PDA

View Full Version : My oh my!

Spawn of Sephiroth
08-09-2007, 05:33 AM
Well, I was at Gamestop today with Masamunemaster and he came over and showed me this disk. Well, it is a started disk for FF XI and it was only 5 bucks on top of a free 30 day subscription. So, I figured for 5 dollars, I will give it a try. So, my question is if I like it and decide to buy a subscription, is it really worth it? Right now it is installing (holy cow 8.5 GB to save), so its taking a little while.

Jessweeee♪
08-09-2007, 07:00 AM
Oh dear...installation takes waaay too long >.<

I'm only playing for this summer, but so far I like it n.n

They like to rip you off though...I think it's $12 per account plus $1 per character every month you play (and if you want to play two of them at the same time you need to make a separate account).

...aaaaanyway, it's really really fun, you'll find out for yourself. The thing is, you gotta dedicate yourself to it, or you fall behind your friends.

Spawn of Sephiroth
08-09-2007, 07:27 AM
Yeah, I am going on an hour and a half right now, that includes making my Playonline ID and content ID, which is Major Fetters by the way for anyone wanting to put me on their Playonline friend list. I am 32% downloading the final FF11 updates, the one with almost 18000 files. So yeah, starting to get a little sleepy and I have to get up at 7 in the morning. I know if I enjoy it, Im gonna buy it and play it with what few free time I have outside of class seeing how I begin my first college class Thursday(16th) not today @ 8:30. So, this will keep my going.

Markus. D
08-10-2007, 07:07 AM
You will only ever >really< need another character if you want a mule (And trust me... if you get into it, you will n_n;).

I recommend giving it a really really good go before judging it, It's more massive than any FF game you will play pre-XIII (... Not sure about the life span of that one... as I have never played it n_n;;;)

Rostum
08-10-2007, 08:23 AM
They like to rip you off though...I think it's $12 per account plus $1 per character every month you play (and if you want to play two of them at the same time you need to make a separate account).

You will not have to make another character unless you need a mule to store equipment and materials. Plus, every other MMO costs around $15 a month, and every other MMO out there will not let you two-box on the same account. The monthly fee is good for the developers to create more content, fix bugs and keep everything in-game moderated.

I think that if you are into MMO's, this is one of the more mature-based games than something like World of Warcraft. It is heavily party-based, focusing on battle mechanics and strategy (not to mention a lot of tedious grinding, but what MMO doesn't?). I had a lot of fun in the 3-or-so years I had played, hope you like it.

nozkits
08-13-2007, 07:10 AM
Oh dear...installation takes waaay too long >.<

I'm only playing for this summer, but so far I like it n.n

...aaaaanyway, it's really really fun, you'll find out for yourself. The thing is, you gotta dedicate yourself to it, or you fall behind your friends.
once you hit lvl 40. Your life on this game begins to resemble the slave wage existence/future that most Americans have.

point being said. You end up working, but not getting paid, but instead paying your employer(SE) instead.

UltimateSpamGrover
08-13-2007, 10:26 AM
If you liked the medieval setting of the older Final Fantasies, you should like this one. Have fun! =D

Siegfried
08-15-2007, 06:00 AM
If you have friends and you want to keep but cannot, then do not.
Play at your own pace if you do and just play when you want to. I have played for 4-5 years now and I do not have a single job to the max level limit. Just take your time if needed and have a bunch of fun.
Note: You will come to a place that looks like a desert when you enter. Only take the advice and guidance of that who have Rank 5 or higher. The people in this area tend to think they have a knowledge about the game that they think surpasses their own comprehension.

Yeargdribble
08-15-2007, 08:04 AM
FFXI is not for the casual player. There are casual players, but they will miss most of the meat of the game and all that's left really is grinding XP in parties with people. Just be aware that you'll need to be able to regularly set aside 2-3 hours to really play. Nothing pisses off a group more than you having to leave suddenly and reputation can go a long way as far as party invites are concerned.

The community is overall superior to other MMOs, but the game is almost like a job. It takes quite a bit of work and effort.

Markus. D
08-15-2007, 09:01 AM
Well. I've never really had it felt like a chore... but then again I tend to like the whole grind type of gameplay.