PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation

Hazzard
08-06-2007, 10:06 PM
I've contemplated thoughts of purchasing the game, and have reached the conclusion of doing so, but I haven't bought it yet for I'm thinking of ordering it.

Anyway, I want to know your personal thoughts and opinions on the game, name some of the appealing features and the disadvantages, but leave out spoilers. Thank you.

Hazzard out !!!

Crossblades
08-06-2007, 10:08 PM
It really is a fun game to play. Great characters and story. The game itself is just plain beautiful. Highly recommend it.

f f freak
08-06-2007, 10:15 PM
It's up there on my top three. It's incredibly good with a brilliant story, excellent characters and it's got tons of references to the older games. I think it's better than the two before it definetly.

Hazzard
08-06-2007, 10:56 PM
Better than VII and VIII? I highly doubt it, but look forward to finding out...anymore opinions?

f f freak
08-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Well it all boils down to opinion. I find it just barely above FFVII and lightyears ahead of FFVIII. Mind due I think that most FF games are light years ahead of FFVIII If it wasn't for Quistis that game would get none of the love that I give it.

leader of mortals
08-07-2007, 01:53 AM
Well it all boils down to opinion. I find it just barely above FFVII and lightyears ahead of FFVIII. Mind due I think that most FF games are light years ahead of FFVIII If it wasn't for Quistis that game would get none of the love that I give it.

I find it just below ff7, and far above ff8, and I actually liked ff8. This one, 7, and 10 are my top 3. 7, 9, then 10.

PuPu
08-07-2007, 02:11 AM
FFIX has the cheapest and hardest optional boss in the entire series. Whether you consider than an advantage or disadvantage is up to you.

Ashley Schovitz
08-07-2007, 02:18 AM
It's the best game in the series and that's enough to buy it!
You have some great music, story, character design, FMVs, and sidequests, so it deems the best.
The person in my av tells all.

Xurts
08-07-2007, 02:25 AM
It's the last good FF game; definitely get it. There are a lot of references and tributes to the older FF games, which is nice. It has the best characters in the series (better than 6 IMO), and pretty much everything about it is awesome.

PS: FF8 > All of you combined x 4854561.

f f freak
08-07-2007, 03:00 AM
It's the last good FF game; definitely get it. There are a lot of references and tributes to the older FF games, which is nice. It has the best characters in the series (better than 6 IMO), and pretty much everything about it is awesome.

I like the sarcasm in your post. You see when you put FF8 you obviously pressed the wrong number and meant 9.

Xurts
08-07-2007, 03:35 AM

I like the sarcasm in your post. You see when you put FF8 you obviously pressed the wrong number and meant 9.
Oh no, I made no mistake there. I meant to say FF8.

f f freak
08-07-2007, 04:05 AM

There's no need to try and cover up your mistake with lies. We accept that people occasionally make silly little errors like the one you did.

Xurts
08-07-2007, 05:26 AM

There's no need to try and cover up your mistake with lies. We accept that people occasionally make silly little errors like the one you did.
I'm sorry, it seems that there is no hiding my mistakes from you. What I should have said was:

FF8 > FF9 + planet earth

Hazzard
08-07-2007, 05:58 AM
I like your comments, and I will get it then, but I still doubt it will blow my mind as much as:

FF's; 7, 8, 10 and 12...

Bolivar
08-07-2007, 06:13 AM
Alright Hazz, check this out. IMO, PS started the new gen of FF, and with the other two, which you've played, I feel VII was a better overall GAME (battle mechanics, gameplay, minigames, just overall GAME) whereas VIII had the edge in story (slightly) and overall cinematic feel.

I feel that FFIX combines the best of both worlds, it's probably the best "all-around" game in the series. But I feel that in doing everything really good, the battles weren't as fun as in VII and the story wasn't as original or great as VIII. It's still a great game though and considering you've played the other games I definately recommend it. You'll like it.

Odaisé Gaelach
08-07-2007, 06:36 AM
I like your comments, and I will get it then, but I still doubt it will blow my mind as much as:

FF's; 7, 8, 10 and 12...

Good idea. Get it simply for the heck of it. Maybe you'll love it, maybe you'll despise it. At least you'll have tried it. :)

Hazzard
08-07-2007, 07:25 AM
I think I'll really like Vivi and Steiner, heard good things about them...

