PDA

View Full Version : Stop drinking from plastic water bottles!

Arathia
08-08-2007, 01:38 PM
We should stop drinking from plastic water bottles.
1. It's not good for our health.
2. It's really, REALLY, bad for the environment.

Producing these bottles wastes A LOT of water (much more than you can drink from the bottles itself) and A LOT of electric power (20 times more than a London household does in average every day.).

PLEASE save the Earth NOW! Stop drinking from plastic water bottles!

Polaris
08-08-2007, 01:42 PM
:eek: On my english class we once had an argue about this! And it is true bottle water is actually bad for your health! But we came up to a conclusion that we should re-use our plastic bottles instead of bying new ones ;)

Raebus
08-08-2007, 01:44 PM
After seeing this thread, I'm going to drink from 10 times the amount of plastic water bottles than I'd usually drink from.

Leen-Leen
08-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Yeah, especially with Aquafina admitting that their water is actually just tap water ... xD And to think that I used to drink Aquafina all the time. :(

Bunny
08-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Because plastic water bottles will cease production when the members of EoFF cease to consume them. It has been foretold by the elders.

Momiji
08-08-2007, 02:27 PM
I drank a water bottle last night and felt really sick for a while this morning. Do you think there's a connection?

Raebus
08-08-2007, 02:31 PM
I drank a water bottle last night and felt really sick for a while this morning. Do you think there's a connection?

Theirs an important life lesson here, Water is bad for you or you just drank urine that was clear.

Momiji
08-08-2007, 02:34 PM

Theirs an important life lesson here, Water is bad for you or you just drank urine that was clear.

Nah, it was definitely water...

...at least I think so.. >_>

..I hope so, or else I have serious psychological issues.

Vermachtnis
08-08-2007, 02:39 PM
I never drink water! Only sodie pop, milk, and juice for me. But even if I did drink water, I wouldn't pay for it when I could get it from the sink for free.

Bunny
08-08-2007, 02:42 PM

The only way you would get sick from drinking urine would be if there was something wrong with it. As it is, normal everyday urine has the same qualities as water.

Peegee
08-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Considering that we are paying the government more taxes for some sort of water purification system in our taps, why does anybody drink bottled water?

I'm very confused by this.

blackmage_nuke
08-08-2007, 02:44 PM
The message is dont drink from plastic water bottles, not dont drink water from plastic water bottles, so drinking soda from plastic bottles causes the same damage. (apparently)

Anyway if they made glass bottles again or cans that could be closed, i wouldnt need plastic bottles

And why drink tap or bottle water when the rain falling right on your head

Polaris
08-08-2007, 02:49 PM

Probably! you see, they add some chemicals to bottle water so the taste becomes different than normal water! However it's a very small ammount! BUT if people drink all the time bottle water they can have some problems ;)

Raebus
08-08-2007, 02:50 PM

The only way you would get sick from drinking urine would be if there was something wrong with it. As it is, normal everyday urine has the same qualities as water.

Do currys have an effect on urine? I remember having two currys once and when I went to have a leak, it was surprisingly dark and not bloody but just, not right. OH WELL.

Slothy
08-08-2007, 03:01 PM
Do currys have an effect on urine? I remember having two currys once and when I went to have a leak, it was surprisingly dark and not bloody but just, not right. OH WELL.

Don't know about that, but odds are you just didn't drink enough water that day.

Anywho, drinking bottled water is a bad idea for more reasons than just the health effects from the bottle anyway. You don't get many of the minerals you need from water from a lot of bottled water. You're better off drinking tap water.

crono_logical
08-08-2007, 03:02 PM
I reuse my plastic cup from the water machine at work so get through one a week instead of 10 a day :D?

Old Manus
08-08-2007, 03:03 PM
It's not like every single country in the world has drinkable tap water. Go anywhere in Europe and the chances are that you will be encouraged to drink cleaner bottled water.

Anaisa
08-08-2007, 03:51 PM
If we stop drinking from plastic water bottles the world will be saved? I'm not convinced. Plus I'm not interested in saving it anyway. Most humans don't give a damn what happens to animals, their happy to wipe out whole species, so this save the Earth effort, an "oh no global warming is going to kill us all", centres around humans. An although some of them are nice, there are that many scummy ones, that I'd cheer on the destruction of Earth, purely because I look forward to them all dying. Especially if it's due to their own behaviour, because that would be hilarious. They go on about how clever they are, an about the wonderful things they've created with their high intelligence, an if those wonderful things they've created that they think proves their so intelligent, destroyed them all, that would be great.

