PDA

View Full Version : "And it seems to me you lived your life, Like a candle in the wind."

Goldenboko
08-16-2007, 01:53 AM
"Never knowing who to cling to when the rain set in. And I would have liked to have known you but I was just a kid. Your candle burned out long before, your legend ever did~"

So, is there anyone you would have like to have met but they died when you where either,
A. Very young

-or-

B. Not born yet?

I never met either of my grandfathers. When died of a heartattack when my dad was 16 and the other had kidney problems and died when I was a baby :(

Makes me so sad.

PS- Quoting lyrics is suppose to be my thing >:0

Freya
08-16-2007, 02:02 AM
I never knew 3 of my grandparents. Tis sad.

Rengori
08-16-2007, 02:02 AM
I KNOW IT'S YOUR THING! I WAS COPYING YOUR THING OF RIPPING OFF OTHER PEOPLE'S THINGS!

*giggling at 'ripping off other peoples things'*

No one comes to mind, but I'm guessing Kikimm might say Kurt Cobain.

Rocket Edge
08-16-2007, 02:07 AM
My two grandfathers. They were mean't to be very respected men, and I often hear alot about them even today. Whenever I'm alone and get thinking about things too much, they sometimes pop up in my head.

Other than that, I would give my right leg to have had a conversation with Tupac Shakur. I'm even a little sad that I never knew of his existence when he was alive.

Vikeve
08-16-2007, 02:09 AM
I wish I got to meet my uncle John before he died but since I never met him I don't feel too bad about it. Just I've heard cool stories about the guy.

Rocket Edge how many times must I tell you. You can still meet him he's only a zombie. How can you explain his new album coming out hmmm... !?

Bart's Friend Milhouse
08-16-2007, 02:10 AM
Both my parents speak highly of my grandad, naturally I would want to see what all the fuss is about. I still can't say I really know my grandmothers seeing that we speak different languages

SnoopyG
08-16-2007, 02:19 AM
I wouldve liked to meet Bob Marley. Share a joint with him and sees who shoots the sheriff first

TyphoonThaReapa
08-16-2007, 02:20 AM
Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, Tupac Shukar (Zombies doesn't count), I'm pretty sure their is a lot of under people I would like to have a conversation with. But have can't think of anymore as of now...

The Summoner of Leviathan
08-16-2007, 02:33 AM
Both my parents lost their fathers when they were teens. One was a ski-doo accident (fell into the ice) and the other died of illness (I think). I'd like to have met them.

Psychotic
08-16-2007, 02:49 AM
FAO: Goldenboko and Rengori. I deleted all your silly posts. Sheesh, if you like each other so much, we have a rather good PM system (http://forums.eyesonff.com/private.php), you know. (and for the love of god, don't quote this post with some smart aleck reply like you usually do)

FAO: Goldenboko. Elton John? Elton fucking John? I...I what the hell, dude?

I'm another person who would like to meet their grandfather. I never met him, but I have heard about what a good man he was, and I often wonder if I would make him proud.

Goldenboko
08-16-2007, 02:56 AM
FAO: Goldenboko. Elton John? Elton smurfing John? I...I what the hell, dude?

I'm another person who would like to meet their grandfather. I never met him, but I have heard about what a good man he was, and I often wonder if I would make him proud.

FAO? Whats that? Anyway... You got a problem with Elton John :mad2:

No one has met their grandfather :(

Wolf Kanno
08-16-2007, 02:57 AM
Kenji Miyazawa... The World of KENJI MIYAZAWA (http://www.kenji-world.net/english/)

I've read much of his works and must say I find a kindrid spirit in the man. I think it would have been interesting to have met and spoken with him.

I also hope to meet Stan Lee and Hayao Miyazaki before either kicks the bucket.;)

Fonzie
08-16-2007, 02:57 AM
What'd I miss?

Rengori
08-16-2007, 03:03 AM

I haven't met my biological grandfather as he died before I was born, but I don't want to, everything my mom tells me about him is horrible. My mom's foster dad, who is basically my grandfather is really nice though. :)

Resha
08-16-2007, 03:06 AM
I met my grandad, but he died when I was six. So I guess I never really met-knew him.

Hmmm. :-) The one person I would have loved to meet is Lucy Maud Montgomery. She was like my soul twin.

Gobo o_O you wanna meet Princess Diana?