Washington is next
08-07-2007, 11:40 AM
12 blew your mind.... hate to think what 9 will do then. 9 is the best of the final fantasies because the story is laid out perfectly and develops greatly as you continue and the FMVs are better than any other FF

xXsarahXx
08-07-2007, 12:12 PM
im thinking about re perchasing this.
I had it back when it first came out on shameful to admit, copy. i couldnt afford proper games! (dont do it any more!) it was a brilliant brilliant game from what i can remember! authough with my copy disk 2 onwards was in black and white for some reason!! be nice to play it again in glorious technicolour!!

Vivisteiner
08-07-2007, 02:13 PM
I think I'll really like Vivi and Steiner, heard good things about them...
They are my two favourite characters ever!

This game is really amusing, but also has a serious plot. Dont rush through it and you can get a really good feel for the characters through ATEs and stuff. Its my favourite game of all time (Of the FFs Ive played - VII, VIII, IX, X and XII - they are all great but IX is best) but it may not be up your alley. Its a true fantasy game.

Oh yeah, and you can increase the battle speed if you want and the music is awesome.

Xurts
08-07-2007, 05:28 PM

FF's; 7, 8, 10 and 12...
ahaha, 9 makes 10 and 12 seem like garbage.

Oh, wait, nvm. 10 and 12 are garbage.

Hazzard
08-07-2007, 06:32 PM

FF's; 7, 8, 10 and 12...

The fact that you said that has disgusted me, my respect for you has faltered severely...:(

Xurts
08-07-2007, 07:32 PM

FF's; 7, 8, 10 and 12...

The fact that you said that has disgusted me, my respect for you has faltered severely...:(
I'm astonished by the fact that you would consider 10 and 12 to be anything less.

Hazzard
08-07-2007, 11:06 PM
You should end your rant of rudeness about those two games, you lack the good stuff to prove your point anyway...

Back on topic - I think I'm getting it next week Wednesday, I hate the long wait but will just have to build up with anticipation till then, huh?!

Vivisteiner
08-07-2007, 11:28 PM
^Dont raise your hopes too high. It makes any disappointments seem bigger.

*Thinks of FFVII and sighs*

...I thought it was supposed to be the best.

Hazzard
08-07-2007, 11:35 PM
^Dont raise your hopes too high. It makes any disappointments seem bigger.

*Thinks of FFVII and sighs*

...I thought it was supposed to be the best.

It's one of the best, lets not be critical. :)

I'll refrain from getting my hopes up then, cause I might end up not even getting it from my father, oh well, I'm still ecstatic.

Xurts
08-08-2007, 02:38 AM
You should end your rant of rudeness about those two games, you lack the good stuff to prove your point anyway...

Back on topic - I think I'm getting it next week Wednesday, I hate the long wait but will just have to build up with anticipation till then, huh?!
The only thing I lack is a positive opinion of garbage and the people that like it.

Odaisé Gaelach
08-08-2007, 04:20 AM

The only thing I lack is a positive opinion of garbage and the people that like it.

Everyone... relax. :)

Hazzard, let us know what you think of it when/if you get it.

Hazzard
08-14-2007, 09:20 PM
Well, I've ordered it and it should be arriving any day now. Will post from start to finish, either it be queries or tips, hints on stuff...

Rengori
08-15-2007, 02:09 AM
Just a heads up: You're not going to get into any unstaged battles for like 30 minutes (that's skipping all the optional stuff). But there's some fun stuff to do before then.

Also, you can steal a good weapon for Zidane from the guy in the dragon mask in the very first battle, and because you're not going to be able to get it again for a few hours into the game steal it then (don't kill him before getting it!)

Last thing, don't sell all your old equipment, you'll find out why when you get to Lindblum.

Xurts
08-15-2007, 02:18 AM
Also buy many Wrists and Steepled Hats. You'll thank me later.

PuPu
08-15-2007, 03:34 AM
Make sure you get a Mythril Sword during disc one. Otherwise, you can never get again. And believe me, it's very important that you get one.

Goldenboko
08-15-2007, 04:18 AM
Make sure you get a Mythril Sword during disk one. Otherwise, you can never get again. And believe me, it's very important that you get one.

PuPu remembering the important things with his brilliance as usual.

Hazzard
08-15-2007, 10:25 AM
Mythrill Sword, ehh? Usually that's one of the worst weapons in an FF, but I'll make sure I find/purchase one.

Karellen
08-15-2007, 11:46 AM
It's not a great weapon in and of itself, but it's the only way in the game for Steiner to learn Armour Break. It's also used in synthesizing Grand Armour.

The last boss on the first disk hold one as a rare steal item, but otherwise you can buy them from Treno or Esto Gaza.

