PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy XI installation help please

Spawn of Sephiroth
08-09-2007, 04:50 PM
Ok, I sat up all night with this damn game installing it. It was installing a version update of FF11 and I don't see why it needs to because the disk is new, but then it goes and downloads 17000 something files, then after that theres like 2200 files but the time on it was 10 hours. So about 2 hours into it, it kicks off and says update has stopped and can't continue. I don't know why, but I am tired, pissy and have to be into work in 2 hours. So can anyone help me out and know what the hell is going on.

Renmiri
08-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Every time I login there's a new update like those... I suggest getting DSL though. A lot less painful for those frequently updated thingies.

Shoeberto
08-09-2007, 08:47 PM
MMORPGs are patched a lot. Usually they don't release retail CDs with the most recent version of the game, since it's easier just to have them press the same thing over and over and have you patch it once you get it home.

So basically you're installing the vanilla version of the game, and it has to install about, I dunno, four years of patches? However long FFXI's been running.

If you're on dial-up, the game may play fine once you're in... but patching is killer. I know I went about half a year without playing WoW, but I still had to download about 600 megabytes of updates (luckily I have cable). I second the recommendation of getting some kind of cheap always-on broadband connection if it's available (assuming you do have dial-up).

Baloki
08-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Doesn't matter what your connection speed is at SE cap it at 56k d/l speed anyways.

Renmiri
08-09-2007, 09:51 PM
Doesn't matter what your connection speed is at SE cap it at 56k d/l speed anyways.

Really ? I didn't notice 2 hour update times.

I recommend buying the 2007 Combo for $19.99

FINAL FANTASY XI Vana'diel Collection 2007 Windows

Rostum
08-10-2007, 02:14 AM

They've fixed up their download system a bit, though it is still very crap. They have always had problems with disconnections and slow speeds no matter how fast your connection is.

The most I've ever had to wait is 3 hours, installing the start of this year from CD's I got when it was first released.

Lionx
08-12-2007, 09:45 PM
I believe they cap it IN THE GAME and not during patching. Unless SE was just that cruel to let me wait 13 hours patching with 56K back in beta and only take 2 hours now with my Cable patching.