PDA

View Full Version : Hills vs. sharks

rubah
08-20-2007, 05:24 PM
If you had to make a choice between running uphill from a shark or letting the shark catch you and having to fight it by hand, but the hill was really steep (we'll say a 45° incline) and very tall (fifteen miles tall) and you couldn't stop running for an hour (minimum 10mph) would you rather do the hour run or take your chances with the shark?

(note, if you cannot run for an hour, you will slide down the hill into the tank with the shark. The tank has metal sides you cannot climb out of. You are equipped with yourself and a tree branch)

loben
08-20-2007, 05:26 PM
ugh, can I cast magic missle?

Lucavi Rocks
08-20-2007, 05:41 PM
Sounds like your only logical move is to go sideways on the hill. I don't see that as an option though! Fighting the shark looks like the eventual outcome whether you try to run fifteen miles uphill or not so it's best to get it over with and shank that guppy with the branch you're going to need to break to get a point.

Bunny
08-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Am I a Jet?

demondude
08-20-2007, 05:52 PM
I'll seduce the shark and have sex with it we will then sleep together.
whilst sleeping I'll sneak out With nothing lost apart from my dignity.

rubah
08-20-2007, 05:59 PM
When you're a jet you're a jet all the way from your first cigarette to your last dying day.
Lucavi, if you can make it for the hour, the hill will level out and you can wait for a helicoptor to rescue you.

if you go sideways, you will slip off the narrow path into another shark tank. without a branch.

Flying Mullet
08-20-2007, 06:00 PM
Just to be a technical ass, I wouldn't run away from the shark because I'd die from lack of oxygen running up a mountain that's around 15 miles high (Mt. Everest is around 5.5 miles high).

rubah
08-20-2007, 06:00 PM
Yeah I thought about that, but I wanted to make sure that people would have something about as hard as fighting a shark as the other option.

Actually the mountain is 15 miles high. You have to run ~20 something miles to get to the top. (I took the square root of 2 into account!)

Flying Mullet
08-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Actually the mountain is 15 miles high. You have to run ~20 something miles to get to the top. (I took the square root of 2 into account!)
You know what's sad? The math nerd in me got excited when reading your initial post and read "You have to run 15 miles up a 45 degree slope." and I proceeded to find out how tall that mountain would be (10.6 miles). Then I re-read your original post and realized that the mountain is 15 miles high, not the slope's length.

Bunny
08-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Is the shark aware of your presence? Is it like, waiting for you to fall? Or is there a chance that you would get the drop on it (literally)? If so, shark is easy. If he knows I'm there, I'd wrassle with him anyway. Sounds more fun.

oddler
08-20-2007, 06:24 PM
Take my chances with the shark. It's not like I'm bleeding. :)

Agent Proto
08-20-2007, 06:26 PM
This is a lose-lose situation. :( I'd rather take the quicker way to die and face the shark.

Quindiana Jones
08-20-2007, 06:31 PM
I'd walk 50 metres up the hill, then laugh at the stupid shark for not having evolved.

bipper
08-20-2007, 06:33 PM
suck my d**********, Ima shark!

hrm, best question evar. I would say I would fight the shake by hand. Grab both gills and snap its neck. Easy peasy punkin squeezey.

kikimm
08-20-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm going to try running up that hill.

Old Manus
08-20-2007, 07:16 PM
I'd jump in the tank with the Pygmy Shark and decide not to kill it because the most it could do would be to nibble my finger, and I'm also scared of what Anaisa would say.

Yamaneko
08-20-2007, 07:44 PM
If you had to make a choice between running uphill from a shark or letting the shark catch you and having to fight it by hand, but the hill was really steep (we'll say a 45° incline) and very tall (fifteen miles tall) and you couldn't stop running for an hour (minimum 10mph) would you rather do the hour run or take your chances with the shark?
Those English classes are going to help immensely.

LunarWeaver
08-20-2007, 07:57 PM
I'd just try and run it. I doubt I'd make it through alive either way, but I'll at least give the shark a sweaty, gross, dehydrated meal

fire_of_avalon
08-20-2007, 07:58 PM
I would punch the shark in the gills.

Peegee
08-20-2007, 08:10 PM
You know what's sad? The math nerd in me got excited when reading your initial post and read "You have to run 15 miles up a 45 degree slope." and I proceeded to find out how tall that mountain would be (10.6 miles). Then I re-read your original post and realized that the mountain is 15 miles high, not the slope's length.

In either case my survival chances at a height of that magnitude (whether it's a slope length or the height of the slope) are slim to nil.

What kind of shark is it? If it's a nurse shark or even a blue shark I might want to fight it. If it's a large great white or a tiger shark I would be afraid of blood loss, even though I wouldn't be eaten. Sharks don't like the taste of humans, but they have to bite us to find out.

