PDA

View Full Version : Eyes on FF Steam Community

Yamaneko
08-07-2007, 06:31 AM
Some of you may recall Valve a couple months ago announcing their Steam Community platform for Steam that would make it easier to connect and play with other Steam users; join clans (groups) and see what all your friends are doing, even within games. Well today the beta was released to the public and its pretty freaking awesome.

If you haven't yet done so, open up Steam and go into Settings and under Account go to where it says, "Beta participation" and select "Steam Community" from the drop down menu. Once Steam restarts and downloads the files you'll notice a new "Community" tab at the top as well as a new Friends icon at the bottom. I won't detail how to go through every option (it's pretty self-explanatory), but if you find yourself lost the Steam forums are a good place to start.

Eyes on FF Steam Community (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/eoff)

With Steam open (it might work with it not open), click "Join this group" on the left hand side of the page. It might take a minute or more to join the group and for your profile to appear on the group's page. Have fun and look around!

It might also be a good idea to make a note here if your SteamID is different from your forums' username.

Yamaneko
08-07-2007, 06:32 AM
Yamaneko -- Nade Kommando

(any other mods feel free to add to the list)

Shoeberto
08-07-2007, 06:58 AM
Now if only I played anything on Steam anymore...

Yamaneko
08-07-2007, 07:00 AM
:(

id super pack for $63

Shoeberto
08-07-2007, 07:13 AM
Huh. For a second I thought you were just screwing with me to take advantage of my id fandom.

I have to say I'm surprised they put their games up on their rival's distribution service! Intriguing...

Now if only Steam and related products ran well in Linux...

Goldenboko
08-07-2007, 07:26 AM
Whats steam xD

KH-Cloudy
08-07-2007, 08:20 AM
Steam hosts a lot of FPS games. Famous ones like Counter-strike, counter-strike source, half-life, ricochet..etc..

W/e i'm joining in!

KH-Cloudy---SHave

Slothy
08-07-2007, 11:59 AM
Steam hosts a lot of FPS games. Famous ones like Counter-strike, counter-strike source, half-life, ricochet..etc..

W/e i'm joining in!

KH-Cloudy---SHave

Correction: Steam is an online game distribution and multiplayer hosting service. It's not just FPS's, as you can buy games from a number of companies (both large and small, Valve is obviously one, but there's also Activision, id, and some others as well).

It makes sense for id to go on their. You can look at it as putting their games on a rivals service, or you can look at it as taking advantage of a very successful and lucrative service that is well established and will get your games to more people. It's a relationship that benefits all parties involved really.

I seem to be having trouble getting it to join though, so I'll try again later as I have to go to school shortly.

EDIT: Scratch that, I managed to join now.

edczxcvbnm
08-07-2007, 03:32 PM
I will join when I get home. My user id will probably be the same as my user name here. I have not played anything steam in quite sometime. I never really got into counter strike and the like. Last thing I played was Half-Life 2 episode 1.

The Mog Ninja
08-08-2007, 02:32 AM
KingdomHeartsKing, on-screen name is SavingRyansPrivates

Bolivar
10-02-2007, 04:21 AM
I've been playing CS1.6 lately I think it's long overdue getting Half-Life2.

10-Breaker
10-07-2007, 09:36 PM
Joined too. I use nick TenKaze these days.
I'll be playin CS:S and HL2 (maybe)...

Mr Cactuar
10-14-2007, 11:46 AM
My Steam accounts name is 0mnislasher1 with a zero, but my name is currently orb | Cactuar.

Necronopticous
10-14-2007, 11:48 AM
Necronopticous.

What a surprise.

10-Breaker
10-21-2007, 11:12 PM
Heyyy... Whyy nobody online uses the chat? I'm usually pretty lonely there... T_T

Skyblade
10-22-2007, 10:12 PM

Correction: Steam is an online game distribution and multiplayer hosting service.

How exactly is it a distribution service? It doesn't distribute the games, it forces you to play them in client/server form. I've boycotted buying any new games from these people (including Portal, despite its awesome looks) due to my sheer hatred of this system. I want the things on my computer. I payed for them, it shouldn't be that difficult of a request. But, no, you have to have a connection to Steam to use any of their games.

Slothy
10-23-2007, 04:41 AM
How exactly is it a distribution service? It doesn't distribute the games, it forces you to play them in client/server form. I've boycotted buying any new games from these people (including Portal, despite its awesome looks) due to my sheer hatred of this system. I want the things on my computer. I payed for them, it shouldn't be that difficult of a request. But, no, you have to have a connection to Steam to use any of their games.

The games are installed on your computer, and you don't need a connection to play them unless they're online. You can run Steam in offline mode and still play single player games. You've been boycotting a great service and some of the greatest games ever made for nothing. And besides, even if what you said were true, you'd have been able to buy physical copies of the games you boycotted in the store.

Skyblade
10-23-2007, 02:16 PM

The games are installed on your computer, and you don't need a connection to play them unless they're online. You can run Steam in offline mode and still play single player games. You've been boycotting a great service and some of the greatest games ever made for nothing. And besides, even if what you said were true, you'd have been able to buy physical copies of the games you boycotted in the store.

Wrong. I bought the Half Life anthology in the store and have been unable to play it off line. Maybe there is a way to do it, but I haven't found it, the instruction manual doesn't cover it, and I find simple .exe files to be much more fun.

Slothy
10-23-2007, 11:03 PM
Um, no I'm not wrong. There must be something wrong with your copy or your computer, because I have played many Valve games I bought on Steam while running it in offline mode, or without an internet connection. Maybe instead of whining about how Steam is a bad service (when it's not) you contact Valve and try to get the issue worked out.

Skyblade
10-24-2007, 12:11 AM
Um, no I'm not wrong. There must be something wrong with your copy or your computer, because I have played many Valve games I bought on Steam while running it in offline mode, or without an internet connection. Maybe instead of whining about how Steam is a bad service (when it's not) you contact Valve and try to get the issue worked out.

I got it fixed. For some reason my copy was refusing to be played in offline mode, but it's all better now.

While I still have several objections to this system, it has gone to being more of a nuisance than a game ruining experience. Thanks for the help. :)

Ayreon
11-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Vivi22, educating the masses since June 2005. I play CS:CZ very rarely.

Edit: By play I mean get gunned down in.