PDA

View Full Version : STFU & GTFO, FAMILY GUY IS TEH KEWL!!!!!!

Dynast-Kid
08-06-2007, 03:54 PM
I know alot of people (myself included) are fans of Family Guy, but doesn't this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn30bPUiCgY)make you think?...

jrgen
08-06-2007, 04:13 PM
Even though I occasionally quite enjoy Family Guy episodes, laughing at some of the jokes, etc., this guy is right about pretty much everything that he says. Particularly when it comes to the references that really have no jokes, or even attempts at jokes attached to them. I've always found those to be the main flaw of the series, along with the completely irrelevant and unrelated "Just like that time when I..."s.

xXsarahXx
08-06-2007, 04:17 PM
i love family guy sooo much!
Had a bit of a marathon a little while back, me and my fiance bought every box set and sat and watched them all in the shortest space possible! took us a week i think!

I think its genious! stewie is the greatest baby of all time!

Flying Mullet
08-06-2007, 04:19 PM
It's alright. I think it was funnier when it first started airing around 8 years ago. I also agree with the guy in the youtube video that the "drag on one joke/gag for two minutes" is annoying and dumb.

Polaris
08-06-2007, 04:19 PM
Family Guy has cute characters that's what make it so good! Specially Stewie and Brian! :D I bet everyone would love to have a baby like him! :bigsmile:Sometimes it's not that funny but still is enjoyable to watch!

Rengori
08-06-2007, 04:20 PM
I stopped watching Family Guy after Cartoon Wars like a year ago, that was enough to make me stop, this guy just gives me more reasons to not watch.

Baloki
08-06-2007, 04:29 PM
Lets all try and read something deeper into a CARTOON shall we?

Flying Mullet
08-06-2007, 04:35 PM
We shall. :p

Tavrobel
08-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Brian is your god and that is what matters.

Madame Adequate
08-06-2007, 04:36 PM
I find it to be amusing.

Job done, show good.

Baloki
08-06-2007, 04:48 PM
We shall. :p

You'll be watching anime next :p

Captain Maxx Power
08-06-2007, 04:53 PM
It's all about personal preference. I like Family Guy, but I felt that the second half of the last season was devoid of any real humerous scenes and really showcased the declining quality of the production in general. I will however say that I'm not one to throw my lot in with "popular" shows. Programs such as Friends and Everybody Loves Raymond in particular are both programs that I find abhorently unfunny.

Shoeberto
08-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Once I realized that Family Guy is primarily "It's just like that time when... " manatee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Family_Guy#Family_Guy_vs._South_Park) jokes is about when I stopped being as big of a fan of the show.

I still like some of the gags, because some of them are really good. But I definitely don't find myself enjoying it nearly as much as something like Futurama.

daggertrepe
08-06-2007, 06:06 PM
Family Guy RULES. Period.

jrgen
08-06-2007, 06:19 PM
Okay, now I'm convinced.

Hambone
08-06-2007, 06:27 PM
I think the guy does make a valid point, even though I am a HUGE FG fan. I watched some of the jokes again on youtube and didn't laugh as much. :(

LunarWeaver
08-06-2007, 06:32 PM
I still laugh at it a ton. I love South Park too, although I never really compare them and the love is totally separate. I have enough for both. And I think their use of non sequitur jokes is funny and sets them apart from everything else. :O

The writing is still sharp in that lowbrow-yet-witty way to me. Writing a script that has a self-contained plot and jokes at a rat-tat-tat speed is probably the hardest thing in the world. I couldn't do it, that's for sure.

Miriel
08-06-2007, 08:24 PM
I can't remember ever laughing while watching Family Guy. It's a very unfunny show.

I do however, laugh lots when South Park makes fun of Family Guy. :D

I Took the Red Pill
08-06-2007, 08:29 PM
I still like it and watch it when I see it on, but South Park was pretty damn accurate in pointing out its faults.

Shiny
08-06-2007, 08:32 PM
I like the old Family Guy better, but I still think it's decent. What I liked about it in the first place is everything that guy hated in the video. The random, irrelevant humor is amusing to me. Anywayz, I think it's worst making a video complaining about all the things you hate about the show instead of just not watching it.

Cookie
08-06-2007, 08:39 PM
It's something I enjoy watching with my dad. Family Guy is good in my book. :p

escobert
08-06-2007, 08:40 PM
futurama > all

Rengori
08-06-2007, 08:41 PM
futurama > all

Qwuft.

scrumpleberry
08-06-2007, 08:47 PM
I like it. It's much better than the simpsons.

Fonzie
08-06-2007, 09:09 PM
futurama > all

Aye.

jrgen
08-06-2007, 09:15 PM
I like it. It's much better than the simpsons.
Are you still talking about Family Guy?

And yes, Futurama clearly wins.

daggertrepe
08-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Okay, now I'm convinced.

Even if it does play off of other things done from the past, they make it more of their own and funnier.

Rocket Edge
08-07-2007, 12:21 AM
Family Guy = Essential college viewing.

It does by the way.

