PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe this.

Radje
08-08-2007, 10:30 PM
I was watching that Final Fantasy retrospective yesterday evening and I discovered a horrible/excellent mistake I had made.

Despite knowing that American Final Fantasies had been renumbered (4 -2 and 6 - 3) I have somehow missed out the Original Final Fantasy 3 altogether. I didn't even know it existed. For some reason my brain let me think that it and 6 were the same game which makes no sense now...

So I've ended up with a completely new Final Fantasy to play and i'm over-joyed! Embarassed as hell though.

The Mog Ninja
08-09-2007, 09:51 AM
Does this thread have a topic?

Captain Maxx Power
08-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Did you never find it odd we had a Final Fantasy 3 forum and a Final Fantasy 6 one?

Radje
08-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Just that I'm an idiot. There isn't really anything else to it :p.

KentaRawr!
08-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Just that I'm an idiot. There isn't really anything else to it :p.

Finally, SOMEONE admits it! :D

Lawr
08-12-2007, 01:00 AM
:thumb: CONGRATULATIONS!!! :monster:

Radje
08-12-2007, 11:09 AM
:cry:

They don't half make it hard to find a *cough*Translated ROM*cough* though. I must say.

Could mean a DS is on the cards.

ReloadPsi
08-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Well you won't find anything if you don't add SOM2FREAK to your search, honest.

Enjoy the game, this one is one hell of a lot of fun.

Sam250
08-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Strange how you knew about the number changes, but still manage to miss Final Fantasy III. Still, i imagine that your were pretty happy to find you had a new Final Fantasy, i knew i would have been (though the embaresment may have somwhat canceled it out...)

Enjoy the game. Can i ask, are you emulating, buying NES, or buying DS. Becasue i would reccoment DS, for FFIII, and all the other Final Fantasys and great games too.

Radje
08-12-2007, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the hint.

I'm planning on emulating simply because it would feel wrong not to do so having emulated all the other early Final Fantasies (The turbo button is my friend.) However somewhere along the line I'm buying a DS for sure in order to play the remake and also for all the other games that are good for the handheld.

It was pretty embarrassing once I realised how obvious my mistake was. I've remembered why I started thinking that both games were the same. Most importantly was the first time, years ago, when I was introduced to all of the Final Fantasies before VII the person who handed me the copies had obviously missed out III by accident and instead put the imported American version of VI. So I had seen the games were identical and never thought more about it.

Secondly though, having never, ever visited this part of the EOFF forums I have never heard a single ounce of stroyline or character information or gameplay of III. It is completely new to me and I can't wait to get cracking on the play-through once I find a good ROM.

aquatius
08-12-2007, 10:11 PM
http://www.dgemu.com/search.html Have Fun!

Radje
08-12-2007, 10:24 PM
Every version i've tried has a bad checksum apparently. No doubt i've done something very basic and wrong but this is annoying. Cou;d Snes9x v1.39 be the problem?

FuzZerd
08-12-2007, 10:44 PM
Snes9x is for super nintendo games, the original ffIII was for the nintendo I would try nestopia

Radje
08-12-2007, 11:14 PM
Amazing! Thank you very much. I'm not exactly improving my image of stupidity by not realising that I was using a Super Nintendo - only emulator. *Sigh*

Thank you again though. I'll be pinned to the screen for hours.

Sam250
08-15-2007, 09:04 PM
Lol, at least you can admit your mistake, and type with full grammer.

Oh, and i agree about what you said with the turbo button- saves time with all that level grinding, don't you think? :)

Radje
08-15-2007, 10:21 PM
A regular grammar hound me, lol. Unnecessary short-hand, "txt" speak and "1337" speak annoy me to no end.

I'm at the Viking's lair now having spent time playing Trauma Center on my Wii instead. It is a great game I must say, and it's nice to play another old 2D one but I can't say i'm too impressed with the way the main four characters are portrayed. Whether it is a poorly translated part or they [I]actually[I] only ever speak as one person through whichever player is appearing on the map I don't know. But it is quite annoying. I haven't noticed any character development at all.