Raebus
08-08-2007, 04:04 PM
Once again, Anaisa goes off another rant and that was a classic rant then.

Polaris
08-08-2007, 04:08 PM
If we stop drinking from plastic water bottles the world will be saved? I'm not convinced. Plus I'm not interested in saving it anyway. Most humans don't give a damn what happens to animals, their happy to wipe out whole species, so this save the Earth effort, an "oh no global warming is going to kill us all", centres around humans. An although some of them are nice, there are that many scummy ones, that I'd cheer on the destruction of Earth, purely because I look forward to them all dying. Especially if it's due to their own behaviour, because that would be hilarious. They go on about how clever they are, an about the wonderful things they've created with their high intelligence, an if those wonderful things they've created that they think proves their so intelligent, destroyed them all, that would be great.

I still think people should care because it's not the world fault but people's. :whimper:

Anaisa
08-08-2007, 04:08 PM
Once again, Anaisa goes off another rant and that was a classic rant then.Thanks. Somebody has to be entertaining.

Zeldy
08-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Yeah, not everywhere gets clean tap water. When I was in Spain we'd go through a huge 5L bottle in like a day and had to buy another.
I never drink water out of plastic bottles anyway.

Odaisé Gaelach
08-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Considering that we are paying the government more taxes for some sort of water purification system in our taps, why does anybody drink bottled water?

The only response I can think of to that is...

There are actually many things in life that I have yet to figure out, like, why men wear cell phones on their belt when they could so easily fit them in their pockets mere millimetres away, or why - and I'm not complaining - women wear tube-tops even though every ten seconds it makes them do this:

*starts jumping up and down*

Get-back-in-there!

Araciel
08-08-2007, 04:45 PM

yeah but a lot of people don't trust municipal water, when they really should, since it's more strictly regulated than the bottled kind, and is most likely cleaner...not to mention how much cheaper it is.

Chemical
08-08-2007, 04:57 PM
But we came up to a conclusion that we should re-use our plastic bottles instead of bying new ones ;)

Indeed, the thing is that we've become a society on the go that requires water that is ready available to us.

kikimm
08-08-2007, 05:05 PM
:eek: On my english class we once had an argue about this! And it is true bottle water is actually bad for your health! But we came up to a conclusion that we should re-use our plastic bottles instead of bying new ones ;)

I thought re-using water bottles was really bad for your health too cause of all the bacteria that builds up and stuff. Maybe I shouldn't listen to what my mom tells me but

Also, I'm tired of people jumping on Anaisa after every post she makes. Stop that.

Yamaneko
08-08-2007, 05:06 PM
I just open my mouth when it rains and store the excess for the period of prolonged drought.

Polaris
08-08-2007, 05:12 PM

I thought re-using water bottles was really bad for your health too cause of all the bacteria that builds up and stuff. Maybe I shouldn't listen to what my mom tells me but

Well but you can't tell people that are soooo used to drink bottle water to stop doing that! You have to go slowly. :) My teacher said that the country I am has the best tap water on the europe so she didn't understand why people drank bottle water and she said 'what? you just do that because it's fashionable?'. The reason why people drink bottle water is stupid! But we have to start somewhere ;)

Araciel
08-08-2007, 05:20 PM
i don't know when they started drinking bottled water in europe but we only just started in recent years....so it shouldn't be hard to phase out.

also people drink bottled water because it's marketed. you don't see ads for tapwater. also, they seem to think it's cleaner or better.

Anaisa
08-08-2007, 05:25 PM
If you buy tap water when you're out, it can be chilled. But if you take your own water out with you, it's going to go warm after awhile. I don't like drinking warm water, so if I was going to drink water when I was out, I'd prefer to get it from a shop whilst I was there.

Fonzie
08-08-2007, 06:04 PM
I don't give a damn. :mad2:

XxSephirothxX
08-08-2007, 06:10 PM
And if I keep going out in the sun, I'm going to get skin cancer and die! We like to get up in arms about every little thing that's harmful. The majority of the time I drink tap water, and I don't think the occasional plastic bottle is going to hurt me much.

As for saving the environment...well, at least I try to recycle. Stopping the world from using bottled water, as a convenience or a necessity, just isn't going to work.

Shoeberto
08-08-2007, 06:34 PM
I'm too far out of town to get municipal water, so our water is from a well. It tastes pretty yuck straight out the tap.

But having a water pitcher with a purifier prettymuch takes care of that, so I guess I can't complain too much.

