PDA

View Full Version : best ost by square-enix

Leohart
08-02-2007, 10:53 PM
ya so what are some of the best osts released by SE? My favorites would have to be FFVIII and KHII osts.

pspkilla
08-02-2007, 11:11 PM
I would have to say the OST for FFVIII is the best!

Bolivar
08-03-2007, 04:47 AM
I guess I'm going to have to third FFVIII. Out of the game's I've played I think it's the best and that also it's uematsu at his finest. "the man with the machine gun".... i mean DAMN

Eiko Guy
08-04-2007, 12:04 AM
Final Fantasy IX. Mainly for Esto Gaza and kuja's theme.

Comet
08-04-2007, 02:14 AM
Final Fantasy VIII, of course. I literally liked every single song.

Vermachtnis
08-04-2007, 02:29 AM
All of Square-Enix, even Tri-Ace? Cause I'm saying Radiata Stories. If not, FFviii did have very good music.

Slothy
08-04-2007, 04:10 AM
FFVIII? What? It had some highlights but am I the only one who thinks it's sub-par Nobuo at best? Much of it is far too bland for my taste. Heck, some of the songs were teetering on the brink of sounding like elevator music.

FFVI will always be my favourite with FFVII, IX, and Chrono Trigger coming in close behind (I can't decide which I would put in second place). So of the non-FF OST's Chrono Trigger is my favourite, followed by Parasite Eve.

Markus. D
08-04-2007, 04:19 AM
Valkyrie Profile I and II~

Wolf Kanno
08-04-2007, 06:07 AM
VIII has a good sound track but V, VI and VII have soundtracks you hum along with...

For non-FF soundtracks, I would say all of Mitsuda's works in the forms of Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, and Xenogears (I LOVE Distant Promise:love: ) I also enjoy the Seiken Denetsu soundtracks. The opening to Secret of Mana is breathtaking.

Zeromus_X
08-04-2007, 06:11 AM
Since you've said any Square-Enix game...I'll take that to include tri-Ace games as well. Anything by Sakuraba is grand, and Iwadare did a wondrous job on Radiata Stories as well.

But really, there are just too many great soundtracks. I couldn't pick a definitely best one.

Ramza Beoulve
08-04-2007, 09:56 AM
I'll go with Legend of Mana OST on this one.

Nifleheim7
08-04-2007, 10:04 PM
For non-FF soundtracks, I would say all of Mitsuda's works in the forms of Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross.

From FF i like VII,DoC,and X the most.

black orb
08-08-2007, 09:54 PM
>>> FFX.

feioncastor
08-28-2007, 08:11 AM
The correct answer is Final Fantasy VI.

I read an interview (a rather old interview) with Mr. Uematsu himself where he first offered a disclaimer that his songs were like children, and that he could never choose any of them above any other. But after saying this, he said he was most pleased with his work on FF6, which makes sense because FF6 has Dancing Mad, Forever Rachel, the WoR World Map song, the Atma Weapon song, and the Opera House stuff.

And did anyone notice that when you board Setzer's ship and go below deck, the very beginning of the song sounds like the "MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW" from the Meow Mix commercials?

But Nobuo was right. Every single song he has composed for a game has been amazing, and always perfect for the mood. Like the song from WoR Jidoor in FF6. I heard that originally wrote that for an earlier entry in the series, but couldn't find a place for it until FF6. Which is good because it perfectly compliments Jidoor and Owzer's Basement.

Bolivar
08-28-2007, 07:38 PM
Like the song from WoR Jidoor in FF6. I heard that originally wrote that for an earlier entry in the series, but couldn't find a place for it until FF6. Which is good because it perfectly compliments Jidoor and Owzer's Basement.

I beat VI last week after playing it for a few weeks, and that song crept into my head and would not get out.

One of my first impressions replaying VI was how every song, one after another, has so much going on in it, I can see why it's his most proud work.

How old is the interview though? I remember him saying that the Zanarkand song was his favorite.

Sefie1999AD
08-29-2007, 04:37 PM
Final Fantasy VI's soundtrack is good, but I think the soundtrack for Final Fantasy IX surpasses every other FF soundtrack, including VI's. It's also my favorite SE soundtrack. Out of the non-FF soundtracks, my favorite soundtrack is probably one of the KH soundtracks (I still haven't decided whether I prefer KH1 or KH2 OST) or the soundtrack for Chrono Trigger.

