PDA

View Full Version : Define the "FF Experience"...

Wolf Kanno
08-08-2007, 05:12 AM
I'm certain we have all had this happen. Some loser waltz into your favorite FF forum and decries the game you love. You battle with them but they just won't listen and finally you back this person into a corner and they go to the "it lacked the 'FF experience' I've come to enjoy. It just didn't feel like an FF game"

So here a question I humbly ask you fellow EoFFers... What is the "FF Experience" to you? What makes this series stand apart from others in your mind? Hell what makes certain FFs stand apart from your favorites?

Thought out answers are much appreciated:D

pspkilla
08-08-2007, 05:29 AM
The memorable characters, the beautiful music, and landscapes, the great storiy lines, the artwork! The way it can hold my attention for more than 10 minutes lol, the plot twists, and surprises, you can tell they put everything into it, not like other RPG's out there that lack alot of these elements, boring almost elevator-like music, ugly landscapes, and characters no one really cares about, if Cloud died im sure everyone would be upset, even if he is just a fictional character, but i don't think anyone would care if someone from a game like Unlimited Saga died. to be honest I can't even remember their names XD

Marshall Banana
08-08-2007, 06:23 AM
Adventure, discovery, freedom, variety, sacrifices, and crazy plot twists sum up Final Fantasy in my mind. I don't define Final Fantasy by its story depth and character development, but I guess that's just me. =O

FFV, FFVIII, and FFXII are my favorites so far, I think. FFV has its customizable Job System and animal characters that I really like (Syldra, Hiryuu, and more). It also has three different worlds to explore. FFVIII has its Junction System and unique towns that I really like. I really like everything about FFXII.

Bolivar
08-08-2007, 07:14 PM
well i would distinguish the FF Experience as the installments that came out starting with VII, whereas the games that were just "games" were the first six

BUT That's for another thread!!!

as far as what i expect, it's just a cool fantasy setting that's nowhere near as cliche as its contemporaries, cool characters, charismatic villains, a decent battle system even if it's just having different characters with different roles, interesting story, KILLER MUSIC, lots of different colors. games where i can basically zone out for an hour or few if i just wanna chill out.

Wolf Kanno
08-08-2007, 09:14 PM
well i would distinguish the FF Experience as the installments that came out starting with VII, whereas the games that were just "games" were the first six

as far as what i expect, it's just a cool fantasy setting that's nowhere near as cliche as its contemporaries, cool characters, charismatic villains, a decent battle system even if it's just having different characters with different roles, interesting story, KILLER MUSIC, lots of different colors. games where i can basically zone out for an hour or few if i just wanna chill out.

Honestly, I feel this is a perfect place to elaborate on this. It' not just about FF vs. The World it's also about how the FF titles stand against each other.;)

BG-57
08-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Chocobos. :D

Okay, not just chocobos, but there are qualities that I have come to expect in a FF, even if some do not include all of them:

1) Chocobos
2) Airships
3) Summons
4) Standard RPG character classes (mages, knights, etc...)
5) Music by Nobuo Uematsu

If the game is missing two or more then it doesn't feel like a FF to me. So to me FFXII felt like one, while FFX-2 didn't.

Hazzard
08-09-2007, 12:25 AM
When your playing the FF for countless hours a day; straining your eyes, losing track of time and being anti - social till your just plain brainwashed. I love that feeling.

The music, graphics, characters and difficulty have definitely got to be top notch. I need that emotional attachment to every character to feel some remorse if anything bad happens to them, or feel the happiness when something good occurs for them. The music is a key factor to epic moments, and battles need to be both challenging and balanced. Villains need to have detailed, and interesting backstories, and they need to be really like-able.

I want the experience to be understandable, so I know how to do most things without looking up in a walkthough. I need to experience vast amounts of gameovers to realize the faults in my tactics or gaming. I need exploration of a massive world, and most of all...I need FUN!

Comet
08-09-2007, 12:33 AM
I need Cid.

Bolivar
08-09-2007, 01:25 AM

Honestly, I feel this is a perfect place to elaborate on this. It' not just about FF vs. The World it's also about how the FF titles stand against each other.;)

You callin me out, bro!?

haha, well I feel nothing I could say could explain this sentiment any better than it is here:

Gametrailers.com - the making of FF7 - 2 of 2 by RobotBling (http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=40147)

"The previous versions of Final Fantasy could be called 'puppet shows' compared to this one."

- Hironobu Sakaguchi right before the commercials at the end.

