PDA

View Full Version : I live in a tourist city

Peegee
08-20-2007, 07:11 PM
...I live very close to Toronto, and even so, I probably check out maybe 10 sites overall. I don't go to the museum, art gallery, amusement parks, CN Tower, pokemon center, or anything else that a normal tourist would be like WHOA over.

I'm not sure why, and it's not because I live in Toronto and I've exhausted the enjoyability of those places -- I just don't go. I've been to the art gallery of Ontario like twice in my 20+ years in this country (close to 23 now).

I'm not sure why this is, but if you have an idea, go for it. The topic however is 'does you living in a tourist place and if u do, does you visit your touristy places to hang out?'

Flying Mullet
08-20-2007, 07:17 PM
Most people don't do the touristy things in their own city/town. I grew up in a <a href="http://www.durango.org/">big tourist town</a> and didn't do much of the touristy stuff there.

Zeldy
08-20-2007, 09:08 PM
The only tourist attraction we have is this (http://www.worldofglass.com/) and no, I have never been there, nor do I want to :p

Heath
08-20-2007, 09:20 PM
The North Wales coast seems to survive off tourism and little else other than pensioners, so yeah, I'd definitely say I live in a tourist area.

A few of the tourist things I've done like going around some of the castles (through Caernarfon and Conwy are fantastic, tourist or not). I suppose Caernarfon is a fair drive from here though as it's further down the coast. Things like the beach and the promenade though are things that everyone can make use of and though I don't tend to use them so much in tourist season because it's busier, I do make use of them. I've never been on the cable cars around the Great Orme in Llandudno, which are popular though. Mostly though, I'm not sufficiently interested in things in my own backyard to plan a day out around. There's a National Trust garden (Bodnant Garden) just down the road from me that my parents have taken me to once or twice when I was younger, but I never went of my own accord.

Pictures:

Caernarfon Castle (http://www.timandcelia.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/Caernarfon%20castle.JPG)
Caernarfon Castle 2 (http://www.caernarfononline.co.uk/groupone/caernarfoncastle.jpg)
Conwy Castle (http://castles.draconian.com/images/conwy_castle2.jpg)

Rengori
08-20-2007, 09:23 PM
I don't live in Hollywood so I'm safe.

Levian
08-20-2007, 09:25 PM
I'd probably kill for raspberries if they only existed in Uruguay, but I have a bush in my yard so I end up never eating them. I guess I just don't know what I've got until it's gone.

I was going for a metaphor thingie here. :mog:

Zeldy
08-20-2007, 09:26 PM
A few of the tourist things I've done like going around some of the castles (through Caernarfon and Conwy are fantastic, tourist or not). I suppose Caernarfon is a fair drive from here though as it's further down the coast. Things like the beach and the promenade though are things that everyone can make use of and though I don't tend to use them so much in tourist season because it's busier, I do make use of them. I've never been on the cable cars around the Great Orme in Llandudno, which are popular though. Mostly though, I'm not sufficiently interested in things in my own backyard to plan a day out around. There's a National Trust garden (Bodnant Garden) just down the road from me that my parents have taken me to once or twice when I was younger, but I never went of my own accord.
Caernarfon actually looks familar, and Ive been North Wales (Llandudno and the like) quite a few times. Rhyl too, though that isnt so nice.

Værn
08-21-2007, 05:08 AM
In my town the main tourist attractions are the pop machines at the hardware store and the grain elevators.

Kirobaito
08-21-2007, 05:34 AM
I worked at my hometown's <a href="http://www.fwmuseum.org">touristy thing</a> this summer. We have other museums, too, but I haven't ever visited most of them. Never been to Joe T. Garcia's (a famous Mexican restaurant here). I've only been to the Stockyards a few times.

So yeah, haven't done most of the stuff. Probably should eventually.

bipper
08-21-2007, 05:36 AM
Everyone comes to New Richmond for it's rich.. For the amazing...

My town fucking sucks.

SnoopyG
08-21-2007, 05:42 AM
out of all the years I lived in the los angeles area, I've never been in the hollywood section.

