PDA

View Full Version : Please, let's refer to the first FF games by their true names...

Peter_20
08-02-2007, 10:38 AM
You know that FF4 and FF6 are known as FF2 and FF3 in America, right?
Well, personally I think this is confusing as hell, and whenever I hear someone mention "FF2" or whatever, I instantly feel confused - does (s)he mean FF2 for the NES or FF4 for the SNES?
I usually assume that it's FF4, because nobody seems to play FF2. :p
Still, this is unnecessarily confusing, and it simply doesn't work.

I mean, if we were to follow the same trend in Sweden, then FF7 would be known as FF1 over here (it was the first FF game ever to be released in Sweden), and this would be pretty ridiculous.
So why didn't the American releases keep their original names as well?

I've even heard of people who claim that "FF6 should be the third installment, because it's FF3 in America!"
Alright, then what will happen to FF3 for the NES?
Should it be renamed as "FF3 NES" or "FF3j"?

I think everything would be so much simpler if everyone used the names of the Japanese originals.
FF4 IS the fourth installent in the series, and FF6 IS the sixth installment, barring FF: Mystic Quest, which counts as a spin-off anyway.

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-02-2007, 10:52 AM
This goes in General Final Fantasy.

And most people who play Final Fantasy with any regularity do this already.

Karellen
08-02-2007, 11:37 AM
I've never really noticed this being anything but a minor problem across most Final Fantasy boards. The only thing it seems to amount to is a few people accidentally posting threads in the wrong section.

I get the impression that the vast majority of people who follow the series know the difference.

Disco Potato
08-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Yeah, usually when someone makes the mistake of calling FF4/6 FF2/3 nowadays, I see a swarm of people chiming in to correct them :p

Fuzoya
08-02-2007, 03:55 PM
I've always used the original title and number for the games.

Bolivar
08-02-2007, 07:27 PM
i think everyone summed it up

i just feel with all the remakes and re-releases correcting this, i don't think it's that much of a problem anymore. Although one of my friends always asks me "american or japanese (x)" whenever i tell him i'm playin II or III.