Japanese word for it.

It's when they say "Japanese anime", "Japanese tokusatsu" and "Japanese seiyuu" that the pointlessness really seeps...

Lawr
08-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Seppuku
Dattebayo

Araciel
08-01-2007, 04:44 PM
english adopts many words from many languages...it's a kind of adaptation to make you think in that mindset. if you say 'japanese cartoon' it sounds like you're talking about it to someone who doesn't know anything about it. if you say 'anime' or even japanese anime, it's more likely you're talking to someone who knows what you're talking about....it's part of the japanophile subculture.

Ouch!
08-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Seppuku
There's a little bit more to that one. =P

Lawr
08-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Lol. Ok whatever :rolleyes:

Well you'll probably encounter those when you read fan translaed 'Japanese Comic Books'. :hahaha:

Heath
08-01-2007, 05:39 PM
I think that particularly on the Internets anime, at least, is a useful way of specifically talking about Japanese animation regardless of its meaning in Japanese. It's useful it unnecessary, I guess.

Big Boss
08-01-2007, 05:50 PM
I have no idea of what you just said. I hope you have fun. :eep:

rubah
08-01-2007, 05:59 PM
It's not exactly the first time it's happened :)

It used to be fashionable for people to throw in random words of French. "Rôle" is one of those (read some books written in the 19th century in the US and look for the accent over the o :}) Nowdays, young actors and actresses auditioning for a role never give a thought to the word's not being of English origin.

Araciel
08-01-2007, 07:03 PM
i only audition for parts thank you very much.

Odaisé Gaelach
08-01-2007, 08:20 PM
I really don't think it's something to get too worked up over. At least you'd know what they're talking about: if someone mentioned "seiyuu" or "tokusatsu" to me I wouldn't know what they're talking about.

The Unknown Guru
08-01-2007, 08:33 PM
The terms you mentioned aren't really Japanese; by now, they're English terms for things from Japan. Languages change.

However, it is irritating when people randomly use normal Japanese words while they're talking. It sounds like nonsense in both languages.

Comet
08-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Sephiros = Sephiroth

Tasura
08-02-2007, 07:17 AM
The only thing that really annoys me is when people use a fully english sentence then end it with 'desu'. Or as stated, when people through a random word into an english sentence, the standard ones that people use, baka, neko, kawaii, inu, and those sorts.

Roto13
08-02-2007, 07:27 AM
The only thing that really annoys me is when people use a fully english sentence then end it with 'desu'. Or as stated, when people through a random word into an english sentence, the standard ones that people use, baka, neko, kawaii, inu, and those sorts.

Yeah, that's when it gets annoying. I actually met someone who claimed to be so Japanese that she would "accidentally" use 'r' sounds instead of 'w' sounds and stuff. She was full of crap, though.

Words like anime and katana are used to actually distinguish between two similar things, though. They have their use.

Ouch!
08-02-2007, 07:28 AM
But that's what makes crappy fan fiction so great.

Ramza Beoulve
08-02-2007, 07:51 AM
The only thing that really annoys me is when people use a fully english sentence then end it with 'desu'. Or as stated, when people through a random word into an english sentence, the standard ones that people use, baka, neko, kawaii, inu, and those sorts.:cry:...

Well, what could I say? :riiight:, I would use spanish words, but they would be quite weird and maybe offensive in other languages :rolleyes2...

About the words you mentioned, they are common in other places, like here, where a lot of people tend to use the word "Katana", "chan" and others a lot, it's just people trying to classify them.

¿Qué?

Rengori
08-02-2007, 08:14 AM
I think anytime that people throw in random terms from two languages is annoying, not just Japanese. Spanglish is so fucking annoying.

Ramza Beoulve
08-02-2007, 09:27 AM
I think anytime that people throw in random terms from two languages is annoying, not just Japanese. Spanglish is so smurfing annoying.Spanglish is pretty worse here, I gotta say. WORSE.