Part I also demonstrates to some extent what I am talking about, but this one is where Sakaguchi, Uematsu and Kitase really delve in to how... dare I say... REVOLUTIONARY(!?) this game was in relation to previous FF's and RPG's.

Lawr
08-09-2007, 01:26 AM
t3h myoosic

But seriously, all I want is good music and recurring type villains like an Elementals or Espers type of thing.

08-09-2007, 01:28 AM
I'm not really a FF snob. I'm not going to say that a game isn't a true FF if it's not in a fantasy setting, or if it doesn't have moogles, or if the characters aren't developed to my liking, etc. They're all FFs because that's what it says on the package. What I've come to expect so far from the games within the package is:

Has a plot with at least one twist. All that I know of passed.
CRPG style. All that I know of passed.
The most important one of all-- fun to play. FVII and FFII failed. But that doesn't mean they aren't FFs, just that they suck.

Bolivar
08-09-2007, 01:41 AM
The most important one of all-- fun to play. FVII and FFII failed. But that doesn't mean they aren't FFs, just that they suck.

Um, no, they failed (and suck) to you. Probably more people than not would disagree with that statement about VII so to say in general that it failed is a fallacy.

People in Kanno's "unreasonably disliked" thread also say that II was a fun game (including myself) so again, remember that it's just your personal opinion.

Wolf Kanno
08-09-2007, 06:52 AM

You callin me out, bro!?

haha, well I feel nothing I could say could explain this sentiment any better than it is here:

Gametrailers.com - the making of FF7 - 2 of 2 by RobotBling (http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=40147)

"The previous versions of Final Fantasy could be called 'puppet shows' compared to this one."

Part I also demonstrates to some extent what I am talking about, but this one is where Sakaguchi, Uematsu and Kitase really delve in to how... dare I say... REVOLUTIONARY(!?) this game was in relation to previous FF's and RPG's.

Yes, I'm calling you out, and don't you dare turn this into that debate. We both reached a standstill so theres no point in arguing since neither one of us will ever give in;)

I remember that interview but honestly, I disagree with them and don't feel technology can bring a better experience. Yes, I am disagreeing with Sakeguchi-sama. :p

I'll post my own thoughts in a little bit.

08-09-2007, 08:37 AM

Um, no, they failed (and suck) to you. Probably more people than not would disagree with that statement about VII so to say in general that it failed is a fallacy.

People in Kanno's "unreasonably disliked" thread also say that II was a fun game (including myself) so again, remember that it's just your personal opinion.

Uh yeah, that was the point of the thread.

"What is the "FF Experience" to you?"

So yes, the "to me" is what I was answering. To me, those games failed miserably to provide me with fun and, therefore, suck.

Bolivar
08-09-2007, 09:15 PM

You callin me out, bro!?

Yes, I'm calling you out, and don't you dare turn this into that debate. We both reached a standstill so theres no point in arguing since neither one of us will ever give in;)

I remember that interview but honestly, I disagree with them and don't feel technology can bring a better experience. Yes, I am disagreeing with Sakeguchi-sama. :p

I'll post my own thoughts in a little bit.

I look forward to it. Also, are you sure neither of us will give in? I think you should join us, Kanno. We got better graphics over here.

Renmiri
08-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Fanboy / Fangirl Jerk answer:

FFX is the SEXXORS THE REST IS TEH SUXXORZ

Well thought out answer:
Although my first FF game will always have a special place in my heart, there are many other FF games that are just as special. The chocobos, mythical themes, summons and airships plus the music and attention to detail in each game makes FF a very special series.

Rengori
08-09-2007, 11:53 PM

FFI-IX are the SEXXORS THE REST IS TEH SUXXORZ

Fix'd.

Wolf Kanno
08-10-2007, 06:58 AM
I look forward to it. Also, are you sure neither of us will give in? I think you should join us, Kanno. We got better graphics over here.

I'm certain you will be amused.

I'm certain I'll never join you. Graphics don't make the game I'm afraid. Nor do I feel they necessarily add to a story. ;)

A children's story can be just as compelling as a literay masterpiece as long as it means something to the individual...

FFX is the SEXXORS THE REST IS TEH SUXXORZ

Don't spam up my threads with your FFX propaganda luv:p

Anyway, what the FF experience is to me...

Certainly there is the high quality in music, visuals, story telling, characters and gameplay but they are just extentions that don't truly add to the whole. FF is very innovative and daring and that's something I've always liked, even when I didn't agree I can still respect the choices made.