Flying Mullet
08-20-2007, 08:21 PM
What kind of shark is it?
<a href="http://forums.eyesonff.com/members/brian%2Bthe%2Bpink%2Bshark.html">Bryan The Pink Shark</a>

demondude
08-20-2007, 08:23 PM
What kind of shark is it?
http://forums.eyesonff.com/members/brian%2Bthe%2Bpink%2Bshark.html

I had sex with that? :eek:

Freya
08-20-2007, 08:52 PM
A shark lives in the sea, they be fishies, so sharks can't climb mountains. I'd sit and laugh at the shark and slowly walk away while taunting it.

Rengori
08-20-2007, 09:26 PM
Fight the shark, I'm not gonna run 15 miles for a stupid shark.

Denmark
08-20-2007, 09:57 PM
well, since I can't run a six minute mile on FLAT ground, there's no way i'd be able to do it up a 45 degree slope. i'd survive by gluing my feet to the side of the mountain, just out of reach of the shark, then prick myself to taunt the shark, then watch as it fails in trying to catch me AND suffocates from lack of water oxygen. owned.

bipper
08-20-2007, 10:25 PM
I would charege muh lazer.

Dirufan
08-20-2007, 10:40 PM
Me > Shark + 2

rubah
08-20-2007, 10:42 PM
which ones yams, you mean the ones i get ap credit for? :D

the shark is the kind that haunts the nightmares of anyone who saw Jaws before the age of 10.

You guys are ignoring the point of the exercise! You aren't making up a way to live, you're deciding how you want to die!

bipper
08-20-2007, 10:46 PM
I would live by not dying. It is just how I do things.

Maxico
08-20-2007, 10:52 PM
Pssh, I could outrun a shark cross country.

I might not have great lung capacity, but they don't even have lungs.

Mercen-X
08-20-2007, 11:00 PM
If you had to make a choice between running uphill from a shark or letting the shark catch you and having to fight it by hand, but the hill was really steep (we'll say a 45&deg; incline) and very tall (fifteen miles tall) and you couldn't stop running for an hour (minimum 10mph) would you rather do the hour run or take your chances with the shark?

(note, if you cannot run for an hour, you will slide down the hill into the tank with the shark. The tank has metal sides you cannot climb out of. You are equipped with yourself and a tree branch)
Ridiculosity ensues.

I'll seduce the shark and have sex with it we will then sleep together.
whilst sleeping I'll sneak out With nothing lost apart from my dignity.You can't have sex with a shark . . . you can't have sex with anyone. *Jack Sparrow-style pointing* "Unic"

You guys are ignoring the point of the exercise! You aren't making up a way to live, you're deciding how you want to die!Why would I die? If I were to go against the mountain, I'd just jam my hands inside the sharks gills and hold on for dear life on its back. But because there is no way out of the tank, I'd eventually get tired of swimming if the shark's body didn't float.

rubah
08-20-2007, 11:44 PM
*Eunuch

You would die because I have explained that you would! Take it for what it is!

bipper
08-20-2007, 11:54 PM
I don't die.

o_O
08-21-2007, 01:20 AM
A sure-fire way to win a fight against a shark is to punch it in the nose, where it has its electricity sensor thing since that's where it's most sensitive. So I choose to fight the shark.

You'd probably have gotten rid of several layers of throat by the time you got to the top anyway. What good is freedom when your lungs are full of blood? :p

abrojtm
08-21-2007, 01:27 AM
Anyone who can consistently run 10 mph uphill on a 45degree slope for more than three miles will get a personal check of $1000 dollars from me. PM me a video of it as well as your personal information.
You'd world-renowned if you could run 15miles at 10mph.
A 20-min 5K is a pretty good accomplishment, and even then, you'd only be running at 9.33 mph, but you'd only have gone 3.11 miles.

Eiko Guy
08-21-2007, 02:03 AM
Wonder twin powers.
Form of ice spears.
bloody bloody pool.

Mitch
08-21-2007, 03:09 AM
Getting eaten by a shark would be a lot cooler than getting tired.

Jessweeee♪
08-21-2007, 03:47 AM
Hmm...I would teleport.

Jojee
08-21-2007, 04:26 AM
I would kick rubah's arse for making up such a horrible situation >=(

rubah
08-21-2007, 05:26 AM
Kick the university of arkansas for making the dumb hill, jojo!

bipper
08-21-2007, 05:32 AM
I always thought there could NOT be such a thing as a dumb hill, but this questions leaves me inclined to think otherwise.

Oh yeah, I went there.

Jojee
08-21-2007, 05:51 AM
Ha ha... :p

Kick the university of arkansas for making the dumb hill, jojo! Are there sharks at the bottom of their hill?

fire_of_avalon
08-21-2007, 06:58 AM
Oh, allie, was this one of those dumb ice breaker questions for some class or something? Those never make sense.

Anyways, punching the shark in the gill is still the best way to go.

rubah
08-21-2007, 03:05 PM
no foa there's just a really big hill I live at the bottom at and I wondered if it would be better to climb it every day forever (semesters) or just to fight a shark.