Might be too much to ask for the third Final Fantasy however :P

Yes, battles can get tedious and slow in the older FFs. However after playing through an entire game using the turbo button often do you notice you make to reach for it when playing completely different games which don't feature a turbo?

Elpizo
08-16-2007, 08:07 AM
I'm at the Viking's lair now having spent time playing Trauma Center on my Wii instead. It is a great game I must say, and it's nice to play another old 2D one but I can't say i'm too impressed with the way the main four characters are portrayed. Whether it is a poorly translated part or they [I]actually[I] only ever speak as one person through whichever player is appearing on the map I don't know. But it is quite annoying. I haven't noticed any character development at all.

That's why I like the DS version more. In the DS version, each main character has his own personality and they aren't 4 nameless boys, but 3 boys and a girl.

Even after you finish this version (which I strongly advise), you should still give the DS version a go, mainly to see all changes, but most of all for Refia (the new girl main character). =) You won't regret it, I swear it.

Sam250
08-28-2007, 08:58 PM
I don't know, in a way the mix between an absolute lack of story, and afull fledged Final Fantasy story turns out as a bit of a mess. They tryed to add a hint of emotion and character development into the game, but in the end i almost prefered it when there was none. Ther should keep it to either extreme (prefferablly the end with the most story).

Still, its a minor improvment, and i would still reccomend the DS version.

tidus_rox
09-03-2007, 02:09 AM
lol, I will admit that I am a complete idiot because still, to date I don't understand this whole, III=VI and such.

Lawr
09-03-2007, 11:24 PM
lol, I will admit that I am a complete idiot because still, to date I don't understand this whole, III=VI and such.

I can explain it all to you if you want. Not like you have a choice so here I go. :mog:

FF1 arrives in America around the same time Japan gets FF4. Since FF4 sold so good in Japan, Squaresoft skipped 2 and 3 and sent 4 to America, but to America, it was the second in the series, so they renamed it FF2. This same thing applies to FF6, they skipped FF5 and called FF6, FF3 in America. I think that should help ;]

tidus_rox
09-09-2007, 08:25 PM

I can explain it all to you if you want. Not like you have a choice so here I go. :mog:

FF1 arrives in America around the same time Japan gets FF4. Since FF4 sold so good in Japan, Squaresoft skipped 2 and 3 and sent 4 to America, but to America, it was the second in the series, so they renamed it FF2. This same thing applies to FF6, they skipped FF5 and called FF6, FF3 in America. I think that should help ;]

And so it does. However, if we missed all those Final Fantasies, then how do we have all of them in out stores and such. Or were the PS1 versions of FF IV the firsts ones we saw?

Heath
09-09-2007, 08:51 PM
The Playstation versions of Final Fantasy IV, V and VI were the first time they were numbered as such outside of Japan, it was also the first time that FFV was actually released to the rest of the world. As said, IV was originally released as 'II' and VI was originally 'III' in the States.

ValiantKnight
09-10-2007, 01:20 AM
US:
NES FF1(FF1)
SNES FF2(FF4)
SNES FF3(FF6)
PS1 FF7(FF7)
PS1 FF8(FF8)
PS1 FFTactics(FFTactics)
PS1 Origins(retouched FF1 and FF2)(First time FF2 hits US shores)
PS1 Chronicles(retouched FF4 and Chrono Trigger)
PS1 Anthology(retouched FF5 and FF6)(First time FF5 hits US shores)
PS1 FF9(FF9)
PS2 FF10(FF10)
GBA FFDoS(FF 1 and 2)
GBA FF4advance(retouched FF4)
GBA FF5advance(retouched FF5)
GBA FF6advance(retouched FF6)
DS FF3(full retouch/remake FF3)(first time FF3 hits US shores)
DS FF4(full retouch/remake FF4)(in production)
PSP FFAnniversary(FF1 and FF2 retouched)
PS2 FF12(FF12)

And I think I missed at least half a dozen titles, and don't have the timeline anywhere near right.

Crossblades
09-10-2007, 02:01 AM
Or you could just look here >_>

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-i/43493-final-fantasy-i-iv-faq.html

Sefie1999AD
09-22-2007, 09:46 PM

That's why I like the DS version more. In the DS version, each main character has his own personality and they aren't 4 nameless boys, but 3 boys and a girl.

