PDA

View Full Version : Bioshock Thread

Fonzie
08-13-2007, 07:01 PM
So, yeah this game looks amazing, and I'm downloading the demo right now. 13% xD

Anyone else looking for this game?

Dreddz
08-13-2007, 07:41 PM
The moment I heard Bioshock was being made by the same team that brought us System Shock 2 I knew I had to get this game. While im still buying the game im not liking some of the gameplay ideas they are using though. Too much emphasis on magic in my opinion.

JKTrix
08-13-2007, 08:08 PM
'bout time you made the thread :P I mentioned the Bioshock demo in a different thread, but I figured I'd leave it to The Fonz to make an actual thread about the game.

Can't wait to try the demo. I haven't played any of the 'Shock' games so I couldn't really understand why people were excited for it, so I was always kind of damp on the enthusiasm. And the Big Daddys looked kind of stupid, so I didn't really care. I know it's different from the other games, but I'm looking forward to checking this out.

Dragonsoul
08-14-2007, 05:38 AM
I'm researching this more today. I was turned off a little by hearing that it was more a 1st person shooter than a 1st person rpg(like Oblivion). I want tons of rpg elements! Let me research this.

p.s. I'm this Persona 3 url now...
YouTube - Persona 3 Intro (http://youtube.com/watch?v=tzHpCOPsVbo)
Persona 3 Intro video

EDIT:
How many hours long is Bioshock?! If it's short(under 30 hours) I might get it(busy with FF XII and Oblivion right now).

On another note: How many hours long is SHIN MEGAMEI TENSEI: PERSONA 3 with...
1. No sidequests
2. Most sidequests(besides extremely long ones)
3. All sidequests done

Also, those three questions can be applied to Bioshock. I'll rent Persona 3 in a few days, if I like it I'll buy it, I don't think I will though. I'll rent Bioshock, not sure if I'll buy it though. I'm currently researching Mass Effect also.

Spammerman
08-14-2007, 07:03 AM
FLIPPIN AWESOME. in the demo they give you a revolver, tommy gun, and electricity power.in the first bathroom after you get the revolver on the right you can find the fire spell. It also shows a big daddy and little sister. My friend actually had me play it at the same time as him and made me do everything first and tell him what happened over xbox live.

Dragonsoul
08-14-2007, 07:31 AM
I'm currently researching this but do you know how long the game is gonna be? I'm hoping for 15-25 hours in length, so I have more chance to play it. I'm still not sure if I like this genre though I like Oblivion.

Oblivion is a first person rpg set in a medieval fantasy world, game length between 15 and 400 hours

Bioshock is a first person shooter with rpg elements set in a Cult of Rapture setting, length might be 10-30 hours? :)

Captain Maxx Power
08-14-2007, 12:45 PM
O yeah, and this game will rock.

EDIT: I HATE YOU ALL WITH 360'S!

Slothy
08-14-2007, 01:21 PM
I'll be buying this as soon as I look up the system specs and see if my computer will run it. Actually, I'll probably buy it anyway and just wait until I have a computer that can run it, or perhaps play it on one of my friends computers (he has two that'd probably run it full specs without trouble).

This looks to be one of the most unique and original games in years and I can't wait.

Spammerman
08-14-2007, 06:16 PM
WHEN DOES IT COME OUT?

Odaisé Gaelach
08-14-2007, 07:42 PM
I'm really, really looking forward to Bioshock. I absolutely loved System Shock 2 (though 1 not as much). If it's anything as good as its spiritual predecessors I'm happy. :D

Fonzie
08-14-2007, 08:03 PM
Just got done with the demo, and Lightning + plus water = awesome.

It comes out August 21st.

Rase
08-14-2007, 11:21 PM
I envy everyone with the capabilities to play this game like you all will never know. I also really hope that someone in college has the game or gets it.

Dragonsoul
08-15-2007, 07:19 AM
The interest is high for this game, but is Mass Effect more popular? I think so, not sure yet though. I'll get the demo for this and rent it, not sure if I'll buy it. Tentatively I don't have it planned to beat it, just rent it. How long will it be?

Madame Adequate
08-15-2007, 05:51 PM
My router won't let my 360 online for some reason. So I'm waiting for the PC demo.

Dragonsoul: Mass Effect has a lot of hype as well, but I don't think it's at Bioshock levels of anticipation for the most part. I'm very much looking forward to both games.

JKTrix
08-15-2007, 06:53 PM
Yeah, it's a little hard to gauge the anticipation levels between the two games. I've honestly seen more hype over Mass Effect, but that's to be expected since it's a MSoft published game and has the money to show it off. I imagine that with Bioshock's official release next week (though some people might be able to get it right now (http://the7gamers.com/2007/08/14/bioshock-early-release/)) the 360 hype will shift even more in Mass Effect's favour.

Among the Game Geeks, particularly folks who've played System Shock (not me), they likely care more about Bioshock.

Finally finished the download after 2 days of online-offline-hopping-every-two-minutes. Gonna play the demo when I get home...while nursing my Katamari demo.

Dragonsoul
08-16-2007, 07:58 AM
Please give me info on the demo. Mass Effect won't be out till Nov(probably 20th) but has extreme hype right now.

Where can I find sales charts for each week please? I'm looking for something like Box Office Mojo (http://www.boxofficemojo.com) but for video games. :)

How is the demo?

Rostum
08-16-2007, 09:14 AM
Is the demo out for PC?