To me, I guess FF is an experience that one loses themselves in... Whether it's the story, the characters, the music, the journey or just trying to kill three more imps so you can have enough Exp. to learn that spell you're missing. The games represent such complex themes but they are told in a way that doesn't alienate anyone. Destiny (FFI),
War (FFII), Balance (FFIII), Redemption (FFIV), Inheritance (FFV), Hope (FFVI), Life (FFVII), Love (FFVIII), Meaning of Life (FFIX), Journey (FFX), Companionship (FFXI), and Freedom (FFXII)

The series beautifully represents every one of these themes and even in the cases of games that have severe technology limitation, they show that sometimes not saying anything and just watching, just experiencing the moment can truly show the emotion. From learning the twisted truth of fate in the ending of FFI to Cecil's journey to redeem himself from his sins, to Squall desperately struggling to save Rinoa in the vacuum of space, to Larsa's struggle to take the first step in building good relations with Dalamasca... All these moments truly reach a level that speaks to the very core of people.

Sure the series gets lost in the hype and the fan bantering of which is the best. Sometimes the expectations become unrealistic and perhaps most of look back and think the old days were better but in truth I think we are fooling ourselves cause we begin to wish that every game can reach out and speak to us like that one we all hold dear. The games are all well crafted and though I may not feel anything for some titles I still see that level of quality I expect even if it's not my personal taste;)

I think the FF experience is in representing the human element. Some RPGs and even books and movies can be considered good stories or fun but only a few can reach out and touch that personal part of us and to me, the series as a whole has been able to do this. Some more than others. The point is to get lost in the adventure, whether through it's wonderful cast, it's well crafted stories or just in exploring the magical worlds set before us. That is what FF means to me. They are a glimpse into the final great adventures of these worlds and we're invited along for the ride.:cool:

Hazzard
08-10-2007, 10:32 AM
Damn it, Kanno, your definition of FF made me shed a tear or two. I think that's most of the elements an FF game needs to give the gamer, indeed.

hhr1dluv
08-30-2008, 08:11 PM
They [Final Fantasy games] are a glimpse into the final great adventures of these worlds and we're invited along for the ride.

That statement just made me hate all FF sequels and spinoffs. And I've never disliked them before. Damn it. That line of yours really resonates with me...the whole idea that we are taking part in the FINAL adventures of these worlds is what makes the main series games so epic and wonderful. Any sequels cheapen the experience, which is something I'm pretty sure you've said before. ;)

Anyway, I also shed a few tears to your FF experience definition.

Roto13
08-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Considering how so many Final Fantasy games feel so different from each other, I don't think there is one "Final Fantasy experience."

Final Fantasy games have the words "Final Fantasy" in the title.

Vivisteiner
08-30-2008, 09:03 PM
Sakaguchi jokingly once said that all it needs is white text on blue menus.

For me, the FF experience is one with great music, interesting characters, intelligent gameplay and series mascots. It also has to change my outlook on life. But its a real hard question to answer.

arcanedude34
08-30-2008, 09:03 PM
The only series able to successfully consume up to 60+ hours of my life on eah installment (I think TA had the most, with over 100 hours... that's over 6 full days of my life wasted on some kid's fantasy world). Seriously, there's just so much to do (side quests, main quests, hidden characters, mini-games, hidden scenes, plus power-leveling to 99 [which I've only done in FFI DoS, but still])

The great storyline, characters that I can actually care about (maybe not as much as MGS characters, but still) phenominal music, and gorgeous landscapes and towns.

blackmage_nuke
08-30-2008, 11:45 PM
The music has to be there, especially the classics. X was great but i felt slightly incomplete without hearing the overture or prologue or whatever its called. I think it wouldve played great halfway through yuna's speech at luca in the ending.

Also random encounters.

It doesnt need a good story, just one that doesnt bore me.

Saber
08-31-2008, 01:56 AM
A world map is great, like in FF9 where you got all the chocobo's hidden treasure. It feels like every field is so great. I will not exclude FF10,11,12 those areas were great too. the travels are in a since something to look forward to and since in the end you usually get an airship you can travel around the world for free. Something in the real world not a lot do.

The battles, at first I would always get my @$$ kicked and it was challenging but when you learn one way of fighting in a final fantasy you learn them all.

The mascots, like moogles and chocobos, they are cool and its always good to carry on the series with references to themselves. So like not only choco/mog but when a name of a person or weapon is past down its like a memorial leagondary.

the music that will stick with you and always make you feel a certain way is a plus. Like the beats of winning a battle. I've heard that beat almost a thousand times in every final fantasy and I'm never really bored with it. Maybe I over look it or something.

