PDA

View Full Version : "Good luck!"

Peegee
08-17-2007, 03:19 PM
I have a mental dilemma. Halp.

It goes like this. You know the phrase 'good luck?' It sort of implies you are wishing luck or giving luck or something about transferring luck to the person right.

Luck can have two attributes. Finite luck, and infinite luck.

I would like to conclude that we don't have infinite luck. The first reason is that we're not all infinitely lucky. The second reason is that we're not all UNLUCKY (ie one person has infinite luck..that bastage!)

So we have concluded that luck has to be finite. If it's finite, we should try to hoard as much luck as possible to maximize our luck. So why would one wish another person 'good luck?' It's been bothering me for about 5 minutes now.

The topic however is: how do I turn off my brain? This sucks =(

Bunny
08-17-2007, 03:21 PM
I have a suggestion but I'd get banned for recommending it.

Peegee
08-17-2007, 03:23 PM
I have a suggestion but I'd get banned for recommending it.

='(

put it in spoilers maybe? xD

Zeldy
08-17-2007, 03:42 PM
This was in Catcher of the Rye, it made him "goddamn depressed", but pretty much everything did. I haaated that 'goddamn' book.
I don't really know what to say on the topic.

Serapy
08-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Bad luck to you!

^ Which is actually good luck :p

Peegee
08-17-2007, 05:05 PM
This was in Catcher of the Rye, it made him "goddamn depressed", but pretty much everything did. I haaated that 'goddamn' book.
I don't really know what to say on the topic.

Catcher in the Rye...chu ?

Ko Ko
08-17-2007, 05:16 PM
When I say "good luck", it usually means "You have no chance of succeeding and I am hoping my obvious sarcasm will quell your stupidity."

Nobody really means it because luck is a non-transferable, non-existant sort of "God". You know, we kiss his idols and tote them around for good measure but they never work because the "God" isn't really. It's like someone saying "Happy Trails Jesus!"

So possibly, when someone is telling you "Good Luck", they mean "PG, you suck and won't succeed." So maybe you should take it literally.

Like if you're going into surgery.

Captain Maxx Power
08-17-2007, 06:42 PM
Quick, exercise the demon of Future Esthar from Pureghetto!

Araciel
08-17-2007, 06:45 PM
i only wish luck upon those individuals i assume need it.

i don't personally believe in either type of luck, but i'm cool like that.

also if you want to turn off your brain, either use the I/O switch behind your left ear, or imbibe copious amounts of alcohol...i suggest something in the neighbourhood of 40% alcohol content mixed with a carbonated, sugary beverage of some sort.

Jojee
08-17-2007, 08:57 PM
Break a leg, Peegee~

(or a head?)

scrumpleberry
08-17-2007, 09:02 PM
How do you turn off your brain? Uhhh...

Watch too much bad TV.

oddler
08-17-2007, 09:25 PM
Good luck, to me, is just a saying that means the same as go get 'em or break a leg. As for turning off your brain, check your local hardware store. It sounds like the switch is just broken.

I just want to say the title totally brings back memories of Star Fox on SNES. :lol:

Fonzie
08-17-2007, 09:28 PM
We're in your head, messing with your thoughts.

Quindiana Jones
08-17-2007, 09:57 PM
You could always drown puppies. That's how I get my mind off things.

Rengori
08-17-2007, 10:20 PM
You could always drown puppies kittens. That's how I get my mind off things.
Fixed!

Quindiana Jones
08-17-2007, 10:27 PM
I drown kittens when I'm bored, fool. I drown puppies to take my mind off things.

blackmage_nuke
08-17-2007, 11:16 PM
So we have concluded that luck has to be finite. If it's finite, we should try to hoard as much luck as possible to maximize our luck. So why would one wish another person 'good luck?' It's been bothering me for about 5 minutes now.

I believe when you wish others good luck and truly believe it their good actions from that luck will eventually return to you

And you share your luck because you like someone like you share your cookies. (it's nice)

The topic however is: how do I turn off my brain? This sucks =(

Hammer

NOW the real question is if the entire world were destroyed by a meteor that would mean we have all been over come by a wave of bad luck, but the good luck we posessed before hand would have to go somewhere, but in empty space there is no where for it to go, so if a space ship flew through where the earth was when it blew up would they be filled with all the luck of everyone who was on earth?

Lawr
08-17-2007, 11:24 PM
Play some Dragonball Z.