PDA

View Full Version : UK Train

Craig
08-13-2007, 06:41 PM
Can someone explain this whole train thing to me because I need to get a train from Bristol to London on wednesday and I'm going alone and I've never been on a train before.

I'm absolutely pooping myself.

Sergeant Hartman
08-13-2007, 06:45 PM
Expect it to arrive late.

Old Manus
08-13-2007, 07:16 PM
You buy a train ticket to London at Bristol, then get on that train. Get off at London.

Rye
08-13-2007, 07:18 PM
I've never been on a British train, but I'd imagine they're just like the trains in New York, and in that case, they're so fun.

Here, you can buy a ticket at a booth, or you can use a kind of touch-screen ATM sort of machine where you put in what kind of ticket you want, one way or round trip, how many people, etc, which is pretty easy. Then you board on and relax until they call your stop. And even if you have your iPod in or something, it's no matter here (and I would imagine there too), because they have a big screen in the front that says the stop. And of course, you feel the train stopping. :]

The subway here is quite a bit harder. It makes me feel like a total tourist nub. :[

Craig
08-13-2007, 07:33 PM
You buy a train ticket to London at Bristol, then get on that train. Get off at London.

And how do I know when I'm at the right place, smartass.

P.S Thanks Rye

Old Manus
08-13-2007, 07:35 PM

And how do I know when I'm at the right place, smartass.

P.S Thanks RyeThe driver will tell you on the speakers. Also signs.

Baloki
08-13-2007, 07:38 PM
Can someone explain this whole train thing to me because I need to get a train from Bristol to London on wednesday and I'm going alone and I've never been on a train before.

I'm absolutely pooping myself.

And now the internet saves you again:

National Rail Enquiries - Official source for rail information, UK train times and timetables (http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/)

Also check the signs for which platform to get the train on, make sure you're at the right London station and get there early and expect the train to be late, easy-peasy?

*moves to Help Forum and closes*

Dreddz
08-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Long distance train rides across the UK are easy to bunk, my advice is not to buy a train ticket. If there are ticket inspectors say you got on at the last stop you were at. Only do this however if your train terminates at either London Bridge or Victoria ( as you can buy a ticket there and lie about where you came from ). Its likely your train will terminate at Euston, in which case do not bunk.

Hard to think you've never been on a train, I ride a train almost daily, without them I'd have to get *gulp* the bus.

Cz
08-13-2007, 08:27 PM
Unless you're going on a particularly unusual route, your train should stop at Paddington station, which is at the end of the line. You won't need to worry about getting off at the right stop.

There really is that much to be concerned about. Just make sure to turn up on time, since trains are more punctual than people think. If you've booked a ticket, then you've got no problems. If not, allow yourself plenty of time to buy one. You should be able to walk right up to the ticket office and buy a ticket for the next train, since I can't imagine many seats will have been booked. The train ought to be almost empty, so sit wherever you want. Really, as long as you don't miss your train completely, you've got nothing to worry about.

Craig
08-13-2007, 08:39 PM
So I don't have to buy a ticket online, I can waltz into the train station in bristol and by a ticket from someone?

And how likely is it that I'll get mugged when I'm there? Silly question probably, but my parents are trying to talk me out of it.

Psychotic
08-13-2007, 09:21 PM
And how do I know when I'm at the right place, smartass.Most trains have an LED display telling you the next stop. The driver will also announce it over the loudspeaker when you're approaching a station, and if you look out of the window, each station carries a fuckload of signs indicating which station you're at in huge lettering. No worries whatsoever.
So I don't have to buy a ticket online, I can waltz into the train station in bristol and by a ticket from someone?Yes. There'll be signs indicating where to buy one.
And how likely is it that I'll get mugged when I'm there? Silly question probably, but my parents are trying to talk me out of it.In broad daylight? Not very likely at all, especially if you don't go flaunting an iPod around. I think your chances would be the same as in Bristol, or any major city to be honest. I'd be much more concerned about pickpockets if I were you. When I went to London recently I kept my hands in my pockets when in crowds, and I came out okay. Just be aware of your surroundings.