Hazzard
08-15-2007, 02:10 PM
It's not a great weapon in and of itself, but it's the only way in the game for Steiner to learn Armour Break. It's also used in synthesizing Grand Armour.

The last boss on the first disk hold one as a rare steal item, but otherwise you can buy them from Treno or Esto Gaza.

It's weird when you don't know a single thing someone is saying about a game! :p

I know Armor Break from X, but Grand Armor sounds nice, thanks for the advice, and yeah, I'll be doing periodic updates on this thread to show my development and so on.

Karellen
08-15-2007, 02:29 PM
I didn't want to go into specifics as to not spoil anything. Suffice to say, Treno and Esto Gaza are locations you'll be visiting later in the game, Armour Break operates in pretty much the same way it does in FFX and Grand Armour is just a kick-ass suit of armor for Steiner.

PuPu
08-15-2007, 02:30 PM
I wouldn't recommend stealing it from that boss, seeing as how you have to watch your HP because it can be a difficult battle; it also ends after a certain amount of time. And also, Esto Gaza is not supposed to be accessible by Disc 1, seeing as how the story doesn't progress over there until Disc 3. But you can access it if you collect certain treasures from the mini-game of Chocobo Hot&Cold and increase the abilities of Choco, which you will find out about later.

And yes, if you have Mythril Sword, you can synthesize Grand Armor, which is the best armor for Steiner and Freya (not counting the Tin Armor; trust me, it's totally not worth getting at all). And also, you can get Grand Armor as a rare steal from a certain boss in Disc 4 (This was what I had to do to get it xD).

Disc 4 in FFIX is also very similar to Disc 4 in FFVII. There are many places which cannot be accessed anymore due to certain events.

And just to let you know, there are many miss-able items in FFIX.
Check this guide out if you want to know what they are:

GameFAQs: Final Fantasy IX (PS) Miss-able Items FAQ by Rebirth Flame (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/file/197338/21725)

Hazzard
08-15-2007, 02:33 PM
Thanks PuPu, but looking at the guide before I even play it will be a massive spoiler itself, I'll visit it once I start to play the game, ya know?

demondude
08-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Despite looks quina is an amazing character recruit him as soon as possible because he is an amazing blue mage.

The best party is

Zidane
Garnet/dagger
Quina
Steiner

I destroyed the game with these. ;)

Hazzard
08-15-2007, 02:37 PM
I'm swear there's a guy called Amarat, is he poor in gameplay or something?

PuPu
08-15-2007, 02:37 PM
It's not actually a complete walkthrough of FFIX; it just lists the items that can be missed throughout the game and how to get them. The only spoilers are names of locations, if you consider them to be spoilers.

As for the characters, you will know how good they are once you meet them. I can't really recommend any ones that are really good for you, since I don't know your style of playing. Though I will recommend Vivi though, since Black Magic is actually very useful in FFIX. Unless you don't like Black Magic or something.

Despite looks quina is an amazing character recruit him as soon as possible because he is an amazing blue mage.

The best party is

Zidane
Garnet/dagger
Quina
Steiner

I destroyed the game with these.
You can "destroy the game" with any character(s) you know...

Karellen
08-15-2007, 02:40 PM
I wasn't suggesting that he try to get it by disk one (I didn't know you could, other then stealing it from said boss). But yeah, you're better off just buying it then trying to steal it. It's not that long before you reach Treno after disk one anyway.

EDIT: Wow, my reaction time sucks.

PuPu
08-15-2007, 02:47 PM
Yeah, so buying a Mythril Sword in Treno is the best option here. Buying two would be even better.

Hazzard
08-15-2007, 02:49 PM
I'm guessing this weapon will be unbelievably pricey...?

PuPu
08-15-2007, 02:54 PM
If you consider 1300 Gil to be pricey, then yes.

Goldenboko
08-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Well... if all things go wrong you could always steal the armor but that will drive you mentally insane. :p

Vivisteiner
08-15-2007, 03:05 PM
In this game, no character is weak. Amarant can be very useful, especially in boss battles.

BG-57
08-15-2007, 03:19 PM
FFIX feels like a return to the earlier FF's, especially IV. It abandons much of the futuristic settings and weapons that appeared in FFVI-FFVIII and returns to a more medieval setting. The character classes are rigidly defined with little overlap. Personally I like flexible job systems, but it works fine enough.

The battle system is good, with a four party members fighting at a time to give you lots of options. The music is high quality but I didn't find it as memorable as FFVII or FFVIII. I liked the main characters, especially Steiner. His evolution as a character was touching to me.

I absolutely love the last airship the party gets.

