PDA

View Full Version : I'm happy they kept the D&D like spell levels...

Dahveed
08-19-2007, 03:31 AM
I just bought the DS remake and was really pleased to see different spell levels, as opposed to standard MP.

However, why didn't they do the same with all the FF1 remakes, except for Origins? Why did they convert FF1's system to MP in the GBA and PSP remake?

Having played D&D, one of my favorite aspects of the original is the fact it has so many similarities. I'm just glad the third kept this feature intact.

Lawr
08-20-2007, 09:09 AM
However, why didn't they do the same with all the FF1 remakes, except for Origins? Why did they convert FF1's system to MP in the GBA and PSP remake?

Because little kids get GBAs

ReloadPsi
08-20-2007, 02:02 PM
FF1 for the GBA was far too easy with MP. To that end, it basically made the Black Mage much more useful, and made Knight, Ninja and Red Mage even more broken than they were before.

I think the main reason they kept the spell level system this time is because there charges per level cap is higher than 9, thus it's not considered to be "too hard" for some of today's hopelessly unskilled gamers who will give a game a poor review just because they sucked at it.

Dahveed
08-20-2007, 03:26 PM
Yeah, it's amazing how terrible at games the average gamer is nowadays. Back when the original for NES came out, I was still just a kid. However, I had no qualms with the magic system, and remember loving the game.

Even the original is not that difficult, if you choose the right party, level up, and buy the most useful spells.

It's like gamers now want no challenge whatsoever, and just want victory handed to them on a silver platter.

TehAnima
08-20-2007, 07:50 PM
And my brother still can't play the GBA games without me helping him and whining that its too hard for him :eep:

darksword12
08-21-2007, 07:57 PM

Don't you EVER imply that nintendo is "kiddy" around me again.

Lawr
08-21-2007, 08:03 PM

Don't you EVER imply that nintendo is "kiddy" around me again.

Not implying that just saying the amount of people who buy the Nintendo is dispersed between ages.
Unless you want to debate, COME ON!!

Dahveed
08-22-2007, 08:12 AM
I would tend to agree with Sagenysd. I don't know how many kids I've seen in public with a GBA or a GBA SP. And yes, 90% of them seem to be playing Pokemon.

Now that's not to say GBA is strictly a kiddy system; I'm much older, and I am a huge fan of the Fire Emblem series, two of which have been released on the GBA in North America. Fire Emblem almost exclusively relies on strategy and planning ahead. There is a small amount of luck invovled, but it's certainly not something most younger children would enjoy.

Lawr
08-22-2007, 08:20 AM
Sagenysd

*Sigh* :(

Rengori
08-22-2007, 09:57 AM
Sagenysd

*Sigh* :(

Don't let it get to you Sygilsagynar.

But yeah, Square still is in the mindset that gave us FFIV Easytype, so to make the game more accessible they gave the mages more MP.

And yeah, I'd be lying if I didn't say I only got a Gameboy for Pokemon at first.

Neriek
08-22-2007, 10:34 AM
I am also glad that they kept the leveling like they did.

As for the difficulty. I do not mind games where you have to have a stratergy in order to win, but a lot of the time the bosses use their most powerful attacks twice in a row and kill two of your party members. I am up for a challenge, but when it relys on luck to win, it just gets kind of annoying.

ValiantKnight
08-27-2007, 12:58 AM
Double Big Bang on FFIV before Rosa could cure the party was quite fun at times :)

Speaking of FFIV:

NES - easytype
PS1 - hardtype(somewhat)
GBA - ?

I never had the privledge of playing the NES version, so I am unsure how much difference there is between hard and easytype. I just know PS1 is hardtype

FF1 origins had easy type, which was easier than the MP system of DoS by far. I didn't level a party to 99, but I remember having 40+ level 1 charges in easy type, and a black belt doing thousands of damage.

FF3 Garuda reminds me a little of Big Bang with his Thunder. At level 23, thunder is really devastating to the party in 2x form which happens often somehow. He just finds a way to cast it after my healer, then before my healer. I did end up beating him though :)

Rengori
08-27-2007, 01:00 AM
Speaking of FFIV:

SNES - easytype
PS1 - hardtype(somewhat)
GBA - ?

GBA wasn't Easytype, but the double attack glitch practically made it that.

Lawr
08-27-2007, 01:31 AM
Double Big Bang on FFIV before Rosa could cure the party was quite fun at times :)

Speaking of FFIV:

NES - easytype
PS1 - hardtype(somewhat)
GBA - ?

I never had the privledge of playing the NES version, so I am unsure how much difference there is between hard and easytype. I just know PS1 is hardtype

FF1 origins had easy type, which was easier than the MP system of DoS by far. I didn't level a party to 99, but I remember having 40+ level 1 charges in easy type, and a black belt doing thousands of damage.

FF3 Garuda reminds me a little of Big Bang with his Thunder. At level 23, thunder is really devastating to the party in 2x form which happens often somehow. He just finds a way to cast it after my healer, then before my healer. I did end up beating him though :)

You can compare the difficulty difference with the distance from the Sun to Mars.

Bolivar
08-27-2007, 03:41 AM
I was actually satisfied with the magic system in this game, even though I didn't like the system for FF1. I think they did a good job balancing this game and the magic system seemed really strong to me.

I was kinda glad to have MP in Dawn of Souls, although that game ended up being way too easy.

ValiantKnight
08-27-2007, 09:33 AM
The spell charges in FF3 seem quite balanced yes. I usually beat a boss just before I'll run out of high-level curing, or use all/most of my low level curing just before the boss appears.

In FF1, DoS was an adaptation of the easy version from origins, or at least it seems so. It may not be. The leveling is fast, like origins-easy. Supposedly the strength increases are spread out over the levels for the characters to compensate, so that a 40 DoS Fighter is equal to a 20 NES Fighter, but I find it isn't quite that linear. Spell damage is also fixed to about 75% of its value, making the randomness of 10-40 fire spell actually hit for 32-34 now all the time.

But to talk more about it would start a FF1 topic.
FF3's charges seem just right. I'd want more, but these get me by for now. Well Red mage's charges aren't anything to wish for.