The Ceej
08-08-2007, 06:40 PM

I actually only bought bottled water once in my life. I bought it about five years ago for the bottles. Once they were empty, I refilled them and put them back in the fridge. I still have those bottles and I still refill them. It's not harmful. If it were, I'd have gotten sick by now. Sometimes we just make up problems. I could give you examples, but that's a whole nother thread.

Penn & Teller actually did two good episodes on this. One in the first season called Feng Shui/Bottled Water, and another in the second season about recycling said bottles. Technically, that's one episode, since only half the first one is about bottled water and only half the second one is about recycling of these bottles (The whole episode is recycling in general.) but you get the point.

Basically the answer is this: People buy bottled water because they're incredibly stupid. The guy who invented bottled water had some balls going out on a limb that people were stupid enough to pay a dollar for a bottle of water when they could get that much out of their tap for less than a cent, but he was brilliant. Bottled water isn't the only thing, though. There are all kinds of products that were invented for the sole purpose of getting stupid people to spend their money. I could give you examples, but that's also a whole nother thread.

The moral of the story is this: If you're intelligent, you've either never bought bottled water, or just bought it once for the bottles.

rubah
08-08-2007, 06:57 PM
I drink from water bottles my family has bought previously (often because they held flavored water!) and have not thrown away.

I do not believe that is hurting the environment, as the water comes out of our tap now, and I do not want to throw such useful bottles away.

People should just keep their bottles and refill them. It's not like the water they put in them is any different than the water that comes out of most taps. I think dasani released a statement to that effect, anyways :]

(btw stu's water is nasty and makes me want to throw up after drinking it for a few days)

louby_4eva
08-08-2007, 07:14 PM
I drink bottled water but the doesn't mean I'm stupid. Tap water doesn't taste very nice, and as for the minenals, the water in the north of england doesn't have something in it (I can't quite remember what it was called) but it gives you stronger teeth. Also, the water in my area is weirdly cloudy, I don't feel as though this is purified if it looks horribly misty, so I won't drink it. I don't quite understand the damage plastic water bottles are causing to the environment; Is it making them? Is it not recycling? I recycle my plastic bottles anyway. :D :D :D

Smile and Be happy :love:

Jojee
08-08-2007, 07:44 PM
Didn't know, I don't drink bottled water as much anymore, but my favorite kinds are Aquafina and Dasani, which (apparently) are both filtered tap waters. :p I think some of the "real" spring waters taste really godawful... When I have a working filter (mine died recently T_T) in the home, or the fridge filter, I use that. ...I can't drink non-filtered tap water though, that tastes really awful too.

...Mostly I drink milk or juice, though. ^_^

Anyway, will keep in mind. :</>D

The Ceej
08-08-2007, 07:46 PM
I recycle my plastic bottles anyway.

Don't. It costs more and it's more harmful on the environment to recycle bottles than to make virgin bottles. Also, virgin bottles are of higher quality. In fact, the only thing that you ever should recycle is aluminum.

And, on topic, 90% of people preferred the taste of New York City tap water to a popular bottled water in a blind taste test. So, saying that you drink bottled water because it tastes better is bull. There is absolutely no reason to buy bottled water. None. You can't name a reason to which I can't call bull. I challenge you.

Let me shoot some reasons down now, so you're not tempted to name the obvious ones.

Tap water is better for you than bottled water.
Tap water is cleaner than bottled water.
Tap water is cheaper than bottled water.
Tap water is better for the environment than bottled water.

You want a source? I refer you to season 1 of Penn & Teller's show.

Jojee
08-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Oh boy oh boy, I love bigheaded all-knowing people who base their assumptions on made up silly statistics :</>D

(Also, since when do New Yoikers have taste buds? ;D Bad example, even.)

Rengori
08-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Who's idea was bottled water anyway? I bet there was an business meeting over in like France or something, "How stupid do I think the Americans are? I bet we could sell them water."

Resha
08-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Come to some places here; let's see you drink from the tap and still be alive five days later. Bottled water is a necessity for some of us who don't completely wish to die of diarrhoea and stuff :p

And tap water is no Evian :cry:

Polaris
08-08-2007, 09:12 PM

They don't really recycle some things you know ;) They send it to China to 'recycle' but they actually burn it!:(

Rengori
08-08-2007, 09:18 PM

They don't really recycle some things you know ;) They send it to China to 'recycle' but they actually burn it!:(

I'm fairly certain there are laws in place to prevent things like that.

Freya
08-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Oh yeah, I payed 2 Euro for plastic bottle of water whilst in Europe and then 8 for a glass bottle. I'd rather go for plastic thank you very much.

Shiny
08-08-2007, 09:27 PM
Wait, why is drinking out of a plastic bottle bad for health? Eventhough, I drink out of a glass for water more so.

