PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy IX or Final Fantasy X?

The Fat Bioware Nerd
08-20-2007, 01:03 AM
Which game do you like better Final Fantasy IX or Final Fantasy X? I like Final Fantasy IX better because I hate Blitzball!:mad:

Shlup
08-20-2007, 01:20 AM
Final Fantasy X is a decent game, while IX totally blows and is also retarded.

Slothy
08-20-2007, 01:23 AM
FFX is good, but FFIX is the second best in the series as far as I'm concerned. Obviously I don't consider FFX the best or that sentence wouldn't make any sense.

Rengori
08-20-2007, 01:24 AM
Final Fantasy IX is an unfathomably awesome game, while X totally blows and is also retarded.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
08-20-2007, 04:03 AM
Final Fantasy X is a decent game, while IX totally blows and is also retarded.

Final Fantasy IX is better than Final Fantasy X because it didn't have annoying voice overs.

Laddy
08-20-2007, 04:35 AM
Final Fantasy IX wasn't so cheesy, plus the battle system was just as strategic (maybe more so) as Final Fantasy X and the story's twists weren't so... weird.

Washington is next
08-20-2007, 11:10 AM
Its a hard choice because 10 is great but i choose 9 because it felt like it had more depth and unique characters unlike 10

Elly
08-20-2007, 03:09 PM
X was better as it didn't limit you by forcing you to use only some of the skills you've learned like IX did, in X once you learned your skills they were yours to use whenever you wanted with no need to swap them around, but in IX you could only use as many skills as you could equip based on how many Magic Stones your chars had forcing you to constantly change your skills and abilities out every time you came to a new area, in my opinion very lame and hella constricting... and of course there's the nice added effect of being able to swap characters out during battle in X which was a very nice addition and helpfull at many points during battles, i can overlook a little bad acting (laughing scene, i'm looking at you) given the large ammount of freedom you have with skills and abilities in X...

Bolivar
08-20-2007, 07:41 PM
Oh man, you can't expect me to make this choice!

As far as FF's go, these 2 games are by far the most accessible in the series. IX has the entire manual in-game with the select button while X blatantly shows you the mechanics of Final Fantasy early on (certain characters for certain foes).

As far as stories go IX felt like the same Fantasy world i've already been to a million times, whereas the world of X was something new. However IX did it very well, and it tied together all the games really nice in basically summing up everything that the series stood for in 4 discs.

I remember beating IX and then the same time next year getting PS2 and FFX and playing till I beat that. I'm not quite sure which one is better, but they're 2 of my favorite RPG's of all time.

Ashley Schovitz
08-20-2007, 08:47 PM
How are you even going to ask that question John You know the answer is IX!

The Fat Bioware Nerd
08-20-2007, 10:14 PM
How are you even going to ask that question John You know the answer is IX!

Because I wanted to start an agrument. lol :)

Renmiri
08-20-2007, 11:50 PM
Heretic!!! :p

Blitzball rules :love:

BG-57
08-21-2007, 12:38 AM
My list actually starts with FFT and FFVIII, but further down is FFX and then FFIX.

I like the more flexible Sphere Grid system, music, and basic plotline of FFX better.

FFIX has my favorite airship ever, Invincible, and some memorable characters. Also Chocobo Hot and Cold was fun.

I didn't like Blitzball or Tetra Master; Triple Triad is much better than either.

aquatius
08-21-2007, 09:35 AM
The amount of people who voted for X shows how wrong the world has become.

Shiny
08-21-2007, 09:29 PM
Both are good to me, but I like FFX more because the ending wasn't as cliché like the one for FFIX was.

cloud21zidane16
08-21-2007, 10:45 PM
IX beats X by far.

Griff
08-22-2007, 01:33 AM
In IX's story two major villians are a man openly wearing a thong and a hideous monster disguised as a queen.

In X's story two major villians are a man probably wearing a thong and a hideous monster disguised as ALL THINGS EVIL IN THE UNIVERSE.

IX's story is a return to the elements that made the original FFs great.

X's story is a 30 hour allusion to the story of Jesus.

IX had a black mage with no self confidence.

X had a black mage with a huge rack.

X had a memorable soundtrack throughout

The only track I would recognize from IX is the battle theme.

X's main character had a story.

IX's main character had a tail (ok, bad pun, I know).

Overall, both are great games, but I have to give the slight nod to X.

Bolivar
08-22-2007, 04:37 AM
In IX's story two major villians are a man openly wearing a thong and a hideous monster disguised as a queen.

