PDA

View Full Version : Should I quit my job?

BardTard
08-11-2007, 08:32 PM
I'm seriously thinking about quitting my job. It's my first job though, and not alot of people will hire me because I'm 17 (only for 20 more days luckily) and I don't have my driver's license, because I'm epileptic (I have seizures, luckily I might be able to get my license because I haven't had a seizure in 5 years and my last EEG turned out perfect).

Well here's the story.

Some time last week my boss came up to me and told me she needed to talk to me. We went into the back room and she said she heard that I've "been mean to Janet all day." I'm NOT a mean person, anybody can tell you that, so I had no clue what she meant by that.

I talked to Janet about it. I apologized for hurting her feelings but told her I had no clue what I did. She told me, "Oh I think you know what you did." If I did, why would I be asking?

I talked to Kathi, my boss again after that. She then told me that Janet is her right hand woman or something like that, and she's not going to fire her. She told me if Janet has a problem with anybody, they would be leaving, not Janet.

I don't want to get fired, so I figured I'd have to be really nice and suck up if I want to keep my job. I talked to Janet several times but she wouldn't really talked to me, so I wrote her a letter so maybe she'd see how serious I am. I have no idea what I did. I mean, I feel it's rather disrespectful to say I've been mean to her all day, but not tell me what I did, even when I ask her about it.

I went to pick up my paycheck yesterday and I Janet was there so I gave her the letter, and she finally told me it was my "smart comment." I was still clueless and she told me it was when I said "it's not like I'm picking my nose."

Okay, what happened was we were working on the sub line, making sandwiches. We're supposed to wear gloves, but my hands are REALLY small and my workplace only has medium and large gloves. I wash my hands a lot, because I do care about spreading germs. I was about to make a sandwich, and I had just washed my hands, and she told me,

"I see you're not wearing gloves."
I told her, "I just washed my hands, I haven't touched anything dirty."
She said, "You can't make subs without wearing gloves."
I said, "I can't make subs when I am wearing gloves."

I said this because my hands really are too small for the gloves. There is about a half inch of extra space between the tips of my fingers and the gloves, and that does cause a problem when making the subs. It takes about 5 times longer to take the slices of cheese apart, and it takes longer to take the lids off the containers with the vegetables. We also use color-coded stickers the cashiers use to check the prices of the sandwiches and it's harder to get it on the bag when I'm wearing gloves, and some sandwiches (I think the burritos) have to be wrapped in a different way and TAPED and tape just sticks to gloves. Doesn't work AT ALL. Stickers don't hold it shut either, it HAS to be tape.

Well I can't remember what she said after that, but I remember saying "It's not like I'm picking my nose." I said that NOT in a smartass tone, simply to imply, what's the point in washing your hands if you have to wear gloves, or what's the point in wearing gloves if you have to wash your hands? My hands are clean.

However I didn't want to get in trouble or yelled at, so I put the gloves on (she said something about policies and regulations so I'm like okay...) and I apologized to the customer who I had to make a sub for because it did take a lot longer that it had too. And some days we are very busy, and we're constantly doing stuff and every second counts and we don't have time to be picking apart the same piece of cheese!

I'm not the type of person who would be mean to anybody. I can't even kill a spider. And I HATE spiders. I can get along with anybody. Even if our beliefs are totally different and we disagree about something, I can politely debate something without being mean. And to say I've been mean ALL DAY? I think THAT was mean.

And also this week, I'm working zero hours. I wonder if this has anything to do with Janet and her "Allie's being mean to me" bit.

What do you guys think? Have you ever had a problem like this? Do you think I should quit? I think I'm going to.

Jojee
08-11-2007, 08:37 PM
Yeah, I'd say definitely. Sounds like a bunch of stuck up biatches, both Janet and your boss. :]

Polaris
08-11-2007, 08:37 PM
I never really worked! But if they're making up stuff about you and she's untouchable I'd quit BUT before find a new job! ^^

Rengori
08-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Everyone quits their first job, and these people sound like a bunch of jerks, like Jojee said. And you should quit, getting fired will look worse.