Jowy
08-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Now only will I continue to consume my delicious Propel Lemon, but I will throw the bottles out of the window of the car.

Araciel
08-08-2007, 09:32 PM
the one with all leather interior and big brown baby seal eyes for headlights?

Disco Potato
08-08-2007, 09:57 PM
It's not like every single country in the world has drinkable tap water. Go anywhere in Europe and the chances are that you will be encouraged to drink cleaner bottled water.

Same in Asia. Many people in this thread, especially those that claim only idiots drink bottled water, seem to be taking it for granted that their tap water is clean. Bacteria(the harmful kind at least)-free tap water in Pakistan is nonexistent - you either boil, then refrigerate the tap water, or buy big cartons of bottled water, where the water is, at the very least, filtered. The latter is a hell of a lot easier for those who can afford it. I've been constantly drinking Nestle water for about a month now (several litres a day) and haven't gotten sick from it.

Come to some places here; let's see you drink from the tap and still be alive five days later. Bottled water is a necessity for some of us who don't completely wish to die of diarrhoea and stuff :p

Exactly.

It might be bad for our health to drink from plastic bottles, but in many places, it would be even worse for people's health to not drink from them.

Lawr
08-08-2007, 10:09 PM
It tastes different from the water in those gallon bottle-mathingies.

daggertrepe
08-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Dasani is the best. I will continue to drink bottled water, despite this thread.

Psychotic
08-08-2007, 10:29 PM
I down two large plastic bottles of water a day. Couldn't give a fuck about the damage to the environment, and as for health problems, well christ, everything leads to health problems these days.

Xaven
08-09-2007, 12:32 AM
The tap water here is nasty. Yes, it is nasty. You can't tell me otherwise. :P The water from the fridge is worse. It's all so hard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_water).

I drink bottled water because it tastes better. I throw the bottles out afterwards. Man, I surely must be an idiot. I pay for the bottled water in bulk simply because it's more pleasurable to drink. No one in this thread has actually given specifics on the harm of drinking from plastic bottles other than possible bacteria buildup over years. Is it carcinogens you're worried about? Oh please, I'd get skin cancer from the sun before I get cancer from bottled water.

persephonehermione
08-09-2007, 08:28 AM
I must admit I drink out of bottles when I buy things, but I also drink out of cartons, surely they are a risk also?

I don't buy water to drink out of plastic bottles...not a big fan of water..............*sniff* *sniff*

But I also don't buy cans as I never drink what's inside of them. With bottles I can put the lid back on, and save for later.

But I don't like tea or coffee, so I don't want to resort to that.

Also when buying glass bottles you run the risk of people smashing them. Harming not only themselves but other animals.

I also only buy the 2litre robinsons squash, and when I go out, buy a small bottle of pop, but thats rare when I do. I aso then re-use that bottle and put squash in it, if I'm going out again.

I have also drunk bottled water though, and have been feeling very ill afterwards. Bad stomach cramps, unrelated to any other reason.

Hmmmmm

Persephone Hermione x

Rye
08-09-2007, 01:35 PM
I dunno where you live, but tap water tastes disgusting here, and I will not drink it. I like drinking plastic bottles, and I never met anyone who had a problem with it. Well, I guess there's always someone to whine about some random issue.

Arathia
08-09-2007, 02:18 PM
I know that many thinks there's nothing wrong with drinking water from plastic bottles. We don't get seriously sick or anything, but that's just what the doctor said. You won't be as healthy as time passes. That's all.

By the way, if tap water is disgusting, try boiling it first. It won't use as much energy as it did to make the bottle. and you can be sure there's less unhealthy things in it. :)

Jowy
08-09-2007, 03:45 PM
the one with all leather interior and big brown baby seal eyes for headlights?

Yeah! And I'm gonna drive around in that baby at 115 MPH, getting one mile per gallon, suckin' down Quarter-Pounder cheeseburgers from McDonalds in the old-fashioned non-biodegradable Styrofoam container and when I'm done suckin' down those grease-ball burgers, I'm gonna wipe my mouth with the American flag, and I'm gonna toss the Styrofoam containers right out the side, and there ain't a goddamn thing anybody can do about it!

louby_4eva
08-09-2007, 04:59 PM
By the way, if tap water is disgusting, try boiling it first. It won't use as much energy as it did to make the bottle. and you can be sure there's less unhealthy things in it. :)

When I want a drink, I want it now, I don't plan half an hour in advance. Boil the water then have to wait for it to cool down so that I don't get burnt.
Why is drinking out of bottles unhealthy? What is it that's unhealthy?