I found a good strategy is to buy new items in any shop you run across, equip them and teach your party new abilities, then go to the next place and repeat. You can then synthesize your older items without worry.

Also it's very easy to miss rare items and Blue Magic in the first playthrough.

And don't waste your money on the official strategy guide. It's basically a long commercial for their PlayOnline site.

PuPu
08-15-2007, 04:10 PM
And don't waste your money on the official strategy guide. It's basically a long commercial for their PlayOnline site.
Yeah, it's definitely the most useless guide ever. I heard it was designed that way to prevent spoilers, but the problem was that it hardly gave out any helpful tips and information. Not to mention that I think PlayOnline is now all completely about FFXI and has nothing left about FFIX. :rolleyes2

Goldenboko
08-15-2007, 04:16 PM
Yeah, it's definitely the most useless guide ever. I heard it was designed that way to prevent spoilers, but the problem was that it hardly gave out any helpful tips and information. Not to mention that I think PlayOnline is now all completely about FFXI and has nothing left about FFIX. :rolleyes2

And it says defeating Ozma should be that tough ;p

daggertrepe
08-15-2007, 04:41 PM
FFIX rocks. You won't know until you play.

Hazzard
08-15-2007, 05:28 PM
Damn, I want to play it so badly, but I'll just have to keep my composure and be patient I guess...

Rengori
08-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Don't get your hopes up too high, or else the game won't completely blow your mind.

Hazzard
08-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Oh, come on, man. I can't even wait in anticipation for the game?!

So what I should do is block it out of my mind, and not even focus or pay any attention to it, until I get it. Alright, thanks Rengori! lol

Vivisteiner
08-16-2007, 02:36 PM
^Actually, FFIX is really really crap.

I hope that got your hopes down again ;)

Xurts
08-16-2007, 05:06 PM
The only game where having high expectations doesn't work is FF12. FF9 will either meet or surpass them.

Hazzard
08-16-2007, 06:08 PM
I got it today, and it's good, not mind blowing so far, but a really interesting intro, I like the way they gave diversity to controlling other characters at the start. Plenty of humor implemented, also I noticed references from FF3, Dante and FF7, Tifa. I like the battle system, and I only got to the forest after the Bomb attacks the airship, all data removed due to not having a Playstation 1 memory card, though!

Vivisteiner
08-16-2007, 06:16 PM
Ahhhhhh, that is annoying.

You'll find another reference soon in the ATE 'Orchestra in the Forest'

Hazzard
08-16-2007, 06:45 PM
I bet they'll make me fight some Ochu

demondude
08-16-2007, 07:27 PM
You need a memory card to enjoy it but If you've ordered one thats good.

Later on there is a reference which involves ff2 which is really cool. :)

And did you see Quina in the castle yet. :laugh:

Hazzard
08-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Oh, I missed. I'll see him again when I have my real memory card which I left at home.

Rengori
08-16-2007, 08:17 PM
The first hour or so of the game does not reflect how awesome it is when it gets going.

demondude
08-16-2007, 08:23 PM
A tip by the way

Get quina after lindblum it makes things a lot easier. ;)

You'll know what I mean when you get there :)

Vivisteiner
08-16-2007, 09:10 PM
Yeah, get Quina in the marsh before you visit Master Gizamaluke.

How I love that name.

Elpizo
08-16-2007, 09:21 PM
Oh, and much later in the game (Disc 3) when you visit a palace in a desert, take Quina with you and be sure s/he has LV5 Death. Trust me, it'll make your trip through that place soooooooooo much easier. I mean, every monster in that place can be killed with LV5 Death so... better abuse that advantage, right?

Enjoy the game, if it weren't for FF III DS, IX would still be my favourite FF ever. After I finish X, I'm gonna replay it again, I think...

Washington is next
08-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Heres a tip: use synthesis shops alot and always think about the abilities the characters are learning from armour.

Hazzard
08-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Wow, the last two Black Waltz's sure are difficult, they KO'ed my characters a couple of times, last one being the easiest, but I thought the second one was supposed to beat me, it was giving me such a big ass-whooping. I reached Lindblum then turned the game off, my verdict is that; the game is fantastic, reaches my expectations and can't wait to continue the game later.

Character levels:

Zidane - 7
Garnet/Dagger - 6
Vivi - 7
Steiner - 7 (Hilarious character, Btw, it's fun to voice him over in my head, along with the others...)

Tell me if my levels are too low, and I've got all the weapons you should have at the moment - did I have to steal anything from the B.Waltz's?