Renmiri
08-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Yeah, I'd say definitely. Sounds like a bunch of stuck up biatches, both Janet and your boss. :]

QFT!!!

I'd look for less neurotic people! :)

rubah
08-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Seriously. They've got their own little circle going on there, and you won't be happy, because if you finally do fit in, that means you've given up and become like them :p

(we didn't wear gloves where I worked for my first job. We just could not touch a single part of our bodies (I felt guilty about touching my hair and face for weeks after i quit xD) and had to wash our hands immediately if we did, but they said it was more sanitary, because if you do touch things, the bacteria or whatever will get to teh food whether you're gloved or not :p)

(also hi, I am also an Allie :O)

Old Manus
08-11-2007, 09:01 PM
If you have a photocopier there, you and some fellow dudes must take it into a field and smash it apart with baseball bats, for great justice.

demondude
08-11-2007, 09:06 PM
Before you quit Make a few more subs right next to janet whilst picking you're nose on purpose. :D

Agent Proto
08-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Before you decide to quit your job, make sure that you have an idea of what you can do afterwards.

Might I also add that you should ask to your superior whether it should be okay for you to work without gloves before simply doing so. While it may be true that you wash your hands clean very regularly, it doesn't mean that it's 100% clean, and there are some customers that do care whether you wear gloves when you prepare their sandwich for them. Ask whether it's okay, just don't assume it's fine since the hands may be too small for the gloves.

But then again, what should I know. Anyway, I'd say you should work till the next paycheck. If anything happens between now and then, or you notice something fishy, call it quits.

Fonzie
08-11-2007, 09:29 PM
I'd recommend looking around to make sure you have a place to get a job at, then quit the current job.

Jessweeee♪
08-11-2007, 10:31 PM
I'd try and find a new job as fast as possible so you can quit before you're fired. Being fired from your first job won't make you look very good :spin:

BardTard
08-11-2007, 10:56 PM
Seriously. They've got their own little circle going on there, and you won't be happy, because if you finally do fit in, that means you've given up and become like them :p

(we didn't wear gloves where I worked for my first job. We just could not touch a single part of our bodies (I felt guilty about touching my hair and face for weeks after i quit xD) and had to wash our hands immediately if we did, but they said it was more sanitary, because if you do touch things, the bacteria or whatever will get to teh food whether you're gloved or not :p)

(also hi, I am also an Allie :O)

I was in food services the last 2 years at my high school and we had to follow the same rules. No touching, scratching, rubbing, or any human contact whatsoever with yourself or anybody else.

And hi Allie! I think I already knew that...

:mog: :choc: :moomba: :choc2:

Goldenboko
08-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Whats wrong with you guys? Why are we posting serious threads in GC now?

KentaRawr!
08-11-2007, 11:03 PM

So we can get away with this.

Of course, now the word "This" is meaningless in the last sentence because I'm now going to contribute to the topic at hand. :p

I'd say quit, as others said, because with the course you're going right now, you're bound to be fired. And if you aren't, work will pretty much suck. So find a job as soon as you can and quit.

Shiny
08-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Yes. You should quit your job, start smoking weed, work out, and have sex with your daughter's best friend. Ofcourse, you don't really need to do any of those things besides quit your job. I was watching American Beauty last night...

BardTard
08-12-2007, 12:02 AM
I don't have a daughter. And I'm getting my tubes tied so I don't have one.

Leen-Leen
08-12-2007, 12:43 AM
You shouldn't have to be going through that kind of trouble when you did nothing wrong. You should quit. But, yeah, first look around for another job, so you'll have something else to go to when/if you do quit.

Wolf Kanno
08-12-2007, 09:07 AM
I know how you feel, I've been thinking about looking for a new job as well since my management has gone all crazy on me and most of the people I like working with are quitting by the fold.

I would look around and actually try to get another job before you quit. It's much more satisfying to know you have somewhere to go. I've quit plenty of jobs in my time and I will say you don't want to deal with looking for a job while being unemployed (still in debt because of that:mad: ). Anyway, good luck and tell those stuck up wenches to go smurf themselves when you finally quit. No one likes dealing with cliques...