Goldenboko
08-16-2007, 03:08 AM
I met my grandad, but he died when I was six. So I guess I never really met-knew him.

Hmmm. :-) The one person I would have loved to meet is Lucy Maud Montgomery. She was like my soul twin.

The original was about Marilyn Monroe.

Rengori
08-16-2007, 03:14 AM

The original was about Marilyn Monroe.

o_O You wanna meet Marilyn Monroe?

Anaisa
08-16-2007, 03:15 AM
You got a problem with Elton John :mad2:

Elton John is a fool. Also, he's disrespectful to the dead. He originally sang that candle in the wind song for Marilyn Monroe, an then when Diana died, he recycled it for her! What a cheap tacky sod! I bet he's only ever bought one wreath made with plastic flowers for when he goes to funerals, so he can take it home again afterwards, an use it next time.

o_O
08-16-2007, 04:18 AM
Elton John is a fool. Also, he's disrespectful to the dead. He originally sang that candle in the wind song for Marilyn Monroe, an then when Diana died, he recycled it for her! What a cheap tacky sod! I bet he's only ever bought one wreath made with plastic flowers for when he goes to funerals, so he can take it home again afterwards, an use it next time.
He was pretty successful for a fool. There are two dead people whom he has written a hit tribute for. That isn't disrespectful.
I knew all of my grandparents, and 6 great grandparents. :p

Nominus Experse
08-16-2007, 08:04 AM
No.

Not a single one.

demondude
08-16-2007, 10:08 AM
Never met one of my grandparents unfortunetly. :(

Old Manus
08-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Other than that, I would give my right leg to have had a conversation with Tupac Shakur. I'm even a little sad that I never knew of his existence when he was alive.Just picture him Rollin' :choc2:

Anaisa
08-16-2007, 06:26 PM
He was pretty successful for a fool. There are two dead people whom he has written a hit tribute for. That isn't disrespectful.
You can still be a fool an make a lot of money. He couldn't be bothered making a new song for Diana, so he just dedicated the same song to her. Of course that's disrespectful. An what does that say about the song's lyrics? They're that impersonal, they can apply to any famous dead person?! Hardly a touching tribute then.

Goldenboko
08-16-2007, 06:39 PM
You can still be a fool an make a lot of money. He couldn't be bothered making a new song for Diana, so he just dedicated the same song to her. Of course that's disrespectful. An what does that say about the song's lyrics? They're that impersonal, they can apply to any famous dead person?! Hardly a touching tribute then.

This thread isn't about Elton John. Please get on topic or GTFO.

Anaisa
08-16-2007, 06:49 PM

This thread isn't about Elton John. Please get on topic or GTFO.Tell that to yourself:

Shauna
08-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Either of my grandfathers. One of them died when I was just a baby, and the other died not too long ago. However, the latter grandfather had Alzheimer's Disease so even if I had met him, I'd have never gotten to know him.

Goldenboko
08-16-2007, 07:08 PM

This thread isn't about Elton John. Please get on topic or GTFO.Tell that to yourself:

Please note that is going along with discussion toward the thread, it was basically like an OOC: without the OOC: there.

Shlup
08-16-2007, 09:44 PM
All of my great grandfather's died before I was born, along with my paternal grandfather. One of my great grandfather's died on my due date and I was born during his funeral*. :p

*I was not at the funeral.

Polaris
08-16-2007, 09:48 PM
I already met the person I was supposed to! Even if he died it doesn't matter because what we lived was enough to make us very happy! ^^ I'm sorry for ur grandpas GB:(

Jojee
08-16-2007, 09:51 PM
Nope, can't think of any. ^_^ The people I wanna meet are still alive... but I highly doubt I will ever meet them.

o_O
08-17-2007, 12:52 AM
Maybe, but I don't see many fools winning Grammy or Academy awards.
On 31 August 1997, Princess Diana was killed in a car crash. The news immediately shocked John, as he and the Princess had been very good friends. He had also lost another good friend, the fashion designer Gianni Versace, just weeks before, and had attended his funeral with the Princess.
As a result of these deaths, John sank into a deep depression, and considered not going to the funeral due to the emotional trauma. In the end, he decided to attend after receiving support from other friends. Following the recovery, John decided he wanted to pay a tribute to Diana. With that in mind, he contacted his veteran writing partner, Bernie Taupin. Due to the limited time available, they felt it was not possible to write a new song, and chose to re-write the lyrics to "Candle in the Wind".
John sang "Candle In The Wind 1997" in public, for the first and only time in history, at the funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales, in Westminster Abbey on 6 September 1997. John swore he would never play that version of the song again. John has repeatedly turned down requests to perform the song live and only plays the 1973 version at concerts. The song has also never been released on any of his albums. He has stated that he will play the song again only if requested by Diana's sons William and Harry.