Jessweeee♪
09-20-2007, 01:57 AM
My favorites were FFX and Threads of Fate n.n

...didn't the ToF OST get a re-release recently?

09-20-2007, 07:20 AM
I typically don't care for video game music and would rather play with the sound off and a CD on. With that being said, I'll nominate a soundtrack that most probably wouldn't think of. Final Fantasy IV. The music in that game really stood out to me, and I have fond memories of playing the game when I was somewhere between 8 and 10, just parking my guys in Fabul or Mysdia and listening to the song loop over and over, and not advancing the text when Golbez's theme is playing or when the calcabrena are dancing so I can just keep listening.

I'm also very fond of some of VI's stuff. I recently downloaded the soundtracks to both IV and VI, and was pretty disappointed to learn that while VI has "real" songs, the music of IV is only two minutes on a loop. Man, if I could hear a "real" song version of Golbez Clad in the Dark...

Vivisteiner
09-20-2007, 06:56 PM
Final Fantasy IX

And I really love Nobuo Uematsu's music.

Heath
10-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Overall, I'd say FFIX. Some of the songs like Esto Gaza, Heart of Melting Magic, Grieve for the Skies and Unfathomed Reminiscence are absolutely beautiful. I think IX is the most consistent of all the soundtracks are pretty much all the songs are quality. VIII in particular has some excellent highlights such as The Oath, The Salt Flats, etc but it's also let down by the likes of Blue Fields.

The FFXII's OST quickly became a favourite too, but I'm never sure how to rank it. I'm rather set in my ways about the first ten and am clueless where I'd put XII. I love the very atmospheric and unique sounds, instruments and tempos that set each area apart as much as the graphics did. The Sochen Cave Palace, Salikawood and The Forgotten Capital are all beautiful. I felt more immersed in FFXII than any other game and it was the music that was a huge contributing factor to that.

Dragonsoul
10-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Final Fantasy VI! It was developed and released by Square in 1994 and the soundtrack was composed by Nobuo Uematsu. I don't think anything else comes close to this for my opinion. I'm really excited about that game! :)

Takara
10-11-2007, 02:42 AM
I can't choose a favourite. I have a few favourites.

For Final Fantasy, my favourites are the OSTs of FFIII, FFIV (yes, I know I'm biased), FFVI, FFIX, FFXII, and FFT.

As for other SE games that I remember, I adored Legend of Mana's OST, as well as Chrono Trigger's and Chrono Cross'.

Avarice-ness
10-17-2007, 04:37 PM
For all those saying FFIX, I do agree to an extent. As anyone would expect FFVI's soundtrack is my favorite, but FFIX is my second favorite.

There are a few "dull" songs in FFIX, and when I say dull it reminds me of songs you would hear in the background of a slow going MMO. Granted it's still music, but with like FFVI's soundtrack every song is composed to where an orchestra could sit down (with a chorus maybe) and be able to play it infront of an audience with no background knowledge of the music and asume it was created from the mind of some obscenely great composer, which uematsu is.

imo, the most "dull" song in FFVI, is "Mines of Narshe" but as on the grand Finale Cd, when you put vocal's to that, as it was meant to be, it's actually one of the best songs. xD

No hate on FFIX's soundtrack though it's wonderful, there are just some songs that don't grab me. :D

Vivisteiner
10-17-2007, 05:15 PM
^Its true. Actually, I wish the music had been employed slightly better in FFIX. There were enough good tracks there, but still Square used some more boring ones in large areas. Some quality songs I didnt even notice first time round.

Solely as an OST, I think FFIX is best.

Kenshin IV
10-19-2007, 06:37 AM
The correct answer is Final Fantasy VI.

It's one of many correct answers. And Uematsu has stated that Nine is actually his favorite score (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_fantasy_ix#Audio) out of the Final Fantasy games.

Vivisteiner
10-19-2007, 03:35 PM
^Repeatedly in fact. And his favourite game as well.

Sakaguchi also said that IX is his favourite game.

Markus. D
10-20-2007, 03:47 AM
Valkyrie Profile 2's OST.

Mr bestest composer in the world did a real great job with this one :]