PDA

View Full Version : I Want Another Old-School PC RPG, Dammit!

Laddy
08-20-2007, 04:30 AM
Before you kiddies could hold a controller, we played the good 'ol stuff, while I love Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest with all my heart, I do miss the stat-based, incredibly deep and hardcore adventures for the PC. No upbeat pop music, no Anime-style visuals, no deep backgrounds for predetermined characters, we made our party, we made our plot, we did what we needed, and did it well. We did everything we could do, they gave us the paint and canvas, we craft our adventure. Now, I would really jump for joy if anyone knows of some decent old-school not incredibly gory, (I have a phobia, you see...) PC RPG's. No Neverwinter Nights, no Elder Scrolls, I want stuff like say... Might and Magic, Wizadry, Ultima, no D&D, no action elements, no fancy ragdoll lighting effects or whatever you kiddies need these days, I want the old stuff, the originals, the good 'ol classic American, geeky, mega RPG. First person, party-creatin', open-ended, old-school stuff. Anybody with me!? (No, Final Fantasy I dosen't count, no dungeon hacks, no console stuff, give me the old-school old-school, the original RPG.)

Rostum
08-20-2007, 04:33 AM
I was more into the adventure games on PC, like the old Zork games for example.

Laddy
08-20-2007, 04:37 AM
Zork
Adventure? WTF? Without Zork, this forum would not have existed, it created RPG video/computer games! It's a classic, it was erm, still is... a blast!

crono_logical
08-20-2007, 08:56 AM
You could always try NES/SNES emulators and getting ROMs of old games :p Earthbound comes to mind when reading your post for some reason :p

aquatius
08-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Why don't you make you're own oldschool game with RPG maker?

Markus. D
08-20-2007, 09:47 AM
Why don't you make you're own oldschool game with RPG maker XP?

Zante
08-20-2007, 10:06 AM
Try Fallout and Fallout 2 (Fallout 3 is on the way). Those games are simply amazing. They are very gory, but there is a filter for it, though I never used it so no idea what kind of difference it makes.

Captain Maxx Power
08-20-2007, 11:44 AM
I think you guys have got the wrong end of the stick here. I think he means stuff more along the lines of the original Ultimas, Might and Magic, Bards Tale etc. etc. As for that there are plenty of those floating around the internet, each one more overly complex and incomprehensible as the last.

KentaRawr!
08-20-2007, 12:41 PM
For whatever reason, Fable comes to mind when I read your post. However, that's for the X-Box, and isn't Old-School in the least. But it's the best I can recommend, being a youngling and all that.

o_O
08-20-2007, 02:20 PM
I read the title of this thread and decided to recommend Ultima I - IV. Unfortunately it looks like you've played them.
I therefore recommend Excelsior. That game was so cool it's not funny. I still like to play it from time to time.

If I ever want to find old games, there is a treasure trove of abandonware here (http://www.freeoldies.com/index.php).

Bunny
08-20-2007, 02:35 PM
Heart of the Maelstrom remains, and shall always remain as, one of the greatest RPGs to ever grace an entertainment system. It is also the greatest game for SNES.

Swords and Serpents, Advanced Dungeons and Dragons: Pool of Radiance, Destiny of an Emperor. I could go on.

That being said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the majority of games today. This thread is just another example of elitism on the internet.

Shoeberto
08-20-2007, 04:08 PM
For whatever reason, Fable comes to mind when I read your post. However, that's for the X-Box, and isn't Old-School in the least. But it's the best I can recommend, being a youngling and all that.
It was ported to PC, too.

Zante
08-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Pretty horibly too. Console controls on the PC just don't work that well.

KentaRawr!
08-20-2007, 04:26 PM
It was ported to PC, too.

Oh. Well, it's still not old-school, anyways.

Karellen
08-20-2007, 04:42 PM
Looks like it's time to bust out some Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone Fighting Fantasy books.

Araciel
08-20-2007, 05:35 PM
i never really got into those old old old games. never was interested. if i wanted something that was heavy on imagination, i'd play D&D...which i do.

Zante
08-20-2007, 05:45 PM
Another great old RPG is Albion.
And if you are looking for some really old stuff, try the Exile series. Its quite fun even though it looks like crap.

Bunny
08-20-2007, 05:56 PM
Avernum > Exile

Zante
08-20-2007, 06:52 PM
Meh, I actually prefer the originals. The upgraded graphics in Avernum just don't do it for me, and I got used to my 6 char party.

Bunny
08-20-2007, 07:00 PM
MY WORD IS FACT

YOU ARE A DUMBY HEAD

Admittedly, I have played very little Exile/Blades of Exile, but I have enjoyed numerous games of Avernum. They're both pretty enjoyable though.

Necronopticous
08-20-2007, 07:03 PM
You need Etrian Odyssey in your life.

Laddy
08-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Ooh, some reccomendations! Hee hee, thanks guys, I'll take your advice, fellows and lasses.

Rostum
08-20-2007, 10:47 PM
Zork
Adventure? WTF? Without Zork, this forum would not have existed, it created RPG video/computer games! It's a classic, it was erm, still is... a blast!

Zork is classified as an adventure game (earlier ones being text adventure games). I don't know where RPG plays any part of Zork, as you don't actually develop your character.

Renmiri
08-20-2007, 11:52 PM

There's Fable for PC now

Curses, out scooped by at least 3 other posters!

Try some discount bins at your game store :)

Laddy
08-22-2007, 02:01 AM
A miracle has come! I have discovered a Might & Magic Tribute game demo! Woohoo! It's being worked on, and I might help out make the game, it's a miracle!!!

Bolivar
08-22-2007, 10:36 PM
I remember getting all into the original Ultima.

I want to try out some of these games...but I'm afraid...

Lawr
08-23-2007, 12:29 AM
I've got a CD Rom for-
Heroes
Of Might and Magic3

Laddy
08-27-2007, 04:02 AM
I've got a CD Rom for-
Heroes
Of Might and Magic3That's not an RPG, it's a tactical strategy game with a couple of RPG elements taking place in the M&M World.