Special powers is also very exciting. Everyone always say oh yeah the spells but its not really the spells. To have a weapon that can hurt an enemy and heal you is fantasy enough. Also accessories and armor that can magically take pain away, absorb damage or illnesses make the game fun as saying I'm fighting a malorbo better get on my ribbons.

I really like these games. Sure I have some problems with ff11 and ff12 but I still played the hell out of them.

scrumpleberry
08-31-2008, 12:42 PM
FF Experience is a dreadful phrase for me. Actually I feel that all the games so far with Final Fantasy in the name have elements of what you'd call the "FF experience"

I don't know, I guess it's the similar style from the creators that makes it for me. Not sure.

Rantz
08-31-2008, 01:29 PM
Partly a question of what you mean by "The FF experience", but I choose to interpret the question as what qualities I hope to see in future Final Fantasy games. Here are a few such:

Character development. This is one of the things which make me less fond of I-III than later games. I want to see as many characters as possibly be affected in one way or another by the events that unfold throughout the game. The main characters in particular, but minor characters as well.

Twists of fate. I like it when unexpected things happen and when every event is the result of tons of background story. I dislike it when the main party is decided from the start and/or "fated to be the light warriors" or whatever. I'd rather see them brought together by a series of events, since this makes them more human and easier to identify with.

Exploration. I don't want to be forced to strictly follow the storyline. I want to be able to take an in-game break and explore the world (preferably a big one), get the bigger picture, do side-quests and minigames. This ties in with wanting to feel free. The lack of a world map in X[-2] puts me off a bit.

Treasures/Secrets. I want to be properly rewarded for taking my time with the game, for deviating from the storyline and taking the time and effort to go play that minigame for a while or to check out that strange-looking wall over there.

NeoTifa
08-31-2008, 03:42 PM
decent storyline that is beleivable enough to pull you in yet fantasy enough to make you go "OOOooooOOOoooohhhh i wished we had THAT!!!!! i totally wanna cast haste on myself at work!!!!!!! $_$ payraisepayraisepayraisepayraise :hyper:"

also, good music that actually fits the storyline, timeline, events, etc.

i also the the virsitality that ff offers. you can totally customise your characters to do whatever you want (fft perfect example. im a total fangirl for fft). the custom magic, equipment, materia/junction combos, sphere grids, etc.

also, the side quests make the game series more fun cuz they add more excitement and such. i dont like it when the sidequests distract from the game itself, like 12, but to where they mostly help you get stuff to help with the battles, like breeding chocobos in 7.

character development is also key. its sad when the main char has the same mindset at the end as s/he did at the beginning. it has to be like a soap opera!!!! life changing events!!!!

Wolf Kanno
08-31-2008, 06:45 PM
Damn it, Kanno, your definition of FF made me shed a tear or two. I think that's most of the elements an FF game needs to give the gamer, indeed.

I'm glad I can say something so moving. :)

They [Final Fantasy games] are a glimpse into the final great adventures of these worlds and we're invited along for the ride.

That statement just made me hate all FF sequels and spinoffs. And I've never disliked them before. Damn it. That line of yours really resonates with me...the whole idea that we are taking part in the FINAL adventures of these worlds is what makes the main series games so epic and wonderful. Any sequels cheapen the experience, which is something I'm pretty sure you've said before. ;)

Anyway, I also shed a few tears to your FF experience definition.

Lol! Well now you understand a bit where I come from when I say I'm not fond of sequels and spin-offs. Sorry I made you dislike some of your favorite games though.

Sakaguchi jokingly once said that all it needs is white text on blue menus.

I think I remember that interview. Its pretty true too actually. :p

Partly a question of what you mean by "The FF experience", but I choose to interpret the question as what qualities I hope to see in future Final Fantasy games. Here are a few such:

Well, I would say its what all the games have in common but truthfully its a question asking for an emotional and psychology response one gets when playing the series as a whole and on an individual basis. Yet I wouldn't say you are wrong in saying its the elements you expect from an FF so truth be told, there really is no wrong answer. ;)

I'm surprised this thread got revived and that its doing better. Keep up the good work, its been rather insightful.

felfenix
09-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Define the FF Experience? The stuff used to gain levels in FF. Duh.

Roogle
09-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Final Fantasy is defined, for me, by its recurring elements and gameplay system. The requirement to be a Final Fantasy is fairly low by my eyes - you only need some chocobos, moogles, or Cid or any combination thereof playing a role in the game, and other, incidental references can be used sparingly to enhance the effect of Final Fantasy.