Even after you finish this version (which I strongly advise), you should still give the DS version a go, mainly to see all changes, but most of all for Refia (the new girl main character). =) You won't regret it, I swear it.

I finally played FFIII DS too. I found a DS emulator, and while the game works, it's terribly slow. The first dungeon took me 30-60 minutes or so. Moving around is alright, but the battles are a major pain since they're so slow, and the lagging music sounds extremely annoying. At least saving the game works, so I don't have to play through the first dungeon again (although maybe I should do a few things again since I just skipped most of the text) and I can continue playing the game. I'll have to see how well the game works on my own computer, though.

Elpizo
09-23-2007, 07:26 AM
There's one emulator that can emulate FF III at a close-to-perfect speed in the first dungeon, but some parts of the character models don't show up, the first boss and the world map lags noticably and you can't save. =/ Such a shame, for otherwise, no$gba would be the best DS emulator in existence up until now. Even the random encounters go pretty smooth. At least the music doesn't lag, except in the boss.

I don't know which one you are using, Sephiroth1999AD?

Sefie1999AD
09-23-2007, 07:35 AM
I'm using No$gba, and I can save normally. I didn't notice a difference between random battles and boss fights because they both lag big-time. This computer (1.80 GHz) is slightly faster than my own computer (1.67 GHz), so I wonder how slow the game will be on my computer.

Elpizo
09-23-2007, 07:42 AM
Strange. With me battles and dungeons went almost normal, but boss battles lagged, like the world map. And I couldn't save. >.<
It's getting there, but DS emulation still has a long way to go, I fear...

Rostum
09-23-2007, 07:43 AM
Nintendo DS's are cheap... Why would you even bother emulating and getting crappy results? FFIII DS is alright, I am more excited about FFIV DS though.

Elpizo
09-23-2007, 07:48 AM
Nintendo DS's are cheap... Why would you even bother emulating and getting crappy results? FFIII DS is alright, I am more excited about FFIV DS though.

Oh, I have a DS. But in the past (when I had a GBA) I used emulation to tests which games I'd perhaps would like to buy. Being able to do the same with DS games would be fun.

There's one big thing that annoys the heck out of me about III DS. FF III was the FF that needed an upgrade most. The DS remade it alright, but right now it's the most outdated DS FF as well. Look at IV DS, or FF CC RoF for that matter. Both 3D, and both played a lot smoother than III DS. I know it was their first DS game, but common. I would gladly have waited one more year so that III could get to IV DS' level. SE, you're doing this because you hate me. >_>

Sefie1999AD
09-23-2007, 11:05 PM
A problem with getting a DS is that it costs about 160 euros, which is something I can't afford, really. I played the DS version on an emulator, and for some reason, it now worked pretty well. The only things that lagged badly were the world map and towns. I played the game for about 4 hours and a half, and the save games were working normally (I could save, quit the game, shut down the emulator, load up the emulator and the game again, and the saves were still there), and things looked fine, until it seemed one of the save slots had become corrupt. Maybe I should have saved over that slot, but I didn't... so when I loaded the game next time, all my save slots had disappeared. :( Oh well, that was my 4.5 hours of playing FFIII DS.

The game felt quite a lot like the NES version. The random encounters seem a lot more infrequent, and the enemies may be slightly harder (I got a game over once when Luneth was wandering alone in the world map and faced two Berserkers, and once when I tried the Kazus mines with only Luneth and Arc), though has the maximum number of enemies you can face at the same time been decreased? The characters all seem pretty nice. Elpizo, I think you're right, Refia is a really sweet character. ^^ With the save games gone, I don't have much left of the game, except my memories... and a screenshot of Refia saying (about Ingus joining the party), "Of course not! His sword is worth twice that of these two."

Takara
09-24-2007, 03:01 AM
I giggled at that part. *removes mind from the gutter*

escobert
09-28-2007, 04:16 AM
I payed $99 for my blue leet DS, FFIII on the DS is one fo my favorite FFs actually.