Tasura
08-02-2007, 06:54 PM

Yeah, that's when it gets annoying. I actually met someone who claimed to be so Japanese that she would "accidentally" use 'r' sounds instead of 'w' sounds and stuff. She was full of crap, though.

She would have to be if she used 'r' for 'w' and I actually do use 'r' instead of 'l' sometimes, same with using 'sh' instead of just 's' which comes out bad when you try and tell someone to sit down, and I'm not claiming to be Japanese, it's just from taking the course and watching a ass load of anime, it just happens, I also insert Chinese and German words if I'm tired.

No.78
08-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Because cartoon means anything animated and Anime generally means one specific type of animation...

Eiko Guy
08-02-2007, 10:41 PM
Anime is short for animation but bugs bunny is not anime. The style with which they are drawn and where the come from is pretty much why japaneses cartoons are called anime.

Otherwise my friends don't notice they say sala instead of living room and I speak spanish okay enough to not be confused so I can stand it.

Roto13
08-02-2007, 10:46 PM

She would have to be if she used 'r' for 'w' and I actually do use 'r' instead of 'l' sometimes, same with using 'sh' instead of just 's' which comes out bad when you try and tell someone to sit down, and I'm not claiming to be Japanese, it's just from taking the course and watching a ass load of anime, it just happens, I also insert Chinese and German words if I'm tired.

That actually should have read "l" instead lf "w". :P

Jessweeee♪
08-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Why let it bother you? People will talk how they want to, it's no big deal :p

Old Manus
08-02-2007, 11:24 PM
omg kawaii!!! ^___^

yeah it's japanese i'm part japanese and i can speak it if you don't understand deal w/it.

Madame Adequate
08-03-2007, 01:04 AM
I think anytime that people throw in random terms from two languages is annoying, not just Japanese. Spanglish is so smurfing annoying.

That's a baka thing to say.

Grazia
08-10-2007, 12:49 AM

Oh dear that really annoys me.... I hear people doing it all the time lately. There seems to be a lot of "domo" and "arigatou gozaimasu" floating around too....

omg kawaii!!! ^___^

yeah it's japanese i'm part japanese and i can speak it if you don't understand deal w/it.

So am I, I'm a quarter Japanese on my mothers side & I have a good understanding of Japanese because of that, but I dont go around using Japanese when I talk because there's no need to & its kinda rude... sure it can be funny sometimes, but I personally dont enjoy hearing people say things like "OMG that guy is so bishounen" or "Wow so kawaii" when they can just use the English term...

Its probably all down to the fact that Japanese culture is so popular now...

Big Brother
08-10-2007, 12:52 AM
The only thing I use in Japanese is the phrase "Shikata ga nai." It means "It can't be helped." Or more so, "Accept it and get over it"

Peegee
08-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Seppuku
Dattebayo

Desudesudesudesudesudesudesudesune?

I use 'anime' to refer to japanese animated shows too, but I won't usually say 'katana'. Saying seiyuu is idiotic, and I agree that substituting a translated Japanese term is foolish.

I think our obsession with Japanese culture is causing these foolish behaviours. It's similar to calling people 'gosu' and 'chobu' (or whatever) in Starcraft, or the obsession with 'uber' in general.

Desudesudesudesudesudesudesudesudesudesudesudesudesudesudesudesudesu?

Necronopticous
08-10-2007, 05:48 PM
It only bothers me when the word is adopted incorrectly.

"Hentai" is a good example of a word that really annoys me.

XxSephirothxX
08-10-2007, 05:58 PM
It's just one more example of how Japan is ruining our youth with its corruptive cultural influence. Hopefully our government leaders will see fit to ban their goods before it's too late.

Tavrobel
08-10-2007, 06:09 PM
I think our obsession with Japanese culture is causing these foolish behaviours. It's similar to calling people 'gosu' and 'chobu' (or whatever) in Starcraft, or the obsession with 'uber' in general.