Best part so far was when Zidane felt Garnet's ass, and said "Ooh...so soft" that was realistic and great!

demondude
08-21-2007, 01:00 PM
When you get out of lindblum level up to about level 10 to make things easier.

Crossblades
08-21-2007, 04:52 PM

Amarant;)

And he's an awesome character to play with. He can throw weapons, heal with Chakra, revive allies, and make an enemy weak against some elements. And he can use his fists =)

Hazzard
08-21-2007, 07:06 PM
Hey, I just got Quina, love him already after the Master Quan scene. What level should I be before going to Gizamuluke, and where's best to level up at the moment?

Elpizo
08-21-2007, 07:35 PM
Hey, I just got Quina, love him already after the Master Quan scene. What level should I be before going to Gizamuluke, and where's best to level up at the moment?

Lv 10 or so should do. Oh, and around Linblum's Dragon Gate or so there's a monster that you can eat to learn Mighty Guard! It has a blue scorpion tail, but otherwise a bit too hard to describe. XD And in the swamp Quina can learn Frog Drop from the big frogs and aqua breath from some pink-monsters. All handy things to have before you move on to Gizamaluke. Not that you really need them, it's just that you can better eat these things now before your attacks have grown so powerful that you kill said monsters in one hit. ^^" Oh, and Goblins learn Goblin Punch, naturally. ;)

The only blue magic I really consider a must to have in the game is LV5-Death though, since it makes the trip through Desert Palace a piece of cake. And that's a good thing.

Best place to train I don't really know. Gizamaluke's grotto itself is pretty good.

Hazzard
08-21-2007, 07:55 PM
Fantastic, I'll do it now then.

demondude
08-21-2007, 08:24 PM
There is a point in the game where you have to destroy a boss with just quina and zidane. :D

Comet
08-22-2007, 03:27 AM

Heh. Andre is already asking for help about the best place to level up!

aquatius
08-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Better than VII and VIII? I highly doubt it, but look forward to finding out...anymore opinions?
BWAHAHA! It kicks their sorry asses.

Hazzard
08-22-2007, 03:18 PM
So far, it's better than VIII.

Btw, on the second disc, characters are around level 15 and just got to Cleyra.

Vivisteiner
08-22-2007, 06:50 PM
Oooooh, sandstorm.

Dont fight those stupid things with the jewels in them. Just run because I cant kill'em.

Thats a given.

PuPu
08-22-2007, 07:12 PM
Make sure you have Quina use Eat on the caterpillar like things (I think they were called Carrion Worm). They give the Blue Magic: Auto-Life.

Goldenboko
08-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Make sure you have Quina use Eat on the caterpillar like things (I think they were called Carrion Worm). They give the Blue Magic: Auto-Life.

Oh and he should also learn Angel Snack, I mean, instant use of 4 remedies. I forget what teaches it though...

Hazzard
08-22-2007, 08:51 PM
Damn, too late, I missed out on Auto-Life, can I get it another way?

Btw, I'm in the Fossil cavern - gateway to the Outer Continent. Characters are around levels 17-20, is that good or should I increase their levels?

Goldenboko
08-22-2007, 09:01 PM

Btw, I'm in the Fossil cavern - gateway to the Outer Continent. Characters are around levels 17-20, is that good or should I increase their levels?

I'm sure you'll be able to go back and eat one later. Oh, and once you get to the outer continent make sure to eat a cactaur for 1000 needles!

Hazzard
08-22-2007, 09:18 PM

I'm sure you'll be able to go back and eat one later. Oh, and once you get to the outer continent make sure to eat a cactaur for 1000 needles!

So that means the fiends will resume respawning in Cleyra trunk then? Good, I thought they were gone forever.

Character analysis:

Zidane - Amazing leader, has all the qualities needed; humor, guidance, reliability, heart, passion and all the other good stuff. I like this kid. 9.5/10

Steiner - He's actually my best character so far, the way he acts is so loyal, but yet so stubborn. He's the strongest in my party, and makes a great combination with Vivi. His theme tune is perfectly fitting for him, he's brave, strong and the best knight in this goddamn town - next to Beatrix. 9.8/10

Vivi - Cute, innocent and I emphasized with him greatly when the mages on the cargo ship were blown to pieces. I hated seeing him getting bullied around by villagers in Cleyra, and his the first real character you explore with. He's a good little magic user, and helps me out a lot. Love him. 9.2/10

Garnet/Dagger - She's alright, better than Aeris and Rinoa, definitely more useful. She's got a lot of pride, perseverance and I like the way she's starting to warm to Zidane and the group. She's stern and has no irritable qualities. I like this chick. 8.5/10