By the way, for anyone interested in the art and design of video games, you can check out a free Bioshock Artbook (http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/artbook.html).

I thought this game looked amazing when I first saw it, and my PC should run it just fine.

JKTrix
08-16-2007, 12:46 PM
PC demo not out yet.

I've still barely played the 360 demo, but I had my older cousin over last night and he played through the whole thing. He had a big smile on his face the entire time. He typically doesn't like shooters, and he was actually scared to do certain things, but he was smiling for the whole half hour he played it.

You only get 2 'plasmids' in the demo, but reading the stuff after the demo said that there will be 70 plasmids! That's a lot! Unless they just do 'stronger lightning' type spells, then I guess that's kinda cheap. But I saw a few of those things in the video after the demo.

One part, he threw a grenade or a mine or something on the ground, then used a plasmid to project a doppleganger where it was. One enemy rushed the doppleganger and was immediately blown to bits by the mine.

There's a telekenesis one too. At one point, it looked like someone shot a rocket at him, and he used telekenesis to stop the rocket and throw it back.

So it looks like you can use the plasmids in combos as well. You can use the telekenisis to lift someone up in the air, then set them on fire, then just leave them suspended, helpless, and toasty. Or, if you set someone on fire and there's water nearby, they will jump into the water to douse the fire. At this point, you can throw a lightning bolt at the water and fry them. Awesome.

Fonzie
08-16-2007, 03:21 PM
PC demo not out yet.

I've still barely played the 360 demo, but I had my older cousin over last night and he played through the whole thing. He had a big smile on his face the entire time. He typically doesn't like shooters, and he was actually scared to do certain things, but he was smiling for the whole half hour he played it.

You only get 2 'plasmids' in the demo, but reading the stuff after the demo said that there will be 70 plasmids! That's a lot! Unless they just do 'stronger lightning' type spells, then I guess that's kinda cheap. But I saw a few of those things in the video after the demo.

One part, he threw a grenade or a mine or something on the ground, then used a plasmid to project a doppleganger where it was. One enemy rushed the doppleganger and was immediately blown to bits by the mine.

There's a telekenesis one too. At one point, it looked like someone shot a rocket at him, and he used telekenesis to stop the rocket and throw it back.

So it looks like you can use the plasmids in combos as well. You can use the telekenisis to lift someone up in the air, then set them on fire, then just leave them suspended, helpless, and toasty. Or, if you set someone on fire and there's water nearby, they will jump into the water to douse the fire. At this point, you can throw a lightning bolt at the water and fry them. Awesome.

You can force jump people, they land in the spot you chose and when they touch it they get launched into the air. Anger plasmid, that makes people or things into a frenzy and kill anything they see. Security plasmid, that makes people get targeted by the Security system.

KentaRawr!
08-16-2007, 03:35 PM
*Sigh*

I need an X-Box 360.

JKTrix
08-16-2007, 06:47 PM
I heard through the grapevine that Bioshock PC is going to be available through Steam. You can apparently buy it now and start the pre-loading, so you can play it the second 08/21 rolls around.

Yamaneko
08-16-2007, 07:40 PM
BioShock gets Steamed, also heading Direct2Drive - Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/16/bioshock-gets-steamed-also-heading-direct2drive/)

JKTrix
08-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Wicked. I didn't see it on any of my usual sources, so I wasn't too sure about it (else I would have linked it). I might actually go for the PC version.

Dragonsoul
08-16-2007, 09:44 PM

This guy doesn't like first person shooters but enjoyed it a lot? I don't like first person shooters too much, maybe I'll check it out more. By the way, Persona 3 should arrive in the mail to me maybe tomorrow in a rental. Are you the one who recommended it to me? Do you have it?

I'll rent Bioshock a week from now, tentatively I won't buy it or beat it.

I want to see more gameplay footage of Mass Effect. I'm pretty happy right now because I'm playing a lot of Final Fantasy XII. In earlier months I was sidetracked by Rogue Galaxy and Oblivion but now I am back to a game I love much more! And I'm also real excited because I'll be getting Alundra 1 in a few weeks!!! :)

I might go see Superbad tomorrow, it's a great time for me right now!

Madame Adequate
08-16-2007, 09:53 PM
I heard through the grapevine that Bioshock PC is going to be available through Steam. You can apparently buy it now and start the pre-loading, so you can play it the second 08/21 rolls around.

o snaps

*Cancel Amazon preorder, purchase Steam version*

3 days earlier makes me happy happy happy!

Dragonsoul
08-16-2007, 11:27 PM
This game I am wondering about. What exactly makes Bioshock and rpg? Where are the rpg elements? I'm researching this right now. Please explain it for me. I'm on the Bioshock website watching videos and this looks like a first person shooter. :)

I might buy it! :eek:!!

Madame Adequate
08-17-2007, 01:27 AM
This game I am wondering about. What exactly makes Bioshock and rpg? Where are the rpg elements? I'm researching this right now. Please explain it for me. I'm on the Bioshock website watching videos and this looks like a first person shooter. :)

I might buy it! :eek:!!

Well, yeah, it's from a FP perspective, and it has shooting elements, but the idea is to allow the player to make the character be pretty much anything they want, and to play the story in a freeform way with variable results depending on how you act in the game.

Dragonsoul
08-17-2007, 06:38 AM
So the rpg elements are the plasmids that you use to genetically enhance yourself? What are the other rpg elements?

I'll rent this game, not sure if I have the money to buy it, I wonder if I'll beat it. How many hours is the game with and without the sidequests? :)