PDA

View Full Version : Oh dear God, please help me!

Spatvark
10-28-2001, 08:37 PM
Aaaaaaarrrgghh! I just updated my PC from Win 95 to Win Me and in doing so, Scandisk has wiped almost all of my private files! It seems to have turned them all into *.chk files and I can't turn them back!

Can any one recommend me a good file retrieval program? Please, I'm desperate. Please pretty please, with a cherry on top? *falls to knees and starts grovelling* I shall be eternally greatful...

Cactuar2000
10-28-2001, 08:53 PM
What kinds of files has it converted? And why can't you just rename the extensions?

If you say they're *.chk's then it would suggest you still have them, but they've had their format changed, just rename the extensions as a first try.

Big Ogre Umaro
10-28-2001, 09:18 PM
The thing is, I think, that Scandisk sticks a LOTTA files into one chk file. So you can't just rename it and make everythin cool. Generally all that's in 'em are temp files and corrupted files that you should delete anyway, so I don't really understand how your private stuff could have gotten mixed in with all of that. That's why you BACK EVERYTHING UP before doing something major like upgrading an OS.

Spatvark
10-28-2001, 09:49 PM
Yeah I had back-ups on my other drives. The drive I installed Win ME (C) on was formatted first, most of my stuff was on my 2nd (D) and 3rd (E) drives, and had backup zips on my 4th drive (F), but it was my other drives that got trashed by scandisk, including my backups, not my C drive coz' that was blank.

In hindsight, I should have disconnected my other drives, but I didn't and now I'm regretting it

Rainecloud
11-01-2001, 08:12 AM
I'm sorry to tell you this, but you should never have changed your operating system. Windows ME is cursed, and 95 is much better for numerous reasons.

If possible, I suggest you get your 95 system back again, as it's much faster and more reliable.

crono_logical
11-01-2001, 02:39 PM
Actually, ME is better for a number of reasons, not including better disk management and better hardware support. Try to get Windows '98 instead, or better yet, use Windows XP like me :D

Dr Unne
11-01-2001, 05:42 PM
Windows 98 was my favorite Windows. 95 is too old. To upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows ME on my computer, I had to manually erase my Windows folder from DOS to get rid of the twisted mess that 98 had become, so that ME didn't try to use that old garbage in its install. That's the best way to install ME. Make sure you're installing it from scratch, and it might work right, for a week or two at least.

Spatvark
11-02-2001, 03:55 PM
Did that, I formatted my C drive before installing ME but Scandisk trashed my files on other drives. I REALLY need a file recovery program... could someone help me?