Formalhaut
08-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Tap water doesn't taste very nice, and as for the minenals, the water in the north of england doesn't have something in it (I can't quite remember what it was called) but it gives you stronger teeth.

called Calcium right?

Anyway, I barely drink water anyway, tap water in England, for me tastes bleh. Bottled water tastes alright. Flavoured water is disgusting..

blackmage_nuke
08-09-2007, 11:10 PM
I think it was flourine or flouride

Mirage
08-09-2007, 11:28 PM
This is stupid. Maybe if water was a limited resource around where I live, but it's not. Quite the opposite, in fact. I've also never gotten sick from bottled water, but I also usually drink carbonated bottled water.

Plastic bottles are recycled anyway, and electricity isn't an issue if people just stop using fossil fuel :p. It's not the bottled water that ruins the earth, it's stupid people using fossil fuel instead of renewable energy sources or nuclear power.

louby_4eva
08-10-2007, 12:44 AM
I think it was flourine or flouride

Flouride, that was it. Thanking you :D :D :D

Jessweeee♪
08-10-2007, 05:18 AM
Why is it bad for you again???

I don't drink water when I have something else in the house :P

Usually there isn't x.x

Big D
08-10-2007, 10:58 PM
[
Let me shoot some reasons down now, so you're not tempted to name the obvious ones.

Tap water is better for you than bottled water.
Tap water is cleaner than bottled water.
Tap water is cheaper than bottled water.
Tap water is better for the environment than bottled water.

You want a source? I refer you to season 1 of Penn & Teller's show.Penn & Teller's Bull:skull::skull::skull::skull:! is in infamously unreliable source. They routinely ignore any established science and facts that don't support whatever argument they're pushing in a given episode. The recycling episode is probably the worst thus far. I could waste a page deconstructing it, but for this discussion what matters most is that they took an in-depth, yet hopelessly skewed, look at the recycling of paper and claimed that their analysis proved all recycling wasteful.
Plastic bottles are made from petroleum, a non-renewable resource, so the recycling of them reduces the rate of fossil fuel depletion and also reduces the levels of waste products in landfills.

Drinking bottled water is a good idea in areas with poor-quality tap water, a very common problem on a lot of continents. Provided the available bottled water of of a higher quality than that from local taps, of course. Drinking bottled water can be the difference between good health, and crippling diarrhoea. In other cases, it might be simply an indulgent personal preference - the absence of chlorine of other additives in bottled water, or maybe the presence of naturally-occurring minerals in spring water. We spend a lot of time paying more for products that taste a little better, so this is little different.

Now, as for the (extremely) popular belief, there's no health risk from re-using plastic bottles... there's no evidence that this can cause cancer, and apparently little likelihood that it can have any ill effects.
Urban Legends Reference Pages: Reuse of Plastic Bottles (http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/petbottles.asp)
Still some ongoing debate in that regard, but by and large it seems you're safe to re-use bottles.

Jessweeee♪
08-10-2007, 11:20 PM
I used to live in a place with salty tap water o.o

Fonzie
08-10-2007, 11:22 PM
I used to live in a place with salty tap water o.o

The saltier, the healthier.

Arathia
08-20-2007, 06:17 AM
And I heard that many companies actually use tap water as bottled water, claiming that it was mountain spring. So you really get nothing batter by drinking bottled water.

Big D
08-20-2007, 07:09 AM
And I heard that many companies actually use tap water as bottled water, claiming that it was mountain spring. So you really get nothing batter by drinking bottled water.Depends on where you live. If you're in a country with strong consumer protection laws and vigilant watchdog groups, then such deeds won't go unnoticed forever.

In my hometown, our tap water actually comes from a spring anyway, and in my current city it's all from underground aquifers, so I've little need for bottled water except when I'm on the move and direly thirsty.

Jessweeee♪
08-20-2007, 07:12 AM
We've been having problems with our tap water x.x

...first they found too much e. coli in it, then they put waaaaaaaay too much treatment in there to fix it x.x

We drank out of bottled water because we were too lazy to boil it :P

aquatius
08-20-2007, 09:50 AM
I KNEW the french were evil!

Nominus Experse
08-20-2007, 10:24 AM
I only drink bottled water if my filter seems to be running slowly and I feel as though I absolutely need water at that moment.

There is something wrong with the well here, and so the water has flecks of iron (yes, they are large enough to see) in it. If there wasn't I would likely continue to run it through a filter, but wouldn't bother with bottled water, as I don't much care for the inherent plastic taste in bottled water.