Raistlin
08-07-2007, 01:06 AM
Family Guy is the most overrated show on TV. It's just not funny most of the time. The humor is slapstick and the jokes dragged-out and often completely random nonsense. It used to be hard for me to put words on just why Family Guy is not very good, but South Park mocked it perfectly in their Mohammed episodes. The show could literally be written by manatees.

South Park > Futurama >>>> Family Guy

Rostum
08-07-2007, 01:12 AM
Love family guy. :love:

Ding fries are done, ding fries are done, ding fries are done, ding fries are done.
I gotta run, I gotta run, I gotta run, I gotta run.
Ding fries are done, ding fries are done, ding fries are done, ding fries are done.

Araciel
08-07-2007, 01:47 AM
i like family guy.

scrumpleberry
08-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I do prefer it to the Simpsons. I find it much funnier.

Cz
08-07-2007, 09:45 PM
I think Family Guy's great. Sure, the "keep the same gag running for half a minute" jokes can be a pain, but even great comedy shows have their share of misses. The show has its faults, most of which have already been pointed out in this thread, but all I ask of a comedy is that it make me laugh, and Family Guy does that.

Madame Adequate
08-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Family Guy is the most overrated show on TV. It's just not funny most of the time. The humor is slapstick and the jokes dragged-out and often completely random nonsense. It used to be hard for me to put words on just why Family Guy is not very good, but South Park mocked it perfectly in their Mohammed episodes. The show could literally be written by manatees.

South Park > Futurama >>>> Family Guy

Rating South Park higher than Futurama invalidates not just your opinion, but you.

Tavrobel
08-07-2007, 10:17 PM
Rating South Park higher than Futurama invalidates not just your opinion, but you.

This statement is true on so many levels.

Raistlin
08-07-2007, 11:37 PM

Such an opinion is demonstrative of the highest ignorance of South Park. The last few seasons (and many before that) are all pure awesome and just continue to get better. How many shows can say that?

Momiji
08-08-2007, 05:37 AM
I'm guilty of owning all seasons of the show. I love it, but I can see where people are coming from when they say it sucks. I'm afraid the new fad seems to be saying Family Guy sucks just because someone else says so though, but the guy on YouTube has very valid points.

These days, it's just a way to kill time when I've got nothing to do.

XxSephirothxX
08-08-2007, 08:26 AM
I was pretty amazed how many people saw the South Park Cartoon Wars episode and were like "Oh my god, Family Guy is the same formulaic :skull::skull::skull::skull: over and over again!" How could you not be able to see that after like, five episodes? It seemed pretty fucking obvious to me. I didn't even watch that video, so maybe I'm just repeating what he said. :p

It's not that it's an awful show, it's just not nearly as creative, original, or hilarious as a lot of other comedies on TV. I do love Brian, and the show can be mildly entertaining, but there's so much out there that's smarter and funnier.

Slightly off-topic, Futurama is a great show, but South Park is both more outrageously hilarious and a far more valid and piercing social satire. Agreeing with Raistlin can be a painful thing, but Futurama is always going to have its fans who remember the lovable characters and goofy sitcom situations; South Park pushes (or has pushed) the envelope in so many ways that it's going to be an important part of tv culture for a long time.

Kirobaito
08-08-2007, 09:28 AM
Like Jebus Shiny said, most of the things the guy said in the video is why I find Family Guy so funny. So there's a lack of character development? It's a freaking CARTOON. The non sequitur is what I find so funny.

Also agreeing with Poetically Pathetic, it seems it's just a fad now to say that Family Guy sucks.

It has a humor that appeals to some people and doesn't appeal to others. Just like South Park. I happen to like both shows, but in very different ways. I found "Cartoon Wars" hilarious. But it hasn't kept me from still finding Family Guy funny.

Jebus
08-08-2007, 02:27 PM
Like Jebus said, most of the things the guy said in the video is why I find Family Guy so funny. So there's a lack of character development? It's a freaking CARTOON. The non sequitur is what I find so funny.

Also agreeing with Poetically Pathetic, it seems it's just a fad now to say that Family Guy sucks.

It has a humor that appeals to some people and doesn't appeal to others. Just like South Park. I happen to like both shows, but in very different ways. I found "Cartoon Wars" hilarious. But it hasn't kept me from still finding Family Guy funny.

*temporarily returns from exile*

I have yet to post in this thread. Or in anything for the last month.

I'm a fan of random, irrelevant humor, thus Family Guy does tend to evoke a chuckle or two from me, however, Futurama is vastly superior in every possible way.

Also: MILF, just when I thought you couldn't be any more awesome you do all that. In other words, you can have me. *gets naked*

Kirobaito
08-08-2007, 06:25 PM
Like Jebus said, most of the things the guy said in the video is why I find Family Guy so funny. So there's a lack of character development? It's a freaking CARTOON. The non sequitur is what I find so funny.

*temporarily returns from exile*

I have yet to post in this thread. Or in anything for the last month.

I'm a fan of random, irrelevant humor, thus Family Guy does tend to evoke a chuckle or two from me, however, Futurama is vastly superior in every possible way.

Also: MILF, just when I thought you couldn't be any more awesome you do all that. In other words, you can have me. *gets naked*
Haha, I saw someone with a sig similar to your old one and just assumed as much without reading the name. :p