PDA

View Full Version : explorer.exe problem.

I Took the Red Pill
08-07-2007, 06:09 AM
So I noticed today that all of my programs were running extra sluggishly, so I rebooted hoping that would help. Everything seems to be running at decent speed, but a new problem presents itself: when I log in, I get the wallpaper, but explorer doesn't boot up. So I tried going into the task manager and manually running explorer.exe. It comes onto the screen for a maximum of 5 seconds, and then disappears. So now I have to run all of my programs through task manager. I've tried a system restore to 2 days earlier, I've ran an AVG and Spybot scan and removed all spyware (no viruses presented themselves), and I've uninstalled programs recently installed that I thought might cause the issue. All of them unsuccesful.

So, any thoughts? Any help would be much appreciated.

Odaisé Gaelach
08-07-2007, 06:13 AM
What version of Windows?

I Took the Red Pill
08-07-2007, 06:16 AM
XP Media Center Edition.

Odaisé Gaelach
08-07-2007, 06:21 AM
Did you change any settings or add new hardware recently?

I Took the Red Pill
08-07-2007, 06:23 AM
Not that I can think of, excluding tweaking specific programs (ie uTorrent). Hardware, no.

Odaisé Gaelach
08-07-2007, 06:27 AM
1) Does this happen in Safe Mode?

2) How does Explorer behave when you use another user account?

I Took the Red Pill
08-07-2007, 07:11 AM
Well a trip to safe mode fixed it. Upon booting to safe mode, I was informed that the system restore I had previously attempted failed, so I system restored in Safe Mode to 3 days before, and it seems to have worked itself out. Still, I'm curious as to what the hell caused it in the first place. Anyways, thanks for your time OG :)

Odaisé Gaelach
08-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Well a trip to safe mode fixed it. Upon booting to safe mode, I was informed that the system restore I had previously attempted failed, so I system restored in Safe Mode to 3 days before, and it seems to have worked itself out. Still, I'm curious as to what the hell caused it in the first place. Anyways, thanks for your time OG :)

Strange... :confused:

Still, glad you got it sorted out. :D