PDA

View Full Version : A handy guide to watching Fox News

Renmiri
08-16-2007, 08:30 PM
Republicans lean heavily on "logical fallacies" to try and win arguments. Some guy listed the most common:

See if these sound familiar...

False Choice: Offering only two options for consideration when there are clearly other valid choices.

Example: "If we give up the fight in the streets of Baghdad, we will face the terrorists in the streets of our own cities." ---George W. Bush

Strawman: Oversimplifying, exaggerating, caricaturing, of otherwise misrepresenting the other's position without regard to fact. In doing this, your opponent sets up a figurative strawman that he can easily knock down to prove his point.

Example: "Conservatives saw the savagery of 9/11 in the attacks and prepared for war; liberals saw the savagery of the 9/11 attacks and wanted to prepare indictments and offer therapy and understanding for our attackers." ---Karl Rove

Shifting The Burden of Proof: Presenting an argument as commonly accepted truth, failing to support it with any evidence, and then forcing you to prove otherwise. This tactic is employed out of laziness or to mask the reality that the facts are not on your opponent's side.

Example: "I think the burden is on those people who think he didn’t have weapons of mass destruction to tell the world where they are." ---[Former White House press secretary] Ari Fleischer, on Saddam Hussein's alleged WMDs

Slippery Slope Leaping to wild, sometimes inexplicable conclusions---going, say, from Step One to Step Two and then all the way to Step Ten without establishing any discernible connection. By using this kind of leapfrog logic, a person can come to any conclusion he damn well pleases.

Example: "All of a sudden, we see riots, we see protests, we see people clashing. The next thing we know, there is injured or there is dead people. We don’t want to get to that extent." ---Arnold Schwarzenegger, on the dangers posed by gay marriage

Rengori
08-16-2007, 08:45 PM
You forgot the good ol' fillabuster.

Tavrobel
08-16-2007, 08:49 PM
I thought the first part of this would read "don't watch Fox news."

Psychotic
08-16-2007, 08:58 PM
I don't think that sort of thing is a Republican/Fox exclusive. The American left is equally as abhorrent as the American right, in my opinion.

Chimp
08-16-2007, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the update.

Araciel
08-17-2007, 01:27 AM
I thought the first part of this would read "don't watch Fox news."

yes yes. me too.

Madame Adequate
08-17-2007, 01:28 AM
I don't think that sort of thing is a Republican/Fox exclusive. The American left rest of the species is equally as abhorrent as the American right, in my opinion.

Fix'd according to my tastes.

loben
08-17-2007, 04:58 AM
I distaste of biast news.
acording to fox news we gotta watch out for "unfiltered" veiws.

Captain Maxx Power
08-17-2007, 12:16 PM
I don't think that sort of thing is a Republican/Fox exclusive. The American left is equally as abhorrent as the American right, in my opinion.

That would leave the neutrals in charge then?

http://www.ssfuturama.cz/info/nations/races/neutrals.jpg

All I know is that my gut says maybe.

Bolivar
08-17-2007, 05:23 PM

While they may be equally corrupt and indifferent to the welfare of Americans, I have to say, when the left is corrupt, they finance expensive vacations and decorate their offices with lavish foliage.

When Republicans go corrupt, they sell guns to Nicaraguan drug dealers who flood our streets with crack-cocaine.

Cool thread Renmiri, this could easily be added on. Maybe I'll add some more fallacies, all you have to do is watch the network for a half hour!

The Ceej
08-17-2007, 05:53 PM
FOX News? They claim they're fair and balanced. Yeah. Sure they are.

Bill O' Reilly is so far to the right, he makes the slow traffic look liberal.

Yeah. You can quote that line. It's all mine. They shouldn't even call it FOX News. They should call it FOX Entertainment Pretending To Be News, Much Like The Daily Show But Without The Comedy. But I guess that's too long a title for a television station.

I can't watch FOX News. Not that I can watch any news anymore. Some innaccuracy in the news or misrepresentation of the facts is always pissing me off. I remember when news used to be news. I can barely even read the paper. That's why I get all my news from The Daily Show these days. Because at least I can laugh watching that.

Hazzard
08-17-2007, 06:33 PM
Bill O' Reily was the reason I watched Fox news, his way of presenting was hilarious.

Rase
08-17-2007, 06:35 PM
I don't think that sort of thing is a Republican/Fox exclusive. The American left rest of the species is equally as abhorrent as the American right, in my opinion.
Pretty much.

Peegee
08-17-2007, 07:50 PM
What I've learned from this thread and in my own experience is that I haven't attained a single negative consequence for being virtually wholly ignorant of world history and politics my entire life.

bipper
08-17-2007, 07:56 PM
I think this goes for most political news or any news that has any subjective based information on it.

FOX fails at reality TV, this includes news. It is always interesting though, to see what the right bias has to say, and then compare it with the AP and circumstantial news network.

loben
08-17-2007, 09:09 PM
FOX News? They claim they're fair and balanced. Yeah. Sure they are.

Bill O' Reilly is so far to the right, he makes the slow traffic look liberal.

Yeah. You can quote that line. It's all mine. They shouldn't even call it FOX News. They should call it FOX Entertainment Pretending To Be News, Much Like The Daily Show But Without The Comedy. But I guess that's too long a title for a television station.

I can't watch FOX News. Not that I can watch any news anymore. Some innaccuracy in the news or misrepresentation of the facts is always pissing me off. I remember when news used to be news. I can barely even read the paper. That's why I get all my news from The Daily Show these days. Because at least I can laugh watching that.

How you know the country is falling apart:
The writers on the daily show all took vacation this week, so instead they used real news. No one noticed the difference.