Comet
08-13-2007, 09:26 PM
There is 95% you will get mugged.

Cz
08-13-2007, 09:33 PM
London's not as bad as people think. I've lived here all my life and only ever run in to trouble once, and I live in one of the worst parts of town. As long as you exercise common sense you'll be perfectly fine. Like Psy says, you should be more worried about pickpocketing than mugging, but neither is a particularly common occurrence.

Oh, and although it's a bit late now, you might want to try booking a ticket online for future trips, since you can get a much cheaper journey if you book a couple of weeks in advance.

Dreddz
08-13-2007, 09:38 PM
As long as you dont wander too far south ( or east for that matter ) you should be cool in London. West London is likely where you will be heading and I wouldnt worry too much about being mugged there. London's crowds are beneficial in a way. And unless they have a gun or knife, fight back in any case. I just dont get it when people so easily hand over there belongings to something maybe only an inch bigger than them.

Im also in the same situation an Cz, Ive lived here all my life and in a particulary bad area in Southwark and have rarely been in any trouble. Be street wise my friend.

Iceglow
08-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Psy don't potty mouth London too much.

Craig, I've lived in London all my life, I've never been successfully mugged that isn't to say that it's never been tried I've had 4 attempted muggings now, 1 I was in school still the other 3 were post 16. My advice should you carry your I-pod keep it hidden also sometimes buying cheapo black headphones works wonders since I-pod headphones are white and pretty distinct. Also be careful at ATMs watch your pin and try to use Barclays/HSBC/Nationwide Link ones if possible they're the hardest to install forgery devices on. Most ATMs in Central London will dispense 10s and 20s like normal however on a weekend expect 20s only to be available it's better to withdraw less and go more than once if needs be. Put the money straight in a pocket/wallet whist folding it to keep the number of notes disguised and be wary of anyone behind you male or female. Far more likely to get mugged after using a cash point than anywhere else. Use common sense you'll be fine, also try not to look afraid of gangs of youths because most muggers in London are opportunists if you look easy they'll go for it. Just if someone pulls a weapon don't be a hero just give them the stuff nothing you own is worth dying for and since you hear of crap like people being killed for £5.50 or so don't risk it. I'd still advise against going down dark alleys/side-streets in central London late at night however.

As for the Train if it's a return journey I suggest asking for a "Saver Return" ticket at the station far cheaper than any other type of return it can be brought at the ticket office and I'm pretty certain student cards are accepted too a child/student rate one could cost as little as £20 for Bristol to London. www.Thetrainline.com can be of more help there. Plan the journey also look at the tube map to see what connections you need to make because the underground is pretty confusing even to seasoned travelers, though nice people like myself or London underground staff will help you if you ask, though since most Londoners by nature are not nice people ask tube staff it's their job to help you.

As a side note London is increasingly better policed if you wish to make your parents more at rest tell them this. We've got large numbers of PCSOs and Police officers in all major areas/problem areas they've even started riding/patrolling the tubes and buses and parks too late at night to prevent muggings there. You can always ask a police officer for directions and also if you're lost and see a mini-cab office you can always ask them for directions they won't mind if they offer a cab it's up to you.

All in all, London is great multicultural society and the nice parts I wouldn't change for the world but the crap parts will forever be what makes London a crock of crap and since it's so old the good and the bad areas are often on top of each other.

This was written just after psy's post in this thread but yeah agreed with CZ and Dreddz. Also like I say, 90% or more of the time you can just put up a little front, make yourself look confident and self assured and people leave you alone it's when you look nervous/scared they go for you.

Psychotic
08-13-2007, 10:15 PM
Psy don't potty mouth London too much.
I think your chances would be the same as in Bristol, or any major city to be honest.You're the one doing the scaremongering! :p I'd have said exactly the same if he was going to Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester etc.