Freya - I admire her athleticism; it's fun to see her jumping with ease onto different platforms, leaving the rest of the party dazzled. She's strong minded and not a weakling at heart, even when Sir Fratley didn't remember her. I respect her a lot, and she's a decent Dragoon/Dragon Knight, so far. A valued member. 7.9/10

Quina - He good chef, no? This guy cracks me up, even in the face of danger he thinks about filling his stomach. He's got an air of mystery around him, and I felt scared when he disappeared in Cleyra, but then I found him and was very thankful. He's excellent as a Blue Mage and makes me feel safe because of his enormous figure. 8/10

Overall, Steiner is the best so far!

silentenigma
08-22-2007, 09:30 PM

Thats a given.

Vivisteiner
08-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Overall, Steiner is the best so far!
Thats a given.

Xurts
08-22-2007, 10:19 PM
No FF game is better than 8. Seriously.

I absolutely hate Vivi's personality. It's such an emo little thing that's depressed all the time and says variations of ":cry: am i gunna stop/am i a black mage :crying: :weep:" the vast majority of the time. Thankfully, Vivi makes up for it with its final spell. Vivi's final spell = greatest.

Other than Vivi I enjoyed everyone else's personality. Especially Steiner and Quina.

Rengori
08-22-2007, 10:22 PM

I must've sucked at this game, I was like level 25 or something at this point.

aquatius
08-22-2007, 10:23 PM

I absolutely hate Vivi's personality. It's such an emo little thing that's depressed all the time and says variations of ":cry: am i gunna stop :crying: :weep:" the vast majority of the time. Thankfully, Vivi makes up for it with its final spell. Vivi's final spell = greatest.

Other than Vivi I enjoyed everyone else's personality. Especially Steiner and Quina.
You make me laugh.

Vivisteiner
08-22-2007, 10:30 PM

I absolutely hate Vivi's personality. It's such an emo little thing that's depressed all the time and says variations of ":cry: am i gunna stop/am i a black mage :crying: :weep:" the vast majority of the time. .

lmfao.

So what about Squall then? If Vivi's emo then Squall is King Emo.

+Vivi doesnt cry and wouldnt you be curious to know who you are and what you are? I mean, suspecting that you are gonna die in a few years i pretty terrifying.

Xurts
08-22-2007, 10:33 PM

I absolutely hate Vivi's personality. It's such an emo little thing that's depressed all the time and says variations of ":cry: am i gunna stop :crying: :weep:" the vast majority of the time. Thankfully, Vivi makes up for it with its final spell. Vivi's final spell = greatest.

You make me laugh.
Right back at you.

@Vivisteiner: Squall had childhood problems that explained the way he was, and had good reason to be that way. Vivi on the other hand is always sad and depressed and generally annoying because of it. It's pretty fucking obvious that Vivi is a black mage, the fact that he keeps asking about it says it's (it being Vivi) either extremely stupid or in denial. We all die, but I don't moan and bitch about it 24/7. It's a fact, deal with it.

Rengori
08-22-2007, 10:49 PM
Squall had childhood problems that explained the way he was, and had good reason to be that way.

I haven't played the game in a while, but didn't none of them remember their childhoods because of GFs?

Xurts
08-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Squall had childhood problems that explained the way he was, and had good reason to be that way.

I haven't played the game in a while, but didn't none of them remember their childhoods because of GFs?
They gradually remembered them once Irvine mentioned the orphanage. Squall had only recently junctioned a GF, so he was the first to remember when Irvine mentioned it.

Hazzard
08-22-2007, 11:31 PM
No, no, no, Xurts; I believe that Vivi isn't in the slightest ever depressed and it's completely understandable how the little guy has the right to be sad, cause he gets pushed around at every village/town/city you go to, people always blaming him for what's happened because of his unkindly appearance to the Black Mages. His kind is very enigmatic and small, he was split from them at a very young age, from what I've seen, and raised in a world full of humans and the usual races. The kid's confused when he sees Black Mages, and questions if he's one of them constantly because he wants to find an official answer to his existence. Vivi thinks a lot for a young child, and is courageous, brave and has lot of confidence which others don't see, except for the party. That's why I respect and acknowledge Vivi, he isn't just useful for one spell, but a valuable friend to the party as well.