Gosu is Korean, and is a perfectly applicable word, because it shortens typing time, a very important necessity in RTS and FPS. It's much better than typing pro, which has multiple definitions, or "he's very good," another needlessly long and complicated phrase.

Uber is German, and works as a prefix, simply because it's an easy way to say "more so than" when connected to a word, or "end of game," or "beyond normal constraints," which is close to it's actual definition. Or it can be used like gosu.

These can't be compared to Japanese-word-interpersion, because they shorten typing time into a very convenient space. Where using Japanese words when you have a perfect English alternative isn't the same as a word that's evolved in order to make things easier. Japanese doesn't make things easier, because
A) you already have an English term
B) it serves little purpose in condensation
C) wasted effort, because you have to bother to learn how to use it correctly

Big Brother
08-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Off topic, but what does "Itadakimasu" mean? I heard the phrase in the movie Grave of the Fireflies (live action version), but it had no translation.

ShunNakamura
08-10-2007, 06:45 PM
<span style="color:#FFCCFF">
Itadakimasu-

I am not sure if it has a direct translation into English or not(I have heard contradictory things).

As far as I can tell the closest thing is "I humbly recieve" or some such. It is used before meals and the ilk(hence it is sometimes translated as 'lets eat').

I don't mind the anime bit at all because the Japanese Animation does differ significantly from what had been the usual Western Animation at the time. However, another more unique word(cause shortening animation to anime is sooo unique /sarcasm) could have been made to distinguish the styles.
</span>

Sword
08-14-2007, 04:24 PM
"Anime" is not just a word that fanboys/girls are substituting for an english word because we love speaking japanese. It's an actual term for japanese animation (outside of japan). Anime is anime.

jrgen
08-14-2007, 04:31 PM
We have the same problem in Sweden. Though here people are using English terms when there are Swedish ones available.

I hate it above all else, as it's actually killing the language.

Gnostic Yevon
08-16-2007, 02:46 AM
I don't know, I guess it depends on the word. In the case of Anime, I personally use it to refer to the art style, not the fact that its animated. I don't usually talk about anime cartoons 'caue it's redundent.

But in general, its Ok to use a forgein word if it's more accurate than the standard English equivilent. Hijab is a perfectly legitamate word to use because it's simple more accurate than "headscarf" because hijabs are religious in nature, while headscerves aren't. I can't imagine anyone referring to a yarmaluke as a "beanie", it isn't accurate. You could go around calling burritos "wraps" but I'm not sure that would convey the whole picture.

I think you should favor accuracy. If you're specificaly referring to a japanese style of special effects, then Tokusatsu might be the right word to use. I don't get the whole "Kawaii" "Desu" stuff, though. It seems kinda strange to want to learn random words in another language.

The Summoner of Leviathan
08-16-2007, 03:00 AM
I can understand the point about people adding "baka", "kawaii" and other things in senselessly to their sentences, yet the thing about using "anime" and "seiyuu" is that it has a specific cultural reference. Also, sometimes translating the word loses some of the nuance of the word, thus the word is kept in its original language to preserve those nuances. This is often used in area of cultural studies. An example is the word "hubris". It is borrowed from Greek and to most it means a great pride, yet within the context of Ancient Greek culture the meaning is slightly different and carries more weight.

I randomly put French words into my English or vice versa when I cannot think of the word in the proper language.

nozkits
08-16-2007, 03:10 AM
The only thing I use in Japanese is the phrase "Shikata ga nai." It means "It can't be helped." Or more so, "Accept it and get over it"
Beats me. We get anime fans at the JSA at my Uni every year, and they all tend to scare away the japanese exchange students(do not like anime nor anime fans the word otaku is an insult in Japan).

Sooooo the only way we get rid of them is by just avoiding them.Xd

It's horrible, and its the fact that me and the other officers said this during our meeting a few weeks back XD.