PDA

View Full Version : Picross

JKTrix
08-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Just picked this up during my lunch break for the DS. I think the North America region was the last to get this game--it's been out in Japan for months (I've had the JP version since February) and I think it came out in Europe some time ago as well. Apparently there was a Gameboy version ages ago.

The name 'Picross' comes from 'Picture Crossword'. It's a little similar to Normal Crosswords, Sudoku and Minesweeper, but it's nowhere near as mind numbing as Sudoku.

Basically you have number patterns on the edges of the grid, telling you how many grid squares in that row or column are filled in. While you're filling in the grid, you're also drawing a picture. Pretty simple rules but it does get pretty challenging, especially when you get to larger grids.

Wikipedia has an animated example of a similar setup. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Paint_by_numbers_Animation.gif)

Anyway, Picross seems to be cheaper than most other DS games. It would probably be $20 in the US. It has an online mode where you can:
-solve puzzles in a race against other people
-download puzzles made by other people
-send your own puzzles to other people
-download puzzles from Nintendo, from older Picross games
It also sports a 'Daily Play' mode, where you play a different puzzle for each day. It's something that seems to be popping up in more DS games since Brain Age and I like it a lot (other non-brain age games I have that do this: Planet Puzzle League and Taiko Drum Master).

As a game, I do prefer Planet Puzzle Leauge (The Best Puzzle Game Ever) which is more action oriented. Picross is a different kind of puzzle game, something you can relax with while playing (unlike Sudoku, which gets me frustrated). I probably wouldn't be able to play Planet Puzzle League when I'm in a sluggish mood, but Picross is pretty easygoing and perfect for those lazy times. It comes packed with a ton of puzzles, and you can create your own or download more from the Nintendo WiFi Connection. Also, it uses the DS rumble pak which is always a nifty novelty.

Like I mentioned, it should be US $20 which is pretty cheap (it's more expensive where I live). If you like puzzle games and you see it, don't skip over it as quickly as you would for a lesser game (like Polarium). This one is worth your time.

Still, if you don't have Puzzle League, I'd reccomend that first :P

Deborah
08-07-2007, 03:08 AM
I was wondering about this game..I beat Oekaki puzzle battle! So it should be fun to have new levels! :D

persephonehermione
08-08-2007, 11:11 AM
It as an amazing game, although if you want longer game play, I'd try andhunt down picross for original gameboy (assuming you have one!). I've been an avid follower of this type of game for many years, including the books that you can get from newsagents.

The DS game feels very limited, but for new gamers, it is more than likely to be challenging. Although you can reach more things using the wifi services, if you are like me (i.e. no access anyway...grrr...) you have your free and standard modes only.

Very addictive, and don't be afraid to say yes to the hints at the beginning, especially on harder levels!

Its very enjoyable, but I wish I oculd get more, maybe a sequel pleas Nintendo!

Persephone Hermione x