Vivisteiner
08-22-2007, 11:42 PM
@Xurts: For a start, Vivi looks very different from the other black mages. For all anyone knows, he is a more advanced version. In fact, he is an advanced version which is why he lives longer. But he is just curious to find out who created him and what his expected life span is. How can you plan your life if you dont know whether you're gonna live to 3 or 300?

And at least Vivi had a reason to be scared, because he realised that he was likely to die any day soon. And he was right, because he dies at the end of FFIX.

Personally, I dont have anything against Squall either, except for the fact that he was involved in the most fake 'love' ever. Also, he's a bit pathetic. Some people deal with their problems, but Squall couldnt. He had plenty of years to accept them, unlike Vivi. Yet Vivi, unlike Squall, faced up to his problems and confronted them. He stood up for himself and his race and that takes courage - courage that Squall didnt have.

Anyway, I leave for abroad soon, so I have little time for discussion.

Xurts
08-24-2007, 04:00 AM
No, no, no, Xurts; I believe that Vivi isn't in the slightest ever depressed and it's completely understandable how the little guy has the right to be sad, cause he gets pushed around at every village/town/city you go to, people always blaming him for what's happened because of his unkindly appearance to the Black Mages.
Wait until you progress farther in the game, he isn't too bad at first but he gets super emo at times, and he always has a depressed/moody vibe to him. At least that what it seems like to me.

Vivi gets picked on in towns sometimes because he resembles Brahne's Black Mages, so people are naturally going to be hostile towards him. Vivi's problem is that he never stands up for himself when people question him. If he would actually defend himself and speak up he would never have a problem with people. Of course, Vivi never does that because he's such a shy, depressed little thing that would never hurt anyone even if he was being attacked (Black Waltz 3 being the exception since Vivi is actually pretty awesome in that scene). See what would happen if he didn't take :skull::skull::skull::skull: from anyone?

he was split from them at a very young age, from what I've seen, and raised in a world full of humans and the usual races. The kid's confused when he sees Black Mages, and questions if he's one of them constantly because he wants to find an official answer to his existence.
I see how that would be confusing, but as soon as he sees Black Mages he should immediately realize they're the same. It can't be anymore obvious that they're the same, yet he still questions it for a long time.

@Xurts: For a start, Vivi looks very different from the other black mages. For all anyone knows, he is a more advanced version. In fact, he is an advanced version which is why he lives longer. But he is just curious to find out who created him and what his expected life span is. How can you plan your life if you dont know whether you're gonna live to 3 or 300?

And at least Vivi had a reason to be scared, because he realised that he was likely to die any day soon. And he was right, because he dies at the end of FFIX.

Personally, I dont have anything against Squall either, except for the fact that he was involved in the most fake 'love' ever. Also, he's a bit pathetic. Some people deal with their problems, but Squall couldnt. He had plenty of years to accept them, unlike Vivi. Yet Vivi, unlike Squall, faced up to his problems and confronted them. He stood up for himself and his race and that takes courage - courage that Squall didnt have.

Anyway, I leave for abroad soon, so I have little time for discussion.
Vivi isn't an advanced version, but instead a prototype. Luckily he lives longer than normal Black Mages do.

Squall being socially detached was his way of dealing with his problem. He didn't want to experience the same hurt he felt when Ellone left, so he chose not to become emotionally attached or rely on anyone. Fortunately he meets Rinoa who breaks him out of his funk.

Vivi only defends himself a couple of times throughout the entire game. The Black Waltz 3 battle being the most significant. He's more shy and afraid than he is courageous.

Courage? You think Squall didn't have courage? Squall shows courage countless times throughout the game. He confronts Edea and Seifer head-on without help, saves Rinoa several times (Garden battle, coma, space, sorceress memorial, etc.), and even enters time compression without any real certainty of what would happen. No courage? That's absurd. I do have respect for Vivi, but saying he has more courage than Squall? No.

Hazzard
08-27-2007, 08:36 PM
UPDATE - Alrighty, just got out of the lifa tree and it was amazing...the amount of EXP and AP was astounding, because I was struggling before. Eiko's a funny little bugger!

Characters are levels - 29-32 (Tell me if it's OK or not - I like to know other peoples levels)

I've got to go back to Maiden Sai, any advice before I go there?
Also, will I be able to control Steiner anytime in the remainder of Disc 2, and Freya?

demondude
08-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Don't worry you will.

Xurts
08-27-2007, 10:11 PM
UPDATE - Alrighty, just got out of the lifa tree and it was amazing...the amount of EXP and AP was astounding, because I was struggling before. Eiko's a funny little bugger!