In X's story two major villians are a man probably wearing a thong and a hideous monster disguised as ALL THINGS EVIL IN THE UNIVERSE.

IX's story is a return to the elements that made the original FFs great.

IX had a black mage with no self confidence.

X had a black mage with a huge rack.

X had a memorable soundtrack throughout

The only track I would recognize from IX is the battle theme.

X's main character had a story.

IX's main character had a tail (ok, bad pun, I know).

Overall, both are great games, but I have to give the slight nod to X.

LOL

Radje
08-24-2007, 11:43 PM
Final Fantasy X manages to avoid mentioning The main character's name for the entire game. Booya.

Jessweeee♪
08-25-2007, 01:39 AM
FFIX was absolutely fantastic, but FFX was THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME (well, the greatest game of all time besides Threads of Fate >.>)

...but that's just one little girls opinion o.o

silentenigma
08-27-2007, 01:58 AM

I seemed to have missed that, could you break it down for me?

and FFIX pwns.

Snap Jumper
08-27-2007, 02:13 AM
Although both games are good, 9's characters are more interesting to me. Also, nine doesn't have those "Cloisters of Trials." I pick 9.

Laddy
08-27-2007, 04:00 AM
I'm depressed at the fact X is winning.

JackNapier
08-27-2007, 05:25 AM
I prefer IX. X was good and all, but it had too much story and not enough gameplay imo.

Storm San
08-27-2007, 11:58 AM
Final Fantasy X is better.
But FFIX is good too. Just not as good.

Radje
08-27-2007, 01:11 PM
I reckon we should all get to vote again except the people who voted for FFIX. They were just being silly.

Heath
08-27-2007, 03:28 PM
Thank goodness that IX is winning.

FFX is a good game but, sadly, it just doesn't compare to IX.

Red Phire
08-28-2007, 06:17 AM
Thank goodness that IX is winning.

FFX is a good game but, sadly, it just doesn't compare to IX.

QFMFT!!!

X just can't compare to IX... at all. :love:

Firo Volondé
08-28-2007, 11:02 AM
I'm depressed at the fact IX is winning.

I fixed your post for you, Red.

Sefie1999AD
08-28-2007, 11:41 AM
Final Fantasy IX is my 2nd favorite FF while FFX is one of my least favorite FFs, if not the least, so it probably isn't too hard to figure out which game I would pick. Hint:

Final Fantasy IX is an unfathomably awesome game, while X totally blows and is also retarded.

Wolf Kanno
08-29-2007, 09:02 AM
IX easily... X was a huge step back from a writing and game design perspective in my opinion.

Finola
09-03-2007, 08:00 AM
This is like the hardest question ever.
IX is the first FF i've ever played so it has always kind of remained as my favorite one, but the fact is that in X there's just so much more things to do but it is also a harder game. What i like about IX is that it's just so simple and i luv everything about it.
So my answer was IX.

Breine
09-12-2007, 10:01 AM
They're both amazing games, but I just have a soft spot for FFIX.

Forsaken Lover
09-12-2007, 10:33 AM
IX is my favorite but X is very good.

Vivisteiner
09-12-2007, 11:04 PM
And people can even ask this question without feeling embarassed with their lack of knowledge?

Although I loved FFX (despite its cheesiness), Steiner is God. Ergo, FFIX is frickin awesome.

Ouch!
09-13-2007, 01:21 AM
Breakdown time.

Characters:
FFIX
Almost all the characters in Final Fantasy IX had a great deal of character development, even many of the NPCs an temporary characters. This is due, of course, to the most awesome plot mechanic in the history of Final Fantasy. Yes, I speak of Active Time Events.

Most importantly, Kuja, unlike most villains before him, actually had emotions and was acting on reasons other than a desire to rule or destroy the world just for the sake of it.

FFX
In Final Fantasy X, most of the characters hardly had any development at all. I wouldn't go as far as saying that the majority of characters were stock characters, but I felt that most of them were fairly two dimensional. They had some good potential, but making the entire game from the main character's perspective inhibited opportunities to develop characters other than Yuna and Tidus.

FFX's villain (I'm going to go ahead and consider Seymour the main antagonist, as he's the only one that got any development at all) was relatively two dimensional. He was the typical lunatic bent on cleansing the world by wiping it out.