I would have liked to have met my great-aunt. By all accounts she was the favourite aunt, but she was murdered by my great-uncle before I was born.

Anaisa
08-17-2007, 01:12 AM
Maybe, but I don't see many fools winning Grammy or Academy awards.I do.
On 31 August 1997, Princess Diana was killed in a car crash. The news immediately shocked John, as he and the Princess had been very good friends. He had also lost another good friend, the fashion designer Gianni Versace, just weeks before, and had attended his funeral with the Princess.
As a result of these deaths, John sank into a deep depression, and considered not going to the funeral due to the emotional trauma. In the end, he decided to attend after receiving support from other friends. Following the recovery, John decided he wanted to pay a tribute to Diana. With that in mind, he contacted his veteran writing partner, Bernie Taupin. Due to the limited time available, they felt it was not possible to write a new song, and chose to re-write the lyrics to "Candle in the Wind".
John sang "Candle In The Wind 1997" in public, for the first and only time in history, at the funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales, in Westminster Abbey on 6 September 1997. John swore he would never play that version of the song again. John has repeatedly turned down requests to perform the song live and only plays the 1973 version at concerts. The song has also never been released on any of his albums. He has stated that he will play the song again only if requested by Diana's sons William and Harry.Have you not heard that Elton John tries to be buddies with virtually every celeb he meets, an claims to care deeply for them? In reality he probably just didn't want to attend the funeral because he was having a bad wig day. An if he couldn't knock up a new song in time, he should have just accepted that, rather than being tacky an thinking lets just rehash an old one! He's probably forgotten the lyrics to Diana's version, an that's why he sticks with the other version. At Di's funeral, he probably had the lyrics taped to his piano, with some toupee glue he had going spare.

Rengori
08-17-2007, 01:13 AM
Maybe, but I don't see many fools winning Grammy or Academy awards.Metallica and St. Anger say otherwise.

Goldenboko
08-17-2007, 01:14 AM
I'll ask one more time. Please stop. This thread isn't "Is Elton John a fool". If you feel so inclined to talk about that, make your own thread about it.

o_O
08-17-2007, 01:31 AM
I do.
Such as?
Have you not heard that Elton John tries to be buddies with virtually every celeb he meets, an claims to care deeply for them? In reality he probably just didn't want to attend the funeral because he was having a bad wig day. An if he couldn't knock up a new song in time, he should have just accepted that, rather than being tacky an thinking lets just rehash an old one! He's probably forgotten the lyrics to Diana's version, an that's why he sticks with the other version. At Di's funeral, he probably had the lyrics taped to his piano, with some toupee glue he had going spare.
You have made plenty of assertions there with no foundation whatsoever.
Metallica and St. Anger say otherwise.
Touché! :p
But I suppose they deserved to - they had already made it with several genuinely brilliant albums.

Speaking of Metallica, it would be cool to have a conversation with Cliff Burton just to see what he would think about the fact that he was about to become a serious martyr for his music. And Dimebag Darrell too.

Anaisa
08-17-2007, 01:58 AM
Such as?To name a couple: Justin Timberlake. Beyonce.

You have made plenty of assertions there with no foundation. whatsoever.How do you know? You don't know whether everything said in that Wikipedia article is true, just like you don't know whether anything I said was true or not.

Araciel
08-17-2007, 01:59 AM
nope. can't say i genuinely wish to have met anyone i haven't.

Psychotic
08-17-2007, 02:02 AM
Okay guys, can we please get back to the topic at hand? If you want to discuss Elton John's talent, or lack thereof, please make a thread in the Lounge in which to do so. Thank you! :)

LunarWeaver
08-17-2007, 02:08 AM
My grandma had 9(!) children, giving me many uncles and aunts. One of them died when he was 6 or so by chasing a ball into a street and getting hit by a car. I know it sounds movie-ish, but it does happen!

Of course, that was waay before I even existed, before my mom existed in fact, but to think I had a whole Uncle that would be and now never will. He could have been the "favorite Uncle", you know?