Ramza Beoulve
08-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Well, I'll go with everyone and tell you to quit soon, but first search for a new job, and question them about their policies before accepting it. About your trouble with "Kathi" and "Janet", well, just be yourself. Maybe she has trouble with you because you are a nice and excellent person, and she doesn't. If still the problem continues, defend yourself when needed, and don't take them seriously. But yeah, find a new job, with a boss and co-workers that care for you also.

The Mog Ninja
08-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Quit.

Rye
08-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Heya~ :]

I had a job in fast food, and I quit after 2 days, I absolutely could not handle it. Also, the fact that I was the only person there who didn't speak Spanish made things difficult as well, as well as the fact that the managers were rather nasty. I think it's a fast food thing, honestly.

It took me a few months after to find another job, but now I have a job in retail at TJ Maxx, and have had it for about two months and I'm much MUCH happier. The people are tons nicer, the managers are nicer, and it's a much more comfortable atmosphere.

So in short, yes, I think you should quit, but if you're not planning on quitting NOW, it might help to apply to some places before then.

fallen_angel9000
08-13-2007, 02:01 AM
i would quit because the boss and janet are rude, and because i could keep my dignity instead of getting fired. but sometimes you shouldnt quit just because someone's being an ass to you. its all up to you =]

Chimp
08-13-2007, 03:20 AM
tl;dr

Yes.

Værn
08-13-2007, 03:53 AM
I don't see why you should quit your job just because of one person. Tell your boss the whole story, maybe file a complaint to have them buy smaller gloves... if you don't have another job, and if you need the money you're getting from it, it wouldn't be wise to quit.
If you really want to get away from her, what you need to do is start looking for every tiny thing you can find, as irrelevant as they may be, and complain to your boss about them. Eventually one of you is going to be fired, and this way of going out gives you at least a slight chance of keeping your job while getting rid of Janet at the same time.

rubah
08-13-2007, 04:23 AM
Nitpicking about the boss's friend is probably a sure-fire way to get fired, vaern.

Jessweeee♪
08-13-2007, 05:04 AM

So we don't have large debates that shift to another topic completely :spin:

Værn
08-13-2007, 07:06 AM
Nitpicking about the boss's friend is probably a sure-fire way to get fired, vaern.

I don't see why you should quit your job just because of one person. Tell your boss the whole story, maybe file a complaint to have them buy smaller gloves... if you don't have another job, and if you need the money you're getting from it, it wouldn't be wise to quit.
If you really want to get away from her, what you need to do is start looking for every tiny thing you can find, as irrelevant as they may be, and complain to your boss about them. Eventually one of you is going to be fired, and this way of going out gives you at least a slight chance of keeping your job while getting rid of Janet at the same time.
I fail to see where I neglected to mention the probability of failure.

I spent a half hour typing a thorough post on six different possible options and their possible outcomes just to make sure that any points I had to make were clear... and my computer crashed on me. I'm not going to retype it D=< (at least not at 2 AM, anyway)
One point that I made in the post was that one or two people that you have to work with being jerks, a glove issue, and/or some combination of the two wouldn't the best reasons to quit. I can at least manage to retype that much without falling asleep. I'll try remembering what I said in the long post after some sleep.

Arc_Master_14
08-13-2007, 07:16 AM
for one do you live in Napa with all the stuck up Valley Girls cuz Janet Sure sounds like one.... on a more serious note you probably shouldnt quit just do to the glove issue as Vaern has said or just because Janet said that you were being mean to her maybe she just took something good the wrong way it happens to me wayyyy too much I try to say something nice and well it happens that it offends them

Jojee
08-13-2007, 07:21 AM
No, that's where you go wrong. Eventually no one needs to be fired, because she can just quit. And considering:

I talked to Kathi, my boss again after that. She then told me that Janet is her right hand woman or something like that, and she's not going to fire her. She told me if Janet has a problem with anybody, they would be leaving, not Janet.

I'd say quitting's the much better option. People quit jobs all the time; getting fired looks bad for you.