PDA

View Full Version : So, what do you think of the character Raiden, from MGS2?

KentaRawr!
08-13-2007, 01:25 AM
Yeah, what do you think of Raiden in MGS2?

As for me, I think he's a pretty cool character. Whiny at times, but I wouldn't call him hate worthy. Lots of people seem to really dislike him for some reason. I do prefer Snake over him, though. Not really sure why. His character really did accentuate the feeling of being clueless, though, which could be good or bad. >_> Also, he's turned into a cyborg Ninja man! ;D

So, your thoughts on Raiden?

Captain Maxx Power
08-13-2007, 01:32 AM
Imagine they made Evil Dead Four, and replaced Bruce Campbell with Sean William Scott. Yeah...

Kirobaito
08-13-2007, 03:16 AM
I find the biggest reason people don't like Raiden is because he's just not Snake.

I didn't really mind him, but Snake would have been better.

Bolivar
08-13-2007, 04:11 AM
I find the biggest reason people don't like Raiden is because he's just not Snake.

I didn't really mind him, but Snake would have been better.

True. He's no Snake but he's not bad. MGS2 was a fun game.

Slothy
08-13-2007, 05:21 AM

Agreed.

I liked him, and frankly, I don't think the story would have worked as well without him. Yeah he wasn't Snake, but it was still the same great gameplay.

I also have to give Kojima credit for just how far he went in keeping Raiden a secret. I mean going so far as to put Snake in videos of parts that were during Raiden's section of the game. Nobody saw it coming, and I think that actually makes me lke Raiden more.

ReloadPsi
08-13-2007, 04:05 PM
No-handed cartwheel that knocks enemies downstairs = win. Raiden-bashing got so bad on gameadvice.com that they actually had to enforce rules about posting to slag the guy off.

It was extremely silly of Konami to start making fun of him in MGS3 as well. That goddamn game made enough fun of itself with The Boss' costume and trusty steed, and the James Bond intro song, as well as that retarded ladder-climbing scene where we hear it again *pukes on the floor, then grabs a stick and writes in the puke vowing never to play MGS3 again* but going back on itself to insult Raiden in some sad attempt to save face for how many people rejected the guy... I dunno, were they trying to say "You think Raiden was bad? Check out some of the stupid gimmicks in this game!"

A wiseacre who's gonna kick some ass, eh? Well, his new partially cyborg thing is pretty damn cool, even cooler than a no-handed cartwheel that knock enemies downstairs.

JKTrix
08-13-2007, 05:06 PM
Kojima said (http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3150669) that we'll all love Raiden by the end of MGS4, because he knew people didn't like him for stupid reasons after MGS2. Heck, that one MGS3 trailer made fun of Raiden quite a bit.

They look like they're working really hard to build Raiden up. It's likely that if the Metal Gear series continues, it will be with Raiden methinks.

Metal Gear Raiden. Heh.

I think Raiden is a-ok.

Dreddz
08-13-2007, 07:53 PM
I didnt mind him. You cant help but find that people are just joking around when they say they dislike him, I have yet to hear a legitimate reason to hate Raiden. I think people are just clutching too hard to Snake.

Big D
08-13-2007, 11:49 PM
Raiden was a neat character, and the details of his story gave the game a whole different perspective from the previous installment. You get to see Snake from an external perspective, seeing him through another man's eyes. It's kind of like Big Boss - you get to know about the 'legendary soldier' in Metal Gear Solid, but in MGS3 you get to experience him first-hand, and there's a big difference in what you come to understand about him.
Since Raiden's almost total newbie too (as far as he knows), the mission doesn't feel like a "ho-hum, been there, done that" deal.

And isn't there just something cool about fighting alongside Snake, giving him support and cover during the most intense shootout in the game? Kind of like in Syphon Filter 4, where the last level requires your 'new recruit' character to give backup to Logan, the lead character from the previous three games.

Edit: Thinking back on it, the MGS series has a strong history of characters who have been absolutely pooed on by society, their superiors, the government, and basically everything that's ever happened in their lives. Frank Jaeger/Null/Gray Fox has had the most raw deal of any characters, easily; next to him, Raiden's probably had to deal with the most crap. The way he overcame that, and fought back against all the lies and manipulation, makes him a fairly impressive character. "Strength" isn't just about being fearless, nor it is simply a measure of how many guns you can fire at the same time.

Maxico
08-14-2007, 12:24 AM
It was extremely silly of Konami to start making fun of him in MGS3 as well. That goddamn game made enough fun of itself with The Boss' costume and trusty steed, and the James Bond intro song, as well as that retarded ladder-climbing scene where we hear it again *pukes on the floor, then grabs a stick and writes in the puke vowing never to play MGS3 again* but going back on itself to insult Raiden in some sad attempt to save face for how many people rejected the guy... I dunno, were they trying to say "You think Raiden was bad? Check out some of the stupid gimmicks in this game!"

When has MGS not made fun of itself? The entire series is a self parody and the sheer fact that Kojima made every player spend 5 minutes climbing a ladder to the games over the top, James Bond style theme tune is, in my opinion, one of the funniest things he's ever done.

Raiden was done in full knowledge of how he was going be recieved, otherwise they wouldn't have had the 'President cops a feel' scene.

Again, I find the fact that they managed to get the audience to think they're going to play as gruff action hero extraordinaire, Solid Snake, and instead suddenly switch to the femmine Raiden, who's support team contains his girlfriend who wont stop asking if he remembers their anniversary, to be pretty goddamn funny.

Kojima's complete lack of respect for his audience is probably the reason I find him so enduring. Hell, Otacon is an unashamed running parody of his audience.
"It's just like one of my japanese anime's"

Kojima is a very twisted, very funny man.

Wolf Kanno
08-14-2007, 07:32 AM
I like Raiden, and to be honest I think if Rosemary's role had been slightly changed he would not have come off so whiny but even then, I feel his personality quirks are largly over exaggerated by fuming fanboys. I like MGS 2 for the very reason that Big D mentions in his post. Kojima said in an interview that the point of Raiden was being able to experience Snake from a new perspective. I felt it worked beautifully and we got a new character out of it.

I like Snake better but more cause I prefer the insight of a veteran in terms of the story's theme of war and the soldiers perspective. Even then, I hope to listen to Raiden tell stories of his days as a child soldier. I found that incredibly intriguing about him and would love more expansion about it.

blackmage_nuke
08-14-2007, 10:35 AM
Well he's okay besides his weird looks (hair and crouched over running)

Bolivar
08-14-2007, 07:17 PM
No-handed cartwheel that knocks enemies downstairs = win. Raiden-bashing got so bad on gameadvice.com that they actually had to enforce rules about posting to slag the guy off.

A wiseacre who's gonna kick some ass, eh? Well, his new partially cyborg thing is pretty damn cool, even cooler than a no-handed cartwheel that knock enemies downstairs.

I always thought the fact that it was an intensely serious game, that at the same time didn't take itself too serious, is why MGS3 is such a great experience.

demondude
08-14-2007, 07:24 PM
For me It's hard to like a character when you're forced to look at his bony behind for an important part of the game. :(

Psychotic
08-15-2007, 02:35 AM
Raiden's cool enough. Yeah, he's not Snake, but then again, who is?

Also, Doppelganger, how can you NOT love the Snake Eater song?!