Characters are levels - 29-32 (Tell me if it's OK or not - I like to know other peoples levels)

I've got to go back to Maiden Sai, any advice before I go there?
Also, will I be able to control Steiner anytime in the remainder of Disc 2, and Freya?
I think I was around 30 when I went back to Madain Sari. I fought Hilgigars at 25 and was lucky enough to steal the Fairy Flute.

You won't be able to control Steiner and Freya again until disc 3.

Hazzard
08-28-2007, 08:35 PM
UPDATE - I've got to go to the Black Mage Village, again, and I've just commandeered the boat, Narcissa; on disc three, and I'm planning to do some level grinding and item finding fun before I resume the story.

Character level - 35-40 (I have returned with the original party: Dagger, Zidane, Vivi and Steiner) - I've noticed that Dagger randomly will be inactive to input commands on unfortunate occasions, but I don't really care.

The usual question and a bit more: Are my levels good enough for the next boss, and where can I get a better weapon than the Coral Sword, for Steiner and a weapon for Zidane which is higher than 44 in attack?

Also, would it be possible to take on Grand Dragons at this stage, what tactics should I use, and what amount of EXP are we looking at, also care to give a rough estimate on how much HP it has?

PuPu
08-28-2007, 09:25 PM
You don't need to overlevel. Seriously, your stats are fine. But if you still want to...

Grand Dragons have roughly 13000 HP. They give 8800 XP and 3 AP. They are level 60, so they are quite powerful and their attacks can most likely kill a character in one hit. But their most devastating attack is when they decide to cast Thundaga on all characters. If you have a Coral Ring, equip it to absorb Thunder Elemental damage. You should also equip the Antibody ability, since they can also inflict Venom status on your characters. The best way to kill them is to have Quina cast Level 5 Death. This can be learned by Eating a Whale Zombie on the shore near Esto Gaza.

And I'm assuming you are planning on fighting these on the plateau above Gizamaluke's Grotto, since you don't have the Airship and most likely don't have a Gold Chocobo yet. Right?

Hazzard
08-28-2007, 09:45 PM
You don't need to overlevel. Seriously, your stats are fine. But if you still want to...

Is that so, what level is efficient enough for the upcoming boss?

And I'm assuming you are planning on fighting these on the plateau above Gizamaluke's Grotto, since you don't have the Airship and most likely don't have a Gold Chocobo yet. Right?

You are correct, and it would take me around 6-7 turns to probably defeat this dragon, cause my attacks take away around 2500 on average, but probably 2000 because it's dragon type, this would work more in Freya's department. I might just challenge them when I'm level 50, it's too difficult right now, so I'll just settle with Garudas.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
08-28-2007, 10:08 PM
Isn't Eiko a little honey?

PuPu
08-28-2007, 10:09 PM

Is that so, what level is efficient enough for the upcoming boss?

The next boss isn't going to be until a little later, so about level 38 is fine. Make sure you manage to steal the Holy Lance from it, since it is the third best lance in the game.

Hazzard
08-28-2007, 10:25 PM
The thing is, would I need the Holy Lance, cause I won't be using Freya?

Rengori
08-28-2007, 11:11 PM
If you don't use Freya ever then the answer is no, don't bother.

Washington is next
09-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Don't bother training, it makes the game too easy.

Vivisteiner
09-23-2007, 06:45 PM
@Xurts; I think we have to agree to disagree. Too busy to argue atm.

But also remember how old Vivi is. He's a child and yet he can stand up for himself. I dont remember FFVIII that well, so I cant think of any examples, but I thought Squall was a bit pathetic at times. He was affected by losing sis for way too long. Vivi's situation is worse, and he has better excuses - his age, his complete lack of knowledge. Squall has grown up but he still cant recover.

Xurts
09-24-2007, 02:56 AM
@Xurts; I think we have to agree to disagree. Too busy to argue atm.

But also remember how old Vivi is. He's a child and yet he can stand up for himself. I dont remember FFVIII that well, so I cant think of any examples, but I thought Squall was a bit pathetic at times. He was affected by losing sis for way too long. Vivi's situation is worse, and he has better excuses - his age, his complete lack of knowledge. Squall has grown up but he still cant recover.
No, Vivi can't stand up for himself. The only time he does is against Black Waltz 2, and, considering the situation, it wasn't surprising that he did. Every other time he lets people push him around.

Squall was already emotionally detached before Ellone left, and when she did it just made his detachment worse. I'll admit, it does get annoying at times, but thankfully Rinoa snaps him out of it. What he does in the game more than makes up for his attitude. Vivi, on the other hand, doesn't do much and just tags along the whole time.