Gameplay
FFIX
Final Fantasy IX had a return to the class system, something that made me very, very happy. Forming an effective party added a level of strategy that some previous Final Fantasy titles lacked (specifically FFVII and FFVIII). I liked the way characters learned skills and latent abilities through the equipment they wore. Others might find such a system tedious (as it undoubtedly is before the AP increasing latent ability becomes available), I rather enjoyed it. The synthesis system was pretty sweet, too, but it's a little frustrating that some equipment is unavailable past certain points in the game, and some of the best equipment available through synthesizing on disc four require such unavailable items.

World map and exploration was pretty much same old, same old, but that didn't really bother me a whole lot.

FFX
Final Fantasy X started off with a fantastic battle system. However, as the game progresses, characters begin to bleed over and lose their individuality. There's no constrictions on the characters. If the characters each had their own individual sphere grids only allowing slight crossovers of skills, I'd like it a bit more. I hated the sphere grid to begin with, though. Weapon customization was pretty sweet, and I enjoyed the new summoning system. The new take on turn-base combat was awesome.

Also, moving away from the world map was a good idea, but I think switching it in FFX was a little premature. The lack of expansive areas to explore made Spira seem awfully small in comparison to other worlds. Had they done something similar to FFXII's territories (of which I'm not sure they were yet capable) Spira could have been a lot more engaging world.

Music
FFIX
I regard FFIX's soundtrack as a whole to be Nobuo's greatest work. Although many of the songs (such as the over-world theme) are just the tune of the theme song (Melodies of Life), the OST boasted an exceptional number of great songs.

FFX
I'll admit that FFX has a good soundtrack, but very few songs stick out at me (although I love both Auron's and Jecht's themes). It was certainly more diverse than FFIX's OST, but it had less songs that stood out at me.

Plot
FFIX
The plot of FFIX just rocks. Although it does sometimes delve a little too deeply into some more philosophical concepts without really addressing them in a meaningful manner, all the characters drove the plot. I wouldn't consider the plot particularly complex, but it was hardly blunt.

FFX
FFXs plot, unfortunately, was. Aside from two plot twists (Tidus's realization that Yuna will die upon the completion of her pilgrimage and learning that he was merely a product of the dreams of the Fayth), the game was pretty straightforward: travel around collecting summons until you're powerful enough to take down the big baddie.

I won't bother comparing graphics. Pitting a PSX game against a PS2 game just isn't fair as there's a significant leap in the capabilities of each machine.

Final Fantasy X was an enjoyable game, but it's not one I've ever been able to finish a second time (the only Final Fantasy game I've completed that I've not been able to play through a second time, actually). I despise FFVIII more than just about any other game I've ever played, mostly due to the plot, but the gameplay is good enough (and the Triple Triad is bad-ass enough) that I've played through it three times.

As far as I'm concerned, Final Fantasy IX wins by a mile. There really is no contest. Remember what Kishi said, "Only horrible idiots dislike FFIX," (he said it, not me).

Darth Tjador
09-13-2007, 03:21 AM
9 cuz it has a better story then 10

Takara
09-13-2007, 04:41 AM
I chose IX over X, for all the reasons Ouch! listed.

I'm just going to add one thing: IX had the most awesome female character of the PSX era (Beatrix). Female paladins rule. And it also has Quina, who is just following the group to eat new yummy-yummies. It's a nice change to have at least one character who doesn't fit into the stereotypical "hero out to save the world" mould. Or the "I'm an annoying emo teenager out to save the world" one.

Jess
09-14-2007, 05:12 PM
I can't really choose between the two because they are both totally different & I enjoyed both of them. :jess:

reinward
12-22-2009, 01:08 AM
omg dont make me decide between my 2 favorite final fantasies!

if u MADE ME pick id say ff 9 by a hair

Bolivar
12-22-2009, 03:47 AM
^ hairs are good.

So are old threads.

Sorry dude but we got a policy here and you're about to find out what it is.

edit: I don't know, maybe not.

edit edit: I've finally decided after 2 years and FFX is the better game.

arcanedude34
12-22-2009, 04:24 AM
I like both, but IX is definitely better in my opinion

Christmas
12-22-2009, 04:30 AM
Monkey tail over a dream, guys! :bigsmile:

Wolf Kanno
12-22-2009, 09:37 AM
As Bolivar pointed out, we don't really necro old threads back to life, they smell funny, try to eat your brains and force BoB to pull out the shotgun (which btw he's a bad shot) so the thread is going have to go I'm afraid, but feel free to start a new one.