PDA

View Full Version : motherboard or hard drive?

ffxatticus
08-03-2007, 04:26 AM
I have a couple problems with my pc. The first is that the computer freezes during bios loading. After repetetive re-starts it finally loads. I believe this has to do with the motherboard, but will someone correct me if I'm wrong?
The second is that the computer will randomly freeze and everything will stop working. It mostly happens a few minutes after I start up my computer. It happens a lot also. I was wondering whether this may be my motherboard or hard drive?
Thanks
-Mike

o_O
08-03-2007, 05:13 AM
When it locks up during boot, do you hear any beep sequences? If you do, it means that it's not getting through POST (power on self test), and that some piece of hardware is failing - quite likely to be your RAM.

It could be that your CPU or GPU is overheating when the computer freezes after being on for a while. Try downloading <a href="http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=311">Motherboard Monitor</a> and recording the temperatures when it crashes.

I think it's most likely to be your RAM or hard drive causing the problem, and as such I would immediately back up any data from your hard drive that you consider valuable. Then try downloading and booting <a href="http://www.memtest86.com/">memtest86</a>. That will tell you if it's a memory problem. Then, download <a href="http://www.hddlife.com/eng/download-freeware.html">HDDLife</a> and use that to give a rough idea of whether or not it's a drive problem. Take what it says with a grain of salt though, because it's not always right.

Baloki
08-03-2007, 12:25 PM
Another possible problem is your motherboard isn't seated correctly in the computer and is touching the case, this'll make it restart alot *found that out the hard way :(*

Storm San
08-03-2007, 03:04 PM
Did you attempt to fix or upgrade the PC by yourself by any means before that problem ocurred?

ffxatticus
08-03-2007, 04:07 PM
When it locks up during boot, do you hear any beep sequences? If you do, it means that it's not getting through POST (power on self test), and that some piece of hardware is failing - quite likely to be your RAM.

It could be that your CPU or GPU is overheating when the computer freezes after being on for a while. Try downloading <a href="http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=311">Motherboard Monitor</a> and recording the temperatures when it crashes.

I think it's most likely to be your RAM or hard drive causing the problem, and as such I would immediately back up any data from your hard drive that you consider valuable. Then try downloading and booting <a href="http://www.memtest86.com/">memtest86</a>. That will tell you if it's a memory problem. Then, download <a href="http://www.hddlife.com/eng/download-freeware.html">HDDLife</a> and use that to give a rough idea of whether or not it's a drive problem. Take what it says with a grain of salt though, because it's not always right.

I don't think it's my RAM, because I replaced my RAM the other day. And it's not overheating because it happens more often right when the computer starts. I think I'm going to try backing up my HD and testing it though. Thanks for the advice.

Another possible problem is your motherboard isn't seated correctly in the computer and is touching the case, this'll make it restart alot *found that out the hard way :(*

This could be it, I'll take look. I remember doing a lot of chop work on the case and motherboard cuz it didn't fit when I built it.

Did you attempt to fix or upgrade the PC by yourself by any means before that problem ocurred?

Well, I built the computer and it's been happening since then pretty much.

Storm San
08-03-2007, 05:05 PM
I will tell you the truth,I tried that with my old PC ,and I had crashing problems.Building a PC is something anyone can attempt,but the slightest of problems can lead to serious problems like crashing from undue CPU overheating.If you take the problem to a professional PC technician he should tell you that what you need is a new PC.The best you can do is back up any crucial files,gather money,buy a new PC and do not ever try to manipulate it by any means,only a technician can do that.
The situation you're in,is incurable.

Baloki
08-03-2007, 05:12 PM
I will tell you the truth,I tried that with my old PC ,and I had crashing problems.Building a PC is something anyone can attempt,but the slightest of problems can lead to serious problems like crashing from undue CPU overheating.If you take the problem to a professional PC technician he should tell you that what you need is a new PC.The best you can do is back up any crucial files,gather money,buy a new PC and do not ever try to manipulate it by any means,only a technician can do that.

You what? Incurable? It probably just needs some washers between the board and case. Also the CPU won't overheat if you have a fan on it and their actually alot tougher then you'd think, I used to have a celeron that had been half fried after it got hit by lightning and I still got 80% of it's processing power out of it.

snakebite
08-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Try what o_O said first, if that doesn't work check that all the cables are in fully. I don't really think that situations are incurable, all you really need to do is replace parts, rather than a whole PC.

ffxatticus
08-04-2007, 01:35 AM

Well, I built the computer in comp tech class. It was half a school computer and half my friends computer. It's a piece of junk (400 mhz cpu...hahaha), but it worked. But I think I just need to replace the motherboard and cpu.

You what? Incurable? It probably just needs some washers between the board and case. Also the CPU won't overheat if you have a fan on it and their actually alot tougher then you'd think, I used to have a celeron that had been half fried after it got hit by lightning and I still got 80% of it's processing power out of it.

Already put washers in when I put the board in, I think the motherboards just too old and pretty shot.

Try what o_O said first, if that doesn't work check that all the cables are in fully. I don't really think that situations are incurable, all you really need to do is replace parts, rather than a whole PC.

I did what o_0 said. THe monitoring program didn't support my board, cuz my boards so old. The HDD check said that the HD I run all my programs off is fine. I haven't tried the memory test, but the memory I just put it. I'm just gonna have to buy a couple new parts or salvage some from another pc.

Odaisé Gaelach
08-04-2007, 01:47 AM
Well, I built the computer in comp tech class. It was half a school computer and half my friends computer. It's a piece of junk (400 mhz cpu...hahaha), but it worked. But I think I just need to replace the motherboard and cpu.

You got to build computers in your comp tech class? All we learned to do was how to use Microsoft Office and Google. :eek:

If you're thinking of replacing the motherboard and CPU, why don't you save up and build your own PC from scratch? :)

ffxatticus
08-04-2007, 02:16 AM

You got to build computers in your comp tech class? All we learned to do was how to use Microsoft Office and Google. :eek:

If you're thinking of replacing the motherboard and CPU, why don't you save up and build your own PC from scratch? :)

yeah, thats all we do in compt tech class, build and fix computers. lots of work for the school. I've been taking it for a couple years.

the motherboard and cpu were the parts I got from the school. The HDD, RAM, power supply, and cd-drive(which I'll probably upgrade) are all from my friends old computer and still decent.

Mirage
08-04-2007, 03:03 AM
Motherboard Monitor is ancient. I don't think it has been updated in over a year, maybe two. It doesn't support my one year old motherboard either.

o_O
08-04-2007, 04:40 AM
If it's your RAM, then it's probably only one stick. Provided you have enough, take out one stick at a time and leave the least possible amount in while still being able to boot your operating system. Repeat until you have (hopefully) diagnosed the faulty stick RAM. If it still shuts off, it either means there is more than one faulty stick (unlikely), or most probably that it's not your RAM. If you do find it to be RAM, get rid of it immediately, because faulty RAM can kill your motherboard.

Discord
08-05-2007, 02:40 PM

Is it wrong that the thought of a celeron getting struck by lightning makes me grin?:tongue: