PDA

View Full Version : Sign Language

Rye
08-14-2007, 02:48 PM
Yesterday, I decided to teach myself some basic American Sign Language (maybe I'll learn more difficult stuff later!), because I find it interesting and fun. I'm pretty solid on fingerspelling, which is using the ASL (lawl omfg asl) alphabet to spell out names, specific places, groceries, etc. It's really fun. I can't stop fingerspelling things I come across now. I'm going to move on to actual signs for words and such now, so I can form sentences. :]

Does anyone here know American Sign Language? If so, what was the hardest part of learning it for you?

Deborah
08-14-2007, 03:03 PM
I've taken a few classes on it. Fingerspelling is a great way to start learning though! Just remember that half of what you're signing is in your facial expression though...so learn to make funny faces! :p

Peegee
08-14-2007, 05:04 PM
The hardest part is not loling at 'ASL' (american sign language, above sea level...)

I can 'sign' some naughty words. That's all ASL has done for me.

Vikeve
08-14-2007, 05:37 PM
All I can say is thank you.:greenie:

Bunny
08-14-2007, 05:39 PM
I used to be able to say the alphabet and I stumbled upon it yesterday and tried to relearn it, but I didn't do much practice then. I can sign dance though.

Rye
08-14-2007, 05:50 PM
This is really fun to learn. I've begun to learn some sentences, questions. I can say things such as "My name Jessica", "My work (the at is applied) TJ Maxx", 'My School (Rye's School)", and I can ask those things of other people, as well as a few Who/What/Where/When/Why/How questions and telling people my mood. I am totally hardcore with the alphabet now!

And Deborah, that's one of the things I love about ASL, you get to be so expressive with your face. I thought it was interesting that if you don't make expressive faces while signing, you're a boring signer, as if you were a monotone speaker. :]

Rengori
08-14-2007, 06:26 PM
All I can say is fuck you, and I don't think that the middle finger is officially ASL.

rubah
08-14-2007, 07:57 PM
I know most of the letters and the word 'die' (we made it into a dance! and called it the pancake xD)

Hambone
08-14-2007, 10:06 PM
I know most of the letters and the word 'die' (we made it into a dance! and called it the pancake xD)

Drugs much? :p

rubah
08-14-2007, 10:18 PM
Not at all.

Nominus Experse
08-15-2007, 12:21 AM
I don't know ASL, but I do have a series of private hand signals that I use in order to communicate to those that are weary of my movements.

No, not really. I don't use or know any sort of sign language.

Sergeant Hartman
08-15-2007, 12:35 AM
I know what sticking your two fingers up means.

Shlup
08-15-2007, 01:03 AM
I took three years of ASL, so I'm pretty good at it. My husband took two years. We speak in ASL at least a little bit every day.

The hardest part is the grammar though. I'm never sure if I've said something right.

Rye
08-15-2007, 03:58 AM
I took three years of ASL, so I'm pretty good at it. My husband took two years. We speak in ASL at least a little bit every day.

The hardest part is the grammar though. I'm never sure if I've said something right.

That's so awesome. *jealous* xD

Deborah
08-15-2007, 06:59 AM
And Deborah, that's one of the things I love about ASL, you get to be so expressive with your face. I thought it was interesting that if you don't make expressive faces while signing, you're a boring signer, as if you were a monotone speaker. :]

Maybe It was hard for me because I'm pretty shy. But yes I agree watching someone sign without it, is very boring! :p

Lawr
08-15-2007, 07:03 AM
Does anyone here know American Sign Language? If so, what was the hardest part of learning it for you?

I know a couple songs in Sign Language. The hardest part for me was just remembering what came next. :P