Zeldy
08-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Ive never gotten a train to London, but I have to Manchester and Liverpool. It isnt hard, just make sure you have the right ticket for the right train. You know when your stop is as it says "Next stop ____" or you just look out the window and see the station. It'll be obvious to see London :p

Get on early too, I can imagine a train to London being bloody hectic. Its horrible when you have to stand up. There arnt any LED signs on the trains Ive been on :(

Dreddz
08-13-2007, 10:24 PM
Use common sense you'll be fine, also try not to look afraid of gangs of youths because most muggers in London are opportunists if you look easy they'll go for it.

Another piece of advice I'd recommend, gangs go for you if your too blatant avoiding them.

We've got large numbers of PCSOs and Police officers in all major areas/problem areas they've even started riding/patrolling the tubes and buses and parks too late at night to prevent muggings there.

Considering Londons size, your not likely to have a police car around the corner ready to help you when your getting mugged, their usually somewhere else. Its no different than any other city really.

All in all, London is great multicultural society and the nice parts I wouldn't change for the world but the crap parts will forever be what makes London a crock of crap and since it's so old the good and the bad areas are often on top of each other.

Thats something unusual I noticed as well. I was in Holborn a few days ago and randomly came across a large set of estates right in between some office blocks. At least they live in a pretty good part of London.

Shlup
08-13-2007, 11:05 PM
...People actually ride trains to places? Wacky!

Iceglow
08-13-2007, 11:18 PM

but they don't sing the same song Selphie does in FF8 :cry:

Maxico
08-14-2007, 12:05 AM

I've always wondered about this. Does America just not have a proper rail network or something? If you're going to one city from another city is driving the only option?

Also, yeah, London's a city, not a warzone. Unless you feel compelled to walk through an estate with big white headphone on then you probably don't have too much to worry about.

As for trains, you've really never been on a train before?

Here's a step by step guide:

1. Go to ticket office, ask for a ticket to London. If you're coming back the same day, buy a 'return' ticket, otherwise buy a 'single' ticket.
2. Look at the big boards somewhere in the station that display information about the trains. Find a train that is going to London, find out its destination and depature time and go to that platform at roughly that time.
3. Buy a magazine or a book or something.
4. Read said magazine or book or something while you journey.
5. All roads lead to London, so the station you arrive at will almost certainly be the last stop on the line. Eitherway there are signs on the platform you arrive at that will tell you where they are. You'll probably arrive at Paddington/Kings Cross/Victoria/Waterloo or something.

Also you're probably going to have to take another train (GASP) or bus to get to where ever you're going in London, and the London underground is more complicated than the national rail.

You've seriously never been on a train before? That's just weird. I just explained to someone who is apparantly a 19 year old, something I learnt when I was about 4. How do you get about?

Hambone
08-14-2007, 12:08 AM
Do not ride the train. They are REALLY slow. :)

Baloki
08-14-2007, 12:33 AM

but they don't sing the same song Selphie does in FF8 :cry:

Not in your world maybe but I've done my fair bit of singing :)

Shoeberto
08-14-2007, 02:12 AM
I've always wondered about this. Does America just not have a proper rail network or something? If you're going to one city from another city is driving the only option?
Basically. There's railroads, but they're mostly used for freight transport. The only places that really have commuter trains are some bigger cities, with subways and such. Otherwise you're stuck driving.

rubah
08-14-2007, 02:18 AM
America is a lot bigger than [most]european countries with good transportation systems.

ReloadPsi
08-14-2007, 02:20 AM
I expected a thread about how badly the train service sucks in the UK.

Rengori
08-14-2007, 03:38 AM
Basically. There's railroads, but they're mostly used for freight transport. The only places that really have commuter trains are some bigger cities, with subways and such. Otherwise you're stuck driving.

There's also flying, but no matter how bad UK trains may seem from some posts in this thread, the airlines will be worse.

tidus_rox
08-14-2007, 03:38 AM
lol I have honestly never been on a train. I usually just fly everywhere. Sometimes I drive to my destination, however that rarely occurs.