PDA

View Full Version : Tekken 5: DR Online

Dreddz
08-10-2007, 08:00 PM
So it was released in Japan at the start of the month and I have finally been able to play it. Due to the increased difficulties of buying downloads off the japanese store I had to go to a friends house to play it as they could get through the loophole. My brief time with it made me unsure whether I should buy the game. I enjoy playing games online but hate lag and the game had its moments when I was getting so frustrated with it, adding to the fact that japanese gamers are freaking hardcore when it comes to Tekken. I found myself losing more than I would of liked. When lag wasnt present I was enjoying myself, and the challenge only added to the fun factor.

But when it comes down to it, I own Tekken 5 already, already have a group of people local to me who still enjoy playing the game, with them I experience no lag at all and its still funner playing with people around you than someone you dont know half way across the globe. Maybe when the game is released outside Japan can I see whether lag is present with people local to you. If its still there, we have a problem.

JKTrix
08-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Japan Only Fighter + Online Play = Absence of Trix

Aside from the lag, which is always an issue for middle-of-nowhere Bermuda, the people are indeed hardcore. I would get beat down so bad in the 2 Bleach DS games and also Jump Ultimate Stars that I didn't ever want to play online against random people again.

I also own Tekken 5 already (twice), despite the fact I don't even really like the series, so I wasn't going to purchase this anyway. I was definitely interested to see how it would work online. I guess we'll have to wait until it is released outside Japan.

That said, I'm sure it's silky smooth in Japan. The servers are all there, and Japan is a comparatively small mass of land so the data doesn't have to travel as far, so the lag is probably nonexistant. There are quite a few online fighters on the PS2 (mostly 2D, mind you) so it has to be working.

Dreddz
08-10-2007, 11:52 PM
I dont think its silky smooth in Japan either, but obviously better. It depends on both peoples connection, I experienced some games with little lag, some with noticeable lag and others so unplayable that I just dropped the controller and said fuck it, whats the point. I found with all games though that there is a small time delay with issuing moves, you probably wont notice it at first but when I played offline I could instantly see the difference.

I wouldnt say japanese gamers are way out of my league but the standards are raised alot over there. Alot of the time I was playing someone roughly on my level, which meant that no match was an easy win or lose. I would say im an alright Tekken player, so to see someone in Japan juggling my ass all over the place once and awhile I can clearly see im among all the other average players over there. Its disheartening but at the same time the japanese are alot more competitive with there fighters and alot of them consume there entire life on a single fighter. And believe me, you know when you've come across one of them, because once you have found out, the match is over and the big KO sign is projected into your retina for the tenth time.

Mo-Nercy
08-14-2007, 02:32 AM
I'd love to be able to play Tekken online. I've managed to pick up quite a few more tricks with Lee and I've made him a whole lot more deadly on okizeme.

What I used to do was ff+3 for backrollers which would whiff for side techroll and I'd get punished. Now I can f~N,f+3 which is the same move as ff+3, but the range is massive because of the Mist Step and I get it's tracking benefits too. So, provided I hit them as they're getting up, it's more or less guaranteed and it no longer matters whether they're back or side rolling. If you're playing against Lee, I would definitely watch out for it.

The new (to DR) u+3 fake flip didn't used to do much, I thought. But now I use it constantly as a buffer for Dragon Slide (d,df,d+3) and mix it up with Blazing Kick (d~df+4). It's awesome but hardly original, I was just slow to catch on. Again, something to watch out for when playing Lee.

Yeah. Anyway. I'm sick of blowinbg money at arcades to play real people. I'm playing Initial D version 4 now which costs double a Tekken game so I really need to be a tightarse about it. Playing online may just be the answer xD