PDA

View Full Version : I'm a total HTML newb, here x.x

Jessweeee♪
08-16-2007, 10:28 PM
As you can see, I've been playing with drop down boxes...I'm starting up a freeweb and I was going to litter an entire page with them XD

Would any of you know how I can get a different result for each option?

Xander
08-16-2007, 11:15 PM
<FORM>
<SELECT name="quotemenu">
<OPTION>Character Quote of the Week<BR><BR></OPTION>
<OPTION onClick="alert('Yuna! This is our story! Now let\'s see this thing through together.')">Tidus</OPTION>
<OPTION onClick="alert('I like Tidus')">Yuna</OPTION>
<OPTION onClick="alert('I like Blitzball')">Wakka</OPTION>
<OPTION onClick="alert('I wear belts')">Lulu</OPTION>
</SELECT>
</FORM>

Is this what you mean? I haven't used these for ages but I just changed the html around a bit. You had onChange on the Select (whole menu) so I guess it appeared when anything changed. I made an OPTION for each character, changed onChange to onClick and put on each one so it alerts when you click each one.

I dunno if I did it with exact proper code but it seems to work :p

<*FORM*>
<*SELECT name="quotemenu"*>
<*OPTION*>Character Quote of the Week<*BR*><*BR*></*OPTION*>
<*OPTION onClick="alert('Yuna! This is our story! Now let\'s see this thing through together.')"*>Tidus</*OPTION*>
<*OPTION onClick="alert('I like Tidus')"*>Yuna<*/OPTION*>
<*OPTION onClick="alert('I like Blitzball')"*>Wakka</*OPTION*>
<*OPTION onClick="alert('I wear belts')"*>Lulu<*/OPTION*>
<*/SELECT*>
<*/FORM*>

Remove all the *s

Jessweeee♪
08-16-2007, 11:18 PM
Okie dokie, thanks n.n

Baloki
08-17-2007, 08:16 AM
<FORM>
<SELECT name="quotemenu">
<OPTION>Character Quote of the Week<BR><BR></OPTION>
<OPTION onClick="alert('Yuna! This is our story! Now let\'s see this thing through together.')">Tidus</OPTION>
<OPTION onClick="alert('I like Tidus')">Yuna</OPTION>
<OPTION onClick="alert('I like Blitzball')">Wakka</OPTION>
<OPTION onClick="alert('I wear belts')">Lulu</OPTION>
</SELECT>
</FORM>

Is this what you mean? I haven't used these for ages but I just changed the html around a bit. You had onChange on the Select (whole menu) so I guess it appeared when anything changed. I made an OPTION for each character, changed onChange to onClick and put on each one so it alerts when you click each one.

I dunno if I did it with exact proper code but it seems to work :p

<*FORM*>
<*SELECT name="quotemenu"*>
<*OPTION*>Character Quote of the Week<*BR*><*BR*></*OPTION*>
<*OPTION onClick="alert('Yuna! This is our story! Now let\'s see this thing through together.')"*>Tidus</*OPTION*>
<*OPTION onClick="alert('I like Tidus')"*>Yuna<*/OPTION*>
<*OPTION onClick="alert('I like Blitzball')"*>Wakka</*OPTION*>
<*OPTION onClick="alert('I wear belts')"*>Lulu<*/OPTION*>
<*/SELECT*>
<*/FORM*>

Remove all the *s

*nods*, that is the correct javascript :D

I would recommend looking into Dynamic Drive as they have alot of neat scripts like that ^_^

Jessweeee♪
08-18-2007, 05:52 AM
Thanks a bunch :spin:

Baloki
08-18-2007, 09:36 AM
No problem, if ya need any further help just give me a PM or post another thread here, tisn't like I ever leave the help forum xD

Peegee
08-21-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm just curious, but obviously javascript and other things can be used for evil and probably will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. But buh? It's allowed?

I guess as long as it's not too annoying, but obviously somebody can put a sig that spams you (unintentionally or whatever) with 'PG is amzing!' messages.

=(

Baloki
08-22-2007, 12:11 AM
No, mentioning you is a bannable offense now so swear filtered :(

rubah
08-22-2007, 12:47 AM
we like to give people the benefit of the doubt until they start abusing the benefit and then we remove all the doubts.

Baloki
08-22-2007, 10:10 AM
we like to give people the benefit of the doubt until they start abusing the benefit and then we remove all the doubts.

CSS positioning ftw?

o_O
08-22-2007, 11:45 AM
CSS posi<b></b>tioning ftw?

I miss that. :{
<body style="cursor: crosshair; background: rgb(0,255,0);">
You can still do a whole lot of stuff with code though. In reality I think the filter should be more strict. :p</body>

Baloki
08-22-2007, 03:50 PM
CSS posi<b></b>tioning ftw?

I miss that. :{
You can still do a whole lot of stuff with code though. In reality I think the filter should be more strict. :p

That was my fault, I spent a day just renaming the whole forum, takes alot of effort to post in top 5 threads of each forum :p

Disco Potato
08-22-2007, 06:26 PM
When I started making sites, I thought this one was pretty good...it has a lot of basic html codes:
Funky Chickens HTML Help! (http://www.funky-chickens.com/)

rubah
08-22-2007, 09:13 PM
very basic; it hasn't been updated since I used it to learn html. . . six years agoxD