Jojee
08-21-2007, 05:55 AM
I does not, Appleton is a nice small and peaceful town. And my college town Madison... well, I don't think it's that touristy either. I mean, who would go to Wisconsin anyway? :p

Miriel
08-21-2007, 06:01 AM
I live in LA and I'm pretty sure I've hit the major touristy things to do in this area.

Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, Universal Studios, Catalina Island, Hollywood, Santa Monica Pier, Farmer's Market, Getty Center, Griffith Observatory, etc.

But still, there's like a ton of stuff I still haven't done in the LA area.

One thing that I think is completely stupid is that people travel all the way to LA and don't even sample some of the insanely amazing food we have here. Why would you come to a place with such a thriving food scene only to eat McDonalds and KFC? Same thing is true for other areas too. When I went to Mexico, I met a couple who ate Mexican food only once while they were there. Wtf? Who goes to Mexico and eats sushi and pasta? Nuts.

Del Murder
08-21-2007, 06:03 AM
Don't forget the Tarpits!

Miriel
08-21-2007, 06:04 AM
I posted and then immediately thought, "oh I forgot to mention the dinosaur place." :p

* I call it the dinosaur place, but I don't think the La Brea Tar pits actually has any dinosaur fossils. :o

bipper
08-21-2007, 06:06 AM
I does not, Appleton is a nice small and peaceful town.

Applefest, lol.

My homearea of Osceola is absolutely gorgeous. I miss it so much. It did get a bit touristy because we have a big waterfall there, but it is the perfect tucked away and serene village. Any tourists we would get were fairly minimal, and caused little fuss. Unfortunately, like everything else, it is getting over populated and the extended burbs on the twin cities is reaching out there.

Del Murder
08-21-2007, 06:16 AM
I posted and then immediately thought, "oh I forgot to mention the dinosaur place." :p

* I call it the dinosaur place, but I don't think the La Brea Tar pits actually has any dinosaur fossils. :o
Yeah it does, I seen em!

Resha
08-21-2007, 06:25 AM
Well, yeah! I live in KL, and there's stuff like -- uhm...Malaysia Mega Sale. And of course, the Petronas Twin Towers. Those are right next to a huuuuge shopping centre in the middle of the city, and it's always filled with tourists. And the tourists ALWAYS have backpacks, and they always stand in front of the twin towers for a little while, gawping up. It's cool.

Miriel
08-21-2007, 07:33 AM

Yeah it does, I seen em!

Isn't it just tigers and mammoths and stuff?

It's been ages since I've been there. Let's go visit!

eestlinc
08-21-2007, 07:41 AM
i have been in Seattle for a year now and I have not been up the <a href=http://images.earthcam.com/spaceneedle/live.php>Space Needle</a>, nor have I visited the <A href=http://www.vrseattle.com/pages/browse.php?cat_id=75>Ballard Locks</a>, nor have I been on any <a href=http://www.ferrycam.com/>boat</a> in the city whatsoever.

Peegee
08-21-2007, 01:51 PM

Yeah it does, I seen em!

Isn't it just tigers and mammoths and stuff?

It's been ages since I've been there. Let's go visit!

Keep it to PMs you two! jk :P

It looks like we're going to have to entertain some guests in Toronto this weekend. It's amazing that we're not even sure what we want to do. Tis will be fun I say I shall.

Captain Maxx Power
08-21-2007, 02:27 PM
I live in London and I've been to a couple of sightseeing places, but only against my will. I don't go on holiday/places to go sightseeing normally, so why do it in my own town?

FYI I walk past the Thames everyday.

50calCerberus
08-21-2007, 02:55 PM
its gotta suck to live in a tourist town...sure it may be nice...but aint it noisy 24/7?:confused:

Heath
08-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Caernarfon actually looks familar, and Ive been North Wales (Llandudno and the like) quite a few times. Rhyl too, though that isnt so nice.

Rhyl is a complete dump and everyone in North Wales thinks do. I live just down the road from Llandudno.

Obsidian
08-22-2007, 08:40 PM
I've spent my entire life in Daytona Beach, San Francisco, and Daytona Beach again.

So, yeah.